Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Do Privateers need a Heavy Damage Power?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Sooo, this was brought up in another post briefly (I can't remember which) by a person (I can't remember who) who said that Privateers need a power that does loads of damage. Now I know that Privateers are buffers and don't partake in the fighting at all usually but sometimes when I'm fighting with others I wish that I could, speaking as a privateer, could do some serious damage without being ribbed on by the other players. Who agree's privateers should get a damage spell? Big guns just isn't bringing it anymore...

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
a damage spell would be nice if it fit with the class, but it doesn't, a power that reduces all enemy shields would fit more with the class

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Duke of Westminste... on Apr 28, 2015 wrote:
Sooo, this was brought up in another post briefly (I can't remember which) by a person (I can't remember who) who said that Privateers need a power that does loads of damage. Now I know that Privateers are buffers and don't partake in the fighting at all usually but sometimes when I'm fighting with others I wish that I could, speaking as a privateer, could do some serious damage without being ribbed on by the other players. Who agree's privateers should get a damage spell? Big guns just isn't bringing it anymore...
I retract my request for power.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
If you want damage, get a gear piece that gives Assassin's Strike. A buffer isn't gonna get a heavy damage power soon!

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
zuto4011a on Apr 28, 2015 wrote:
a damage spell would be nice if it fit with the class, but it doesn't, a power that reduces all enemy shields would fit more with the class
I see what your saying but I still think Privateers are due for one. Privateers may be best at buffing and healing and whatnot but even if it doesn't fit in with the class, they need something that can do a fair amount of damage. Just spewing out ideas here but if the power took the form of a big cannon or something like that than I think it would suit the class very well.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Duke of Westminste... on Apr 28, 2015 wrote:
My main is a Swashbuckler, so I am accustomed to doing heavy damage, but believe me, my Privateer does plenty of damage as well. I have gear items that grant Assassin's Strike and Vicious Charge (or something similar) and I also use the Dragon Axe from the tower. After I've used my buffs and start swinging that axe...you'd best be getting out of the way :D

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Hmmm, I've played through Cool Ranch with a privateer and he mentioned it'd be nice to have stronger attacks. Honestly, I could see either way. Doing PvE alone, it'd be nice to have with you, Considering how rare it is to get a team sometimes, there's gonna be a fair amount of soloing. The problem is, KI now has items that allow for a sneak attack from level 5. The double damage is quite useful early game. Eventually you will gain access to assassin's strike which is very beneficial. So honestly, I support both sides of this argument.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I requested a further attack power because even though I buff and heal I didn't feel I was making much of a contribution to the fight. Since all the classes have the ability in group play to buff their stats on their own and most of them can also heal. I have assassin strike gear yet if I attacked it was frowned upon by the rest. I actually do enjoy being a healer but I feel with all the things the other classes now have plus pets and doubloons I really don't help much.

I really liked being able to support you to victory. It's funny right. I am actually requesting for the ability to help you not kill you. I have all the high powered gear everybody wants and I suited up and went out and killed like crazy. But I didn't cast any privateer abilities and it didn't feel like me. It was empty and wrong. I went back to my privateering gear. I don't want to diminish the class so I am withdrawing my request.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
That's an easy one. A buffer that adds %20 to all damage done by companions for the next round, whether it be physical damage, magical damage, or stealing health damage.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on Apr 28, 2015 wrote:
My main is a Swashbuckler, so I am accustomed to doing heavy damage, but believe me, my Privateer does plenty of damage as well. I have gear items that grant Assassin's Strike and Vicious Charge (or something similar) and I also use the Dragon Axe from the tower. After I've used my buffs and start swinging that axe...you'd best be getting out of the way :D
Yes, but the topic is, should privateers get their own power for damage. All that gear is powers from other classes. Yes, I do have gear that has assassin's strike but my focus is on will, not so much on weapon power. A power that uses will would be very handy.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
It should be noted that while I do think Privateers should get a damage power, I'm not 100% on this side of the argument. I made this thread to see what everyone else thought. So far, the popular opinion seems to be no and that privateers should continue to be getting only buff related powers.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have run nine pirates up to level 65, and two of them are privateers. As they stand, privateers are already either the most effective or second-most effective character classes in the game. Giving them a powerful direct-damage spell would either over-power them or require that some of their existing abilities be nerfed (and the net effect of that trade-off would be to make them less distinct from the other classes, not a good option). For that reason, I think adding a heavy direct-damage spell to their existing abilities would be a mistake.

When the level cap is raised for all classes, KI could make a good direct-damage spell one of their new higher-level powers (67+), which is a better option than giving them something new at level 65 or lower. I love privateers, but I too occasionally have the urge to have mine wallop the enemy directly.

The truth is, though, that they DO have heavy damage powers already... those powers just use the privateer's companions and allies as the delivery system!

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Short answer - yes. Why? Because I really believe the privateers need a way to defend themselves beyond Repel Boarders or card gear.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Indigo Ring on Apr 30, 2015 wrote:
I have run nine pirates up to level 65, and two of them are privateers. As they stand, privateers are already either the most effective or second-most effective character classes in the game. Giving them a powerful direct-damage spell would either over-power them or require that some of their existing abilities be nerfed (and the net effect of that trade-off would be to make them less distinct from the other classes, not a good option). For that reason, I think adding a heavy direct-damage spell to their existing abilities would be a mistake.

When the level cap is raised for all classes, KI could make a good direct-damage spell one of their new higher-level powers (67+), which is a better option than giving them something new at level 65 or lower. I love privateers, but I too occasionally have the urge to have mine wallop the enemy directly.

The truth is, though, that they DO have heavy damage powers already... those powers just use the privateer's companions and allies as the delivery system!

-Indigo

A point I love to exploit with great satisfaction.....I love the party! My request for a further attack power which I retracted was originally made because of a tower run which I ran with trolls (I didn't feed them honestly!) My character is specifically designed to be able to defend and buff any class it even factors into my companion selection on who I pick for added buffs based on the classes that join. That is how much I focused on the party. My job was to make sure on its success no matter what. Yet, there are some trolls who believe a player's ability to hit the enemy hard is the only stat that matters. I was made out as a very weak character especially because they could buff and heal without me. It made me feel less essential to the party and I admit to feeling embarrassed by their comments. I guess it's because there was some truth to what they were saying.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
DuranteRamses87: "...a tower run which I ran with trolls..."

Oh, them. My condolences.

-Indigo

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Indigo Ring on Apr 30, 2015 wrote:

-Indigo
That's what I originally meant. That Privateers should get a damage power in the next update for lvl 67's and above. When I think about it though. It wouldn't be bad to get one at say, lvl 60 or something. After reading all your posts, combined with my own experience, I still remain unconvinced that giving Privateers a damage power would make them overpowered.