Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Complaint about "Mark this Spot!" button

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Mark this spot is a great feature. Unfortunately whenever I press the "page down" key the game marks the spot I am in. The problem is the page down key is adjacent to the up, down, right keys I use to move my pirate. Sometimes with a slip of my finger I press page down. This causes me to mark the spot even though I did not want to. It can be a trouble if I marked a dungeon entrance beforehand but now by pressing page down I have removed the teleport mark over there. Please fix this issue.

While I am it can you please add a golden armada gear symbol to the back of Rooke's cape and also to his armour drop the "Generals Armatura".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Mark this spot is a great feature. Unfortunately whenever I press the "page down" key the game marks the spot I am in. The problem is the page down key is adjacent to the up, down, right keys I use to move my pirate. Sometimes with a slip of my finger I press page down. This causes me to mark the spot even though I did not want to. It can be a trouble if I marked a dungeon entrance beforehand but now by pressing page down I have removed the teleport mark over there. Please fix this issue.

While I am it can you please add a golden armada gear symbol to the back of Rooke's cape and also to his armour drop the "Generals Armatura".
Since I use the WASD keys, I don't have that problem. Using the arrow keys to move nearly gave me carpel tunnel syndrome. KI doesn't need to "fix" anything if you were more observant before you hit the "page down" key.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Hey there Golden Guardian! What you're experiencing isn't a glitch, but rather one of the many keyboard shortcuts for the game. My advice, either be careful with your finger placement or purchase an external keyboard that is more spread out.

I haven't encountered any button combinations to disable keyboard shortcuts unfortunately. :(

ON a side note (this part is for the website developers, moderators please advise them ) this shortcut isn't actually listed on the official website's keyboard shortcut page. You need to add this shortcut to the list to avoid confusion.

Also on another side note, please make Kane's coat and boots drops! I really, really, really want to wear them!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Since I use the WASD keys, I don't have that problem. Using the arrow keys to move nearly gave me carpel tunnel syndrome. KI doesn't need to "fix" anything if you were more observant before you hit the "page down" key.
Let me guess, anecorbie...you're right-handed.

I'm willing to bet that he is left-handed.

I fortunately have a keyboard with separate LRUD keys from the numberpad. I would simply get a different keyboard if it did not have a separate LRUD group.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Yeah Nah sorry mate I don't agree. WASD is foreign to me. It is also foreign to a lot of players who are used to manouvering their pirate with arrow keys. Fact is some like WASD and some like the arrow keys. To those who like arrow keys, like me, page down is a nuisance at times.

"KI doesn't need to "fix" anything if you were more observant..."

Steering a video game ship or pirate, and steering a vehicle on the highway are 2 totally different things. One should be relaxing and simple, and one should require the driver to be observant. I don't need to give total attention to something as simple as moving a pirate or his ship. When dread lags and my ship health is low it's a arrow key frezny. 90% of the time I hit page down. It took me ages to realise that it was page down causing this teleport problems.

Also I don't see why KI should not fix this. It's just a suggestion that would improve ease of play for arrow key users. Have you ever noticed the apple charger for apple devices? You can insert the charger either way and it works. It makes life simple and I think it's quite clever. If apple decided to not do that, those users could have been "more observant" to put the charger the correct way. It would be a nuisance. Just like this is for me. You can't keep blaming players for trivial things like being observant in regards to moving pirates. The game does have flaws, big and small, and the shipyards is the reason why players suggest any improvements or ideas. Telling players to deal with a flaw violates the very essence of the shipyards. KI can easily fix this. Perhaps the mark key could be Ctrl + Something instead of page down. Problem solved.

To finish off, arrow key users don't care about WASD. They like the arrow keys. And they also hate it when they press page down. They are human and will press page down. I don't have the time to go buy a fat spacious keyboard. My PC works fine for my university life. Thanks for reading mate have a good day.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Mar 20, 2017 wrote:
Yeah Nah sorry mate I don't agree. WASD is foreign to me. It is also foreign to a lot of players who are used to manouvering their pirate with arrow keys. Fact is some like WASD and some like the arrow keys. To those who like arrow keys, like me, page down is a nuisance at times.

Steering a video game ship or pirate, and steering a vehicle on the highway are 2 totally different things. One should be relaxing and simple, and one should require the driver to be observant. I don't need to give total attention to something as simple as moving a pirate or his ship. When dread lags and my ship health is low it's a arrow key frezny. 90% of the time I hit page down. It took me ages to realise that it was page down causing this teleport problems.

Also I don't see why KI should not fix this. It's just a suggestion that would improve ease of play for arrow key users. Have you ever noticed the apple charger for apple devices? You can insert the charger either way and it works. It makes life simple and I think it's quite clever. If apple decided to not do that, those users could have been "more observant" to put the charger the correct way. It would be a nuisance. Just like this is for me. You can't keep blaming players for trivial things like being observant in regards to moving pirates. The game does have flaws, big and small, and the shipyards is the reason why players suggest any improvements or ideas. Telling players to deal with a flaw violates the very essence of the shipyards. KI can easily fix this. Perhaps the mark key could be Ctrl + Something instead of page down. Problem solved.

To finish off, arrow key users don't care about WASD. They like the arrow keys. And they also hate it when they press page down. They are human and will press page down. I don't have the time to go buy a fat spacious keyboard. My PC works fine for my university life. Thanks for reading mate have a good day.
So, what I'm reading here is that KI should change their system because of your mistakes? WASD was "foreign" to me in the beginning, I was used to arrow and mouse driven MMOs before I began using those keys.
Practice soon made me proficient, and now I prefer them.
"Telling players to deal with a flaw violates the very essence of the shipyards"
Nope I don't agree - it's not a flaw but KI's operating system.
"KI can easily fix this."
You can fix this at your end by watching what you're doing, instead of asking KI to undo or add to their operations.
Max had a better point when he mentioned left handed players preferring the arrow keys.
I don't use Apple, so nah, never had to notice that, ty for informing me.
Fair sailing

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I want to thank Golden Guardian for telling us about this shortcut. I had no idea about it because my page down button is no where near any of the buttons I use in game. I never hit it by accident. I agree with King Crimson that it should be added to the keyboard shortcuts page. It makes me wonder what other shortcuts aren't on the list. As for WASD vs arrow keys, guess I'm weird. I use them both, not at the same time, but depending on what I'm doing.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Golden Guardian on Mar 20, 2017 wrote:

Fair enough mate, however this isn't really a glitch or a flaw in the system, it's just an unfortunate circumstance in one unique instance.

Even though you apparently dislike the wasd set-up, KI have actually provided 3+ ways for its players to navigate the game (lucky you!)

First, there are the arrow keys, which apparently gives you grief.

Second, there are the wasd keys, which you are disinclined to use.

Third, you can hold the left and right buttons on the mouse simultaneously to run forward and turn, which I recommend for running on land, not piloting your ships, which gets tricky.

Fourth, you can hold shift then up/w, to activate the autorun feature, so that you only need to worry about turning left or right.

Fifth, (probably not endorsed by KingsIsle but works regardless) you can actually download software to link a ps4/xbox controller to your pc, and map it so that the control stick becomes the arrow keys. With this method, I also map the space bar and X button to the same key to make talking to npc's easier, and use the ps4 controller's touch pad as the mouse with movement and left/right clicking.

Sixth, literally any combination of the above. Use your imagination. Hold w for forwards and use the left and right arrows to turn. Turn on autorun and hold down the right mouse button to navigate tight corners. Shift and d/right for infinite spinning whilst you make a cuppa tea!

The possibilities are wide and varied, the tools are already at your disposal, you just need to play around for a bit and see what alternatives work best for you.

I hope that helps. ;)