Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Community Opinion: which axe?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Hello, Fellow MB Marauders!

So, I recently finished working on my Buccaneer, (the only class i Haven't completed yet is Witchdoctor now!) And I have had some trouble deciding which of the 2 weapons my Buck has is superior: The Dragon Axe of Doom or the Axe of Minotaur Lords.

The A.o.M.L. deals around 23 less damage, but provides follow through, which is invaluable in starting bladestorm chains. The D.A.o.D. deals more damage, provides Turn the Tide, and provides the flames of corruption damage over time effect. Now, I would pick the D.A.o.D. except that I already have full turn the tide from a pet. Thus, I am asking the community: which weapon is superior?

Ensign
May 16, 2014
I think for yourself you have already made your pick. Personally, I don't use an axe I use a stabby/shooty weapon so I can utilize my musketeer abilities too.

Noble Alexandria

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
I think that in this situation the Minotaur's Axe would be better, as it provides follow through. This can make up for the extra damage the Dragon Axe of Doom does.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Go with the highest damage and equip a different pet that grants another power. I play a bucky, too.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The axe of the Minotaur Lords sounds (for a bucky) better.

Now I want one...

-Indigo

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
listen, there about the same. the dragon axe fire for me has gone up to a little over for hundred damage for me but the axe of minotaur lords can trigger blade storm. to be honest neither is really better its how you are going to use them. for a.o.m.l I would use it more for when you need that guarantee extra hit, its better for group battles. dragon axe of doom is better for solo just because your pet grants turn the tide doesn't mean you have to change it, if the pet works don't put it aside just because of one little thing in fact keep it on because if you want to switch you will always have it. but in my opinion your going to want to get the staff of power, the extra relentless rules.

-jack nightingale lvl 65 buccaneer

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Blixet on Apr 29, 2015 wrote:

So, I recently finished working on my Buccaneer, (the only class i Haven't completed yet is Witchdoctor now!) And I have had some trouble deciding which of the 2 weapons my Buck has is superior: The Dragon Axe of Doom or the Axe of Minotaur Lords.

The A.o.M.L. deals around 23 less damage, but provides follow through, which is invaluable in starting bladestorm chains. The D.A.o.D. deals more damage, provides Turn the Tide, and provides the flames of corruption damage over time effect. Now, I would pick the D.A.o.D. except that I already have full turn the tide from a pet. Thus, I am asking the community: which weapon is superior?
I don't have a max buccaneer so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd say since you already have a Turn the Tide pet, you might as well go for the AoML, especially if you like to use frenzy, since that's one more attack you get before taking damage.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Blixet on Apr 29, 2015 wrote:

Hi there Blixet!

My only max is a that has both axes. Personally I prefer the Minotaur's Ax because the Follow Through & the potential Blade Storms, triggered from Follow Through going critical, all get a damage boost from Strength. Being that Strength is a 's primary attribute, chances are you're going to be, & should be, buffing your Strength early on. So, w/ each FT Strike & resulting BS(s), your damage #s will see a better return than the D.O.T. that the Dragon Ax causes. And I'm not positive, but I believe that the D.O.T #'s from the Flames of Corruption are affected by your spell power(?) and/or will- not your Strength. In my experiences, I have not seen a Strength Buff raise the D.O.T. output #s for the D.A.o.D. But again, I may be wrong about this, as after a few tries with it I switched back to the A.o.t.M.L. Every subsequent & successful strike that lands from the A.o.t.M.L. will receive higher damage #s when you use your 's Strength buffing powers prior.

Also, you have greater control of those strikes. Position yourself so that your initial attack & FT, possible BS(s) will only target 1 specific enemy or position yourself so that your initial attack, FT & possible BS's will target & finish off 1 enemy, possibly triggering another BS & thus targeting yet another enemy. You can control whether you do max damage to multiple enemies this way & get the most damage potential possible on multiple targets. You could possibly even finish off 3 or 4 mid-lower-in-health enemies from the FT & all the possible critical strikes & BS's.

In addition, the FT & possible BS from it can help add extra strikes to your Reckless Frenzy. So, for me I much prefer the A.o.t.M.L. I do possess many pets w/ Grants Turn the Tide & other useful powers/talents, so my critters have that covered-- which lends to me choosing the A.o.t.M.L. over the D.A.o.D.

Either way good luck & give them both a try...regardless of which you may prefer, they each have their own 'charm' & fun factor.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
thanks for the advice, everyone! Always lovely to see the community in action.