Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Server Maintenance Vs General Maintenance

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I noticed in Bat Masterson's first announcement of downtime, he titled the announcement server maintenance but in the announcement said it would be general maintenance. Perhaps Bat Masterson can clarify which it is.

I think Server Maintenance = Changing Stuff in Pirate101's server in order to make the game run better, whereas

General Maintenance = Bug fixes, item additions to Pirate101, etc. It would be nice to have a clarification on which this will be or was.

Petty Officer
Jul 10, 2011
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:
I noticed in Bat Masterson's first announcement of downtime, he titled the announcement server maintenance but in the announcement said it would be general maintenance. Perhaps Bat Masterson can clarify which it is.

I think Server Maintenance = Changing Stuff in Pirate101's server in order to make the game run better, whereas

General Maintenance = Bug fixes, item additions to Pirate101, etc. It would be nice to have a clarification on which this will be or was.
Wowza! Nice job catching on! Leak alert! Oh, noes!
/.\ __________
/.....\ * DRIIIP |
| ... | ---------------/ -RRRRZZZ, Anecorbie, and all you other pirates out there! You have a mighty good eye!
\...../

Administrator
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:

Sorry about that, we kind of meant the same thing here. Server = General, unless we add update notes with new content and such.

Have you always had them posted differently? What does Server vs General mean to you in the past? We can keep to that schema!

Petty Officer
Jul 10, 2011
Bat Masterson on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:
Sorry about that, we kind of meant the same thing here. Server = General, unless we add update notes with new content and such.

Have you always had them posted differently? What does Server vs General mean to you in the past? We can keep to that schema!
Yeah, R! What does Server vs General mean to you in the past? That would be cool if you kept that schema! :D

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

I took it to mean the same thing, because, as you say - if there was any update, you would share update notes or bug fix notes or whatever.

Players of Pirate101 are simply starved for any hint or sign of new things they are willing to grasp at the lightest of straws.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013

First of all thank you for taking the time to respond to this. I hope our new community manager will continue to be on top of things.

For me, at least in the past Server Maintenance and General Maintenance equal different things.

Server Maintenance = Modifying the server of Pirate 101 to make it run better and give us a better game experience, wither it be making it so more players can be in each realm, making it less vulnerable to DDOS attacks, or even editing the number of realms and / or areas in game to give players a better experience.

General maintenance = Making different parts of the game run better, where it be fixing bugs relating to companions, pets, or even your pirate, adding new items to the game, turning on and off holiday items, and could mean several other things.

I hope that helps you Bat Masterson!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
The key word here seems to be, "Maintenance". People get very excited when they see the word, "Updates", though sometimes there have been routine updates that fall under both categories of maintenance that Rrrrzzzz419 mentioned, sometimes having to do with the server , sometimes with routine bug fixes.

There is room to improve on how this is announced. In the past, they started to put in a note about no updates (Worlds, features, new side activities etc) being added to the game, when they were doing the routine fixes and tweaks. People really want to see new stuff added, and routine notices were setting off frenzies of speculation and questions. This thread is an example of how closely people watch what KI says, because KI tends to keep really quiet about whats going on. Rumors start really easily, and people are reading the tea leaves. Then, when it's just routine bug fixes, or a small addition to the crown shop, people get very disappointed.

There is a lot of frustration going about how quiet KI tends to be. It is particularly so here on Pirate, where we see Wizard get new stuff added, while we wait a long time for anything new. Might be easier for us to wait and not lose hope if we knew something big is on the way for Pirate, for sure.