Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

2017 Update?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 14, 2009
I just wanted to let you guys at kingsisle know about the concerns of quite a few of your customers. We're starting to get more than a little bit worried that we may not see an update this year. Everytime someone inquires they get the response of there not being anything concrete in the future, yet wizard101 is still pumping out updates. We all would really appreciate some kind of encouragement about the future of our beloved game. I know I would hate to see this game die like so many other games have in the past.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
It is a bit concerning...I really do have to agree with you there.

We receive update info and new release info regarding KI mobile games, here on the Official Pirate101 Message Boards, yet we don't really hear anything solid in the way of P101's future/update status. Well, besides the generic, hinted at whisperings of things to possibly to come. Even our recent updates are primarily recycled and/or borrowed items/enemies/places. So even using recent updates/additions makes it hard to gauge P101's future.

What also could be a bit concerning is the jump to Steam. Don't get me wrong, it may be absolutely awesome for KI (and I hope it is), but that doesn't guarantee that it will necessarily be good news for P101 and/or current members that are waiting for new content. Even if P101 migrates to STEAM, it may be great for brand new players/members, but there's no promise that it will bode well for current members or future P101 content/updates. Who knows, P101 may move to STEAM but KI may wish to only continue it at the current state and move in a different direction (would still bring in new members from the STEAM Community). Or...maybe perhaps a pirate-y explosion on STEAM, may lead to a wealth of new P101 content and updates. Or, maybe P101 isn't part of the STEAM equation at all, and only new games, W101 and mobile types of games are getting STEAM(ed). It's all speculation and a guessing game on current players parts, and that's where a lot of the concern comes from. Not hearing anything concrete and direct about P101's future for such a long time, only leads to angst and uneasy feelings.

The biggest problem is that we just don't know...there are no real promising reveals, teasers, released statements -- we're just kind of left in a Spiral Vortex-kind of limbo.

Guess we just have to hang in there, stay positive and see how it all pans out. (Would be nice to get some solid feedback/insight, though, in regards to KI's future update plans for P101)

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
diviner interventi... on May 11, 2017 wrote:
I just wanted to let you guys at kingsisle know about the concerns of quite a few of your customers. We're starting to get more than a little bit worried that we may not see an update this year. Everytime someone inquires they get the response of there not being anything concrete in the future, yet wizard101 is still pumping out updates. We all would really appreciate some kind of encouragement about the future of our beloved game. I know I would hate to see this game die like so many other games have in the past.
Don't worry, Diviner Intervention, I'm sure KingsIsle will make a new update sometime. I can't guarantee you it will be this year, but I can guarantee you that if KingsIsle doesn't update soon, Pirate101 will lose customers.

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 10 Musketeer

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
And welcome to the Message Boards, fellow marauder!

I remember when I was an Ensign!

- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 10 Musketeer

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
As someone who has played the game since it began and has 5 max levels, I must say that while an update that includes a new world would be most welcome, there is still plenty to keep me busy even without an update. I still have a bit of farming to do ( the Manticore's Sting just will not drop for my poor Privy lol ) and while my ranged classes all have near perfect pets, I still need to morph a tad bit for my melee pirates. I have also been quite busy helping new players with some of the more difficult instances in the game. My work schedule changed recently and so I am online late at night and early morning now and I see busy little pirates scampering around even at these odd hours, so there still seems to be a healthy body of players out there. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of people need more to keep them engaged than I do lol. When I see players complaining about the lack of an update, I have a few questions I always ask them. How many pirates do you have? Are they all max level and fully farmed with good class pets? There is a P101 pvp league that has tournaments for 1v1 through 4v4; have you tried it? Is your house decorated? Each of my pirates has at least 2 houses and a few of them have max items ( 300 items with the use of the Bric-a Brac Elixir ) inside and out. People always complain about being bored and I'm really at a loss to understand that because I am never bored lol.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on May 17, 2017 wrote:
As someone who has played the game since it began and has 5 max levels, I must say that while an update that includes a new world would be most welcome, there is still plenty to keep me busy even without an update. I still have a bit of farming to do ( the Manticore's Sting just will not drop for my poor Privy lol ) and while my ranged classes all have near perfect pets, I still need to morph a tad bit for my melee pirates. I have also been quite busy helping new players with some of the more difficult instances in the game. My work schedule changed recently and so I am online late at night and early morning now and I see busy little pirates scampering around even at these odd hours, so there still seems to be a healthy body of players out there. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of people need more to keep them engaged than I do lol. When I see players complaining about the lack of an update, I have a few questions I always ask them. How many pirates do you have? Are they all max level and fully farmed with good class pets? There is a P101 pvp league that has tournaments for 1v1 through 4v4; have you tried it? Is your house decorated? Each of my pirates has at least 2 houses and a few of them have max items ( 300 items with the use of the Bric-a Brac Elixir ) inside and out. People always complain about being bored and I'm really at a loss to understand that because I am never bored lol.
Well, Spiral Cowboy, I am bored ( actually beyond bored ). I have now 2 accounts with all pirate slots filled and they're all at max.
I have done all those activities you've suggested.
The only time I log on to my main account is to collect and I'm at the point where the only things worth collecting is pet stuff.
I would be willing to help lower levels but I have no way to find them ( please don't suggest that I hang out in Avery's Court on Avery Server - I hate that place and server ) and I'm not going to be sailing everywhere on the off chance of finding one. ( We desperately need a team-up kiosk. )
The only thing keeping me in the game is a third account, and I'm even more bored with that.
We need more than a story line update - we need side content or this game will just be the same old "get to max level & end up with nothing to do".
I hope this makes you understand why most players are flippin' bored!!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on May 17, 2017 wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Esperanza on this one.

Me personally, I have not had nearly enough time in game to get/stay bored. In 4 years, I've only managed to max 1 pirate with my 2nd highest being a mere, 26. I have a ton of questing I could do. I'm not into PvP & have used my max to farm all classes', desired gear. I've soloed everything I care to: Regatta; Hoof-n-Hide Highrise; Smuggler's Tea Party; Kane (100+ times) & the 'Morph up 1000 Hybrids Shack'. But when I do get time to quest on my other pirates, it's quite fresh & fun, even in good ol' rootin' tootin', boot scootin', pistola shootin', Frogerale lootin'...Cool Ranch -- yeehawww!!

But so many have been done with all of that for a couple years, minus maybe the most recent farming of the Dread & Kane & have most likely caught up on that within months of release. The daily activities keeping veterans in the game are; PvP, pets/hybrid hunting, crew collecting & farming. Many are not into PvP & even those that are, often post about waiting hours for a match. Pets have been around longer than Ratbeard's nose hairs, so it's the insanely dedicated hunters that continue along that quest (I salute you!). Many have long ago farmed the gear they desire. Housing hasn't provided much, in a long time. We could use a new house & a pack/bundle with even more decor (& other goodies). But forging, daily bounties, weekly challenges, melding (combining gears' powers/magic) would go a long way to keeping all players engaged, daily.

Personally I think boredom & lack of updates aren't the bigger issues behind any "complaining". Lack of update info & communication, in regards to the game's future, are what raise the most concerns. We just don't have any clue if & when anything is coming. KI is a bit "hush, hush" in regards to teasers, plans & update info. While other MMO's I play do let you know something is in store -- with enough detail to know/guess what may be coming, yet still enough mystery to keep it exciting & enticing.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I think that long-term players who really enjoyed the interaction with Kingsisle staff at the launch of the game are suffering most from the long stretches of silence. The fact that key staff like Ratbeard and Blind Mew disappear for months on end gives us nothing to talk about. God bless Decius for his hybrid pet hints, but even those are drying up -- not to mention that many players don't care about pet hybrids, having morphed their "perfect pets" and maybe even abandoned the Morphing Tent altogether.

I agree that we ALL need a fun reason to log in every day. Some of us can make our own goals, but many are bored and can't think of anything to do.

I really hope that our update this year will be something along the lines of Crafting or Daily Activities.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
All I can say, and Anecorbie is going to hate me for saying it, is that we got a world update a bit under a year ago, after waiting more than three years for a world update.

In that update we were informed that they had shortened the story, drastically, and cut out three other worlds, in order to bring the present arc to a conclusion. An end to the story. It even says, "The End?" at the end of it.

One possible reason for this could be that they want to take the plot in a different direction. If so, I don't think they would have that new direction ready in less than a year.

The other reason? Well, Blind Mew said it best: "You want more content, and we want to produce it. The best way to get that content made, and made quickly, is to fill the skies with new ships."

So, you want a new world? Bring in new players. It's that simple.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on May 18, 2017 wrote:
All I can say, and Anecorbie is going to hate me for saying it, is that we got a world update a bit under a year ago, after waiting more than three years for a world update.

In that update we were informed that they had shortened the story, drastically, and cut out three other worlds, in order to bring the present arc to a conclusion. An end to the story. It even says, "The End?" at the end of it.

One possible reason for this could be that they want to take the plot in a different direction. If so, I don't think they would have that new direction ready in less than a year.

The other reason? Well, Blind Mew said it best: "You want more content, and we want to produce it. The best way to get that content made, and made quickly, is to fill the skies with new ships."

Max, it says "The End..."
It doesn't mean The End ( period )
The fact that so many of our KI employees are silent tells me that they're busy - if they had nothing to do, Blind Mew would be answering the questions on his post; and Ratbeard would be making more comments on PVP and power suggestions.
Many here have brought in new players, many are encouraging friends to try this game. I don't know what else could possibly be done.
I'm also hoping that Falmea's posts of the previous months; especially after the update of VA2 - where she asked us for a shopping list of what players most wanted may be already ready for us to see.
I won't give up until the end of Summer 2017

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on May 18, 2017 wrote:

Plus, I don't know where you got the notion that 3 new worlds were "scrapped" to bring in book15 - I've re-read both of Blind Mew's posting on "Book 15... SPOILERS" and "Blind Mew's Musings return" and he never mentioned any worlds being scrapped; he only said that he wouldn't mention any world names.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on May 18, 2017 wrote:
Plus, I don't know where you got the notion that 3 new worlds were "scrapped" to bring in book15 - I've re-read both of Blind Mew's posting on "Book 15... SPOILERS" and "Blind Mew's Musings return" and he never mentioned any worlds being scrapped; he only said that he wouldn't mention any world names.
I say that based on the average level each of the new worlds got you.

Skull Island got you approximately to level 20.
Monquista got you approximately to level 25.
Valencia got you approximately to level 30.
Cool Ranch I got you approximate to level 35.
Port Regal got you approximately to level 40.
Cool Ranch II got you approximately to level 45.
Mooshu I got you approximately to level 50.
Mooshu II got you approximately to level 55.
Marleybone got you approximately to level 60.
Aquila got you to approximately to level 65.

I assumed that originally the script was to take us to level 100 (he did mention that some worlds were involved, but how many he did not say). Assuming that each world (or part of a world) raises you 5 levels, like most in the past have done, that would be 7 more worlds. I reduced the number down to 4 based on the idea that 1) Valencia II would be longer and raise you 10 levels rather than 5, and 2) some of the other worlds would also be a two parter.

Now, why do I assume that it was aimed for 100? 1) Nice round number. 2) Planned from the inception of the game. 3) Wizard101 stopped the first arc at level 50. 4) The first installment of Pirate101 stopped at level 50. All of that together says 100 to me.

Now we were left with a shortened story (the map became irrelevant. It was not supposed to be irrelevant). We never got to meet Red from Grizzleheim. etc. etc.

By scraped I mean they already had the world, plot, and script worked out. Now, they may have partially built worlds but the plot and script have been scrapped, obviously.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
The fact that so many of our KI employees are silent tells me that they're busy - if they had nothing to do, Blind Mew would be answering the questions on his post; and Ratbeard would be making more comments on PVP and power suggestions.
Many here have brought in new players, many are encouraging friends to try this game. I don't know what else could possibly be done.
I'm also hoping that Falmea's posts of the previous months; especially after the update of VA2 - where she asked us for a shopping list of what players most wanted may be already ready for us to see.
Never give up, Esperanza! At least I never will!

- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 14 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 11 Musketeer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on May 19, 2017 wrote:
I say that based on the average level each of the new worlds got you.

Skull Island got you approximately to level 20.
Monquista got you approximately to level 25.
Valencia got you approximately to level 30.
Cool Ranch I got you approximate to level 35.
Port Regal got you approximately to level 40.
Cool Ranch II got you approximately to level 45.
Mooshu I got you approximately to level 50.
Mooshu II got you approximately to level 55.
Marleybone got you approximately to level 60.
Aquila got you to approximately to level 65.

I assumed that originally the script was to take us to level 100 (he did mention that some worlds were involved, but how many he did not say). Assuming that each world (or part of a world) raises you 5 levels, like most in the past have done, that would be 7 more worlds. I reduced the number down to 4 based on the idea that 1) Valencia II would be longer and raise you 10 levels rather than 5, and 2) some of the other worlds would also be a two parter.

Now, why do I assume that it was aimed for 100? 1) Nice round number. 2) Planned from the inception of the game. 3) Wizard101 stopped the first arc at level 50. 4) The first installment of Pirate101 stopped at level 50. All of that together says 100 to me.

Now we were left with a shortened story (the map became irrelevant. It was not supposed to be irrelevant). We never got to meet Red from Grizzleheim. etc. etc.

By scraped I mean they already had the world, plot, and script worked out. Now, they may have partially built worlds but the plot and script have been scrapped, obviously.
So you assumed that they were going to give 3 new worlds. ( Well you know what they say about assuming... )

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on May 17, 2017 wrote:
Well, Spiral Cowboy, I am bored ( actually beyond bored ). I have now 2 accounts with all pirate slots filled and they're all at max.
I have done all those activities you've suggested.
The only time I log on to my main account is to collect and I'm at the point where the only things worth collecting is pet stuff.
I would be willing to help lower levels but I have no way to find them ( please don't suggest that I hang out in Avery's Court on Avery Server - I hate that place and server ) and I'm not going to be sailing everywhere on the off chance of finding one. ( We desperately need a team-up kiosk. )
The only thing keeping me in the game is a third account, and I'm even more bored with that.
We need more than a story line update - we need side content or this game will just be the same old "get to max level & end up with nothing to do".
I hope this makes you understand why most players are flippin' bored!!
you can always practice pvp with me if your bored

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
You are far more optimistic than I am.

If they were busy on a project, they would want to keep us interested and anticipating new developments, by releasing images of new areas (like they did the cave of our mother) and get us speculating. It wouldn't even have to be a new world. It could be a change to PVP or improvement on the Regatta, or a change to the Smuggler's Arena.

Silence says they DON'T have anything they want to hint us about. The more silent they are, the less likely they have anything good to tell us about. It isn't that they have nothing to do. It could be that what they have to do isn't something they want to hint at, i.e., bad news. Launched in 2012, there were two updates that same year, eight in 2013, four in 2014, one in 2015, and two in 2016, the last being over 8 months ago, and no hint of an update for some time. Hopefully we will get another Producer's letter, soon (due in the next three months if it goes according to schedule).

I'm well aware of the question mark. Had they not put that there, as soon as players reached it, the rumor (which is already out there) would be that P101 was going to shut down. That's the LAST thing they want to tell players, if there is any hope of continuing.

None the less, why would they shorten the game if the possibility wasn't there?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on May 20, 2017 wrote:
You are far more optimistic than I am.

If they were busy on a project, they would want to keep us interested and anticipating new developments, by releasing images of new areas (like they did the cave of our mother) and get us speculating. It wouldn't even have to be a new world. It could be a change to PVP or improvement on the Regatta, or a change to the Smuggler's Arena.

Silence says they DON'T have anything they want to hint us about. The more silent they are, the less likely they have anything good to tell us about. It isn't that they have nothing to do. It could be that what they have to do isn't something they want to hint at, i.e., bad news. Launched in 2012, there were two updates that same year, eight in 2013, four in 2014, one in 2015, and two in 2016, the last being over 8 months ago, and no hint of an update for some time. Hopefully we will get another Producer's letter, soon (due in the next three months if it goes according to schedule).

I'm well aware of the question mark. Had they not put that there, as soon as players reached it, the rumor (which is already out there) would be that P101 was going to shut down. That's the LAST thing they want to tell players, if there is any hope of continuing.

None the less, why would they shorten the game if the possibility wasn't there?
They were also silent throughout most of the 3 year wait before VA2. We knew we were going to Valencia again, due to the way the story line ended - it was no secret where the story was taking us next. Yet players were still wondering if P101 was going to shut down. Even you, as I recall, were one of the ones saying this and here you are saying it again.
I truly anticipate some kind of update this year. The very latest I expect will be for P101's 5th birthday. If it's not a story line update, it'll be side content - and please, by Bartleby, not just an update to ranked PVP.
And besides, except for a few instances, optimism is in my nature. It's the reason I chose "Esperanza" as my name - it means "hope".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on May 20, 2017 wrote:
you can always practice pvp with me if your bored
Ready to be beaten by you or Harry at any time!! ( it keeps me humble. )

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on May 20, 2017 wrote:
So you assumed that they were going to give 3 new worlds. ( Well you know what they say about assuming... )
LOL!

- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 14 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 11 Musketeer

(Ratbeard: Arr, I didn't get tha'. Wha' do they say 'bout assumin'?
Nora: Eh... that's for another time, Ratbeard.
Ratbeard: So Kiley, ye know wha' they say 'bout assumin'?
Brave Kiley: Nay; what do they say?
Ratbeard: I have no idea. Nora said 'twas fer another time. )

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Touche, sir. Are you a swashbuckler by any chance?

Nonetheless, I still consider it a fairly safe assumption that at least three worlds' plots were scrapped.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
They were also silent throughout most of the 3 year wait before VA2. We knew we were going to Valencia again, due to the way the story line ended - it was no secret where the story was taking us next. Yet players were still wondering if P101 was going to shut down. Even you, as I recall, were one of the ones saying this and here you are saying it again.
I truly anticipate some kind of update this year. The very latest I expect will be for P101's 5th birthday. If it's not a story line update, it'll be side content - and please, by Bartleby, not just an update to ranked PVP.
And besides, except for a few instances, optimism is in my nature. It's the reason I chose "Esperanza" as my name - it means "hope".
Actually, I think the storyline was going to end at El Dorado, so that's another world that is presently scrapped.

I expect some kind of update, but not a new world. IF we get a new world, it will be parallel to, say, cool ranch. It will mean an adjustment to the levels of the worlds afterward (and a suggestion to players past that point to go back and do the new world before continuing), since any update at this point will be there to bring in new players. You can't get new players with a new world at the end of the present one. You only keep the ones you already have.

And swearing by Bartleby in Pirate101? I don't know if he can hear you.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Yes. Esperanza also means Faith in Spanish (close enough) and it autocorrects to Resistance every time! Go Resistance!

Dashing. Leading. Reckless. Accurate. Resistance soldiers at large.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Someone on Pirate 101 central is speculating all this maintenance means an update is coming soon. Anyone here want to way in on that speculation?

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 25, 2017 wrote:
Someone on Pirate 101 central is speculating all this maintenance means an update is coming soon. Anyone here want to way in on that speculation?
I rather doubt it. I suspect someone has simply neglected to update the loader to remove the reminder. One-Eyed Jack would have posted downtime in the Captain's log for the 25th and 26th.

Did anyone bother to check if the game went down last night?

Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
How do they expect to bring in new players with 0 advertising. As it stands now, even when someone new does show up and create an account they are out of stuff to do after a few months.

KI needs to do something to bring new players to pirates, not just the player base. I think their main mistake was expecting a lot of crossover from wizards in the first place, the battle system is just too different for a lot of those players. Not sure anything can be done at this point to salvage the game sadly, but I doubt a simple side world would help any.