Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CdeWinter on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
I do understand that, I have also used Lorem Ipsum before in classes, usually the the text is just a long description of the history of Lorem Ipsum, I was just curious that this text was in latin, the Lorum Ipsum I've used before has always been translated.

But as I said, do understand that Lorem Ipsum is just a meaningless place holder.
* Chalks up another mark for leaning another fascinating thing.* Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom once more, AHEM Captain De Winter Congrats on your new rank. I just happened to notice. Well done Captain.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
I do understand that, I have also used Lorem Ipsum before in classes, usually the the text is just a long description of the history of Lorem Ipsum, I was just curious that this text was in latin, the Lorum Ipsum I've used before has always been translated.

But as I said, do understand that Lorem Ipsum is just a meaningless place holder.
Oops, sorry I didn't know that! ( I do not want to offend Milady De Winter! )

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
I was startled to come across this quote from Blade Runner: "I seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain." I remembered those words very well, as my character, horrified, realized at last she had been tricked into doing an evil deed and destroyed mystic guardians whose knowledge would be forever lost. I thought the words were rather mysterious and poetic -- but did not realize they were both serious and a clever nod to iconic words of others. Hmm. Maybe I should be watching more movies instead of always reading books. On the other hand, where did I find this quote? In a book (a chapter preface in Neal Oliver's The Vikings: A New History)

And along the same vein, among the Radical Foxes was one Robert Burns. Robbie Burns! Oh, say it isn't so! (great Scottish poet; I particularly love his To A Mouse)

And is Abner Wickersham, aka 'the Lamplighter' a sly nod to the mid 19th C. American novel 'The Lamplighter'? I would be very impressed if it was, since I must confess, though it was a best-seller of its time I hadn't known about the novel until recently!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Hi Anne, I thought you might also like to know that Bob (or Robert) Wickersham was a rather well known director of animated shorts for Disney (like Wynken, Blynken and Nod) and other studios as well. He also was a co-director of some 1944 color Li'l Abner cartoons based on Al Caps pioneering Li'l Abner Comic Strip. So Abner Wickersham, perhaps could be a double nod then.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
* Chalks up another mark for leaning another fascinating thing.* Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom once more, AHEM Captain De Winter Congrats on your new rank. I just happened to notice. Well done Captain.
(Chrissy, I am quoting you in order to get those extra 1000 characters...just in case.)

Here are a few Easter Eggs I have discovered:

There is a monk(ey) in St. Bonobo's Abbey in Monquista, named Abbot Remigio. I am not 100% certain, but this could be a reference to the character Remigio Da Varagine from the novel The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, which takes place in a Benedictine Abbey. Though, I don't believe Remigio is the Abbot of the Abbey, but it is still quite a coincidence. It's also a movie starring Sean Connery, Christian Slater and Ron Perlman.

In Robin Oig's Lair in Marleybone there's a fox named Alan Breck. This references a character from Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Kidnapped, which became numerous films including the 1960 Disney one and a 2 part Disney movie/show in 1963. It was even a 1917 Silent Film. The name of the quest in which you come across Alan Breck is....yep, Kidnapped.

In the Hole in the Wall Tavern in Scrimshaw, is a dog pirate named Bill Bobstay. This is a reference to a character in Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera titled H.M.S. Pinafore (also known as The Lass That Loved a Sailor). Gilbert and Sullivan, of course are the quest givers for many of the Port Regal quests, which also reference other characters from their comic opera, H.M.S Pinafore. Bob Beckett in Port Regal, Mrs. Phipps (character in opera is Mrs. Cripps) in Port Regal, Mr. Rackshaw (Ralph Rackstraw) found in Port Regal sewers, Captain Corcoran at The Hope and Anchor in Port Regal and Nick Deadeye (Dick Deadeye) whom you battle on the wreck of the Pequod in Scrimshaw- all from Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore. And the ship name Pequod is of course a reference to Captain Ahab's whaleship in Herman Melville's Moby Dick.

The companion Ensign Emmett (Otter) is likely a reference to Emmett Otter, a character in a children's storybook by Russell Hoban, called Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Hoban's story was turned into the movie, Jim Henson's Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas in 1977. Yes I do actually remember watching it in elementary school & in fact my 8 year old son also watched it at school when he was in kindergarten a few years ago.

The Musketeer Samoorai companion Masamune Goto, is probably a reference to Goro Nyudo Masamune who is seen as Japan's greatest sword smith and the Goto Shirobei family of master metalworkers. Masamune is referenced in games such as being a weapon in the Final Fantasy series and in literature as well (along with Goto)- 1897 The Windsor Magazine, Volume 5 references them both.

'It was a long sword or katana (the swords, as you know, were worn in pairs, and the smaller was called the wakizashi), and it was mounted by a great metal worker of the Goto family. The signature of the great Masamune himself was engraved in the usual place- on the iron tang within the hilt.'

And Cool Ranch...well the entire Cool Ranch content itself is one big Easter Egg, actually the entire spiral seems to be for that matter.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Oh, almost forgot- I know I saw all of the Bands referenced by Zeke's quests up to MooShu, so here's the rest of them so far:

MooShu- (Shonen Knives) = Shonen Knife- an all female Japanese punk/pop 80's band.
Marleybone- The Rolling Stones- no further explanation needed.
Aquila- Eagles- same as above

I wonder if Mew and Crew are going to keep up the band referenced Zeke quests for future worlds...I sure hope so!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
One of the new areas - Maria Celestia = the Mary Celeste, a famous "ghost" ship, it was found abandoned with no explanation as to what happened to the crew. It's still a mystery.

Ensign
Jun 23, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
(Chrissy, I am quoting you in order to get those extra 1000 characters...just in case.)

Here are a few Easter Eggs I have discovered:

There is a monk(ey) in St. Bonobo's Abbey in Monquista, named Abbot Remigio. I am not 100% certain, but this could be a reference to the character Remigio Da Varagine from the novel The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, which takes place in a Benedictine Abbey. Though, I don't believe Remigio is the Abbot of the Abbey, but it is still quite a coincidence. It's also a movie starring Sean Connery, Christian Slater and Ron Perlman.

In Robin Oig's Lair in Marleybone there's a fox named Alan Breck. This references a character from Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Kidnapped, which became numerous films including the 1960 Disney one and a 2 part Disney movie/show in 1963. It was even a 1917 Silent Film. The name of the quest in which you come across Alan Breck is....yep, Kidnapped.

In the Hole in the Wall Tavern in Scrimshaw, is a dog pirate named Bill Bobstay. This is a reference to a character in Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera titled H.M.S. Pinafore (also known as The Lass That Loved a Sailor). Gilbert and Sullivan, of course are the quest givers for many of the Port Regal quests, which also reference other characters from their comic opera, H.M.S Pinafore. Bob Beckett in Port Regal, Mrs. Phipps (character in opera is Mrs. Cripps) in Port Regal, Mr. Rackshaw (Ralph Rackstraw) found in Port Regal sewers, Captain Corcoran at The Hope and Anchor in Port Regal and Nick Deadeye (Dick Deadeye) whom you battle on the wreck of the Pequod in Scrimshaw- all from Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore. And the ship name Pequod is of course a reference to Captain Ahab's whaleship in Herman Melville's Moby Dick.

The companion Ensign Emmett (Otter) is likely a reference to Emmett Otter, a character in a children's storybook by Russell Hoban, called Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Hoban's story was turned into the movie, Jim Henson's Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas in 1977. Yes I do actually remember watching it in elementary school & in fact my 8 year old son also watched it at school when he was in kindergarten a few years ago.

The Musketeer Samoorai companion Masamune Goto, is probably a reference to Goro Nyudo Masamune who is seen as Japan's greatest sword smith and the Goto Shirobei family of master metalworkers. Masamune is referenced in games such as being a weapon in the Final Fantasy series and in literature as well (along with Goto)- 1897 The Windsor Magazine, Volume 5 references them both.

'It was a long sword or katana (the swords, as you know, were worn in pairs, and the smaller was called the wakizashi), and it was mounted by a great metal worker of the Goto family. The signature of the great Masamune himself was engraved in the usual place- on the iron tang within the hilt.'

And Cool Ranch...well the entire Cool Ranch content itself is one big Easter Egg, actually the entire spiral seems to be for that matter.
WOW I'm very impressed and inspired by this...btw, I'm new to posting but, we all gotta walk before we can run.

When you mentioned the quest 'Kidnapped' with Alan Breck, I remember in part of that quest, when we went to Flotsam to speak with one eyed Jack. Jack tells us of a hideout. In his dialog he says "a nod is as good as a wink..to a blind bat."

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, I've only read through a few pages.

"A nod is a good as a wink..to a blind horse" is the name of an album by the band known as 'Faces'. For those not familiar with the band, you might have heard of their lead singer, Rod Stewart. Or their most popular hit 'Stay with me'..which is track 5 on the album ( 1 of my all time favorite songs)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Butterblitz on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
WOW I'm very impressed and inspired by this...btw, I'm new to posting but, we all gotta walk before we can run.

When you mentioned the quest 'Kidnapped' with Alan Breck, I remember in part of that quest, when we went to Flotsam to speak with one eyed Jack. Jack tells us of a hideout. In his dialog he says "a nod is as good as a wink..to a blind bat."

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, I've only read through a few pages.

"A nod is a good as a wink..to a blind horse" is the name of an album by the band known as 'Faces'. For those not familiar with the band, you might have heard of their lead singer, Rod Stewart. Or their most popular hit 'Stay with me'..which is track 5 on the album ( 1 of my all time favorite songs)
Nice Catch Butterblitz I always wondered what that meant. Welcome to the message board family. Walk right in and stay a spell and enjoy our madcap fun.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Butterblitz on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:

Welcome to the message boards Butterblitz- not even sure why, but I just love the username. I can't take credit for all of that info, some of it I knew or was familiar with and others I had a hunch and had to research to get more additional info like dates and specific names of characters.

As far as your Easter Egg, like Chrissy said, nice find indeed. And you are right, Stay With Me is a great song, and I enjoy many of Stewart's others as well (like Maggie May). It is amazing how many musical references there are throughout the game. Many of them are somewhat subtle and some are not so much- like the one you found. Here are a few more quests that I have come across that reference music. (Some from my own knowledge and some from lots of digging and researching)

'Do Fear the Reaper' - nod to Blue Oyster Cult song Don't Fear the Reaper
'Guilty Heart is Quaking' - lyrics from the song 'The Hours Creep On Apace', from the Gilbert and Sullivan HMS Pinafore...and 'The Hours Creep on Apace' also happens to be the prequest as well.
'Live and Let Livsey' - perhaps a nod to the band Wings w/ Sir McCartney song Live and Let Die
'Rumble in the Jungle' - possibly a nod to Jethro Tull's song Bungle in the Jungle...or the legendary boxing matching
'The Commodores'- nod to the band The Commodores and the quest itself references 4 of the original members of the group- Ensign Richie/Lionel Richie, Ensign Williams/Milan Williams, Ensign King/William King and Ensign McLary/Thomas McClary. Great band and music, might I add.
'A Flock of Seagulls'- nod to the band of the same name (oh yeah, I forgot this one w/ Zeke's quests)
'A Spoonful of Stingers' - likely nod to the song A Spoonful of Sugar from Mary Poppins
'Be True To Your Sky'- possibly a nod to The Beach Boys song Be True to Your School, maybe not though
'Hungry Like the Wolf'- nod to Duran Duran song of the same name
'Keeping the Peace'- this is a reach but Blind Mew stated he listened to Billy Joel, so perhaps this is a tip of the hat to Joel's song Keeping the Faith
'Gimme Shelter' and 'Wild Horses' - with the reference of The Rolling Stones in Zeke's Marleybone quest, this could be a nod to the Stones' songs of the same name (not sure though)

These are just a few that came to attention just by looking through the lists of quests on the wiki site and I am quite sure I missed a bunch. Not to mention all of the song lyrics (like the ones you new) that are probably all throughout the quest dialogues that are Easter Eggs of the musical variety. It is always a very pleasant surprise when you come across a new one. KI did an amazing job giving us all of these little secrets to discover.

Again, welcome to the boards and hope you enjoy your time here!

Ensign
May 24, 2013
The coconut mount on April Fools is actually a reference to Monty Python The Quest for the Holy Grail. The film used the gag in the movie because they couldn't afford real horses. I thought it was hilarious when I saw it. I thought it was a joke, but it was real. Good move Kingsisle :D
Speaking about mounts (I know wrong topic): How can you get the panther mount in Pirate101?

Thanks
~Phantom~

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Rainstorm286 on Apr 15, 2014 wrote:
The coconut mount on April Fools is actually a reference to Monty Python The Quest for the Holy Grail. The film used the gag in the movie because they couldn't afford real horses. I thought it was hilarious when I saw it. I thought it was a joke, but it was real. Good move Kingsisle :D
Speaking about mounts (I know wrong topic): How can you get the panther mount in Pirate101?

Thanks
~Phantom~
The tribal pack in the crowns shop gives you a chance of getting the mount ( fairly easy to get one ).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Rainstorm286 on Apr 15, 2014 wrote:

Thanks
~Phantom~
The panther is a drop from the Tribal crew pack. Its only a chance but nice when it happens.

Ensign
Jul 16, 2008
Skull Island is a reference to King Kong, It's a Trap references Return of the Jedi and Port Regal references the pirate haven of Port Royal from real life, but the way it was portrayed, a British-like society, makes it become a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Ensign
Dec 15, 2013
Peabotz on Jun 30, 2013 wrote:
There is a ship with a cutthroat shark, between Skull Island and the path to Puerto Mico.
On that ship, the mini boss' name is Mack The Shark.
My guess is, this is based off the character from the song Mack The Knife.

Here is part of the lyrics for proof.

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe.

The song I am familiar with is sung by Bobby Darin.

But the actual song dates back to 1928.
The actual song is from Threepenny Opera. Look it up.

Also, Donkey Hotay is actually spelled Don Quixote. Look him up too.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
genericpirate786 on Apr 15, 2014 wrote:
Skull Island is a reference to King Kong, It's a Trap references Return of the Jedi and Port Regal references the pirate haven of Port Royal from real life, but the way it was portrayed, a British-like society, makes it become a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean.
Skull Island is also a reference to the Island in Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.
While the actual treasure island was never named in the book, only referred to as the island, there was a small islet just off of the "Treasure Island" that is called Skull Island in the novel. It's one of the landmarks the treasure map mentions.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
thepiratefan on Apr 17, 2014 wrote:
The actual song is from Threepenny Opera. Look it up.

Also, Donkey Hotay is actually spelled Don Quixote. Look him up too.
And, The Threepenny Opera, with its murderous hero (?) Mac the Knife, is in turn based on the early 18th C. 'The Beggar's Opera', with its hero (?) being the two-timing highwayman and leader of a gang of ruffians, Macheath. This musical play was a satire on the high style Italian operas so very popular in the day (such as the popular operas of Handel, who was much beloved by the English), and became enormously popular in its own right, I think in part to the bitingly satirical lyrics set to really great tunes from the popular music of the day (which included some of those Handel songs too!). I particularly love the Beggar's Opera version of Over the Hills and Far Away, with its tenderly romantic words set to a beautiful tune, which became part of the 'Top 40' songs for the entire 18th C!

Ensign
Feb 05, 2009
Santa Rana in Cool Ranch is from Mexican president Santa Anna. (Rana means frog in Spanish)
Also, his castle is called Castillo Sapo which means Toad Castle.
Puerto Mico (Mico means monkey)

Prospector Zeke's quests with Marquis Mark and the Funky Bunch and the Dixie Chicks, etc.

"Curious Jorge" Esquivel in the Dark Jungle in the Gold Mine.

I don't remember exactly where I saw this in Monquista but I remember St. Chiquita. Chiquita is a major banana company.

I know Kingsisle has put LOADS of other stuff in Pirate101 but I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

But great job Kingsisle for making me laugh throughout the game!

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
asianboss1374 on Jul 18, 2013 wrote:
Jorge Curiouso in Monquista-curious George
His ship is also called the Sombrero Amarillo, which translates roughly as yellow hat.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Melody Fisher on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
His ship is also called the Sombrero Amarillo, which translates roughly as yellow hat.
Oh now THAT I did not pick up on. Nice catch. The man with the yellow hat was George's best friend.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Kyle Fenner on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
Santa Rana in Cool Ranch is from Mexican president Santa Anna. (Rana means frog in Spanish)
Also, his castle is called Castillo Sapo which means Toad Castle.
Puerto Mico (Mico means monkey)

Prospector Zeke's quests with Marquis Mark and the Funky Bunch and the Dixie Chicks, etc.

"Curious Jorge" Esquivel in the Dark Jungle in the Gold Mine.

I don't remember exactly where I saw this in Monquista but I remember St. Chiquita. Chiquita is a major banana company.

I know Kingsisle has put LOADS of other stuff in Pirate101 but I can't remember them all off the top of my head.

But great job Kingsisle for making me laugh throughout the game!
Welcome to the message boards Kyle. Yup a reason to laugh is a wonderful reason to be here. We Message Board Marauders love to laugh and to help out other pirates. I am sure you are gonna love being part of this silly yet virtuous family.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
CdeWinter on Apr 18, 2014 wrote:
Skull Island is also a reference to the Island in Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.
While the actual treasure island was never named in the book, only referred to as the island, there was a small islet just off of the "Treasure Island" that is called Skull Island in the novel. It's one of the landmarks the treasure map mentions.
I'm still considering Skull Island as a reference to Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. But, after quickly rereading it, the islet I thought was called Skull Island is actually Skeleton Island. Although, I consider Skull and Skeleton to be close enough to count.

Second, I know somone had disagreed with me in the past about this reference, but I still say it stands (warning might be a spoiler).
In Marleybone, while completing Grace Conrad's promotion quest you fight a group of malfunctioning war golems. These lovely war golems greet you with a hearty mechanical "eradicate, eradicate" I say, even though someone has disagreed before, that this is a reference to Doctor Who's Darleks with their cry of "exterminate, exterminate".

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
TalonDevereaux68 on Mar 15, 2013 wrote:
1) HP Lovecraft's dark god, Cthulu shows up in a lot of puppet shows.

2) Fin Dorsal is a play on Vin Diesel's movie character, Riddick, right down to the specialized blades.

4) Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is pulled from an episode from The Jetsons. That cartoon is probably older than most of the players on this game.

5) The three lieutenants that run the Rat Pack out of Flotsam are based on the actual Rat Pack. More specifically Rat Pack members Sammy Davis, Jr. (Sammy Davies), Dean Martin (Martin Dean), and Frank "Ol' Blue Eyes" Sinatra (Frankie Blue-Eyes.)

6) The Rat Pack gang in Scrimshaw are known as the Rats of Nim. This is taken from an old animated movie The Secret of NIMH, which is based on an old children's book, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. NIMH stands for the National Institute of Mental Health.

7) My favorite easter egg is Chumba Wumba. He is named after a British alternative band called Chumbawumba.

Also, you can't win the fight against Chumba by attacking him directly because he always gets back up. This is taken from Chumbawumba's song "Tubthumping."

Opening lyrics of the song are. "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You ain't ever gonna keep me down."

Bonnie and Ol' Scratch even paraphrase those lyrics in the cut dialogue during the fight.
Chumba Wumba also drops a staff called the Tubthumper (Easter egg 7).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Apr 25, 2014 wrote:
I'm still considering Skull Island as a reference to Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. But, after quickly rereading it, the islet I thought was called Skull Island is actually Skeleton Island. Although, I consider Skull and Skeleton to be close enough to count.

Second, I know somone had disagreed with me in the past about this reference, but I still say it stands (warning might be a spoiler).
In Marleybone, while completing Grace Conrad's promotion quest you fight a group of malfunctioning war golems. These lovely war golems greet you with a hearty mechanical "eradicate, eradicate" I say, even though someone has disagreed before, that this is a reference to Doctor Who's Darleks with their cry of "exterminate, exterminate".
Yes, I noticed this they even sound like Daleks!

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
I think someone missed another Pokemon reference.

If you look closely in the Chamber of the Paw, one of the fake Monkey's Paws heavily resembles one of Krabby/Kingler's pincers.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
In the updated area, while fighting aboard the Marie Celest, you will come across a certain ghost named the Spectral Stephen Hawkins. For anybody who may not know (I'm not sure how many that actualy is) Stephen Hawkins is a very famous physicist who had done a lot of work on string theory, study of wormholes (stormgates?) and has published such books as A Short History of the Universe. (Admittedly, I may have gotten the title of the slightly wrong, I can't seem to find my copy)