Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Too high critical chance

AuthorMessage
Captain
May 02, 2009
I've noticed that many mobs throughout the spiral critical ... alot. I could use discipline on a swasbulcker while he/she uses grand shadowdance and the enemey would still critical more than the swashbuckler. Once I used Mutineer's Grasp and Hoodoo Touch and the enemeu still got a critical. Together, they should've completely destroyed the enemey's critical chance, but he still did.

Petty Officer
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think the effect of the Mutineer's Grasp and Hoodoo touch stack. I don't even bother trying to stop criticals. I use those as attacks if I have nothing else because the special on them seems worthless.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I would not really complain about criticals. If the expansion trend follows the trend set in Wizard101, you will be fighting mobs with virtual auto-criticals soon enough.

Developer
This seems to come up a lot, so I would like to clear up a misconception:

At the moment, everybody has exactly the same critical chance. There are no mobs that crit more often than players, and no players that crit more often than any mobs or any other player classes.

There are no mobs, no elites, and no bosses that crit more often than normal.

At the moment, the only way that the crit chance can deviate from the baseline is through the use of the player "crit buffing" powers.

(And I can't think of any monsters that have those powers.)

So at the moment, the deck is stacked entirely in the players' favor.

Captain
May 02, 2009
Well, if that's true then I should probably change my stragegy.

Developer
coolster50 on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
Well, if that's true then I should probably change my stragegy.
Just in case I misunderstand you, and because I misspoke a bit, I should clarify:

You can, of course, de-buff the crit chance as well-- with the Touch/Grasp spells.

You can even debuff the auto-crit powers: The crit power says, "You rolled a crit!" and the debuff says, "No, you didn't!"

And you can buff the crit powers, too: The crit power says, "You got a rank 1 critical!" and the crit buff says, "Wait! Let's make that a rank 2 critical!"

---

But the larger point that I wanted to get across to you guys remains: I don't use "crit chance" to vary the difficulty of enemies (at least not yet!)

Ensign
Dec 24, 2012
I guess I could complain on this one, but I won't. due to as a L 18 WD, I see in valencia the robots knock my hp down almost double what I can do to them. I'm not sure if its due to what they use against spirt, which I would assume to be agilty as they are riflemen doing the most dmg. But to add I haven't been beaten yet, close but no cigar. I just wish that as a WD I couldsee more gear drops that actually benefit my class. Seems to be a mix of str, agilty, acc, or dodge, I never see spirit on items. I'm new so pardon me for being ignorant on all facets of the game.

Thanks

Captain
May 02, 2009
One, more question Ratbeard. So, are ye saying that if I use Hoodoo Touch/ Mutineer's Grasp on a unit in pvp, and that unit uses Critical strike, the critical wouldn't happen? and if so would the power still disappear? And if I use discipine and use critical strike, it would be stronger than ususal?

Developer
Criticals come in "ranks."

The crit buffing powers will "up-rank" your crits (including turning some normal hits into crits) and the crit de-buffs will "down-rank" crits (including turning some lower rank crits into non-crits).

I just tested this in game and although the damage is working correctly, it looks like I might need to tweak the powers a bit to give you better attack animation feedback.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Trust me guys, if the upcoming expansions are any like the expansions in Wizard101, then you be hurting if you thought the mobs critical more now.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Ratbeard on Jan 11, 2013 wrote:
Criticals come in "ranks."

The crit buffing powers will "up-rank" your crits (including turning some normal hits into crits) and the crit de-buffs will "down-rank" crits (including turning some lower rank crits into non-crits).

I just tested this in game and although the damage is working correctly, it looks like I might need to tweak the powers a bit to give you better attack animation feedback.
Wow, thanks for this info. I had been trying to figure out why my crits would sometimes obliterate opponents, and sometimes not be very impressive at all.