Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Limits To How Many Times ...

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 07, 2013
... that one enemy can hit a single target in a single turn.

Yeah, seriously, there needs to be a limit. I just helplessly watched as one of these Goblin-like Witchdoctor things pulverized my Mustang Sally in one turn. She went from full health to, like 10% health -- in one turn. I was like, "Enough already!!! Enough!!! Seriously!?!"

Regardless of talents or any other aspects, there should be a limit to how many shots an enemy can make on a target. Otherwise, it's practically cheating.

I know it's not supposed to be easy, ... but there is a limit. And I point where it goes from being fun to feeling like you're banging your head on a wall.

Really. Who thought it that was a good idea?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I feel your pain. The first time I fought the sky snakes in Aquila they took out my Wagyu (who I thought was one of my power players) in the first turn! I had cast the Valor's armor onto my first mate that first round and had planed on casting the 50% protection on my second companion next turn, but when the next turn happened I only had one companion . That was sure my wake up call that in Aquila, I was playing with the big dogs now.

Petty Officer
Jan 01, 2013
I have noticed that there seems to be a limit on how many times, like when Kan Po has blocked a lot of attacks, and used riposte a lot, he doesn't use after a certain number of times.

Ensign
Dec 28, 2010
I agree! Ever since the update Bonnie Anne, El Toro and Monkey King seem to be favorite targets of the "monsters" by whatever name they are. I frequently lose them by round three mostly the result of multiple critical hits. I am a bit tired of repeated trips to the life fountain.
There is a huge difference between being HARD, even very hard, but fun and a difficult chore that has to be done

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2013
Serious Jacques on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
I agree! Ever since the update Bonnie Anne, El Toro and Monkey King seem to be favorite targets of the "monsters" by whatever name they are. I frequently lose them by round three mostly the result of multiple critical hits. I am a bit tired of repeated trips to the life fountain.
There is a huge difference between being HARD, even very hard, but fun and a difficult chore that has to be done
Level them up

Ensign
Oct 30, 2012
Lily Evans on Jul 28, 2013 wrote:
I have noticed that there seems to be a limit on how many times, like when Kan Po has blocked a lot of attacks, and used riposte a lot, he doesn't use after a certain number of times.
He doesn't use it after a number of times because he doesn't have the epic anymore. I believe you can get Riposte to Tier 3 after all promotions. Excuse me if I am incorrect. The enemies in Aquila are quite challenging, I suggest you try leveling your companions health/dodgy talents. Hope this helped!

Silver Luis Cog L62

Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
Just a couple things:

1: Riposte 2 and those other rank 2 (or 3) epics are supposed to work as much as three time per round, so Kan Po is probably just hitting his limit.

2: The other side of that coin is that it would limit your companions as well. Certainly watching my companions get turned into target dummies is no fun, but watching Egg Shen hit someone four times with his relentless and then blade storm into another target, or Eep cut some armada trooper down with three mojo echoes is well worth the black eyes my team has to suffer - for me anyway.

Ensign
Jan 04, 2013
I never had this happen to me, but when I got Hawkules I got him to tier three with relentless, I kept laughing and laughing as I watched him beat whoever I fought with his giant club.

Developer
Ever since the update Bonnie Anne, El Toro and Monkey King seem to be favorite targets of the "monsters" by whatever name they are.

The common thread to all three of those companions is that they have low armor, and relatively low health, but they deal a lot of damage.

The enemy is (quite correctly) calculating that their chances of winning the fight are improved if they can quickly remove these dangerous threats.

Protect your squishies!

(And that's actually not new to the last update-- but you might notice it more now that the enemies hit hard enough/often enough to kill you quickly.)

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
I actually would love for enemies to target only one unit at a time instead of randomly attacking... Better AI would make the game harder without having to increase the enemies stats.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ah Ratbeard, I just love how you think . I now have a new mantra that will be going through my head in every fight:
"Protect Your Squishies!"
It will be like one of those songs you can't stop from playing in your head but this will be Oh So Useful. x Bows towards in great respect x
Thank you.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
This may sound rather silly, but... I like it when the enemy does something unexpected, even in the case of having multiple relentless or (something that was very eye-opening in one fight!) repeated magic blasts (I forget the name of the attack, sorry) by witchdoctors. Realizing that a challenge is ahead of me really sparks the synapses in my brain! And it does make the battle feel more heroic, I think. I do like having enemies that I can respect, but still, I haven't encountered a fight yet that I could not manage solo (lose and need to do over again, yes, but no problem there). I think that KI has a nice balance of challenge, but not punishing challenge, for the happiness of the majority of their players.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Lol, Ratbeard! "Protect your squishies!"

Rachel - Level 41

Ensign
Dec 27, 2012
Ya bro I feel you, but I don't agree with you. Mainly because it will hurt my companions. I've watched my Bonnie Anne wipe out a boss in one turn with her burst fire ability and then due a lot more damage to a second target with her double tap skill. Its less about the enemy and more about how you promote you companions.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
I feel your pain, but we can do the same thing.

Some of us like to spread out our Companions' epic talents over a broad range of skills, but we still have the option to focus in one or two Epics like our enemies do so that our heavies can have multiple Vengence Strikes and Relentless attacks (Gortez was a nightmare with those!) or multiple First Strikes (Curse you, Luther Bancroft!).

The further you get into Pirate101, the more thought it takes. I didn't know that it would be this hard when I first started playing with my daughter.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
Ever since the update Bonnie Anne, El Toro and Monkey King seem to be favorite targets of the "monsters" by whatever name they are.

The common thread to all three of those companions is that they have low armor, and relatively low health, but they deal a lot of damage.

The enemy is (quite correctly) calculating that their chances of winning the fight are improved if they can quickly remove these dangerous threats.

Protect your squishies!

(And that's actually not new to the last update-- but you might notice it more now that the enemies hit hard enough/often enough to kill you quickly.)
PROTECT YOUR SQUISHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my new favorite of all of time quote

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Some companion needs "Protect your squishies!" as a battle cry. Maybe one with healing.