Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Deacon: Too Little or Too Much?{Spoiler}

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2010
Hey All,

About a month ago I just finished defeating Deacon. In my opinion I feel that Deacon was brief in the story line. He appeared only a few times. However after you kill him, he is only mention once by his brother, Rooke. I feel that Deacon should have played an even bigger role in our pirate's life. I know he impacted our Pirate's destiny by capturing us and he is the one that lead us to meeting Captain Boochbeard and Mr. Gandry. That's about it, I expected him maybe to live a little longer. I know the main target is currently Kane but who else feels Deacon is brief?

Does anyone else agree with me? Or do you believe that Deacon has had his say.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Waaaaay to little imo. Avery doesn't care, nobody cares. Except his brother, and you.

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50

Ensign
Jan 31, 2011
iUnknowned on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
Hey All,

About a month ago I just finished defeating Deacon. In my opinion I feel that Deacon was brief in the story line. He appeared only a few times. However after you kill him, he is only mention once by his brother, Rooke. I feel that Deacon should have played an even bigger role in our pirate's life. I know he impacted our Pirate's destiny by capturing us and he is the one that lead us to meeting Captain Boochbeard and Mr. Gandry. That's about it, I expected him maybe to live a little longer. I know the main target is currently Kane but who else feels Deacon is brief?

I have a theory that maybe all of the elite clockworks will be defeated, but eventually resurrected for more story and for a final epic battle with Kane!

Red Jason Johannson, Level 21

Captain
May 13, 2011
i thought he was the main bad guy first. you know, hes on the login pic, but true, he could have a bigger role. hes pretty much the second in command

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
I've just has a similar thought, why is Deacon's run so short? So I came up with two possible aternatives to the storyline:

1. Instead of Deacon, we fight another Armada officer.

2. Later in the game, we return to Valencia only to find out the Armada took Deacon's body from the Gold Mine and rebuild him.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2012
i want to fell the metal between my hards from the clockworks and see them tremble before me i want to kill kane and the elite clockwork so i dont care

Developer
iUnknowned on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
Hey All,

If I might offer a little perspective here...

As originally written, Deacon was not defeated at the end of Book 10 - he got away yet again. As we were starting to gear up for full beta, I changed my mind, and re-wrote the end of that quest to have Deacon be defeated. Here was my thought process:

I'm looking at a 20 Book main story, with the game going live through chapter 12. I also have 6 mega bosses - Kane and the 5 members of his court. The idea was to engineer the story so that the PC goes up the food chain, working their way through Elite Clockworks until they finally have to face Kane himself. From my perspective, if Deacon had escaped again in the Old Mine, the progression of bosses would get pretty compressed toward the end of the story. Also, if we stretched out Deacon's thread any longer, the PC wouldn't have scored a serious win through all the content we shipped with - I didn't like that. Book 10 is the halfway point of the story, it seemed a decent place to defeat your first arch enemy. It's bad enough you only get 2 of 7 Map Pieces in the live content. The defeat of Deacon was meant to be a milestone for the PCs development.

Admittedly, you didn't end up tangling with Deacon directly all that often, but I can assure you - the Armada won't soon forget what you've done. Rooke isn't the only one who thinks it's a big deal. You'll meet some other offended parties soon.

Captain
May 02, 2009
Hey, what if the clockworks revive (or rebuild) Deacon, so when we have to go through Cadiz to get the other peices of the map, we would have to fight all of them in a line like Deacon, Phule, Bishop, Rooke, the female clockwork, Kane.

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Blind Mew on Feb 21, 2013 wrote:

As originally written, Deacon was not defeated at the end of Book 10 - he got away yet again. As we were starting to gear up for full beta, I changed my mind, and re-wrote the end of that quest to have Deacon be defeated. Here was my thought process:

I'm looking at a 20 Book main story, with the game going live through chapter 12. I also have 6 mega bosses - Kane and the 5 members of his court. The idea was to engineer the story so that the PC goes up the food chain, working their way through Elite Clockworks until they finally have to face Kane himself. From my perspective, if Deacon had escaped again in the Old Mine, the progression of bosses would get pretty compressed toward the end of the story. Also, if we stretched out Deacon's thread any longer, the PC wouldn't have scored a serious win through all the content we shipped with - I didn't like that. Book 10 is the halfway point of the story, it seemed a decent place to defeat your first arch enemy. It's bad enough you only get 2 of 7 Map Pieces in the live content. The defeat of Deacon was meant to be a milestone for the PCs development.

Admittedly, you didn't end up tangling with Deacon directly all that often, but I can assure you - the Armada won't soon forget what you've done. Rooke isn't the only one who thinks it's a big deal. You'll meet some other offended parties soon.
Oh that explains everything, thanks for clearing things up. I still wished we could ahve heard him say something right before he got destroyed though, that would have made significant.

Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2010
Blind Mew on Feb 21, 2013 wrote:

I understand how it is now Blind Mew. Takes for clearing it up.