Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Training companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 16, 2012
ok i was questing with a buddy and i told him that i only train a companion when i can get 2 lvls from one training tome. he says that puts me at a disadvantage because my crew is still underdeveloped because they are not at my pirate's lvl. i on the other hand have no problems getting thru the game this way. it works for me and saves my gold.

now that i think about it i'm curious to see who else does this. or am i just an oddball.

Victoria Kirk

Captain
May 16, 2011
selfyself on Nov 9, 2013 wrote:
ok i was questing with a buddy and i told him that i only train a companion when i can get 2 lvls from one training tome. he says that puts me at a disadvantage because my crew is still underdeveloped because they are not at my pirate's lvl. i on the other hand have no problems getting thru the game this way. it works for me and saves my gold.

now that i think about it i'm curious to see who else does this. or am i just an oddball.

Victoria Kirk
Hmmmmm, I don't think you are an oddball; I've done this many times before. When I feel the over powering urge to start training my companions again, I begin training the lowest level companions and begin working my way up. This allows me to get the most out of the low levels, and bring them to a point where I don't despair if I happen to be in a fight with only my weaklings- er, Old Scratch that, I mean weaker companions than say, El Toro, 'cause El Toro is boss. But anyway back on topic.

Since I feel that each of my companions deserves a chance, and I don't use sleep tokens, none of my companions are able to be left for dead at the bottom of my companions list. Personally, I don't really think you are an oddball.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I do almost the same thing. My first mate I keep at my level. The first row I promote when I get one level for a tome. The rest I promote when I get two levels per tome and I do just fine. It is doable to keep them caught up with you in the beginning but once you have more than two rows and the price starts getting higher around level 20, it just gets too expensive to keep them level with you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
P.S. Welcome to the message board family. You will find us to be a helpful, creative and very fun bunch. I can't wait to get to know you better.

Ensign
Aug 19, 2011
Honestly, I think that you should just worry about how you think and how you do things on the game. So what if you do that, it just makes you different. Plus, you are doing good in the game and you are saving money so don't worry about it.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
I do the same for my pirates. And I don't pick up any side companions until max level either. I have never needed help winning a fight in the game. I do buy the latest best Galleon as soon as I can use it or when I get near the gold cap. And because I PvP, I use up all my training tomes and spend a lot of farmed gold on books after I get to the level cap.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I got my all my companions to 64 and stopped because for now its the last level when they can get more talents

First Mate
May 01, 2012
I do almost the same except it is the first thirteen or so Pirates that I require to be able to go up 2 levels before I use an training point.on them (that's 5 levels below my Pirate's level) including my first mate. After that, I require them to go up 3 levels before I use a training point (that's 9 levels below my Pirate's level). Since I now have 2 pages of Companions, I am thinking about requiring some of them to go up 4 levels before using a training point. What I think matters most is that they be able to stand up to the damage that we encounter on our adventures. I also try to have at least 2 (preferably 3) Rouses or better to be able to heal them if necessary.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
selfyself on Nov 9, 2013 wrote:

Victoria Kirk
Hey there Victoria,

I think it is a pretty good strategy and one that I somewhat use myself. Generally, if I am winning battles pretty easily, then I don't bother training any companions and just stock pile the points. Once the battles start to become nail-biters with the outcome uncertain, then I begin to train. I concentrate on my first mate and the first 2 or 3 rows of companions. I also try to train the companions that have the nice promotion quests. Usually, since I have waited a while, (I have even been as much as 10 levels above top 2-3) when I do train they are moving up by 2 sometimes 3. The downfall of course is you don't get access to them gaining new epics and talents as soon.

I don't know if anybody else has encountered the same thing as I have, but I began to notice that when all of my companions on the first page are all near each others' and my pirate's level, it seems that the companions that appear in battle are much more random and I don't seem to get as many in the top 2 rows showing up for battle, exc. 1st mate. When I train top 2 or 3 rows much higher levels than the rest, I much more regularly see them appear in battle (although it does stink when I get one of the ones that are much lower). In my experiences it seems that the more companions I have near my pirate's level, the percentage increases that I will get a more random draw- from a larger selection of companions.

Also, in the rare case that I happen to get a much lower level companion show up, as long as my pirate and my first mate (+ 1 more, if 4 companion battle) are close to the level of the enemy combatants, I never have a problem winning the battle.

But that is just what I like to do, everyone is different and employ different strategies. Just like kingerny.... said, you should just do what feels right and works for you. There is no right way just have fun with it.