Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is the Default Weapon info wrong?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Heya,

I recently unequipped all of my gear and my weapon, and was left with a wooden sword that reads: "17-17 damage".

I thought "Wow, that's awesome. Having a set damage amount will be extremely helpful in figuring out exactly how stats work!"

Except I tried to use it and my damage seemed to be all over the place anyway. I would get multiple damage amounts against the same mob. This is red(physical) damage amounts, not one red and one white(critical) or anything of that sort. Is it just mislabeled?

Ensign
Jun 15, 2010
duelistNick on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
Heya,

I recently unequipped all of my gear and my weapon, and was left with a wooden sword that reads: "17-17 damage".

I thought "Wow, that's awesome. Having a set damage amount will be extremely helpful in figuring out exactly how stats work!"

Except I tried to use it and my damage seemed to be all over the place anyway. I would get multiple damage amounts against the same mob. This is red(physical) damage amounts, not one red and one white(critical) or anything of that sort. Is it just mislabeled?
Hey,

I was working on the same thing I find it hard to figure out as well. I cam with a thought thinking if the person might have some armor which might make it below 17. I wish kingsisle would put a label on the enemies saying resist or armor (like w101 when it says "Ice resist" whenever an ice attack attacks them).

I'm still working on figuring this out. Hope the helps though.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
107485 on Jan 13, 2013 wrote:
Hey,

I was working on the same thing I find it hard to figure out as well. I cam with a thought thinking if the person might have some armor which might make it below 17. I wish kingsisle would put a label on the enemies saying resist or armor (like w101 when it says "Ice resist" whenever an ice attack attacks them).

I'm still working on figuring this out. Hope the helps though.
Some enemies definitely do have resist/armor/etc that will lower your damage. My issue was that hitting the same enemy repeatedly still yielded different damages.

I'm curious to understand why this is happening. Is it that our attacks have natural variation, or the default weapon isn't showing correct stats, or am I missing something else?

Developer
Yes, armor.

The amount that armor reduces the damage is rolled randomly each time.

Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
Ratbeard on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
Yes, armor.

The amount that armor reduces the damage is rolled randomly each time.
I thought Armor was a fixed number in your stats that always reduces physical damage by that amount.

So, if the damage is 100 and you have 20 armor, then the damage would be 80. Is that not right?

Developer
Huh. I would have sworn we were showing the range on the character sheet.

Armor functions as you described it: it's the amount of damage subtracted from each attack.

But the amount of armor applied is random. If your character sheet shows Armor 10, the reduction is 5-10; if it is 100, the reduction is 50-100.

Between 1/2 X and X each time.

Now having said that, I should mention that we're reviewing Armor (as part of our overall review of Buccaneers) so we might yet tweak that...

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Heya,

Thanks for the explanation.. I would have never guessed that Armor rolled randomly. Really makes me rethink how much value I place on that stat now lol.

On a similar note.. Is Armor Penetration is a set percentage? It says, for instance, 30%. So that's not actually 15-30% is it?

Developer
duelistNick on Jan 18, 2013 wrote:
Heya,

Thanks for the explanation.. I would have never guessed that Armor rolled randomly. Really makes me rethink how much value I place on that stat now lol.

On a similar note.. Is Armor Penetration is a set percentage? It says, for instance, 30%. So that's not actually 15-30% is it?
Armor penetration reduces the opponent's armor by the listed amount.

A Buccaneer or Privateer in full heavy armor will (on average) reduce physical damage by 25% or more on every hit. On a good roll, say 35%. On a good roll with lots of armor boosting rings, necklaces and totems... you could top 50%.

Armor can't help you if you don't wear it.

Of course you might decide you'd rather have Resist, and that's all fine and dandy, until you meet a Musketeer with a repeating crossbow...

Heh.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Ratbeard on Jan 22, 2013 wrote:
Armor penetration reduces the opponent's armor by the listed amount.

A Buccaneer or Privateer in full heavy armor will (on average) reduce physical damage by 25% or more on every hit. On a good roll, say 35%. On a good roll with lots of armor boosting rings, necklaces and totems... you could top 50%.

Armor can't help you if you don't wear it.

Of course you might decide you'd rather have Resist, and that's all fine and dandy, until you meet a Musketeer with a repeating crossbow...

Heh.
I've met with the wrong end of a Horse Crossbowman companion, know that issue all too well. lol

Just wanted to say thank you for the responses here. It's so cool to get nuts and bolts info from a developer!