Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

confused about buying a ship in crown shop

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 02, 2012
Why are they different levels? Do you put them in shared bank ( that is even if there is one ) if you grow out of them and replace with a new one closer to your level? Sorry for all the questions but this game is confusing for me.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
valerian ice on Oct 2, 2015 wrote:
Why are they different levels? Do you put them in shared bank ( that is even if there is one ) if you grow out of them and replace with a new one closer to your level? Sorry for all the questions but this game is confusing for me.
Ships, Houses, and Companions cannot be traded between Pirates using the Shared Bank. Any Crown Shop purchases will show up in the Gift Received area and, when you choose to receive the "Gift", the Pirate you are on will receive that "Gift". Usually, if you already have one of that Gift (of those listed above) in your inventory, it will not be shown or be grayed out since you can have only 1 of these type of items. I don't think you can have more than one Ship Type (defined as Origin and Type of Ship).

The reason for the different Ship levels is that higher level Ships usually have better statistics. Once you buy a Ship, that Ship level will not change. You can buy a Ship that you can grow into as you level up, but if you choose to do this, don't buy a Ship that has too much of level increase since you won't be able to use it soon.

If you reach an area where you are having trouble defeating enemy Ships, it might be time to upgrade your Ship. This means that you will have to get a new Ship of probably a different Ship Type. If you have a choice and the Gold, buy either a Galleon, Frigate, and Skiff in that order. At worst, the Ship can always be sold back for Gold but you won't get anywhere near what you paid for it.

(Continued)

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
(continuation)

One way your Ship can become better is to equip it with better Ship Equipment but only if your Naval Experience meets or exceeds the Ship Equipment Requirements. Ship Equipment (and Ships) can be obtained from the Crown Shop (for Crowns or Gold), from Ship Vendors (for Gold) throughout the Spiral, or by blowing enemy Ships out of the sky. The ones in the Crown Shop are usually slightly better in terms of lower Naval Experience Requirements and/or better statistics/powers.

One of the cheapest ways (and, in my opinion, the best) to get Ship Equipment is to blow the Ships out of the sky without boarding or being boarded. This gives you a chance to get Ship Equipment as part of your loot. Make sure you pick up any debris floating where the enemy Ship was (looks like boards and boxes floating in the sky). If you don't need the Equipment (it's statistics are the same or lower than what you have), it can be sold for Gold in the Bazaar or at Ship Vendors.

Make sure to keep your Naval Experience within 1 or 2 levels of your Pirate's level. You will have to work at this - sort of like framing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This game has its confusing moments for everyone, that's why this board exists. The ships have different levels so you can buy a ship to use now or buy a higher level ship to use later. You can't place a ship in the shared bank ( sorry ). When you grow out of a ship you may place it in your "shipyards" in your house or sell it.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
If you're confused about something in the game, you came to right place to ask for help Valerian Ice.

All ships within the game have levels, with each world having it's own set of differently styled and appropriately leveled ships. The special ships for sale in the crown shop are the same way. There are multiple levels for the Haunted Galleon, so that a greater majority of players can enjoy the ship.

For example the level Haunted Galleon is meant for lower level pirates, the higher level galleon is intended for higher level pirates. When you buy the ship, the level of the ship will not increase as your pirate continues to level up. Instead, it's a very good idea to obtain new ships every so often that better reflect the level of your pirate, as well as the level of the enemy ships that you are facing.

However, as you play the game, you will get some new ships for free as part of the story line. Other ships you will have to buy for gold from the ship dealers. But, the ships for sale in the crown shop are generally stronger than their non-crown shop equivalents.

Just remember, you can't use a ship that is of a higher level than your pirate's nautical level.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 3, 2015 wrote:
If you're confused about something in the game, you came to right place to ask for help Valerian Ice.

All ships within the game have levels, with each world having it's own set of differently styled and appropriately leveled ships. The special ships for sale in the crown shop are the same way. There are multiple levels for the Haunted Galleon, so that a greater majority of players can enjoy the ship.

For example the level Haunted Galleon is meant for lower level pirates, the higher level galleon is intended for higher level pirates. When you buy the ship, the level of the ship will not increase as your pirate continues to level up. Instead, it's a very good idea to obtain new ships every so often that better reflect the level of your pirate, as well as the level of the enemy ships that you are facing.

However, as you play the game, you will get some new ships for free as part of the story line. Other ships you will have to buy for gold from the ship dealers. But, the ships for sale in the crown shop are generally stronger than their non-crown shop equivalents.

Just remember, you can't use a ship that is of a higher level than your pirate's nautical level.
Actually, the Ships that you use depends on the level of your Pirate, not his Nautical Level. The Ship Equipment does depend on the Nautical Level of your Pirate. So if you want to use the best equipment that you find or buy, keep your Nautical Level within 1 to 2 levels or your Pirate level. This is something you may have to work at since just following the story line usually does not give you enough Nautical Experience to do this so som Nautical Experience farming must be done Unfortunately, your Nautical Level cannot be higher than your Pirate's level.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 5, 2015 wrote:
Actually, the Ships that you use depends on the level of your Pirate, not his Nautical Level. The Ship Equipment does depend on the Nautical Level of your Pirate. So if you want to use the best equipment that you find or buy, keep your Nautical Level within 1 to 2 levels or your Pirate level. This is something you may have to work at since just following the story line usually does not give you enough Nautical Experience to do this so som Nautical Experience farming must be done Unfortunately, your Nautical Level cannot be higher than your Pirate's level.
You are absolutely correct. It has been quite a while since I was in the market for a new ship, I guess I had forgotten which level determines the usable level of a ship. So, thank you for the polite correction.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 5, 2015 wrote:
Unless they've changed it, your nautical level can be higher than your Pirate level up to the max level. If you're having your crew getting nautical XP you can only get 1 level higher than your pirate level, but it still seems to award you the nautical XP from quests.

Ensign
Oct 02, 2012
Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it. I really wanted that Halloween ship badly but now have decided against it and will save gold to buy them as I level up. I was really hoping they could be leveled up in some way so that I could buy it but it makes no sense anymore to do so.
Thank you again for all your input.