Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

pirate101 needs to go F2P

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
Luke, first of all, I'd like to applaud your efforts in attempting to sell your idea to attract more players. That being said, based on the responses you've been receiving, it would be wise to cut your losses on this one (and trust me, no one misunderstood you). I will also be honest and say that if KI ever decided to take this route with P101, I would definitely cancel my membership and uninstall this game (please bear in mind many of us chose to pay for P101 membership and all of the privileges that come with it). Moreover, I'm willing to bet that reason P101 membership seems to be "dropping like mad" is more likely due to the apparent lack of content in the game, not the because of the business model.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
Are you kissing me how ungrateful you players are. My suggestion means to loose 20 min of time out of your 24 x 7 time that I proposed. Just set the ads on and leave for lunch. This would give you free 1 week membership. You claim this would make you quit? Go ahead drop your 16 usd a month.
Many of us work jobs, have families, friends, and other interests. We don't play P101 24/7. I'll also point out that many players are youngsters who have very limited computer time -- that half hour a week would really bite into their very limited access.

I pay for 3 accounts on both Wizard101 and Pirate101. I do this with my discretionary income because I have an income. Your suggestion -- that I spend an hour and a half of my fairly limited free time watching ads and taking surveys for each account -- is not worth it to me. I would rather spend my money and get to spend all my play time playing. That's not ungrateful; that's coldly calculating the costs and benefits I get my way and yours. To me the benefit of playing whenever I like, in whatever world my pirate wants to (given his/her level) is worth the membership fees for each account. When and if I decide that benefit is not worth the cost, I will quit the game for a while. What I won't do is waste my leisure time watching commercials. There's a reason I don't do television, too.

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
I thought about an solution and I proposing a radical idea to what I said earlier but it accommodates all what you above stated.

1: remove all surveys this idea makes money without them

2: most of you stated you don't have time to watch all the adds across all the accounts and that is fair. So instead I propose to have a small box in the corner corner of the screen which would have your adds playing as you play so hey don't interfere which game play. The option to turn add sound or not is in the settings. Also it would always be running. When you want to start the box or end the box is up to you. This way eg go to work, leave the box of adds running. Each 3 adds that run give you 3 days of game time. Or 1 game day for all family accounts. This way you always have game time available as long as your playing with the ad box on. Basically king isle gets paid the more you play, and makes it in your favour to allow this box. For the math

1 ad= 1 š. X 3 = 3 / 3 days of play time X 10 : 30 bucks a month which is still 2 times the money from membership.
No hustle free game time, more money I think this is the best model for pirate101 to go F2P

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 30, 2017 wrote:
I thought about an solution and I proposing a radical idea to what I said earlier but it accommodates all what you above stated.

2: most of you stated you don't have time to watch all the adds across all the accounts and that is fair. So instead I propose to have a small box in the corner corner of the screen which would have your adds playing as you play so hey don't interfere which game play. The option to turn add sound or not is in the settings. Also it would always be running. When you want to start the box or end the box is up to you. This way eg go to work, leave the box of adds running. Each 3 adds that run give you 3 days of game time. Or 1 game day for all family accounts. This way you always have game time available as long as your playing with the ad box on. Basically king isle gets paid the more you play, and makes it in your favour to allow this box. For the math

1 ad= 1 š. X 3 = 3 / 3 days of play time X 10 : 30 bucks a month which is still 2 times the money from membership.
No hustle free game time, more money I think this is the best model for pirate101 to go F2P
Firstly, I would like to commend you for sticking to your guns on an issue that you feel strongly for. The new revised proposition you put forth I'd be okay with, assuming that;

A) Membership was still an option. It wouldn't phase me to have others gain access to what is currently members only areas by ads or zone purchasing, but I'd still like to be able to access these areas at the drop of a hat without the need to ever rely on ads, therefore membership still my preferred preference.

B) The ad system doesn't disgruntled those whom have from the day the game was released to now have purchased the zones permanently. If I was one of those players, it would more than irk me to know that my triple digit purchase is now available to everyone whom sets their character on autospin as they sleep through the night and let ads run while the pc is muted.

C) The ads running as I try to play doesn't use too much system memory. I know I'm not alone when I say that my computer struggles in heavily populated places like Avery's court at peak hours as well as when I watch the current ads to get that last 30 crowns to open the second chance chest. If having constant video streaming in the background would cause me to not be able to play the game at the same time, I'd probably choose not to play at all rather than sit there and watch the ads to generate the necessary watch time to earn member status.

These are my thoughts, and we'll done for not giving up.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm done with this subject. Even if P101 was the first game of a new business, this model would keep away customers. It's still a bad idea, IMHO.
The lack of players is due to lack of updates to storyline and side content. When KI updates P101 again those customer will re-appear and KI will regain financially.

Admiral
May 30, 2010

So you think it'd be okay to set the pirates to autospin and run the ads, thereby tying up server resources and crowding realms with non-playing pirates?

I don't want even a small part of my screen tied up with ads. Ads are antithetical to my enjoyment of the game, no matter how small the box would be. Again you run into issues of folks playing on laptops or tablets that have very small screens. The ads you see no harm in would cover part of the battleboard. They would serve as a distraction because they wouldn't fit in with the ambiance of the game.

If KI were to go through with this, then I would drop all eight of my accounts (4 from both games) because if they got away with it in Pirate they would port it over to Wizard. No way on God's green Earth could I support that kind of business model, even if they did offer some sort of membership option. That's just disgusting.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012

im so sorry to keep shooting ya down, however I prefer current model of play.. I really hate the ad idea no matter how you've presented it..

only thing i might suggest is ki offer a 15 dollar special dual-game membership, online bought only or a limited-time card with a limited amount published to encourage those who love both games to help out friends get through noob areas and cool ranch..

didja know gw2 was bought outright for many years and only recently went f2p? STILL no forcing players to watch ads..they have a huge international player-base and loads of content.. however every game has its flaws..

I take pride spending/investing money into this game via memberships and crowns.. the answer isnt giving away current content to those reluctant to buy membership.. the answer is to create love and get those nooblets some friends, support, and past Skull island.. past level 6-8 get them out into the game.. I dont want other companies ads to distract from the experience that is Pirate101, I've seen many games lose player-base for this same reason..

stormy jen silver

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
anecorbie on Mar 31, 2017 wrote:
I'm done with this subject. Even if P101 was the first game of a new business, this model would keep away customers. It's still a bad idea, IMHO.
The lack of players is due to lack of updates to storyline and side content. When KI updates P101 again those customer will re-appear and KI will regain financially.

^^This! Thank you, Anecorbie.

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
You are all being narrow minded. You need to think beyond the box. Pirate101 is not appealing to most players because it paid. There will NEVER and an increase in players to the game as long as they don't make or free. Let me explain the circle as you fail to see my point.

Need money to make content. No new content means no memberships as nothing to do. No member means no money for new content. Since no content longer members drop even more, this delays the process even more... this means no new net money coming in.

No money means the game dies, and it clear with pirate101. You as players need to see how money works yet you all proved to see in linear rather then seeing the reality in 4d. Pirate101 needs a extreme remake in order for it to have players, when the game is free all players will be willing to try as they are not loosing anything. This account would still pay king isle.

You complain you would leave the game. That is a load of bull, as if you like a game you will like it's new model weather you like it or not. Even if you all leave new players will join who like the system and they greatly out weigh your numbers. So in my suggestion either join it or get run out with the bankrupt of pirate101

Ensign
Jun 23, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Apr 21, 2017 wrote:
You are all being narrow minded. You need to think beyond the box. Pirate101 is not appealing to most players because it paid. There will NEVER and an increase in players to the game as long as they don't make or free. Let me explain the circle as you fail to see my point.

Need money to make content. No new content means no memberships as nothing to do. No member means no money for new content. Since no content longer members drop even more, this delays the process even more... this means no new net money coming in.

No money means the game dies, and it clear with pirate101. You as players need to see how money works yet you all proved to see in linear rather then seeing the reality in 4d. Pirate101 needs a extreme remake in order for it to have players, when the game is free all players will be willing to try as they are not loosing anything. This account would still pay king isle.

You complain you would leave the game. That is a load of bull, as if you like a game you will like it's new model weather you like it or not. Even if you all leave new players will join who like the system and they greatly out weigh your numbers. So in my suggestion either join it or get run out with the bankrupt of pirate101
Yeah, I think me and the "bankrupt" lot will be just fine playing what we thank you. I don't think we need pushy ad tactics. I like your enthusiasm but it's pretty narrow minded and without business experience backing it. Unless you actually DO run a company?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Apr 21, 2017 wrote:

I don't see KI as being bankrupt, nor that it is dying. Heck, it's only been a year since VA2. During the 3 year hiatus P101 experienced there were posters saying P101 was finished and washed up. And they were proved wrong.
KI is still receiving money from players of this game. Recently we had a test realm testing a new system - a game that is dying adds nothing new as it would be a waste of time & money.
I have also seen new players in Avery's Court, so to me this game is hardly finished.
And I don't believe new players would be so eager to play this game while ads are shoved in their faces.
If KI even considered this model for a moment; I WOULD leave, it would be a wrench, but I prefer this game as is. It gives me a choice as to how I play and spend my money, your way would give me NO choice at all.
So who is being narrow minded?

Administrator
Thank you for your feedback and the lively discussion.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*