Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Goal Building & Morph Requesting

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
With all the recent posts for morphing requests, and the lack of proper responses, the demand for good pets is now much higher than the supply. As a tent veteran, I would like to help people build some kind of structure to their pet morphing experience, which includes setting goals for yourself and how to ask to morph.

Setting specific pet goals is something I haven't seen a lot of recently. What I mean by this is people asking for a "good" pet rather than specific talents/powers. I have seen way too many people asking for a "good musket pet", which is a completely subjective request. My version of good and your version of good might be completely different, which is why it is good to set a goal for yourself. What is your perfect pet? You have 4 talents and 3 powers to select, the first step is identifying your play style and figuring out what you need. Staying on the musket example, there are 7 shooty specific epic grants available to pets, your pet can manifest 4 talents so you will have to figure out what you value the most. A good general rule is to build on talents that you already have. Example: going for elusive, overwatch, burst fire, and doubletap for your musket pet.

Once you have your perfect pet in mind with 4 talents and 3 powers, its time to choose 4 of those to prioritize above the others. For a lot of people this means the 4 talents, or 3 talents and 1 power. Trying to get all 7 at once is just a headache and you will be left disappointed more than anything, but it is good to have that goal in the back of your mind. These 4 abilities you selected should be what you ask for when requesting to morph with someone who asks "what are you looking to get?". What that person has equip isn't there only pet and its very possible they have what you need on a different pet, all you have to do is ask. As always, be friendly and respect the other person's response to your request. Remember that demand is higher than supply, so its very possible that person can run out of gold quickly. Most importantly, just because someone has everything you need doesn't mean you will get it just by morphing with them. It is just a good stepping stone into building up the ability pool for your perfect pet.

Cheers, and good luck out there.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
It's a good idea to have a distinct goal in mind. I suspect many of those asking for "good" pets are not really sure what sorts of talents/powers would really benefit them. They're not just asking for a good bucky pet or a good muskie pet, but for some guidance what would make a pet good for their particular class. Some may not know what talents and/or powers are available via pets.

Early on, for example, I like my pets to be able to heal me or my crew. That's a good low-level pirate's pet IMO. Once my pirate can absorb a decent amount of damage, the healing becomes secondary to a pet granting me some sort of ability (depending on the pirate). Most of my non-privateers, for example, might want a pet that can grant a heal to them (as opposed to healing them). Privateers might look for a pet that gives them something that supports either their second class or boosts their privateer ability. At middish levels I rather like the pets who can charm an enemy for me. I also like the ones that give me a talent that is outside my main class's skill tree, but that might not be what someone who is going for being the most powerful whatever would appreciate.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jul 29, 2017 wrote:
It's a good idea to have a distinct goal in mind. I suspect many of those asking for "good" pets are not really sure what sorts of talents/powers would really benefit them. They're not just asking for a good bucky pet or a good muskie pet, but for some guidance what would make a pet good for their particular class. Some may not know what talents and/or powers are available via pets.

Early on, for example, I like my pets to be able to heal me or my crew. That's a good low-level pirate's pet IMO. Once my pirate can absorb a decent amount of damage, the healing becomes secondary to a pet granting me some sort of ability (depending on the pirate). Most of my non-privateers, for example, might want a pet that can grant a heal to them (as opposed to healing them). Privateers might look for a pet that gives them something that supports either their second class or boosts their privateer ability. At middish levels I rather like the pets who can charm an enemy for me. I also like the ones that give me a talent that is outside my main class's skill tree, but that might not be what someone who is going for being the most powerful whatever would appreciate.
If people don't know what kind of talents are available to pets, they could easily a) do the research (that's one of the reasons why the internet exists), even just looking up "pirate101 pet talents" can really help or b) ask the tent veterans for help if they don't have an idea.

The problem lies is when people ask they want a good (insert class here) pet and here's the thing: what do you define "good"? My idea of a buckler pet is different that another's buckler pet (for example, my buckler pet doesn't include riposte, but another one does), and that can be a problem depending if the pet's grants don't match for your playstyle.

Let's say you're a privy that plays for support (such as healing and buffing), and a "good" privy pet is an offensive set (relentless, turn the tide, etc), which wouldn't help that privy much unless they also went on the offensive. It would be much better if they said if they wanted a healing pet or a buffing pet or even a melee pet if they went melee, because then we would have an idea instead of just being "good".

Even if they don't know what they really want, they should at least give a general idea, or at least start out with talents they would want from the start rather than just give a vague "good" because it can end up being terrible for your style. This is why we get irritated if someone said they want a "good" pet without giving specifics. What if the pet doesn't end up working for you? It's a start, yes, but there are different ways you can play a class (at least in PvE) and there's no such thing as a "perfect" pet for every style of a class.

I don't have a problem with general ideas (a healing pet, charming pet, etc), but if they wanted a guidance, they could ask "what's a (generally) good pet for (class)?" rather than just asking to morph with a "good" pet. At least ask people or do the research first. And if they're not sure about their playstyle, questing or PvP helps figuring it out.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Kit Kat Kit on Jul 30, 2017 wrote:
If people don't know what kind of talents are available to pets, they could easily a) do the research (that's one of the reasons why the internet exists), even just looking up "pirate101 pet talents" can really help or b) ask the tent veterans for help if they don't have an idea.

The problem lies is when people ask they want a good (insert class here) pet and here's the thing: what do you define "good"? My idea of a buckler pet is different that another's buckler pet (for example, my buckler pet doesn't include riposte, but another one does), and that can be a problem depending if the pet's grants don't match for your playstyle.

Let's say you're a privy that plays for support (such as healing and buffing), and a "good" privy pet is an offensive set (relentless, turn the tide, etc), which wouldn't help that privy much unless they also went on the offensive. It would be much better if they said if they wanted a healing pet or a buffing pet or even a melee pet if they went melee, because then we would have an idea instead of just being "good".

Even if they don't know what they really want, they should at least give a general idea, or at least start out with talents they would want from the start rather than just give a vague "good" because it can end up being terrible for your style. This is why we get irritated if someone said they want a "good" pet without giving specifics. What if the pet doesn't end up working for you? It's a start, yes, but there are different ways you can play a class (at least in PvE) and there's no such thing as a "perfect" pet for every style of a class.

I don't have a problem with general ideas (a healing pet, charming pet, etc), but if they wanted a guidance, they could ask "what's a (generally) good pet for (class)?" rather than just asking to morph with a "good" pet. At least ask people or do the research first. And if they're not sure about their playstyle, questing or PvP helps figuring it out.
Welcome back to the Message Boards, Kit Kat Kit!