Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Hoodoo Cornelius needs to get looked at

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
It's almost like the developers looked at this companion and thought: Hmm lets make this melee companion super weak.

He hardly lands a finger on people.
His health is low.
His epics are not usual he can only have 4 let alone cant get relentless 3
And he hardly dodges

Thanks ;-)

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
He is one of my favorite companions, but that is largely because I like monkeys and he is so cute. I have three of the little fellows scattered over two accounts. Of the bundle companions, he is the weakest, I agree. However, the HC assigned to my mid-level Privateer performs much better than his counterparts assigned to a witchdoctor and a swashbuckler. The Privateer's boosts help counter the weaknesses you note. I can understand the developers not wanting to make his "Going bananas" power too nasty by limiting his accuracy and giving him lower life points (both characteristics of witchdoctors like HD), but doing both to the extent they did means that he is not a particularly effective companion compared to the Shark buccaneer, Handsome Dan, and especially Nausica. So a little tweaking would not be amiss, I agree.

I tend to hold him back for the first round or two of a melee (while the Privateer is throwing up accuracy boosts, dodge boosts, etc.) and then send him in as a finishing assault.

-Indigo

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Kieran the Great J... on Dec 24, 2014 wrote:
It's almost like the developers looked at this companion and thought: Hmm lets make this melee companion super weak.

He hardly lands a finger on people.
His health is low.
His epics are not usual he can only have 4 let alone cant get relentless 3
And he hardly dodges

Thanks ;-)
He is already quite powerful, as when I use him, he is super deadly. Just give him a couple buffs, put a Valor's Armor on him, and let him cut down the enemies. However, some tweaking could be beneficial. I don't know exactly how much tweaking would be needed to make him powerful, but some tweaking would be nice. If you all are hoping for a small monkey with the OP power of Naucisa, then don't get your hopes up lol! However, if he could be made close to as powerful as Naucisa, that would be good!

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
warriorscreed on Dec 26, 2014 wrote:
He is already quite powerful, as when I use him, he is super deadly. Just give him a couple buffs, put a Valor's Armor on him, and let him cut down the enemies. However, some tweaking could be beneficial. I don't know exactly how much tweaking would be needed to make him powerful, but some tweaking would be nice. If you all are hoping for a small monkey with the OP power of Naucisa, then don't get your hopes up lol! However, if he could be made close to as powerful as Naucisa, that would be good!
Those couple buffs only go so far. He rarely activates relentless and when he does he usually misses.

And being small has nothing to do with this lol. I'm not even looking for him to be op to be honest.

And Naucisa isnt even op lol

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I had a long reply going, and klutzily closed firefox instead of another program I meant to close, losing the reply. So, short version: in the last few days Karic, my privateer, has gone from lvl 31 to lvl 37. He uses only primate crew, so Hoodoo shows up fairly often. During these fights (from Port Regal through the beginning of the Haunted Skyway) Hoodoo has consistently been my top performer. With Esprit de corps up (25% boost to accuracy and dodge), and the Marchioness's Calm the Troops, Hoodoo becomes a little panzer division all by himself. Highlights = taking out two fresh frogerales by himself in a single round, and last night killing the unwounded Waco Kid all by himself in a single round. None of my other companions could have accomplished either of these feats.

I have a Hoodoo with a Witchdoctor character, and a Hoodoo with a Swashbuckler character. Neither is anywhere near as effective. The 25% bonus to his accuracy from esprit de corps and the boost to Will from Calm the Troops appear to make the critical (often literally) difference.

I am not disagreeing with your initial premise Kieran; quite the reverse. The fact that he is very strong with one class and fairly weak with the others (at least I assume his performance with Buccaneers and Musketeers is similar to when he works for swashies and witchies) indicates that some adjustment might be a good idea - mostly likely upping his core accuracy a bit so that he lands more than one or two hits when he uses "Go Bananas".

-Indigo

PS this post really is shorter than the original...

Ensign
Jun 02, 2010
I certainly have to say he is a little underpowered naturally alone, but like stated before a valor armor and he's usually good to go, I farm a lot for items that give valor armor and I often find myself attaching 2 or 3 to him and he can take down 7 opponents without fail, my valor armor gives 1380 protection so go bannanas barely scratches him. In conclusion yes he's low powered and is ok with a unique strategy and some buffs, but he could certainly use a revamp, it would be very helpful.

-Charming Rachel Everhart (65 Witchdoctor)

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
All I'm going to say is that Hoodoo Cornelius once single-handedly defeated the Nefarious Five while me and my friends were in a pickle.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
What will a valor's armor do if he cant even attack?

I was fighting Old Scratch while he was lvl 56 and he MISSED.

All of these requirements to make him at least decent is unnecessary. Forcing people to focus their gear just so a companion can be decent should not be the case.

Plus not everyone is a privateer.