Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Most useful companions for a swashbuckler?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 24, 2010
Hey,

The title is pretty self explanatory. Which companions should I spend my companion points on if I am a swashbuckler. Someone recommended El Toro, Fan Flanders, and Sarah Steele, but I'm not so sure about Sarah Steele. So any help would be appreciated.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I believe the most useful companion is the one that has been most recently recruited -- the one who is at or above your pirate's level and can be sent Keel Haulin' for a free training tome.

Learning to use a variety of crew skills to defeat your enemies is what I always recommend - relying too heavily on certain companions can lead to frustration when those companions get defeated. A lot depends on your play style, and which enemies you are fighting, so if you aren't sure of Sarah's abilities, try using Bonnie Anne. It may not be best for you to have a crew of all swashbucklers, a musket might save the day.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Bonnie Anne is also a must have, as her epics and damage make her easily one of the best companions in the game.

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2013
I am a level 23 Swash, doing my first run with one. I have had success with using all swashbuckler companions, but I don't forget to level up Subodai, Ratbeard, and Bonnie Anne. I never know when a swashbuckler companion will die, and I will have to use one of them.
My current crew is Fan, Sarah, and Milo. As I get new companions, I use them for either running for tomes or fighting until I feel I could do better with my old crew. I used Toreador and Froggo Villa until they ran below my level, and that worked well. I hope this helps!

-TSQ

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
You can only send a crew member Keel Haulin' if you have less than 10 Training Tomes.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The Helpful Pirate on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:
You can only send a crew member Keel Haulin' if you have less than 10 Training Tomes.
If you have more than 10 training tomes, see if you can use them to level up a companion that needs it?

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
Having my swashbuckler as my main there are many things you can do. The strongest and most broken build by far is as follows. (PVP And PVE included)

Eagle Hopolight, Fan Flanders, Brown Kobe

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
For PVE for me, my little dream team is El Toro, Sarah Steele or Fan Flanders and Bonnie Anne.

Community Leader
Lukeskywalker1313 on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
Having my swashbuckler as my main there are many things you can do. The strongest and most broken build by far is as follows. (PVP And PVE included)

Eagle Hopolight, Fan Flanders, Brown Kobe
This is not a good pvp setup. The Eagle hoplite is legitimate garbage in PvP. Toro, Fan, and a 3rd unit or Goro, Fan, Nauscia is the best pvp team combos.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Ensign
Oct 08, 2013
For PvP, I'd recommend using Fan Flanders, Goronado (or Subodai/Ratbeard if you don't have him), and Nausica (or Sarah Steele/El Toro if you don't have her).

For PvE, it depends on what enemies you're facing. Fan Flanders is an excellent choice because of his buff, as is El Toro for his buff as well. Nausica usually does very well against Musketeers, but Buccaneers can destroy her quick. Goronado can easily and quickly tank Musketeers and certain Buccaneers if things get ugly. If you don't have him, Subodai is a decent alternative.

There are countless combinations you can make for a PvE team, but my favorite to use is El Toro, Fan Flanders, and Goronado.

Ensign
Oct 18, 2012
For me I set my team as Fan Flanders, Bonnie Anne, and El Toro. Occasionally I'll switch El Toro out with Ratbeard depending how I'm feeling. I don't love Sarah Steele though because I find that she is defeated easily. So, in regards to Swashbuckler-type companions I would choose El Toro (also for his ability that helps boost accuracy and dodge stats) and Fan Flanders (because she's just fabulous). I also think that Bonnie Anne is a good choice because of her Overwatch epic when enemies approach and her ability to activate/toggle certain objects in important boss battles with puzzles (but that's totally a personal preference).

Really you just have to adjust according to your strategy. At one point I had just a big team of Swashbucklers (Fan, Sarah, and El Toro). I mean, you can picture how that worked for me... heh. Experimenting is one of the best ways to figure everything out what works for you because a Swash that has a stabby weapon has a COMPLETELY different strategy than a Swash with a shooty/stabby weapon, or a slashy/stabby one.

Hope this helps!