Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The whole Star Wars thing

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 28, 2009
I noticed you keep referencing star wars when you talk about this game; Your pirate is a Solo to your Wizard's Skywalker, you quoted Luke when you said Cool Ranch is "farthest from the bright center," and compared book 4 to entering the Deathstar in a new hope. Also, seeing that digger is a bit like that one planet we saw blow up, cause it tells you what they are willing and able to do with the worlds they capture. Was this comparison something you were thinking of when you came up with and designed the game, or is it something you thought of later on?

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
I have not seen or read about star wars,so I can not help you.Sorry!

Community Leader
Jazzaram on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
I noticed you keep referencing star wars when you talk about this game; Your pirate is a Solo to your Wizard's Skywalker, you quoted Luke when you said Cool Ranch is "farthest from the bright center," and compared book 4 to entering the Deathstar in a new hope. Also, seeing that digger is a bit like that one planet we saw blow up, cause it tells you what they are willing and able to do with the worlds they capture. Was this comparison something you were thinking of when you came up with and designed the game, or is it something you thought of later on?
Star Wars is a good example of the "Hero's Journey", a pattern of narrative identified by Joseph Campbell that is extrememly common through out all forms of story telling. If you read through it, it sounds like a synopsis for most of the movies/books/games you've experienced. That makes Star Wars, one of the most widely seen (especially by the video game playing demographic) examples of this narrative style, an easy comparison point when discussing story arc intent. He may have had SW in mind while he penned the story for Pirate101, but I imagine it was moreso trying to explain one of the tenets of the hero's journey.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Talkin The Plank on Dec 5, 2012 wrote:
Star Wars is a good example of the "Hero's Journey", a pattern of narrative identified by Joseph Campbell that is extrememly common through out all forms of story telling. If you read through it, it sounds like a synopsis for most of the movies/books/games you've experienced. That makes Star Wars, one of the most widely seen (especially by the video game playing demographic) examples of this narrative style, an easy comparison point when discussing story arc intent. He may have had SW in mind while he penned the story for Pirate101, but I imagine it was moreso trying to explain one of the tenets of the hero's journey.
Yes, and "Lord of the Rings" came before that. I am sure others can quote an example of the "hero's journey" before LoR.

Community Leader
Ruby Blades on Dec 5, 2012 wrote:
Yes, and "Lord of the Rings" came before that. I am sure others can quote an example of the "hero's journey" before LoR.
Homer's Odyssey? I'm sure more teenagers have read that then have seen Star Wars, right?

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Talkin The Plank on Dec 6, 2012 wrote:
Homer's Odyssey? I'm sure more teenagers have read that then have seen Star Wars, right?
Probably not, but we are all a well rounded group here, right?