Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
I looked up "Bonnie Anne" an found a REAL historical female pirate named "Anne Bonnie".

Ensign
Sep 03, 2009
Subodai's name is probably a reference to Subotai, a charater from the movie Konan The Barbarian, they even include quote from the movie in his last promotion.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
The Onyx Rose on Aug 30, 2013 wrote:
Subodai's name is probably a reference to Subotai, a charater from the movie Konan The Barbarian, they even include quote from the movie in his last promotion.
Actually, Subodai is more than likely a play on the name Subutai.
He was a general for Genghis khan.

Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
Anyone else notice the Tubthumping by Chumbawamba reference during the boss fight? "He gets knocked down, but he gets back up again!" "We ain't never gonna keep him down!"

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
Liam Bosworth on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Anyone else notice the Tubthumping by Chumbawamba reference during the boss fight? "He gets knocked down, but he gets back up again!" "We ain't never gonna keep him down!"
LOL.

I started laughing aloud, when I heard that.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
In Fort Elena, there is a Lieutenant Benedict.

I think he might be a play on Benedict Arnold.
Back during the American Revolutionary War,
Benedict Arnold was in charge of the fort at West Point.
He had planned to turn it over to the British.

Kind of like Lieutenant Benedict giving us the keys to Fort Elena.
Essentially, turning the place over to us.

Ensign
Jun 29, 2009
Ensign
May 01, 2010
Oingo Boingo, the name of the crown shop sumo companion is the name of a band.

Chumbawumba is a name of another band

Tubthumper is a chumbawumba album

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Warning this may be a big spoiler for some people, I don't really know.

Mycroft Bones, In Marleybone, Mycroft mentions his brother as being one of two minds capable from deciphering the message found on the mechanical birds. First, Mycroft Bones' brother would be Sherlock Bones. This makes Mycroft Bones a reference to Sherlock Holmes's older even more logically minded brother Mycroft Bones.

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories, if Sherlock Holmes came across a problem too complex for him to solve, the only person he would turn to for help was his elder brother Mycroft.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
CdeWinter on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
Warning this may be a big spoiler for some people, I don't really know.

Mycroft Bones, In Marleybone, Mycroft mentions his brother as being one of two minds capable from deciphering the message found on the mechanical birds. First, Mycroft Bones' brother would be Sherlock Bones. This makes Mycroft Bones a reference to Sherlock Holmes's older even more logically minded brother Mycroft Bones.

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories, if Sherlock Holmes came across a problem too complex for him to solve, the only person he would turn to for help was his elder brother Mycroft.
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right. Again and again I have taken a problem to him, and have received an explanation which has afterwards proved to be the correct one. And yet he was absolutely incapable of working out the practical points...
—Sherlock Holmes, speaking of his brother.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
There are lots of Treasure Island references. One-Eyed Jack's tavern, The Black Spot, is one of the more obvious ones.

Doctor Tam in Tumbleweed and Captain Reynolds in Cooper's Ranch are both references to Joss Whedon's space western, Firefly.

Mycroft Bones is actually a double reference to both Sherlock Holmes and James Bond, given that he is always referred to as M and works for Her Majesty's Secret Service.

All of Prospector Zeke's fetch it missions refer to musical groups (Dixie Chicks, A Flock of Seagulls, Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch, the Gipsy Kings.).

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Peabotz on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
...he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right. Again and again I have taken a problem to him, and have received an explanation which has afterwards proved to be the correct one. And yet he was absolutely incapable of working out the practical points...
—Sherlock Holmes, speaking of his brother.
Mind you, the Pirate101 Mycroft is a lot more energetic... and far more trim! (As I recall, Mycroft Holmes rather shaped like a bowling ball.)

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Peabotz on Oct 18, 2012 wrote:
Involved in the quest "Treasure Hunt".
Had to fight "Old Scratch".

One of the skeletal pirates he called upon was named "Bones McCoy".

I got a big kick out of that one.
Me too

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone's already posted this (it's pretty obscure), but the clothing shop in Undertown has vendors named after Stella McCartney (Sir Paul's daughter and designer of team GB's Olympic uniforms) and Alex DeLarge. When I saw these two, it just about made my day.

Petty Officer
Sep 23, 2012
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
truesaviorofthespi... on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
why is this still popular?
It's like watching a good movie again and again. Each time you watch it you pick up on subtle things that you missed before. As we bring more pirates through we pick up on nods and winks and nudges that we missed before. To be honest, some of Mew's snicker eggs are really tricky to spot. He loves to see how long it takes us to catch his little 'In' jokes.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Did you catch any Star Wars references in Beachhead? I found the best of all!

Bonnie Anne: That thing looks like a giant spoon!
Kobe Yojimbo: That's no spoon-it's a sky station!

By the way, I found a reference concerning Star Trek as well. Battle Old Scratch again and focus on the skeleton with the blue bandanna and the cutlass.

Lieutenant
Jul 15, 2013
Why has no one said sarah steele relating to the actress or was it just too obvious?

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Black Bart, the boss in the Abandoned Church...

I looked up a walkthrough for his battle (I was having a hard time) and was sidetracked to a wikipedia page on a real-life pirate also taking the name of "Black Bart"

Ensign
May 23, 2012
I just remembered that Doctor Noh in Mooshu is a reference to the antagonist of The first ever James Bond movie 007 Doctor No

Ensign
May 23, 2012
TalonDevereaux68 on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
There are lots of Treasure Island references. One-Eyed Jack's tavern, The Black Spot, is one of the more obvious ones.

Doctor Tam in Tumbleweed and Captain Reynolds in Cooper's Ranch are both references to Joss Whedon's space western, Firefly.

Mycroft Bones is actually a double reference to both Sherlock Holmes and James Bond, given that he is always referred to as M and works for Her Majesty's Secret Service.

All of Prospector Zeke's fetch it missions refer to musical groups (Dixie Chicks, A Flock of Seagulls, Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch, the Gipsy Kings.).
James Bond is not refered to as M but his boss is so Mycroft Bones is a James Bond easter egg .

Captain
May 13, 2011
TalonDevereaux68 on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:

doesnt the black spot come from a threat in letters to pirates?

not sure if anyone mentioned admiral nelson, but im just bringing it here in case.

some of the elite clockworks names come from chess (rook(e) and bishop. female clockwork which is only shown once in the entire storyline is speculated to be named queen)

just bringing this up. in W101, cats are outlaws while dogs are cops/citizens. this shows the rivalry between cats and dogs and also the fact that dogs mostly chase cats

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I was startled to come across this quote from Blade Runner: "I seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain." I remembered those words very well, as my character, horrified, realized at last she had been tricked into doing an evil deed and destroyed mystic guardians whose knowledge would be forever lost. I thought the words were rather mysterious and poetic -- but did not realize they were both serious and a clever nod to iconic words of others. Hmm. Maybe I should be watching more movies instead of always reading books. On the other hand, where did I find this quote? In a book (a chapter preface in Neal Oliver's The Vikings: A New History)

And along the same vein, among the Radical Foxes was one Robert Burns. Robbie Burns! Oh, say it isn't so! (great Scottish poet; I particularly love his To A Mouse)

And is Abner Wickersham, aka 'the Lamplighter' a sly nod to the mid 19th C. American novel 'The Lamplighter'? I would be very impressed if it was, since I must confess, though it was a best-seller of its time I hadn't known about the novel until recently!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
I was startled to come across this quote from Blade Runner: "I seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain." I remembered those words very well, as my character, horrified, realized at last she had been tricked into doing an evil deed and destroyed mystic guardians whose knowledge would be forever lost. I thought the words were rather mysterious and poetic -- but did not realize they were both serious and a clever nod to iconic words of others. Hmm. Maybe I should be watching more movies instead of always reading books. On the other hand, where did I find this quote? In a book (a chapter preface in Neal Oliver's The Vikings: A New History)

And along the same vein, among the Radical Foxes was one Robert Burns. Robbie Burns! Oh, say it isn't so! (great Scottish poet; I particularly love his To A Mouse)

And is Abner Wickersham, aka 'the Lamplighter' a sly nod to the mid 19th C. American novel 'The Lamplighter'? I would be very impressed if it was, since I must confess, though it was a best-seller of its time I hadn't known about the novel until recently!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
okay, so I've never read The Lamplighter, but I did love the Sir Robbie Burns nod. (I don't know what it is about Americans not using titles.)

However, Robbie Burns was actually a huge sympathiser of the Radicals, and based a few poems based on radical propaganda, including 'A man's a man for a that' (I think that was the title).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CdeWinter on Jan 15, 2014 wrote:
okay, so I've never read The Lamplighter, but I did love the Sir Robbie Burns nod. (I don't know what it is about Americans not using titles.)

However, Robbie Burns was actually a huge sympathiser of the Radicals, and based a few poems based on radical propaganda, including 'A man's a man for a that' (I think that was the title).
Yea good point on the non title usage. My guess is that since so few have that honor (not a complaint mind you) that they forget about them but they should not. Those Titles are not awarded lightly and are a huge honor. I do not know of all of them and may be guilty of such but if I ever do I would love to be corrected on it so honors can be given where due.