Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

2 questions I've been wondering...

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Though, I really enjoy the music KI composes, I have these 2 general questions to ask, in case some may be wondering.

1st question, what program did KI use to create new music themes before they're Live?

I can presume it's some sort of DAW with some significant MIDI programming, but through time, DAWs & MIDIs have greatly improved over the years.

Also, 2nd question, I can presume the audio format KI uses in their games, it is likely MP3, yes? I'm sure it's about that, since KI converts the MIDI created tunes into MP3s to ensure no playback problems occur, not like in some old games with only that format.

Well, those are what I've been wondering &, surprisingly, not many talked about that in general. If some of you are right, please post.

Thanks for answering!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Well, I had thought they had a MIDI program or something, so, I'm just wondering. That, and I'm thinking they use the MP3 format to compress their tunes.

If anyone could do some research and/or deduction on the subject, that'd be fine.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
the songs are .mp3's and the sound effects are .wav's

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
AndrewDeathblade11... on Jan 29, 2017 wrote:
the songs are .mp3's and the sound effects are .wav's
OK. Good to know. What I still don't know is what music creation program KI uses to do compositions. I'm sure it's some MIDI creation &/or sequencer they have, but I don't know which.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Trimond297 on Jan 30, 2017 wrote:
OK. Good to know. What I still don't know is what music creation program KI uses to do compositions. I'm sure it's some MIDI creation &/or sequencer they have, but I don't know which.
you know nelson everhart is the composer for like 99% of wizard101 and pirate101's music right? he has his own website and although i can't provide a link to it it's the first result when searching his name on google. judging by his bio he's not super close to kingsisle so you might wanna contact him there directly. in that same 9-paragraph bio he also possibly answered your first question, saying he teaches college students how to use avid's pro tools software, however as far as i know with my little audio editing experience nelson might be fit for something more advanced. either way you might not know until you ask him on his website.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
AndrewDeathblade11... on Jan 31, 2017 wrote:
you know nelson everhart is the composer for like 99% of wizard101 and pirate101's music right? he has his own website and although i can't provide a link to it it's the first result when searching his name on google. judging by his bio he's not super close to kingsisle so you might wanna contact him there directly. in that same 9-paragraph bio he also possibly answered your first question, saying he teaches college students how to use avid's pro tools software, however as far as i know with my little audio editing experience nelson might be fit for something more advanced. either way you might not know until you ask him on his website.
Ok, so I looked at his site, without the use of google, so you know, & while he does have a fine name in music, this still doesn't answer my question about what DAW the composers that are working at KI use today, digital or otherwise.

Through my guesses, the music theme's got many VSTis in use, likely some that are orchestral & maybe VSTi3, yet, I still don't recognize any that have been used before. Were they're EWQL instruments? NI's Kontakt's ever expanding instruments? Something?

There's also this, did KI use Pro Tools? Avid? Logic Pro? Other? I looked at a chart comparing DAWs on ask audio, which I can't provide the image link to, that you'll have to discover on your own, & it said Logic Pro X is the 2nd most popular DAW behind Ableton Live, given that mentioned program's on Mac computers only.

What I also know, whichever music creation program KI uses today, it's my understanding that has about more than about 64 audio channels... give or take, whereas Logic Pro X has about 255 audio channels(I know. ), presently, & that's a big amount towards people wanting to do total orchestrations there, & it's very easy to compose music, too, once learned how.

The other question, though, are any of the VSTis KI use today compatible with the DAWs I've talked about? If so, would that opt for fans to remix their favored themes & create their own themes to worlds, scenes & stingers, & etc.?

I was looking on info on it since to seek some answers, and my apologies about the many questions I've asked.

I wish KI could do a blog post about what music creation and which best program to use in making music to W101 & P101 one day. Maybe that may answer my questions.

Again, I know. I could ask him on his website, but, I thought someone else may know a bit more on that.

Still, what do some of you think?