Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Was One Piece Any Inspiration?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
NOTE: If you are oblivious to what I am talking about, please refer to the One Piece Wikipedia Page

If you hadn't known before, I love just about anything to do with pirates. I have been reading Eiichiro Oda's One Piece for quite some time now (several years in fact) and it, by far, is my favorite ongoing manga series. When sailing the skyways, I think of the Skypiea Arc of One Piece. I was wondering, was this idea inspired by One Piece?

The release dates for the chapters in this arc are from 2002-2003, nine to ten years before Pirate101 was released. However, the general idea of flying ships is not bound to One Piece (other examples of this include Peter Pan, Treasure Planet, and much more).

Though it may or may not be likely that Skypiea is any form of inspiration, my true question is this:

Was One Piece any inspiration for anything in the game?

Though I would love for everyone else to comment, this question is solely meant for the administrators (whomever may answer). Despite this, I would love to read anyone and everyone's input if they are so compelled to share.

- Jack

Captain
May 16, 2011
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
NOTE: If you are oblivious to what I am talking about, please refer to the One Piece Wikipedia Page

If you hadn't known before, I love just about anything to do with pirates. I have been reading Eiichiro Oda's One Piece for quite some time now (several years in fact) and it, by far, is my favorite ongoing manga series. When sailing the skyways, I think of the Skypiea Arc of One Piece. I was wondering, was this idea inspired by One Piece?

The release dates for the chapters in this arc are from 2002-2003, nine to ten years before Pirate101 was released. However, the general idea of flying ships is not bound to One Piece (other examples of this include Peter Pan, Treasure Planet, and much more).

Though it may or may not be likely that Skypiea is any form of inspiration, my true question is this:

Though I would love for everyone else to comment, this question is solely meant for the administrators (whomever may answer). Despite this, I would love to read anyone and everyone's input if they are so compelled to share.

- Jack
One question - By Skypiea Arc, are you referring to the book or the anime? Granted, I have not seen much of the One Piece anime, so I can only imagine what the Skypiea Arc is about. But personally, even if Pirate101 was not inspired(even if so) by One Piece, I would love to see a Luffy-like character somewhere in the Spiral.

Also, on the subject of anime, in the Edolas Arc of Fairy Tail, the world of Edolas has some similarities to Pirate101. I wonder if that also had some part in Pirate101? It's unlikely, but possible.

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Thunder Hawk on Feb 2, 2015 wrote:
One question - By Skypiea Arc, are you referring to the book or the anime? Granted, I have not seen much of the One Piece anime, so I can only imagine what the Skypiea Arc is about. But personally, even if Pirate101 was not inspired(even if so) by One Piece, I would love to see a Luffy-like character somewhere in the Spiral.

Also, on the subject of anime, in the Edolas Arc of Fairy Tail, the world of Edolas has some similarities to Pirate101. I wonder if that also had some part in Pirate101? It's unlikely, but possible.
Either anime or manga, actually. I don't believe that there was much of a difference, to be honest. I do agree with you about having a Luffy-based character or any of the characters from One Piece (Straw Hats or not)!

Thanks again for your input!
- Jack

Ensign
Jun 20, 2013
Honestly, I'm expecting any update now where we hear about a Monkey Captain and a crazy crew roaming the Spiral, going on adventures, for the same treasure we are.....or at least a cameo.

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
The Vagabond on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
Honestly, I'm expecting any update now where we hear about a Monkey Captain and a crazy crew roaming the Spiral, going on adventures, for the same treasure we are.....or at least a cameo.
Hmm...

That sounds good to me!

Thank you for sharing, my friend!
- Jack

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:

- Jack
Finally took the time to search and explore One Piece, and must say it's only the fact that pirate adventure stories all have certain themes and characteristics that are similar to each other.
There were even flying ships sailing the solar system in one episode of Dr. Who ( the fifth doctor, I think ) one of those ships was a pirate ship.
But I'm sure many, many sources of pirate legend and lore; historic and modern has gone into the creation of Pirate 101

Ensign
Jun 20, 2013
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Feb 5, 2015 wrote:
Hmm...

That sounds good to me!

Thank you for sharing, my friend!
- Jack
Not a prob at all....actually......I could see Zoro and El Toro getting into fights like Zoro with Sanji and El Toro with Hawkules.....what I wouldn't pay to see THAT!

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
The Vagabond on Feb 6, 2015 wrote:
Not a prob at all....actually......I could see Zoro and El Toro getting into fights like Zoro with Sanji and El Toro with Hawkules.....what I wouldn't pay to see THAT!
I've complied a list of Pirate101 characters who would look good in the One Piece character costumes or are simply just similar your for enjoyment:

Black Beard Pirates:
• Blackbeard – Ratbeard
• Jesus Burgess – Birgus Latro
• Van Augur – Old Fish Eye

White Beard Pirates:
• Whitebeard – Bouchbeard
• Marco – Wing Chun
• “Flower Sword” Vista – El Toro

Straw Hat Pirates:
• Zoro – Kobe Yojimbo
• Chopper – Generic Lamb Villager
• Franky – Gracie Conrad
• Brook – Old Scratch
• Robin – Madame Vadima

Miscellaneous:
• Jinbe – Friar Sand

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Feb 6, 2015 wrote:
I've complied a list of Pirate101 characters who would look good in the One Piece character costumes or are simply just similar your for enjoyment:

Black Beard Pirates:
• Blackbeard – Ratbeard
• Jesus Burgess – Birgus Latro
• Van Augur – Old Fish Eye

White Beard Pirates:
• Whitebeard – Bouchbeard
• Marco – Wing Chun
• “Flower Sword” Vista – El Toro

Straw Hat Pirates:
• Zoro – Kobe Yojimbo
• Chopper – Generic Lamb Villager
• Franky – Gracie Conrad
• Brook – Old Scratch
• Robin – Madame Vadima

Miscellaneous:
• Jinbe – Friar Sand
Come to think of it, Dead Mike would be a way better Brook (due to their height and the fact that they both draw attention to the fact that they are dead).