Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
There is a quest called "One Good Favor".
You have to collect fish and crates of fruit for the Scurvy Dogs.

The name of the ships where you get the crates of fruit from,
are called De Monte.

It's more a play on a name actually.

But, Del Monte is a name brand.
They are known for canning fruits.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
1) HP Lovecraft's dark god, Cthulu shows up in a lot of puppet shows.

2) Fin Dorsal is a play on Vin Diesel's movie character, Riddick, right down to the specialized blades.

4) Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is pulled from an episode from The Jetsons. That cartoon is probably older than most of the players on this game.

5) The three lieutenants that run the Rat Pack out of Flotsam are based on the actual Rat Pack. More specifically Rat Pack members Sammy Davis, Jr. (Sammy Davies), Dean Martin (Martin Dean), and Frank "Ol' Blue Eyes" Sinatra (Frankie Blue-Eyes.)

6) The Rat Pack gang in Scrimshaw are known as the Rats of Nim. This is taken from an old animated movie The Secret of NIMH, which is based on an old children's book, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. NIMH stands for the National Institute of Mental Health.

7) My favorite easter egg is Chumba Wumba. He is named after a British alternative band called Chumbawumba.

Also, you can't win the fight against Chumba by attacking him directly because he always gets back up. This is taken from Chumbawumba's song "Tubthumping."

Opening lyrics of the song are. "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You ain't ever gonna keep me down."

Bonnie and Ol' Scratch even paraphrase those lyrics in the cut dialogue during the fight.

Ensign
Oct 17, 2012
Cool ranch is full of Easter Eggs. Jesse and Frank Cranes. Like James. The Mag. 7 are all real people in history. And Butch Chickadee and The Sundance Kid. Oh, and in Scrimshaw there's the Rats of Nim and Mick Dagger.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
The instance known as Miranda.
In the Haunted Skyway.

The quest to find Captain Blood's cards.

The actual poker hand Blood had, is known as
"Deadman's Hand", aces over eights, with a single nine card.

It is the same hand Wild Bill Hickock was holding,
when he was killed.

Ensign
Jun 25, 2011
Well here is a few for all Lord of thr Rings fans In Flotsam you get a quest when you are like lvl 14 where your are to retrive a ring and the quest is The One Ring taken from the quote "The One Ring to Rule Them All"

here is the second refreance to Lord Of The Rings i found more of a location realy in tradewinds skyway if you look at the ruined light house from a distance even with the busted up light it looks like the Tower of Barad-dûr witch is the all seeing eye of Sauron

Ensign
Jun 25, 2011
Well on my first post for this was a typo ment to say flotsam skyway not tradewind skyway for the ruined light house location but found another easter egg goin back to the 80's music XD
when you are in Valencia you get a quest from prospector zeke to hunt down a flock of seagulls well when you turn in the quest he saya that they ran so far away that they couldnt get away a quote from the song AND I RAN from the band A Flock of Seagulls

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
bigextra on Mar 17, 2013 wrote:
Well on my first post for this was a typo ment to say flotsam skyway not tradewind skyway for the ruined light house location but found another easter egg goin back to the 80's music XD
when you are in Valencia you get a quest from prospector zeke to hunt down a flock of seagulls well when you turn in the quest he saya that they ran so far away that they couldnt get away a quote from the song AND I RAN from the band A Flock of Seagulls
Yeah, I think that all of Zeke's fetch-it quests are references to musical groups.

Skull Island - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch
Monquista - The Gipsy Kings
Valencia - A Flock of Seagulls
Cool Ranch - The Dixie Chicks

I haven't been to the other realms yet, so I haven't a clue what those easter eggs are.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
Ack. I just remembered.

Blind Mew is taken from Blind Pew from the Monty Python-esque pirate movie, Yellowbeard.

I think that the Presido commandante, El Nebuloso, is also based on a character from that movie.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
TalonDevereaux68 on Mar 19, 2013 wrote:
Ack. I just remembered.

Blind Mew is taken from Blind Pew from the Monty Python-esque pirate movie, Yellowbeard.

I think that the Presido commandante, El Nebuloso, is also based on a character from that movie.
Blind Pew is also one of the first pirates introduced in Treasure Island.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
In Port Regal, there is a NPC, by the name of Father McKenzie.

Father McKenzie is a character from the song, Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
What about the whole Cavern of the Crescent Moon, and the choosing of the correct Monkey's Paw, (almost) straight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
CdeWinter on Apr 4, 2013 wrote:
What about the whole Cavern of the Crescent Moon, and the choosing of the correct Monkey's Paw, (almost) straight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Actually, the Monkey's Paw, is based on a story written over a hundred years ago.
By W. W. Jacobs.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Peabotz on Apr 5, 2013 wrote:
Actually, the Monkey's Paw, is based on a story written over a hundred years ago.
By W. W. Jacobs.
I am aware that the Monkey's Paw comes from W. W. Jacobs, I'm actually a huge fan of W. W. Jacobs as well as other similar authors including M.R. James. I was trying to say that how KI portrayed the choosing of the correct Monkey's Paw was taken from the choosing of the correct Holy Grail in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
The character of Death in Miranda is not based on Death himself.
It is actually based on the character of the Supreme Being, from the movie "Time Bandits".

There is the Monty Python connection too.

John Cleese and Michael Palin were in the movie.
Written by Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin.
Produced and directed by Terry Gilliam.

Okay.
I decided to edit this a bit.

The character of Death in Miranda as I see it.

It is based on three characters, four, if you want to stretch it a bit.

1 - When Death appears;
He says "What a tiring manifestation. But it is expected of one, I suppose."
Also towards the end after the battle with Captain Blood.
Death says; "Tidy up before you go. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's a mess."
That is from Time Bandits.

2 - When Death exclaims that he has a gambling problem.
That, I would say is based on Death from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

3 - Death says near the end; "We shall meet again." (something along that line).
That could be from the movie Love and Death.
*Actually in the movie, the line or lines went something like this;
Death - We will meet again.
Boris - Don't bother.
Death - Oh, it's no bother.*

4 - This might be a bit of a stretch.
Death with his reading glasses.
That reminds me of Grimm.
From the cartoon "The Grimm Adventures of Billy an Mandy."

This how i see the character of Death, in Miranda.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Hidden Valley Ranch and Cool Ranch, both salad dressings.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
CdeWinter on Apr 9, 2013 wrote:
Hidden Valley Ranch and Cool Ranch, both salad dressings.
Cool Ranch is also a Doritos flavor.

Ensign
Oct 23, 2011
I think "monquistador" is a pun on "conquistador"

Valencia is a Spanish city, and the Armada was the spanish army.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
You can choose Thomas Wright name as a Pirate so he most likely, if he was a pirate which he could've been would be a Privateer.
I bet there are many other Wrights you can choose. I just asked my dad cause the last name was Wright and he said one of them is Thomas Wright
Thomas Wright was among many of people. The most famous is Thomas Wright the Astronomer.
You could also use Morgan Freeman but uh, a lot of pirates will use that if they want a popular persons name. For the girls in Pirate101 idk. Sorry if this is off topic. In Wizard101, the boys with not creative thinking or it they love Star Wars will most likely use Luke Skywalker. For the Girls again it the same thing but with this time Taylor Swift and you can add this to make it funny, Taylor SwiftStalker. lol

Jacob Freeman lvl 50
Thomas Wright lvl 5

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
I think the tin man and todo characters in wizard were kinda uncalled for

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I liked the Jorge Esquivel side quest in dark jungle/ gold mine with all the references to Jorge's curiosity getting him into trouble.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
In the Khotan Skyway, on a small island called Yama Kai.
You are given a quest by Soseki, called "No Soup For You".

This should sound familiar to Seinfeld fans.
The "soup nazi" would like this.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I'm loving the Captain Reynolds quests and their references to the tv show "Firefly" and the movie "Serenity". There was a nice double one, pinging both Inara, and Anna from "The King And I". We had to find a doctor and "cargo" for Capt. Reynolds. The Washburns and Cobb round out the rest of the crew. I think it would have been funny if the Cobb portion of the quest was called a A Man Called Cobb, or perhaps that should be A Chicken Called Cobb. I'm not done yet in Mooshu. I'm hoping to see the engineer too.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
The first NPC Annabelee is based off of the poem Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe.

Captain
May 13, 2011
there are easter eggs in the puppet shows too, like in gortez. at the part where gortez army steals the treasure from the island, theres a baby monkey that takes a huge gold statue with him. at captain gunn, fin dorsal is one of the pirates enjoying the yum. talking about yum, thats a reference to rum, a brew popular to pirates. fin dorsal is also named after part of a shark: dorsal fin. bonnie anne is a reference to bonne annie (did i get it right?). shes mentioned in famous pirates. ratbeard and catbeard are an obvious reference to blackbeard.

the monkeys paw also closely resembles the holy grail in indiana jones. in P101, the monkeys paw brings death if you choose the wrong one. in indiana jones, you need to pass 3 trials to reach the grail and there, you have to drink from the right one. drink from the wrong one and you age rapidly, similar to dying by choosing the wrong paw, however, choosing the right grail brings eternal life (or has great healing abilities. i dont remember). the monkeys paw is even a real life story including the 3 wishes. the monkeys paw seems to give the worst outcome of any wishes

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
Quest in Cool Ranch.
It is in Big Sky, on Boot Hill.

The quest is called Tales From The Crypt.

Tales From The Crypt used to be an HBO series.
It dealt with stories along the lines of horror and the macabre.