Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crew Members.

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
It seems that your first companion, and the companion you get when you first meet Ratbeard are determined by your pirate class.

However, in creating your character, you pick two other options, how you lost your parents, and where you grew up. Do either of these affect the crew you get? I suspect the crew member you get when you storm the Presidio is based on how you lose your parents, since that character presents you with their ship. Haven't verified this yet.

Also, I just finished the upgrade quest for Barnabus (Buccaneer) and there was something odd in it, I thought. You go out to defeat the Mighty Quint (oh, BTW, the puns in this game are wonderfully awful). Now, obviously, if you manage to defeat the ship without being boarded no crew members get involved, but you would think that if you board or get boarded, one of the crew members OUGHT to be Barnabus, because the hammerhead shark in charge of the Buccaneers tells Barnabus afterwards what a great job he did. This kind of rings hollow if he was never involved in the fight at all.

Anyone notice something similar with the other crew members you get at that point (which would include Ernest the otter, Susan the mouse, etc.)?

Community Leader
Max DeGroot on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
It seems that your first companion, and the companion you get when you first meet Ratbeard are determined by your pirate class.

However, in creating your character, you pick two other options, how you lost your parents, and where you grew up. Do either of these affect the crew you get? I suspect the crew member you get when you storm the Presidio is based on how you lose your parents, since that character presents you with their ship. Haven't verified this yet.

Also, I just finished the upgrade quest for Barnabus (Buccaneer) and there was something odd in it, I thought. You go out to defeat the Mighty Quint (oh, BTW, the puns in this game are wonderfully awful). Now, obviously, if you manage to defeat the ship without being boarded no crew members get involved, but you would think that if you board or get boarded, one of the crew members OUGHT to be Barnabus, because the hammerhead shark in charge of the Buccaneers tells Barnabus afterwards what a great job he did. This kind of rings hollow if he was never involved in the fight at all.

Anyone notice something similar with the other crew members you get at that point (which would include Ernest the otter, Susan the mouse, etc.)?
How you lost your parents determines the companion that joins you as you complete the Presidio dungeon.
Storm - Milo Graytail
Armada - Gaspard
Shipwreck - Jack Russell
My memory escapes me as to the others.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Community Leader
As has been posted elsewhere:

How’d You Lose Your Parents?
This question determines which Companion later joins your crew. This companion will be your fourth in game and you find them while raiding The Presidio.
Mutiny! = Dead Mike (Undead Pirate)
Shipwrecked! = Jack Russell (Dog Pirate)
Armada! = Gaspard de Vole (Guinea Pig Guard)
Storm! = Milo Greytail (Rat Brigand)
Squid Attack! = Birgus Latro (Crab Thug)

Where’d Ye Grow Up?
This question determines your natural talents in the game, which give you a specific permanent bonus to your Pirate.
Mooshu, Born Warrior, +5% Damage (better for Privateers);
Skull Island, Born Sneak, +5% dodge (better for Swashbucklers);
Marleybone, Keen Eyes, +5% accuracy (better for Musketeers);
Krokotopia, Naturally Spooky, Increased Power Effects (better for Witchdoctors);
Grizzleheim, Naturally Tough, +5% health (better for Buccaneers).

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!