Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Marleybone, and it's Colonies.

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
There is something that has been bothering me about Marleybone for some time now.
Why does the wizard101 Marleybone seem more advanced than the pirate's Marleybone.
We know from the events in Mooshu, that the first story arc of Wiz, and Pirate occur at around the same time.
So, why is Marleybone City apparently in the late 1800's to very early 1900's, while Westminster Skyway appears to be somewhere during the 1700's to mid 1800's?

I can understand why Port Regal is a bit behind. There usually is a difference in technology and fashion between a colony and its parent country/world. So Marleybone should always have newer technologies and fashions than Port Regal. But it doesn't explain why two very close parts of the same modern world appear to be almost 100 years different in terms of technology, fashion, etc.

Even the Marleybonean army is different between the two parts of Marleybone, and a military is always largely uniform throughout no matter where specific regiments are posted. (Admittedly, each regiment will have slight differences, but the still doesn't explain the glaring differences found in Marleybone.)

(okay, I realised that I kinda messed up the centuries in my first post)

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
Actually I disagree with you. Marleybone has a very strong army and its actually more organized then in wizards!
In wizards there is just guards and police but Pirates has a army of red coats a entire Royal Navy! They have admirals, captains, and officers. Marleybone has very good engineering too with war golems! Port regal is a colony so it doesnt have as much technoligy. Out of curiosity I know this takes place in the time of colonization but is port regal a form of the early United states? It is a marleybone colony.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Ryanbold2 on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:
Actually I disagree with you. Marleybone has a very strong army and its actually more organized then in wizards!
In wizards there is just guards and police but Pirates has a army of red coats a entire Royal Navy! They have admirals, captains, and officers. Marleybone has very good engineering too with war golems! Port regal is a colony so it doesnt have as much technoligy. Out of curiosity I know this takes place in the time of colonization but is port regal a form of the early United states? It is a marleybone colony.
Uh...I wasn't referring to the strength of the Marleybone army or navy, simply the time period the wizards' Marleybone City, and the pirates' Westminster Skyway appear to be set in.

My reference to the army was regarding the uniforms, the few we see in Marleybone City and in Krokotopia wear uniforms dating more from the late 1800's to very early 1900's. They're quite similar to the uniforms worn by the British Army during it's campaigns in Southern Africa, and Afghanistan in the late 1800's.

As for Port Regal, it's probably more based on the many British Colonies that existed within the Caribbean island chain, not the US.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:
There is something that has been bothering me about Marleybone for some time now.
Why does the wizard101 Marleybone seem more advanced than the pirate's Marleybone.
We know from the events in Mooshu, that the first story arc of Wiz, and Pirate occur at around the same time.
So, why is Marleybone City apparently in the late 1800's to very early 1900's, while Westminster Skyway appears to be somewhere during the 1700's to mid 1800's?

I can understand why Port Regal is a bit behind. There usually is a difference in technology and fashion between a colony and its parent country/world. So Marleybone should always have newer technologies and fashions than Port Regal. But it doesn't explain why two very close parts of the same modern world appear to be almost 100 years different in terms of technology, fashion, etc.

Even the Marleybonean army is different between the two parts of Marleybone, and a military is always largely uniform throughout no matter where specific regiments are posted. (Admittedly, each regiment will have slight differences, but the still doesn't explain the glaring differences found in Marleybone.)

(okay, I realised that I kinda messed up the centuries in my first post)
It could be that the Isle of Fetch represents a less urban developed part of Marleybone, as it is working class and industrial, there is no need to prettify the neighborhood. Barkley Square is comparable to Marleybone City in Wizard101.
The Marleybone City troops represent the best of Marleybone military ( which is why they are stationed in Barkingham Palace. )
Post edit: oops, I mean Isle of Dogs! Isle of Fetch is ( was ) a vacation paradise. And for example in New Orleans you will find a mix of time periods throughout the city. The famous French Quarter with its 18th-19 century houses just blocks away from modern office buildings!
As for the uniforms, I can't find a good explanation, except perhaps the one of: Wiz101 came first.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
Anecorbie has a point The Isle of dogs and fetch are in the more outer parts of marleybone. Marleybone city has the top of the line defenses because the majority of there people live there. I am not that sure but redcoats in the British army have been around for quite a while. Evan today there is redcoats standing in royal places in London!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 3, 2015 wrote:
It could be that the Isle of Fetch represents a less urban developed part of Marleybone, as it is working class and industrial, there is no need to prettify the neighborhood. Barkley Square is comparable to Marleybone City in Wizard101.
The Marleybone City troops represent the best of Marleybone military ( which is why they are stationed in Barkingham Palace. )
Post edit: oops, I mean Isle of Dogs! Isle of Fetch is ( was ) a vacation paradise. And for example in New Orleans you will find a mix of time periods throughout the city. The famous French Quarter with its 18th-19 century houses just blocks away from modern office buildings!
As for the uniforms, I can't find a good explanation, except perhaps the one of: Wiz101 came first.
That is true Anecorbie, Westminster skyway is a less urban developed part of Marleybone, which would explain the less fancy architecture, and the less up to date fashions, for many of the same reasons why the inhabitants of Port Regal would be wearing out of date fashions.

But it doesn't explain the differences in the army. Yes, Marleybone City would have the best regiments protecting it, but the uniforms between regiments would be mostly, well, uniform. I know each regiment would have slight differences, even including the colours of the uniforms. For example, (following the british army of the period) the rifle units, like the rangers would be wearing green uniforms. But the green uniforms looked the same as the red uniforms, just a different colour.

So, yes, Marleybone City would have the best, the most well trained regiments. And different regiment would have slightly different uniforms. But, I don't think that explains why the average Marleybone soldier in Pirates looks to be wearing a uniform that is about 100 years older than the average soldiers in Marleybone City.

I can't post picture or links here, but to illustrate my point, I suggest doing a search on the history of British Army uniforms, and it should turn up some image of various uniforms used throughout history.

(And Ryanbold2, the British Army began wearing red uniforms in 1642 during their civil war, when the parlimentary army created roughly standardised red uniforms. The red uniforms worn by soldiers guarding Buckingham Palace in London England is a modern ceremonial uniform. And those soldiers aren't always British either. Just this past summer, the guards at Buckingham Palace, were actually the Vandoos, (Royal 22nd) which is a French Canadian regiment based near Quebec City, Canada.)