Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Let's be Frank

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 20, 2012
KingsIsle needs to tell pirates whether this game will receive any updates. If the game will never receive another update, and membership continues to be forced upon pirates that want to play the game, it will eventually die out and probably be shut down. That's the inevitability of this.

If the game is never going to receive another update, I think that KingsIsle should follow what LOTR online and Star Wars Online did, and make the game free to play. I know, that probably causes heartburn at the KingsIsle team. But the other alternative is to continue to make it membership based and watch as the game wilts and eventually, dies.

I am a predominantly W101 player. But I am paying a subscription for Pirate101 as of right now, but I doubt I will for that much longer if these questions aren't answered. KI Live is now almost (if not) 100% Wizard101-based. We've all seen the arguments posted in other threads, so I'm not going to repeat those here. We can all see them, and all know they are true.

If the game does end up with 0 updates in the future, it should become free to play. Following the precedent set by other games, maybe if the F2P does well enough and brings enough people in, then perhaps change it back to a paying style by releasing new updates. But while there are no updates and no progress, pirates shouldn't be forced with the conundrum of either paying $10 monthly memberships, or $60 a year for a game vs abandoning the game that they love.

Administrator
DreamGalleon21154 on May 1, 2020 wrote:
KingsIsle needs to tell pirates whether this game will receive any updates. If the game will never receive another update, and membership continues to be forced upon pirates that want to play the game, it will eventually die out and probably be shut down. That's the inevitability of this.

If the game is never going to receive another update, I think that KingsIsle should follow what LOTR online and Star Wars Online did, and make the game free to play. I know, that probably causes heartburn at the KingsIsle team. But the other alternative is to continue to make it membership based and watch as the game wilts and eventually, dies.

I am a predominantly W101 player. But I am paying a subscription for Pirate101 as of right now, but I doubt I will for that much longer if these questions aren't answered. KI Live is now almost (if not) 100% Wizard101-based. We've all seen the arguments posted in other threads, so I'm not going to repeat those here. We can all see them, and all know they are true.

If the game does end up with 0 updates in the future, it should become free to play. Following the precedent set by other games, maybe if the F2P does well enough and brings enough people in, then perhaps change it back to a paying style by releasing new updates. But while there are no updates and no progress, pirates shouldn't be forced with the conundrum of either paying $10 monthly memberships, or $60 a year for a game vs abandoning the game that they love.
Hi DreamGalleon21154,

We hear you. I wish we could announce more right now. Please see Professor Falmea's latest producer's letter for more: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/producers_letter

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Bat Masterson on May 4, 2020 wrote:
Hi DreamGalleon21154,

We hear you. I wish we could announce more right now. Please see Professor Falmea's latest producer's letter for more: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/producers_letter
Wish you could? So there isn't anything? What reason have I to keep trusting your judgement if there is nothing for us?

That Producer's Letter is outdated. It came before the coronavirus pandemic and before this issue became so close and severe. The least you could do is give us an opinion that's up to date. You are dodging the real issue here.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hi DreamGalleon21154,

Not helpful, Bat. By now we're all aware of that producer's letter which started all these problems for us.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2011
Hi DreamGalleon21154,

You know Bat, I'm sure this offer will be laughed off as not serious, or ignored, but...

My summer's already here. I have *nothing* but time on my hands now, and I'd basically just spend it playing games (unproductive, I know). BUT, I would gladly give up much of that free time to help you guys work on Pirate101 on virtually anything for free - and do my utmost to match the quality you all expect. I'd love to help keep this game afloat with content.

I'm sure plenty of people would even have the same sentiment, tbh. Let me help you guys have something to announce.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Well, at least the Nautical XP Party you announced comes at the best time. Community interaction like these events may be critical in the near future, keep it up!

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015