Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateers vs Witch doctors

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 21, 2011
Hello, I just started the game yesterday and have a lvl 7 witch doctor and lvl 7 privateer. Which one should I use as my main character? What are the strengths/weaknesses of both?

Ensign
Nov 28, 2009
Hi and welcome to the forums!
A witchdoctor is great as a ranged class. They use mostly spell power rather than weapon damage, and furthermore use mostly spells/abilities rather than direct hit spells. Witchdoctors, in many cases, should aim to keep enemies at a distance, as to deal damage without taking damage themselves. Witchdoctors are, however, weaker against those who have magic resistance, as well as to some Buccaneers, who focus on building resistance and health.

Privateers really mostly on companions to do their damage. They have the most companions in the game, but this means they need to spend more companion points. Privateers aren't very good damage dealers, and are best played as a supporter, buffing and healing their companions and other players. A Privateer can cope with many situations, but watch out for those Musketeers and Witchdoctors, whose ranged attacks could take you by surprise. Witchdoctors even have an ability that could potentially remove all of your buffs! (At the cost of theirs as well.)

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
XxMichaelxX666 on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
Hello, I just started the game yesterday and have a lvl 7 witch doctor and lvl 7 privateer. Which one should I use as my main character? What are the strengths/weaknesses of both?
Well...I hate Privateers because they have such an advantage in pvp, but I must admit that I enjoy playing my Privateer more than any of my other pirates except for my Swashbuckler. Of all my pirates the Witchdoctor seems to struggle the most. All classes have their pros and cons, but Privateers have the easiest go of it. So if your looking for a fun and easy experience...go with your Privateer. If you enjoy more of a challenge...chose your Witchdoctor.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
XxMichaelxX666 on Jul 22, 2014 wrote:
The strengths of the witchdoctor are their ranged and multi target attacks. Mojo Reaver, while not a ranged attack, is one of the most powerful in the game. Also, they can attack and heal in the same round. If you use blades instead of a staff you can equip items that give you Assassin's Strike etc. Even though the blades don't bonus off of will, I have yet to use a regular staff attack with my Witchdoctor, relying instead on 'cards' of which I have plenty so really your choice of weapons matters the least to Witchdoctors. Among their weaknesses would be poor dodge/blocking and low armor.

A Privateers strength is their ability to buff and heal their entire team, making it almost impossible at times for the enemy to even hit them while they themselves are able to land blow after blow with lots of them being criticals. Privateers are as slippery as eels and just when you think you have them...they wiggle out of it. You will see what I mean if you ever pvp against one. Their weakness would be the fact that any decent attacks they have come from their gear, but there is no shortage of great gear for Privateers and an added bonus would be that it is also the coolest looking gear in the game. I stitched a lot of it for my Swashbuckler. I believe, even after the update, that Privateers are superior to all the other classes. Superior to the point if it being unfair. There are ways to counter a Privateer, but you need some rare gear and the right companions to do so. And luck. Lots of it.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
I don't currently have a Privateer, but I do have a max level Witchdoctor so I am qualified to tell you about her.
She is great for that early hit against someone, breaking up their formation/wasting their heals etc etc etc. In 1v1s, however, such as the battle against Tyson or the thing with the 3v1 spiders also in Cool Ranch, witchdoctors are HORRIBLE. You only have one Mojo Reaver and one Mojo Blade, and once those run out, the British are coming. And fast. If you find yourself in a 1v1 situation, you can go for a Shadow step (teleport anywhere) Widow's Touch (slow target) combo. This is only useful once, so use it wisely! Overall, I tihnk the Witchdoctor would get about a 8/10. Tons of attacks to bomb your enemy into submission, and a nice run mechanic is the reason for the 8, and not a 10 because low health, low wand/staff damage, and no armor are flaws that really count at top level. Very few have magical resist anyway, so hit them hard!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
In PvP, be a privateer with a buccaneer (or swashy) friend and a witchdoctor or musketeer friend. I'm a max level privateer, one of my best friends in the game is a buccaneer, and another is a witchdoctor. I'm pretty sure we'd do well in PvP, but I don't like going against other players... they're just so hard to... you know... analyze.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Jul 25, 2014 wrote:
I don't currently have a Privateer, but I do have a max level Witchdoctor so I am qualified to tell you about her.
She is great for that early hit against someone, breaking up their formation/wasting their heals etc etc etc. In 1v1s, however, such as the battle against Tyson or the thing with the 3v1 spiders also in Cool Ranch, witchdoctors are HORRIBLE. You only have one Mojo Reaver and one Mojo Blade, and once those run out, the British are coming. And fast. If you find yourself in a 1v1 situation, you can go for a Shadow step (teleport anywhere) Widow's Touch (slow target) combo. This is only useful once, so use it wisely! Overall, I tihnk the Witchdoctor would get about a 8/10. Tons of attacks to bomb your enemy into submission, and a nice run mechanic is the reason for the 8, and not a 10 because low health, low wand/staff damage, and no armor are flaws that really count at top level. Very few have magical resist anyway, so hit them hard!
I switched to blades for my Witchdoctor. A lot of the gear I've come across for Witchdoctors give powers like Assassin's Strike, Hurricane Round, etc. I figured I might as well try them out. It has made it easier for me because, as you point out, Witchdoctors are limited in their attacks. One of these limitations is the fact that they can't move and attack at the same time unless they have a power like Assassin's Strike. The staff attacks I never used, even though they are multi target attacks (which I like) because as you point out they are somewhat weak and I have so many 'cards' to use that I didn't have to use a 'regular' attack. In fact I never use 'regular' attacks with any of my pirates. You might try out some blades. A gun/blade combo weapon would also be interesting because then you could train Musketeer powers and get your Assassin's Strikes and Back Stabs from gear. It would open up a whole new world for you. :)

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Spiral Cowboy on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
I switched to blades for my Witchdoctor. A lot of the gear I've come across for Witchdoctors give powers like Assassin's Strike, Hurricane Round, etc. I figured I might as well try them out. It has made it easier for me because, as you point out, Witchdoctors are limited in their attacks. One of these limitations is the fact that they can't move and attack at the same time unless they have a power like Assassin's Strike. The staff attacks I never used, even though they are multi target attacks (which I like) because as you point out they are somewhat weak and I have so many 'cards' to use that I didn't have to use a 'regular' attack. In fact I never use 'regular' attacks with any of my pirates. You might try out some blades. A gun/blade combo weapon would also be interesting because then you could train Musketeer powers and get your Assassin's Strikes and Back Stabs from gear. It would open up a whole new world for you. :)
I thought about what you said, and after a bit of farming I've switch to that Auto Dragoon thing that gives Megablast. It is working out quite well, but if you have time you may want to go to Moo Manchu and farm for a bit for his wand. The only problem now is that my Great Juju gives Agility buffs, not Will. Do you know how to fix this?

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
I thought about what you said, and after a bit of farming I've switch to that Auto Dragoon thing that gives Megablast. It is working out quite well, but if you have time you may want to go to Moo Manchu and farm for a bit for his wand. The only problem now is that my Great Juju gives Agility buffs, not Will. Do you know how to fix this?
I hadn't noticed the buff thing. I have an Autocannon that I might try out for my Witchdoctor. The only reason I would prefer the blades is because it allows me to attack when I move my witchdoctor instead of wasting a round moving and than having to wait to attack the next round. I got the Hoodoo bundle so I like to run into enemy territory and raise the standard. It gives you a little extra help when the ghosts of the fallen arise and battle on your behalf. One thing a lot of Witchdoctors seem to overlook is the shear amount of minion they can summon. Between yourself and Old Scratch, my first mate, you can summon many minion and even though their attacks aren't much they do provide targets other than you and your companions for the enemy to focus on. I know a lot of people may have groaned when I said Old Scratch is my first mate but with the standard he is actually really good. The best trio of companions I have found for my Witchdoctor so far are Bonnie Ann, Kan Po and Old Scratch.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed about the minion thing, I love to just see someone charging then cast a wall of minions right in their face. So satisfying..