Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer Or Swashbuckler?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
Hello again, message boards. I was thinking for the past two days. Which is better: Privateer or Swashbuckler? I made a class-restricted companion chart that explains Swashbucklers receive seventeen class-restricted companions while Privateers receive twenty-one class-restricted companions. A thought that really stumps me is which is better: More companions with lower chances of criticals or less companions with higher chances of criticals. Thanks for your time!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
THE SAVIOR on Aug 17, 2014 wrote:
Hello again, message boards. I was thinking for the past two days. Which is better: Privateer or Swashbuckler? I made a class-restricted companion chart that explains Swashbucklers receive seventeen class-restricted companions while Privateers receive twenty-one class-restricted companions. A thought that really stumps me is which is better: More companions with lower chances of criticals or less companions with higher chances of criticals. Thanks for your time!
It really depends on your play style. A swashy likes to dive in there and create some fun and very graceful havoc and a privateer is more the leader that does all they can to make their team more powerful and protected so they can go in there and wreak havoc all around you. A privateer is no slouch by the way. If confronted an well equipped privateer can kick tush with the best of them.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Less. Less is more, when it comes to Pirate101. Unless you're talking about damage. Then more is more.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Looking at my message board name, I think you can tell swashbuckler is my favorite but privateer is a great class too.

Swashbuckler:
  • High damage class
  • Sneaky
  • Dodge
  • Low health
  • Good overall amount of companions

Privateer:

• Low Damage
  • Great balanced stats
  • Tons of buffs
  • Best health
  • Most amount of companions

I honestly think less companions is better because you don't have to worry about getting tons of training points for all of your companions.

The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
To me, the key point is this:

At most, you get 3 companions in any fight. So, whether you have 12 or 22 companions makes little difference.

But privateers are very good at preparing their team for combat, more than the Swashbuckler. This becomes especially true if the privateer minors in the arcane arts of the Witchdoctor. The damage you can do at a distance after prepping your team is pretty substantial then.

On the other hand, the Swashbucker will mete out some very heavy damage face to face, and with a minor as either a Privateer or a Witchdoctor, can prepare their team and save up some good healing.

So, I would really say that it depends on your fighting style.

BTW, I have one of each type of pirate.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The fewer-is-better approach to crewin' was maybe true originally (unless you were willing to spend a lot of gold buying training manuals to keep everyone up to speed), but with the new version of companions I don't find the larger crews at all a drawback. The companions I disliked before I just keep out pet wranglin' or looting or whatever.

When choosing which to run, you might want to consider play style rather than just how many class-specific companions they receive. Swashbucklers are all flashy and like to leap and cavort about in the thick of battle poking and slashing away at the enemy. Privateers aren't bad in melee, but where they excel is in hanging back and buffing their crew (and allied crews). If you are a more direct-action sort of pirate, the Swashbuckler is probably going to suit you better. If you are more of a sneaky plotter and planner, then the Privateer might be more your style.

Personally, I quite like both of them!

-Indigo