Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Enforced slow-down close to port

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
I am enjoying the game, but the enforced slow-down when you are close to a port is intensely irritating when you are travelling from A-B and stray too close. In some areas it just seems to go on forever as you creep past an island on your ship. I would love to see this mechanic removed.

Community Leader
Chinspinner on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
I am enjoying the game, but the enforced slow-down when you are close to a port is intensely irritating when you are travelling from A-B and stray too close. In some areas it just seems to go on forever as you creep past an island on your ship. I would love to see this mechanic removed.
or at least have a decreased radius! It makes sense to have the ships slow down as they come in to port, but when you're on the opposite side from the city and trying to scoot past by jellyfish or something, it can take an awfully long time to get back up to full speed.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Talkin The Plank on Jan 28, 2013 wrote:
or at least have a decreased radius! It makes sense to have the ships slow down as they come in to port, but when you're on the opposite side from the city and trying to scoot past by jellyfish or something, it can take an awfully long time to get back up to full speed.
I agree, its quite frustrating to have an island/land mass that you are clearing by a considerable amount, still slow the ship to a crawl. Clear sky/space... yet it slows you for no apparent reason (other than getting close to an island/landmass that is still some distance away).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
I agree, it is quite annoying. I don't really know why it is included, since you can't actually crash.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Perhaps they will later add a bit of ship equipment that will allow you to ignore this effect.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
KiwiChickenz on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
I agree, it is quite annoying. I don't really know why it is included, since you can't actually crash.
Maybe for some "realism"? I doubt original pirate ships would enter in a port at max speed beside of that mad Jack Sparrow .

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
Clownsanity on Jan 30, 2013 wrote:
Maybe for some "realism"? I doubt original pirate ships would enter in a port at max speed beside of that mad Jack Sparrow .
I also doubt they would have traveled with a speaking fox and a walking shark.

Community Leader
Chinspinner on Jan 30, 2013 wrote:
I also doubt they would have traveled with a speaking fox and a walking shark.
No, that part is historically accurate. Most pirates in the 1800's would travel with at least a few animorphs.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Clownsanity on Jan 30, 2013 wrote:
Well, putting the situation in perspective.
If I am on the backside of a landmass (nowhere near its "port") then why should the landmass thats nowhere close to my ship still slow the ship.

Realism in a fantasy MMO? I doubt that has anything to do with it. How many boats/ships in real life stop on a dime when they drop anchor? NONE!!! ;)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV