Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The cost of healing your crew.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 29, 2017
In Valencia when you join a battle, the following often happens: -

1) The enemy attacks your crew mate; epic hit, relentless, epic hit, relentless, epic hit, relentless, epic hit.. and so on.

2) Your crew mate dies.

3) You are then charged tens of thousands in gold to heal your crew mate or you have to wait for a six hour cool-down to complete.

The difficulty does not bother me, but the ridiculous prices charged to heal your crew mates is just an artificial wall inserted into the game to extend the playtime. I have paid to play this game, not to wait for absurd timers to complete before I am allowed to play the game with the characters of my choosing.

Please reduce the cost of healing crew mates.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pin Drop on May 28, 2017 wrote:

1) The enemy attacks your crew mate; epic hit, relentless, epic hit, relentless, epic hit, relentless, epic hit.. and so on.

2) Your crew mate dies.

3) You are then charged tens of thousands in gold to heal your crew mate or you have to wait for a six hour cool-down to complete.

The difficulty does not bother me, but the ridiculous prices charged to heal your crew mates is just an artificial wall inserted into the game to extend the playtime. I have paid to play this game, not to wait for absurd timers to complete before I am allowed to play the game with the characters of my choosing.

Are you defending that companion by shielding, buffing or healing them ( or simply moving them to the back away from danger )?
If a companion goes on bed rest you have 3 options:
1. Use another companion
2. Wake them up - they'll just have less health. They still have all their talents and powers.
3. Pay to revive them.
This isn't an "artificial wall " to extend the playtime - it's been a policy of KI to have us use all available companions.
If your "favorites" are constantly being defeated, maybe they aren't suited to that battle: change up your strategy and companion choice.
To quote Ratbeard: "Miracles don't come cheap. "

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
I feel you. Me and my friend were beating up sky dragons today, and my companions got hurt quite badly. We were discussing how much we despised Miracle Mitch and when my El Toro was defeated, i said

''Miracle Mitch is gonna kill my wallet.''

And sure enough, he did.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Anything that can possibly be said for and against this topic has already been said.

Numerous times.

In numerous threads.

Might I suggest you look through the archives of this forum for the hearty debates and vicious arguments?

Predictive text:

>learn to use other crew members
>don't force me to use crew members I don't want to use
>lower the fees
>abolish the fees
>pre companion overhaul patch VS post companion overhaul patch
>learn to play defensively
>smuggler's arena get
>evolve or die
>ragequit
>witchdoctors for the win
>Thread locked after 3-4 weeks of no general concensus

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
This type of comment pops up every few months. You don't need to spend a ton of gold on healing if you think about trying something new.

Changing your strategy - those crewmembers who keep getting defeated? They are probably not the best choices for the battle. USE SOMEONE ELSE - this is why we have so many companions to choose from, and why they have different abilities. There are many threads with advice on teams that others have been successful using in Valencia II, for example -- Ranged Attackers? Knockback doubloons?

Unfortunately, many pirates get into a rut only using their "A Team" of the same three companions throughout the game up to Florenza. This leaves them without any experience of the other members of their crew who could step in and win the day, if only give the chance.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Angel Angle The Li... on May 29, 2017 wrote:
I feel you. Me and my friend were beating up sky dragons today, and my companions got hurt quite badly. We were discussing how much we despised Miracle Mitch and when my El Toro was defeated, i said

''Miracle Mitch is gonna kill my wallet.''

And sure enough, he did.
He doesn't "Kill" my wallet but he roasts it and eats it for lunch, which is close enough!

Ensign
Apr 29, 2017
I've complete Valencia II, the difficulty is not the issue for me. Picking the correct companions is not an issue for me either.

Even with the correct companions and the correct build, they can be killed in one turn when an enemy gets a lucky roll of the dice.

The cost to heal that companion is too high.

Telling me to change my companion or tactics does not resolve this issue, so please refrain from doing so.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
Pin Drop on May 28, 2017 wrote:

2) Your crew mate dies.

This is admittedly an issue, and I agree the cost is a wee bit too high - but perhaps you should use different companions against specific enemies. I don't think KI will ever reduce the price, but something we should all make an effort towards is using rock against scissors rather than using paper against scissors because we like paper more. Study your enemy; use agile companions against strong ones. Even the best of players struggle with adapting to enemy types.

Also, I suggest you edit your post a bit. This is a topic that can get quite heated and I don't think any of us want this to get locked. Not telling you how to live your life, but it's just a bit of advice.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I have to agree the Miracle Mitch is a little pricey. I have paid 34,000 gold at times to heal a companion. That said, I don't think they should lower the price substantially because something like 1,000 gold would be too cheap. Perhaps they should cut the price in half, 34,000 gold would become 17,000 gold. This price seems high enough but not too cheap.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
Willowydream on May 29, 2017 wrote:
This type of comment pops up every few months. You don't need to spend a ton of gold on healing if you think about trying something new.

Changing your strategy - those crewmembers who keep getting defeated? They are probably not the best choices for the battle. USE SOMEONE ELSE - this is why we have so many companions to choose from, and why they have different abilities. There are many threads with advice on teams that others have been successful using in Valencia II, for example -- Ranged Attackers? Knockback doubloons?

Unfortunately, many pirates get into a rut only using their "A Team" of the same three companions throughout the game up to Florenza. This leaves them without any experience of the other members of their crew who could step in and win the day, if only give the chance.

So true! In the Duomo dungeon on my Swashbuckler, I was not aware of the sudden difficulty increase and my A-Team (Ridolfo Capoferro, Fan Flanders, and El Toro) kept getting defeated due to enemy criticals with Assassin's Strikes. Well, I could have asked for help, but nah. I wanted to solo it. I wanted to earn that win all alone. After blocking my ports to make sure no one ported to help me, I decided to change up my crew. I used the most odd companions, but hey they worked and I beat Duomo solo. For those of you wondering, on my Swashbuckler I used the Valencian Crab Hermit, Gracie Conrad, and Old Scratch. I also did not have Captain Blood's Jacket at that point in time, I had to make do without it. I used the Valencian Crab Hermit purely for his crab crawlie summon, Gracie Conrad for her Land Mine and War Golem summon (The War Golem's Hold the Line really helped) and Old Scratch for his Mojo Buffs, to buff my Assassin's Strike bleed out damage and my poison damage. Point being, no matter how weak a companion may seem, they all have their uses. Notice how each of my companions had a creature summon? Crab Crawlie, War Golem, and Old Scratch's Skeletal Corsair. These summons helped soak up a lot of damage by distracting the enemy. Give your other companions a chance at fighting, not every companion is useless.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 12 Musketeer)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pin Drop on May 29, 2017 wrote:
I've complete Valencia II, the difficulty is not the issue for me. Picking the correct companions is not an issue for me either.

Even with the correct companions and the correct build, they can be killed in one turn when an enemy gets a lucky roll of the dice.

The cost to heal that companion is too high.

Telling me to change my companion or tactics does not resolve this issue, so please refrain from doing so.
Our comments were meant to be helpful. We thought we were speaking to someone who hadn't finished the game. You didn't inform us that you had finished VA2; you didn't say you had "no issues" with the difficulty or picking companions.
"The cost to heal that companion is too high."
Well, you're also a max level pirate, you have many ways of gaining the gold to pay Mitch to heal that companion.
Post Edit:
Only a six hour wait for a max level companion on bed rest? Without ranks in the "Scrapper" talent? I believe this is direct proof of what Willowydream has been saying; that KI has reduced the wait time.
It used to be that a max level companion w/o ranks in Scrapper was on bed rest for slightly more than 8 hours. With 4 ranks of Scrapper the wait time was a bit more than 5 hours.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
crimsonreaper5 on May 29, 2017 wrote:
So true! In the Duomo dungeon on my Swashbuckler, I was not aware of the sudden difficulty increase and my A-Team (Ridolfo Capoferro, Fan Flanders, and El Toro) kept getting defeated due to enemy criticals with Assassin's Strikes. Well, I could have asked for help, but nah. I wanted to solo it. I wanted to earn that win all alone. After blocking my ports to make sure no one ported to help me, I decided to change up my crew. I used the most odd companions, but hey they worked and I beat Duomo solo. For those of you wondering, on my Swashbuckler I used the Valencian Crab Hermit, Gracie Conrad, and Old Scratch. I also did not have Captain Blood's Jacket at that point in time, I had to make do without it. I used the Valencian Crab Hermit purely for his crab crawlie summon, Gracie Conrad for her Land Mine and War Golem summon (The War Golem's Hold the Line really helped) and Old Scratch for his Mojo Buffs, to buff my Assassin's Strike bleed out damage and my poison damage. Point being, no matter how weak a companion may seem, they all have their uses. Notice how each of my companions had a creature summon? Crab Crawlie, War Golem, and Old Scratch's Skeletal Corsair. These summons helped soak up a lot of damage by distracting the enemy. Give your other companions a chance at fighting, not every companion is useless.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 12 Musketeer)
Bravo!

Congratulations on your ingenuity!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Can't expect everything to go your way all the time.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
In my opinion I think that the revival from Miracle Mitch is way way too high. I had to pay 45K to revive my El Toro and same with my Sarah Steele.... I then became poor (I earned some back later but still not enough to revive). I find that I lose companions to just pure poo luck. It'd be nice for the revival prices to be lowered. Also, I would like to mention that I do use different strategies and I try to be very strategic but in the end, luck defeats me and the criticals kill off my companions and the occasional unlucky case where blocking becomes not a thing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on Jun 2, 2017 wrote:
In my opinion I think that the revival from Miracle Mitch is way way too high. I had to pay 45K to revive my El Toro and same with my Sarah Steele.... I then became poor (I earned some back later but still not enough to revive). I find that I lose companions to just pure poo luck. It'd be nice for the revival prices to be lowered. Also, I would like to mention that I do use different strategies and I try to be very strategic but in the end, luck defeats me and the criticals kill off my companions and the occasional unlucky case where blocking becomes not a thing.
It's true bad luck can happen, but why should that mean that KI needs to reduce the price for a "Miracle"? If my El Toro ( or Fan ) gets the bed rest and I don't have the gold for the healing; then I simply do without them. We have many fantastic companions that can take over in battle.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on Jun 3, 2017 wrote:
It's true bad luck can happen, but why should that mean that KI needs to reduce the price for a "Miracle"? If my El Toro ( or Fan ) gets the bed rest and I don't have the gold for the healing; then I simply do without them. We have many fantastic companions that can take over in battle.
For harder battles I prefer to use my better companions but I have learned to use the other ones in the past few days just as well.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
I have a question for anyone who wants to answer, is your luck really terrible sometimes or actually just all the time? I make sure to give me companions dodgy and accuracy as much as I can but they still seem to just either miss or take every hit. It is really ridiculous and I don't really feel like playing anymore because my luck has just taken a turn for the worst. It gets to a point where I can't even play the game because all my companions die. You'll say, change your strategy or try different combos, I have tried it all but there comes a point in time where there is not a single thing you can do about it. I can't control it when enemy mobs are getting criticals on every single shot and doing 1000+ damage on me. I'm fine with a challenge but I'm not fine with this luck based system.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
I remember when I was trying to go through Valencia II with my buccaneer the game was insanely hard because I only knew buff, charge, treasure chests everywhere(1st mistake). Then the swashbuckler unicorns came out of nowhere and obliterated me. Time and time again.

So I looked at my options and my companions were set to randomise (2nd mistake). So I tried a pure buccaneer crew (3rd mistake) and charged in again (mistake #1 returns) to get cut down again (you'd think I would have learnt some hard truths about my playstyle by this point, wouldn't you?)

By the time I started to realise that I needed to rebuild my companions from the ground up and adjust my gear for a more defensive playstyle, as well as learn to mix and match my companions strategically, all of my companions were on bed rest.

All of them.

From this point I had 2 options; either pay the piper (or Mitch in this case) 2 loaded wallets worth of gold to resume, or look at the clock and realise that several hours had passed and bed rest was a sign for me to log off for the day and enjoy reality for a while.

So I sent every single wounded companion brawling because fisticuffs is a sure fire way to cure fresh wounds (and gain exp for my crew in the process, ) and logged off for the day.

The point of this story: Is spending all your gold really worth that extra half hour playtime when you could easily spend it on levelling up your companions with training tomes than sending them off brawling for even more exp?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
frostednutella on Jun 5, 2017 wrote:
I have a question for anyone who wants to answer, is your luck really terrible sometimes or actually just all the time? I make sure to give me companions dodgy and accuracy as much as I can but they still seem to just either miss or take every hit. It is really ridiculous and I don't really feel like playing anymore because my luck has just taken a turn for the worst. It gets to a point where I can't even play the game because all my companions die. You'll say, change your strategy or try different combos, I have tried it all but there comes a point in time where there is not a single thing you can do about it. I can't control it when enemy mobs are getting criticals on every single shot and doing 1000+ damage on me. I'm fine with a challenge but I'm not fine with this luck based system.
Sometimes there is just plain bad luck, yes, and not much you can do about it. However, if you feel like you're having bad luck ALL of the time, then I would suggest, respectfully, that it possibly is the way you have been playing. If you try a defensive strategy rather than bullish offensives, if you reset your companions with different talents, perhaps things would improve. Use DOUBLOONS to add armor, strength, agility, etc., and maybe find a team rather than solo.

I find that joining up with a team gives you the opportunity to watch other tactics, chat with those who are using a companion you perhaps thought wasn't very good and find out what they have done with it, etc.

This is a multi-player game, so taking advantage of having other pirates to consult is a strategy in itself.