Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Training Companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 28, 2010
I have been trying to keep my companions trained up to my level... A couple of them have been left behind in training and today I went to train them and noticed that when you train them immediately when you level to keep them at the same, it cost 4 training points. Yet if you let them fall behind further, it takes only 2 training points... is this right? Companions that have been sitting at level 20 while I'm not 25 only took 2 points to level for each level .... this doesn't seem right. Now the reason I'm a little dismayed about this is that I have used crowns to purchase gold in order to keep them leveled and it's costed a lot of gold/crowns.. but apparently if I had waited and not trained them it would have taken less and now I feel like I've been robbed by KI for the amount of crown to gold conversion I have used.

I'd like to hear from someone from KI on this matter.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Hey CoopKoda.

I am not a KI staff member, but I would not mind sharing some info with you. :)

The longer you wait to level up companions, the more the training points will be worth. Your training points at level 30+ for example would level up a level 20 companion 3+ levels.

Us Alpha players have worked out some good "strategy" when it comes to training points and companions. (Without spending huge amounts of gold/crowns). Back then however, keep in mind that we also did not have any training points to purchase from a vendor, so we really had to make it work, or start over, essentially.

Wait until each one of your training points can raise your companions by at least one whole level. That way, your companions will never be more than 3 levels behind you. You do 'sit' on a lot of training points for a good while that way, but trust me, you'll get so many different companions, you will need them.

It is a very good idea to level each and every single companion, except maybe those in the 1-10% range. Because, getting the wrong companion in a tough fight could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

Fortunately, you can buy training points now. The only way to get good amounts of gold that you could actually farm however, seems to be from tough skyway battles.

I do hope you can make your companions/training still work. When I started my Witchdoctor during the alpha, I had spent each and every single training point as soon as I got them, and ended up with only a single companion at top level, with the rest being 5+ levels behind. Bonne Anne the Fox was still sitting at level 2, and in fights at level 15+ I STILL got that companion picked for me, putting me in a very nasty disadvantage.

I am one of those people that becomes discouraged quickly, and very unhappy, knowing that I had done something that can not be reversed. I never played that Witchdoctor again.... which was unfortunate, Witchdoctor is a very cool class to play.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
CoopKoda on Oct 20, 2012 wrote:
I have been trying to keep my companions trained up to my level... A couple of them have been left behind in training and today I went to train them and noticed that when you train them immediately when you level to keep them at the same, it cost 4 training points. Yet if you let them fall behind further, it takes only 2 training points... is this right? Companions that have been sitting at level 20 while I'm not 25 only took 2 points to level for each level .... this doesn't seem right. Now the reason I'm a little dismayed about this is that I have used crowns to purchase gold in order to keep them leveled and it's costed a lot of gold/crowns.. but apparently if I had waited and not trained them it would have taken less and now I feel like I've been robbed by KI for the amount of crown to gold conversion I have used.

I'd like to hear from someone from KI on this matter.
KI has already commented on this matter. The below quote was taken straight from the Player's Guide:

"Tip! Level Up with Fewer Training PointsThe further apart you are from your Companion in levels, the more levels they gain when you spend a training point on them. For instance, if you are level 50 and your Companion is level 1, a single training point could net them around 14 levels. The closer the Companion is to your level, the less they gain from each training point."

https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/players_guide/companions/training

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I am not from KI but what you describe is correct and, as you increase your level, it takes more Training Points to level up your Companions (I am a level 22 Privateer and, if they were level 21 and I wanted to increase Companions level to mine, it would take between 6 and 8 Training Points). What I do about leveling up my Companions is to wait until I can use 1 Training Point to increase them at least 1 or 2 levels. This means that they will always be behind me in levels but as long as I and they can survive, who cares.

In the Player's Guide (which I suggest you read carefully - especially tips), there is a tip under Pirate's Companion - Training which specifically tells you how to level up your Companions with fewer Training Points.

Ensign
Feb 28, 2010
I don't always read a training guide prior to playing a game... in this case I kind of wish I had...

This type of information should be included in some type of tutorial within the game... they spent time to develop a training tutorial in Wizard101 on how the values of the spells worked and how power pips worked, so to me the information about training points should be spelled out a little more clearly... lesson learned....