Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion healing TOO punishing/out of balance?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Alright I've encountered this issue for awhile and I don't think the time sorting for companions to heal was thought out entirely. Mojo potions are now no longer what saves your companions, but just you, which SEVERELY removes their usefulness. Now you have to wait a specific time for companions to heal. Now for the beginning of the game you just have to go get a drink out of your fridge and your companions are healed. But for The higher levels, you have to wait for HOURS. Now I know the answer to this some were thinking were: Well just wake them up as wounded/Be better at fighting/Miracle Mitch FTW!/Use other companions/etc.. But A:If that companion was defeated with THAT health, what makes you think they'll work in a harder fight with less? B: The A.I. in Pirate101's combat is top-notch in the later game, which I have a love-hate relationship with. They KNOW focus fire on one companion WORKS to weaken the player. C:Miracle Mitch is a nice option, but runs you BONE DRY on gold if used more than 1-3 times. D: Usually people use their best companions or favs. Why eliminate the use of them in later levels? So really I feel like something should be fixed. Either make mojo potions able to heal a companion HALFWAY between wounded and total or be Person specific (One Mojo=One full heal, which could be cool), make Miracle Mitch a BIT more able to use frequently, remove A.I.'s focus fire tactic (Which I actually appreciate, don't remove that, but it's an option) Or make the time taken in later levels avoidable/Less punishing. Mostly all of the issues I listed are what happen in dungeons, so maybe make some kind of option in dungeons to heal? Or something. Feel free to give better ideas than I did to fix this (I'm certain there are) or argue for/against this post with experiences/opinions.

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
Yes, what is the use of mojo potions, unless you are in a dungeon/ship battle? I feel like they are un-used
Noble John Parker, Level 65

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Yes what happened in the olden times, when we can revive our companions by the life fountain ? To me it was a great way to revive companions. I guess the companions who are at the very bottom of the rank started to complain about being benched all the time. Oh well just use every companion on the crew who are not busy, rather than favoring the " top companions". Just train them well around 1 or 2 level below your main character. Have some back up companions like the next 2 or 3 rows on the first page train them well also, just in case they are defeated in battle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This issue has been addressed time and time again. Why are you using the same companions with the same tactics over and over? IF they were that good, then they wouldn't be defeated and need 'bed-rest'.
This is a wake-up to players who only use a certain core group of companions and ignore the other wonderful companions they have. Keep your second and third tier companions as near as your level as you can, and then you won't be hurting so much when you favorite takes a nose dive to the floor!
Buying tomes is a lot cheaper than buying Miracle Mitch's services!
Advanced companions is WAY better than the old style companions we had! Remember benching? Didn't you absolutely hate when an under leveled companion turned up in random battle order?
Stop complaining about your faves 'resting' and use the wonderful options KI has given us to make our companions useful and battle-ready.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
What is the point of having pages of companions if you only use three or four all the time every time?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Aye, I was very disappointed with the Advanced Companions update. How often do you actually send your companions to do something? The only companion I send for tasks is Nurse Quinn, cause what else am I going to do with her? Honestly, I find absolutely NO benefit to the Advanced Companions. It takes them a long time to complete a task and receive minimum rewards. Now when my companions die is another can of worms. I have to wait HOURS for my El Toro to get revived. If anybody says "use beefier companions", you'll feel my fury. As a swashbuckler, it only makes sense to bring El Toro and Fan. Both are with amazing buffs for me. Unfortunately, as Swashes, they have VERY low armor. They can only get so many dodges against enemies. I can't count the number of time I've lost either or both of them in Moo Tower. Miracle Mitch charges arm plus leg to revive companions for you, especially later in game. Using a wounded companion makes no sense, since they will just die quicker. I hope KI makes reviving companions easier in the future, cause I'm sick of waiting/clearing my wallet.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
I get where you are coming from, Truly I do. That said, I don't believe the punishment for allowing a companion to die is excessive. personally, i think it should be even more harmful. companion bed rest effectively FORCES pirates to keep at least one set of backup companions for combat (personally, i almost never lose any companions, but i like to keep at least 6 backup combat companions on hand at all times. (be, be, be prepared...)

Additionally, one of the great failings of W101 is that there is almost no punishment for failure. in P101, losing companions (even if you win the fight) is extremely unfortunate. this FORCES players to keep adapting strategies and to use multiple companions, whether they want to or not.

Finally, although the AI IS exceptional, its hardly unbeatable. yes, enemies focus fire, but you can use that to your advantage! for instance, shield and buff a tank, (say ratbeard) and chuck him at the enemy. they are likely to get their first hits off on him, and classify him as a 'weakened' enemy, and therefor worth focusing upon. if you can then take out the enemy while they focus on your buffed tank, then voila, your golden. just keep the tank alive.

The companion bed rest system for P101 is neither excessive nor unnecessary. it forces players to be at least a little bit innovative. if you use your 'favorite' companions for every fight, your gonna eventually come to a fight that puts you in a REALLY bad matchup. but if you keep things changing and manage to avoid getting stuck in a rut of repetition, your golden.

Good Luck.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
It just might be that your favorite companions are always getting wounded because they are NOT the best ones to be using in the battles you are in at this point. You cannot use the same three companions all of the time, because the enemies are changing with each skyway you reach. Using a variety of companions encourages you to develop different strategies to win, rather than the same one-two punch you've been relying on.

As you said, "If that companion was defeated with THAT health, what makes you think they'll work in a harder fight with less?" Well, if that companion was defeated with THOSE skills, what makes you think they'll survive the next battle with the same talents?

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
Aye, I was very disappointed with the Advanced Companions update. How often do you actually send your companions to do something? The only companion I send for tasks is Nurse Quinn, cause what else am I going to do with her? Honestly, I find absolutely NO benefit to the Advanced Companions. It takes them a long time to complete a task and receive minimum rewards. Now when my companions die is another can of worms. I have to wait HOURS for my El Toro to get revived. If anybody says "use beefier companions", you'll feel my fury. As a swashbuckler, it only makes sense to bring El Toro and Fan. Both are with amazing buffs for me. Unfortunately, as Swashes, they have VERY low armor. They can only get so many dodges against enemies. I can't count the number of time I've lost either or both of them in Moo Tower. Miracle Mitch charges arm plus leg to revive companions for you, especially later in game. Using a wounded companion makes no sense, since they will just die quicker. I hope KI makes reviving companions easier in the future, cause I'm sick of waiting/clearing my wallet.

if toro is dying that often, either your playing poorly (in a tactical sense) or your simply wrong about him being the natural choice. again: if what you are doing doesnt work, then YOU need to change. not the game. if bed rest didnt exist, there would be no punishment for players and they could just chuck companions at the enemy like they were insignificant.

Commodore
May 31, 2009

First of all, as a max Swash, you have about 30 companions just sitting there waiting for...what? Tasking! Even though it may take some time, the rewards are worth it. It astounds me that you think it's pointless and that there's no benefit. I have my entire crew maxed and all but 10 on task, evenly split between Pet Wranglin' and Scavengin' (the gear sells for more than Plunderin' brings back normally) and my pirate is not suffering for it.

Now, you CAN use 'beefier' companions even as a Swashbuckler; in fact, it makes perfect sense to have a tank like Ratbeard in your team. I almost always have Subodai as my firstmate because he is absolutely amazing. Even though he's not going to be benefited by Fan's agility buff, he deals and absorbs his fair share of damage for you. As I said, Ratbeard is also a good choice for his powers.

In the tower, I only use El Toro against the Terror-cotta warriors because of his accuracy/dodge buff. He's too squishy for the other floors. Yes, he dies every once in a while, but some sacrifices must be made.

I personally don't pay Mitch to revive my companions; I just use a different set until my usual team or team member comes off of bed rest. Yes, I do think the 6-hour penalty for maxed companions is a little steep, but it's easily overlooked if you can change your strategy and use different companions

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Alright I'm seeing that I missed my mark on what I was trying to say. This is mostly directed at how easy the game is at running you dry on useful companions. Of course I have an extra set I use from time to time for certain occasions, everyone should, but what I'm getting at is how punishing it can be in the long run. So you use your strongest set, correct? one of them gets shot down. Then you get the option to: Rope it back in as a weaker version or replace it with something (theoretically, IDK if people use companions just due to emotional value or strength value, I'm the second.) weaker. As I said originally, I'm mostly directing this at dungeons. Pretty much every dungeon gets harder and harder fights further in (Combat types are a variable, but usually follow suit) So it just doesn't help when you make your arsenal weaker for harder fights, and you get the option to run your wallet dry or just restart the dungeon the next day (Seriously, 6 hours is NOT pleasant) Now the emotional thing, folks will just have to grow up, I'll give that. But that's ONE good thing. Every other thing simply burns out the pirate. It's hard enough at times to survive a dungeon in the FIRST place! (Armada turret fortress without assistance? Yeah, don't do that, I tried it, it wasn't fun) I just feel they could have thought out how companions heal better. I also don't get this defense about using other companions. Before this update that was ALREADY the case if your strategy with your current ones truly stunk! Sure you got 1-3 mojos in your pocket, but 3 mojos won't last your companions a WHOLE Aquilan labrynth if you had poor choice, will it? All I'm saying is, there's no benefit from this. It just made difficulties where there was none. I'm not saying it should be eliminated, I'm requesting it to be lightened up a bit so one can actually do a dungeon and actually GET money rather than lose it. That was the point of them in the first place, GETTING money. So. Any benefits now?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
There is a way to make that wait time shorter, I'm just surprised no one has mentioned it. Train your best, strongest, favorite companions in 'Scrapper'. At 1st rank, this allows them to heal 10% faster, at second rank 20% faster. I have done this on a few of my companions; I was wondering about that 6-7 hour wait time, the longest I've had to wait for a ( favored ) companion was 5 and a half hours!

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
There is a way to make that wait time shorter, I'm just surprised no one has mentioned it. Train your best, strongest, favorite companions in 'Scrapper'. At 1st rank, this allows them to heal 10% faster, at second rank 20% faster. I have done this on a few of my companions; I was wondering about that 6-7 hour wait time, the longest I've had to wait for a ( favored ) companion was 5 and a half hours!
Reason why no one has mentioned it: That ALSO decreases it's potential in combat. And that's STILL 5+ Hours. Does that seem like a reasonable time for just a main pivot of the game to be operational fully again? (Or a reasonable spending of points for) What upside is there to this update that wasn't made fine by the original? Now you'll have to pardon me if I seem rude, but I'm just a bit salty about the situation, and not in the positive pirate salty way...

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Willowydream on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
It just might be that your favorite companions are always getting wounded because they are NOT the best ones to be using in the battles you are in at this point. You cannot use the same three companions all of the time, because the enemies are changing with each skyway you reach. Using a variety of companions encourages you to develop different strategies to win, rather than the same one-two punch you've been relying on.

As you said, "If that companion was defeated with THAT health, what makes you think they'll work in a harder fight with less?" Well, if that companion was defeated with THOSE skills, what makes you think they'll survive the next battle with the same talents?
I can tell others must've had the same issue of whom you've dealt with before, but please don't make assumptions as to how I play. I actually use my arsenal of companions, I have plenty of backups, and every strategy and mixture i can muster just isn't as effective as the 2 sets I have with a "One-Two" feel. Trust me, I've ran experiments with companions of the same level in different combat areas/typings. One is simply better. And when focus fire happens... (Still, I appreciate the A.I. being smart, one of the reasons I enjoy P101, but not the after-effect.) That's when your useful companion tree begins to dwindle. Now I'm not saying wounded just NERFS the companion, but it has a chance to turn into a vicious cycle, rendering their health crippled. This has happened to me several times in a dungeon with multiple different companions, and it quite frustrated me. Maybe I'm plain horrible at the game, but my holding off exceptionally well in a pvp arena says otherwise, companions and all. Plus talents have uses in other battles. There's NO predicting how many melee to ranged units appear in a fight, so the skills they have may be useful, may be not. Get the idea?

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
Alright I'm seeing that I missed my mark on what I was trying to say. This is mostly directed at how easy the game is at running you dry on useful companions. Of course I have an extra set I use from time to time for certain occasions, everyone should, but what I'm getting at is how punishing it can be in the long run. So you use your strongest set, correct? one of them gets shot down. Then you get the option to: Rope it back in as a weaker version or replace it with something (theoretically, IDK if people use companions just due to emotional value or strength value, I'm the second.) weaker. As I said originally, I'm mostly directing this at dungeons. Pretty much every dungeon gets harder and harder fights further in (Combat types are a variable, but usually follow suit) So it just doesn't help when you make your arsenal weaker for harder fights, and you get the option to run your wallet dry or just restart the dungeon the next day (Seriously, 6 hours is NOT pleasant) Now the emotional thing, folks will just have to grow up, I'll give that. But that's ONE good thing. Every other thing simply burns out the pirate. It's hard enough at times to survive a dungeon in the FIRST place! (Armada turret fortress without assistance? Yeah, don't do that, I tried it, it wasn't fun) I just feel they could have thought out how companions heal better. I also don't get this defense about using other companions. Before this update that was ALREADY the case if your strategy with your current ones truly stunk! Sure you got 1-3 mojos in your pocket, but 3 mojos won't last your companions a WHOLE Aquilan labrynth if you had poor choice, will it? All I'm saying is, there's no benefit from this. It just made difficulties where there was none. I'm not saying it should be eliminated, I'm requesting it to be lightened up a bit so one can actually do a dungeon and actually GET money rather than lose it. That was the point of them in the first place, GETTING money. So. Any benefits now?
the benefit is that the player has to play better. plain and simple, no fluff or kindness. if your losing companions in such a way that you cannot progress, you need to:

A) adapt and adjust tactically to different situations: a one trick pony WILL NOT WORK IN A STRATEGY GAME.

B) Guard your companions with your life. an interesting part of pirate is that if the player is killed, companions can still win the fight and the player will revive afterwards with one hp. in other words: A good captain is the one that is carried by their crew, not the one that sacrifices them.

I have soloed every dungeon in the game (except the tower) on every class (except for WD, who i am just now entering monquista with) with success. did I lose companions? sometimes. does everyone lose companions? of course. why do you think that you get so many companions? because your expected to lose some. what ISNT expected is for players to look at an obvious and good solution (Using 'weaker' companions) and say "IMPOSSIBLE!" your tools (companions) are only as good as the Carpenter (you).

I've said it before, and i will likely say it again: the game does not adapt to you. your the one who needs to adapt.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I really need to learn to type a post then come back to it in 2 hours or something cause I hate what I wrote in hindsight. I myself haven't used the task feature than often, but I think I need to learn to do so. It could be a great way to boost my nautical level since I have a handful of companions that never do anything(this is because of lack of strength. I'm talking companions like the crazed monquistan crossbowman and Nurse Quinn). I do cling to the Toro and Fan buffs too much. I have Black Fog and Great Juju; those are amazing to have with me. I complained too much. My play style, as I found out last night after nearly getting annihilated in a PvP match, is far too aggressive for the companions I have with me, and for me in general. I key in too much on damage and am blind to how the other stats affect me. I can't count the number of times I've forgotten I have flanking because of Nefarious Knives(not blaming the knives, it's my bad).

Again, idk what mindset I was in when I wrote my first post.

Ensign
Apr 30, 2013

I totally I agree with you!

Yes, yes it does have ups but I normally use the same strategy and I hate using others!

I have some backups if some of my best one die but still!

Smart Aedan Zest

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
The Awesome Flyer on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
I totally I agree with you!

Yes, yes it does have ups but I normally use the same strategy and I hate using others!

I have some backups if some of my best one die but still!

Smart Aedan Zest
i dont mean to be rude, or mean, but this a truth (and i think it is applicable in life as well) :

if you always use the same strat, you will inevitably eventually fail. sorry if that sounds mean, but it is true. when playing chess, if you start a tactic and refuse to change that tactic, YOU WILL LOSE. in advertising, if you only ever advertise in a certain way or to a certain group, YOU WILL FAIL. if your ever play P101 and refuse to change up your strategy, you will at the very least lose some companions.

now, i'm not trying to put KI when i say this, but here is an area where P101 is infinitely better than W101.

In wiz, you could do the same thing in every . . . single . . . fight. blade, trap, buff, hit, wash, rinse, repeat. throw in a heal if things get a little hairy. but in Pirate, every fight is a little different. lots of different things can happen if you maneuver your crew into the right position. it is a VERY GOOD thing that people can't just do the same boring thing over and over again. repetition isnt fun. repetition is tedious. new and exciting and different fights that P101 brings to the table are awesome. variety is the spice of life, and it seems like you dont even want salt with that.

(woo, Mickey D's joke!)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
Reason why no one has mentioned it: That ALSO decreases it's potential in combat. And that's STILL 5+ Hours. Does that seem like a reasonable time for just a main pivot of the game to be operational fully again? (Or a reasonable spending of points for) What upside is there to this update that wasn't made fine by the original? Now you'll have to pardon me if I seem rude, but I'm just a bit salty about the situation, and not in the positive pirate salty way...
I've lost companions, oh yes and it's painful to lose a favorite; no denying that. Thanks to the Tower, I've been able to pay Mitch's stellar fees ( should I need to ).Decreases potential in combat? If the time comes and I can't get a particular talent for a companion ( like extra dodge for Sarah, why not train her in "Scrapper"? ) Shaving two hours off a recovery time seems useful to me.
When the story up-dates, don't you think a rank 3 or 4 "Scrapper' will be handy? If this happens, I'm seriously considering training ALL my companions in that talent!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Blixet on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
the benefit is that the player has to play better. plain and simple, no fluff or kindness. if your losing companions in such a way that you cannot progress, you need to:

A) adapt and adjust tactically to different situations: a one trick pony WILL NOT WORK IN A STRATEGY GAME.

B) Guard your companions with your life. an interesting part of pirate is that if the player is killed, companions can still win the fight and the player will revive afterwards with one hp. in other words: A good captain is the one that is carried by their crew, not the one that sacrifices them.

I have soloed every dungeon in the game (except the tower) on every class (except for WD, who i am just now entering monquista with) with success. did I lose companions? sometimes. does everyone lose companions? of course. why do you think that you get so many companions? because your expected to lose some. what ISNT expected is for players to look at an obvious and good solution (Using 'weaker' companions) and say "IMPOSSIBLE!" your tools (companions) are only as good as the Carpenter (you).

I've said it before, and i will likely say it again: the game does not adapt to you. your the one who needs to adapt.
Lots of good stuff said here. I really do love this quote though: "A good captain is the one that is carried by their crew, not the one that sacrifices them." Well said.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Truthfully, its not punishing enough i think, although i rarely experience this, only when i lag in moo manchus tower of gold(forgive me for not placing a fort on you egg shen) or when im running smugglers late at night do i lose someone, although when i finish smugglers its usually 3 am and ill be asleep until 1 pm so i never have to visit mitch

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Here is the routine I use:

Every time my pirate goes up in level, I find the most convenient stopping point, mark my spot, and head to Skull Island.

Once there, I use up all of my saved training tomes and level up as many of my pirates as I can. I buy more tomes and send out all leveled companions keel haulin', or brawlin' until all companions are the same level as my pirate. I then continue the keel haulin' until all companions are holding a training tome or are out keel hauling. I then buy ten more training tomes before I collect the tomes from the companions. That stash will be used when the pirate levels up the next time.

By keeping all of my companions the same level as my pirate and putting companions in preferential order, I alway have a companion to step into a spot taken by a fallen companion. It also makes it FAR less likely that any companion will end up being defeated in the first place.

Now, yes, the process to get all those training tomes takes several days, I have three pirates I can play at any time. The other three are all level 65 and are going out scavengin' and putting their booty in the shared bank for other pirates to draw from to sell and buy training tomes. This means that I am usually only a day away from playing again.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
I dont want to them to get rid of the companion "faints", but frankly, could they half the time of everything? Half time that bed rest takes, half the time that healing take regularly, keep mitch's prices the same. Also could they make is so that you can use fainted companions in the brawling hall? That would be great.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Max DeGroot on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
Here is the routine I use:

Every time my pirate goes up in level, I find the most convenient stopping point, mark my spot, and head to Skull Island.

Once there, I use up all of my saved training tomes and level up as many of my pirates as I can. I buy more tomes and send out all leveled companions keel haulin', or brawlin' until all companions are the same level as my pirate. I then continue the keel haulin' until all companions are holding a training tome or are out keel hauling. I then buy ten more training tomes before I collect the tomes from the companions. That stash will be used when the pirate levels up the next time.

By keeping all of my companions the same level as my pirate and putting companions in preferential order, I alway have a companion to step into a spot taken by a fallen companion. It also makes it FAR less likely that any companion will end up being defeated in the first place.

Now, yes, the process to get all those training tomes takes several days, I have three pirates I can play at any time. The other three are all level 65 and are going out scavengin' and putting their booty in the shared bank for other pirates to draw from to sell and buy training tomes. This means that I am usually only a day away from playing again.
Thanks, Max, you've answered a question I had about keel haulin': If I'm at 10 tomes can I still collect from my crew? That's a big relief for me to know I can, and may make my companion tasking just a bit different than it is now.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
But why is that companion a main pivot? Why are you so heavily dependent on just a few companions?