Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Want some advice for companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 20, 2020
As of right now I have Old Scratch, Gaspard De Vole, Hoodoo Cornelius, Tricky Vinny, my crazy monquistador , and my monquistan explorer all in my dorm because I didn't feel they were worth having in battle. Are any of these good, should I take any of them out and allow them to join me in battle?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Shisui Uchiha on Dec 8, 2020 wrote:
As of right now I have Old Scratch, Gaspard De Vole, Hoodoo Cornelius, Tricky Vinny, my crazy monquistador , and my monquistan explorer all in my dorm because I didn't feel they were worth having in battle. Are any of these good, should I take any of them out and allow them to join me in battle?
YES,
Old Scratch is very good. He's definitely a companion to keep with you and keep training up. Being a swashie myself, I've found Gaspard De Vole also useful to keep around.

Really, all of the companions are useful through the game, for different situations. I'd recommend keeping them all with you, and putting in the time to keep them trained and leveled up.

Besides, by keeping them in your crew, you can give them tasks to get you more gold and XP.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm assuming that you're a swashbuckler as you have Tricky Vinnie (of course, you could have bought him).
Actually Tricky Vinnie & the Monquistador explorer are both good. Gaspard, too is an excellent companion and as a main quest companion ought to be used, leveled and promoted.
Old Scratch and HooDoo Cornelius would do better with a pirate class that can buff their will stat, like a privateer or witchdoctor, but they are very good companions as well. I encourage you to try them out! Come on, you spent quite a bit of real world money on Cornelius, you might as well get your money's worth!

As with all companions, it's how you train them that matters.
I'm also against storing so-called "useless" companions in a house, if you're not going to use them, then set them to tasks.
For example, give crazy monqustador a rank ( or two ) in cannoneering and set him to the Sailin' task. This will gather you extra nautical experience.
Companions can be set to get you gold, gear ( sometimes carded gear), pet snacks & pet gear, nautical experience, experience for themselves, or even training tomes (if they're the same level or higher than you.)

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Take them out, train them up and use them. Cornelius is one of my favorite companions.

When I play (and I'll be honest here and admit I haven't played much lately) I enjoy having my team on random. It gives me a chance to see what everyone can do so when I get into those big fights where I get to choose my team I already have some idea of what tactics to use with the crew and I have a better idea which crew might be best for that battle.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
since you're a swashbuckler, to be quite blunt, scratch will not be giving you great value until the late game, when you start getting higher values off poisons and his spellpower buffs start to benefit that (and your assassin bleeds, dependent on how close you stay to him.) once lategame hits, for soloing a lot of lategame scratch is a really good companion to use
corneluis is... eh. witch melee companions tend to falter due to low accuracy, damage and health. he has a reckless but it won't be of much use because he'll either die early or get blocked.
vinny gets quite a few promos, could be fine vs musketeer units in the future, probably wont see huge use on a buckler though, same with your other monquista companions.
gaspard can work, a bit hard since you can't really buff him, yet i've seen repel3/riposte3 combos on him work somewhat okay.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I have to join those who say - don't place companions in your bunkhouse - pull them out and use them!

Personally, I enjoy variety in my battles, so I have everybody. I don't care that they don't necessarily get the best boosts, sometimes not chaining criticals makes a companion live longer. Isn't it boring to see those same animations over and over and over again? Don't you want to hear some different voices now and again?

If you prefer "efficient gameplay" or are talking about PvP, then definitely listen to those who say some companions are useless. BUT, if you never use them in your battles, how would you even know what they are capable of on your crew?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
caleb10104 on Dec 10, 2020 wrote:
since you're a swashbuckler, to be quite blunt, scratch will not be giving you great value until the late game, when you start getting higher values off poisons and his spellpower buffs start to benefit that (and your assassin bleeds, dependent on how close you stay to him.) once lategame hits, for soloing a lot of lategame scratch is a really good companion to use
corneluis is... eh. witch melee companions tend to falter due to low accuracy, damage and health. he has a reckless but it won't be of much use because he'll either die early or get blocked.
vinny gets quite a few promos, could be fine vs musketeer units in the future, probably wont see huge use on a buckler though, same with your other monquista companions.
gaspard can work, a bit hard since you can't really buff him, yet i've seen repel3/riposte3 combos on him work somewhat okay.
You can get buffs for buccaneers if you're willing to spend a training point for Shark's Fury or have a pet that grants it
As for Cornelius, if you can find gear that grants Valor's Armor or Fortress then his reckless will do little damage to him. I suggest using him in team up situations with a privateer.
El Toro's Esprit de Corps should be enough to give better accuracy to any companion and giving accuracy during training helps, too!