Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Toreador Novillero good?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 11, 2017
I recently started a side quest in Cool Ranch to get a side companion, Toreador Novillero, since one of my friends said he was better than Froggo Villa. If anyone could tell me if he is a good companion temporarily until I get El Toro?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Malcom Kenner on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
I recently started a side quest in Cool Ranch to get a side companion, Toreador Novillero, since one of my friends said he was better than Froggo Villa. If anyone could tell me if he is a good companion temporarily until I get El Toro?
Short answer: yes, he is good. Longer answer: as with all swashbuckler companions, his health isn't very good, so I would suggest you boost all the dodge and agility you can.
I use both Froggo and the Toreador frequently; they are both good. I rate mine in the middle range between Great ( Fan Flanders ) and Terrible ( Hermit Crab ).

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Best way to find out is to use him. Not to mention, any exp and gold is always a nice bonus. :)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
King Crimson on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Best way to find out is to use him. Not to mention, any exp and gold is always a nice bonus. :)
Exactly! I always advise that players stick a new companion in at First Mate for a few battles to get an idea of their capabilities. If you never give them a chance, how will you know what they can or cannot do? If nothing else, being a Swashbuckler, you can train him with Plunderer up to Rank 3 and get extra gold from him

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
Exactly! I always advise that players stick a new companion in at First Mate for a few battles to get an idea of their capabilities. If you never give them a chance, how will you know what they can or cannot do? If nothing else, being a Swashbuckler, you can train him with Plunderer up to Rank 3 and get extra gold from him

I make them Keel Haul until I'm one level above, training tomes get expensive and depending on how slow you play, you can get at least 2 or 3 tomes from them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Malcom Kenner on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards Malcom. I use my Toreador quite a bit. His animations are fun and he gets the job done. I don't count his as an A list star but he doesn't know that and his dodge and feint are good enough that he rarely has to take any naps.

Ensign
Dec 09, 2009
If you haven't heard yet he is very good I'm at 70 and still use him he is great concentrate on his Relentless , Riposte , and Second Chance skills he also has First Strike then Dump points in him also the order of his talent's should be Tough , Rough , Agile I use this for all of my swash and that work's for me. I go for power over skill. But every one has there own way of doing it.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Short answer: yes, he is good. Longer answer: as with all swashbuckler companions, his health isn't very good, so I would suggest you boost all the dodge and agility you can.
I use both Froggo and the Toreador frequently; they are both good. I rate mine in the middle range between Great ( Fan Flanders ) and Terrible ( Hermit Crab ).
I second that!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Just keep him away from El Toro when you get him

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
I make them Keel Haul until I'm one level above, training tomes get expensive and depending on how slow you play, you can get at least 2 or 3 tomes from them.
Yes - that is another great use for new companions when they are first recruited, if you need Tomes.

Ensign
Feb 11, 2017
Sorry if I was a bit arrogant. I should've just tried him out like you said, which I did. He is okay, but I'm going to decide to bench him after I get El Toro.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it!