Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Lower the price for wounded companions

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
I must admit, it is hard to adapt to this advanced companions feature. Honestly, in my opinion this feature didn't need to be added. The older healing system was just fine, when you simply heal a companion by using the life fountain. The main issues I have with this wounding system is first of all look at the prices Medical Mitch offers you... What is even more unfair is that if a second companion is wounded, the wounding time for that companion is much longer and much more expensive. I was in a fight in Marleybone, when I ran into one of the most unfair turns in my pirate life. 2 of the Radical dogs would not stop using a critical attack on my companions, and to top it of, they both used Relentless which got rid of 2 of my companions in one turn... I was absolutely STRESSED out about this. Can I be honest here, this wounding feature is the most stress inducing feature ever added in the game. I decided to go see this Miracle Mitch character whom I never visited. When I saw the price for healing both of my companions, I nearly threw my monitor outside the window.. One of them was around 40,000 gold, the other one was around 50,000 gold. I have to get rid of ALL of my gold for healing my companions? NEVER! So I have to pay around a total of 90,000 gold for healing 2 of my companions? Holy Moley KingsIsle! Are you trying to suck the life out of our pirate? And don't even bother me by saying to wait for the timer. One of my companions have to wait 4 hours, while the other needs to wait around 5 hours. I decided to wake one of them up. The wounded companion DIED the FIRST round because he barely had any health to keep him alive! Now I have to pay a higher price, and I need to wait 6 hours for that companion to heal! And that was only the first round! If only you can drastically reduce the price for healing a companion, this would make the game a lot less unfair. Can you please, please, please reduce the timer and the prices for a wounded companion? Its not the players fault for his companion dying, so why would this be fair? Please KingsIsle, these prices are WAY to expensive. The timers take a long time too, at least reduce the time to less then an hour or something. In my personal opinion, why can't healing a companion just cost 10,000 gold? A wounded companion can be a BIG deal, but paying those prices is absolutely ridiculous. 10,000 gold is fairly expensive, and would make things a whole lot easier. Its not to cheap, its not to expensive, its just right. 50,000 gold is literally sucking your entire wallet. It also makes it hard for you to save for something you want. The timers last a very long time, they can be slightly reduced. And I don't like the fact that if a second companion is wounded, then that companions timer is much longer. PLEASE fix that, I think all wounded companions should have the same (and much shorter ) healing timer so that you won't need to wait for the other wounded companion to be healed. Please fix these...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Jul 9, 2014 wrote:
I must admit, it is hard to adapt to this advanced companions feature. Honestly, in my opinion this feature didn't need to be added. The older healing system was just fine, when you simply heal a companion by using the life fountain. The main issues I have with this wounding system is first of all look at the prices Medical Mitch offers you... What is even more unfair is that if a second companion is wounded, the wounding time for that companion is much longer and much more expensive. I was in a fight in Marleybone, when I ran into one of the most unfair turns in my pirate life. 2 of the Radical dogs would not stop using a critical attack on my companions, and to top it of, they both used Relentless which got rid of 2 of my companions in one turn... I was absolutely STRESSED out about this. Can I be honest here, this wounding feature is the most stress inducing feature ever added in the game. I decided to go see this Miracle Mitch character whom I never visited. When I saw the price for healing both of my companions, I nearly threw my monitor outside the window.. One of them was around 40,000 gold, the other one was around 50,000 gold. I have to get rid of ALL of my gold for healing my companions? NEVER! So I have to pay around a total of 90,000 gold for healing 2 of my companions? Holy Moley KingsIsle! Are you trying to suck the life out of our pirate? And don't even bother me by saying to wait for the timer. One of my companions have to wait 4 hours, while the other needs to wait around 5 hours. I decided to wake one of them up. The wounded companion DIED the FIRST round because he barely had any health to keep him alive! Now I have to pay a higher price, and I need to wait 6 hours for that companion to heal! And that was only the first round! If only you can drastically reduce the price for healing a companion, this would make the game a lot less unfair. Can you please, please, please reduce the timer and the prices for a wounded companion? Its not the players fault for his companion dying, so why would this be fair? Please KingsIsle, these prices are WAY to expensive. The timers take a long time too, at least reduce the time to less then an hour or something. In my personal opinion, why can't healing a companion just cost 10,000 gold? A wounded companion can be a BIG deal, but paying those prices is absolutely ridiculous. 10,000 gold is fairly expensive, and would make things a whole lot easier. Its not to cheap, its not to expensive, its just right. 50,000 gold is literally sucking your entire wallet. It also makes it hard for you to save for something you want. The timers last a very long time, they can be slightly reduced. And I don't like the fact that if a second companion is wounded, then that companions timer is much longer. PLEASE fix that, I think all wounded companions should have the same (and much shorter ) healing timer so that you won't need to wait for the other wounded companion to be healed. Please fix these...
The reason the miracles are so expensive is that the game designers want you to be able to utilize all your very strong companions that you have gathered by the time you get that far into the game. You have many top of the line companions that would be a real asset to your crew. You just need to get used to using them. Once you try them for a bit, you may be really surprised at the diamonds in the rough you have been overlooking by overworking your favorites.
Give your hardworking crew some well deserved time off and let some one else shine for a bit.

Petty Officer
Aug 27, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
The reason the miracles are so expensive is that the game designers want you to be able to utilize all your very strong companions that you have gathered by the time you get that far into the game. You have many top of the line companions that would be a real asset to your crew. You just need to get used to using them. Once you try them for a bit, you may be really surprised at the diamonds in the rough you have been overlooking by overworking your favorites.
Give your hardworking crew some well deserved time off and let some one else shine for a bit.
But we were already doing that, with the 'random selection' and everything. The sleep tokens could only be used on three companions, out of the roughly 25 companions everyone gets (privateers get way more, obviously).
Perhaps instead of forcing us to use worse companions, why doesn't KI give us INCENTIVE to use them? For instance, make them better?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MarleybonePatriot on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
But we were already doing that, with the 'random selection' and everything. The sleep tokens could only be used on three companions, out of the roughly 25 companions everyone gets (privateers get way more, obviously).
Perhaps instead of forcing us to use worse companions, why doesn't KI give us INCENTIVE to use them? For instance, make them better?
Did you use your FREE resets, yet? I have and I have made them tons better, I'm even thinking about letting Nurse Quinn join the action!

Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
Yeah, I thought it was a bit steep too, but I got used to it. They are "advanced" companions, which means more strategy involved. Kingsisle wanted us to stop using our companions as meat shields, which we could just heal 5 seconds later with a mojo potion or life fountain. If you adjust your strategy a bit, you can easily make it through.
Clever Sam Jones

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
As a matter of fact, I don't have a team. Whenever I get a new companion, be it from quest or story, I always use them instead of having a single team. For example, my team now is Zeena, Hawkules, and Argos (I'm a privateer, and let me just tell you- he's worth it. He's basically like a second Hawkules).

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Certain companions are not very effective against certain enemies, especially at the higher levels -- using them against ettins or manticores, for example, where they might get pounded by relentless epics. Perhaps the reason your crew is getting wounded is that they are not suited for the battles you are now using them in?

Learning a new strategy for these enemies might serve you better in the long run, rather than being able to heal these companions more easily.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
I would like to point out that by your companions getting wounded, you are beginning to reach to your other companions who really aren't the sort that you would want in a fight which does next to nothing to make fighting any easier. Let me tell you what the average pirate does and what I do: People usually choose the 3 best companions for a fight, and they usually stick to them. When a pirate levels up, they get 3 training points. The average pirate uses those 3 training points for their 3 best companions to make sure they can keep with the enemies you are going through the storyline, which can make it hard for you to train your other companions. Of course occasionally you get 4 training points when leveling up, which is another opportunity to train another companion. Of course by doing certain side quests and buying points from those pelican dudes in every tavern cellar, thats when I do train my other companions, but that doesn't mean that I would like them in a fight. There more of a back up crew, but it doesn't mean that they can handle all the twists and turns in battle. Let me tell you a true story. On my other pirate, a few days after the new update was uploaded to the live server, my and my real life best friend decided to continue the main storyline. We were at the part of Beachead. We started the dungeons and my friends companions fell into a bear trap. Later on in the dungeon his best 3 companions died. He used his backup companions. Them having fall into the same bear trap, they were ganged up on, critical'ed on, and died in an unfair manner. He eventually got to his worst companions, those worst companions died, he got to his EVEN worse companions, and at the end of it, he had only 6 companions left, which is absolutely UBSURD! He had companions who were wounded for more than a DAY! He told me the price to heal them was BEYOND the gold limit too. My friend has REALLY good companions, even better than mine, and yet he was the unlucky victim. I try and save my money for some cool gear, new ships, and training points, but I can't because I need to use HALF of my money for healing my companions, because for some reason, my other companions are AWFUL at fighting.. I train my other companions, but there not the ones that I would want in a fight. I would like to stick to my main companions, because unlike my other companions, they know how to get a job done. You have to pay a fortune for the actions of an enemy. And you have to use up all your money because they ganged up on a certain companion, they did Relentless combo's, or they critical'ed on your companion. Why do you need to pay a lot of gold for the unfair actions of an enemy? It sounds wrong to me. I am totally fine with the wounding mechanic. BUT they need to reduce the prices, reduce the time, and allow all woundings to have the same time duration, because apparently, every time another companion is wounded, theirs is more expensive, and lasts MUCH longer. Its really stressful...

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
It's time to realize that a balanced crew selection actually brings about more success. Yes battles might take longer with companions that cannot swashbuckler their way through enemies in five seconds but in the end you will be stronger if you learn to utilize all your options and powers. The high prices for a companion's death helps us to learn to take care of them and to learn to heal them during the battles. Before mistakes could happen and you just healed it all up after the fight now you have to pay for it by losing the use of that companion for a few hours. This is a good thing. There are games that when a party member dies and if you don't revive them before a certain number of turns then that companion actually dies and is lost forever. Maybe that should be introduced as well. Remember a pirate is nothing without his crew.

Don't be discouraged though take this as an opportunity to get stronger and better.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I have no problem with the healing time for two reasons:

1) If you utilize Brawlin' and Keel Haulin' tasks, all of your companions can be top level. So, if you lose one, another can step right into place. Gather enough training tomes so you can have three companions the same level as you when you go to the next level, and have most of your other companions out constantly Brawlin' and Keel Hawlin' saving a few just in case one gets injured. This won't happen very often if you do all of your side quests with all of your companions at the same level as your pirate. Doing side quests will give you more time to accumulate the training tomes. You can actually hold at least 20, if you do it right. For example, send ten companions out Keel Haulin', then, once they are out, go and purchase ten training tomes. Even if you get no extra tomes from side quests, you get three when you go up a level giving you a total of 23 to work with.

2) On promotion tasks where the companion being promoted gets injured, just set it aside until the companion heals. Even at level 65, it won't be longer than 7 hours. Have a bit of patience.

Most important, learn to be flexible. If you HAVE to have these three companions, and everyone else is chopped liver, and you HAVE to play constantly, without taking any breaks at all, you are going to have a problem. Learn to work with other companions, or else set the game aside until the companion heals. It won't be that long.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
Did you use your FREE resets, yet? I have and I have made them tons better, I'm even thinking about letting Nurse Quinn join the action!
Oh, so very much this. As a hint, check the class of your companion.

Privateers and Buccaneers need strength, first. I forgo agility and will and concentrate on accuracy (so they don't miss), armor (so they take less damage), and dodge (so they get hit less). If I have any left over, I go for rough (so they do more damage) and tough (so they have more hit points).

Swashbucklers and Musketeers need agility, first. I forgo strength and will and concentrate on accuracy, rough, dodge, and armor.

Witch Doctors need will, first. I forgo strength and agility and concentrate on accuracy, spooky, and resistance.

I am also making a special Witch Hunter task force for when we have to face those dreaded magic users with area of effect spells.

Now, if you REALLY want the same companions and want to minimize the wait time, just invest in recuperate (the talent that lets them heal faster).

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:

1) If you utilize Brawlin' and Keel Haulin' tasks, all of your companions can be top level. So, if you lose one, another can step right into place. Gather enough training tomes so you can have three companions the same level as you when you go to the next level, and have most of your other companions out constantly Brawlin' and Keel Hawlin' saving a few just in case one gets injured. This won't happen very often if you do all of your side quests with all of your companions at the same level as your pirate. Doing side quests will give you more time to accumulate the training tomes. You can actually hold at least 20, if you do it right. For example, send ten companions out Keel Haulin', then, once they are out, go and purchase ten training tomes. Even if you get no extra tomes from side quests, you get three when you go up a level giving you a total of 23 to work with.

2) On promotion tasks where the companion being promoted gets injured, just set it aside until the companion heals. Even at level 65, it won't be longer than 7 hours. Have a bit of patience.

Most important, learn to be flexible. If you HAVE to have these three companions, and everyone else is chopped liver, and you HAVE to play constantly, without taking any breaks at all, you are going to have a problem. Learn to work with other companions, or else set the game aside until the companion heals. It won't be that long.
That is a problem. My other companions aren't really the best fighters... Some are exceptions. I only have about 4 companions who are good at what there doing and that is Mormo, Old Scratch, El Toro, and Lefty. The other people are... Uh, yes... Chopped Liver. No matter what I do, some aren't good enough, despite the load of training I gave them. In times like this, sometimes you need to rely on certain crew members, but it's hard if you have to pay over 40,000 coins for the actions of an enemy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:
I would like to point out that by your companions getting wounded, you are beginning to reach to your other companions who really aren't the sort that you would want in a fight which does next to nothing to make fighting any easier. Let me tell you what the average pirate does and what I do: People usually choose the 3 best companions for a fight, and they usually stick to them. When a pirate levels up, they get 3 training points. The average pirate uses those 3 training points for their 3 best companions to make sure they can keep with the enemies you are going through the storyline, which can make it hard for you to train your other companions. Of course occasionally you get 4 training points when leveling up, which is another opportunity to train another companion. Of course by doing certain side quests and buying points from those pelican dudes in every tavern cellar, thats when I do train my other companions, but that doesn't mean that I would like them in a fight. There more of a back up crew, but it doesn't mean that they can handle all the twists and turns in battle. Let me tell you a true story. On my other pirate, a few days after the new update was uploaded to the live server, my and my real life best friend decided to continue the main storyline. We were at the part of Beachead. We started the dungeons and my friends companions fell into a bear trap. Later on in the dungeon his best 3 companions died. He used his backup companions. Them having fall into the same bear trap, they were ganged up on, critical'ed on, and died in an unfair manner. He eventually got to his worst companions, those worst companions died, he got to his EVEN worse companions, and at the end of it, he had only 6 companions left, which is absolutely UBSURD! He had companions who were wounded for more than a DAY! He told me the price to heal them was BEYOND the gold limit too. My friend has REALLY good companions, even better than mine, and yet he was the unlucky victim. I try and save my money for some cool gear, new ships, and training points, but I can't because I need to use HALF of my money for healing my companions, because for some reason, my other companions are AWFUL at fighting.. I train my other companions, but there not the ones that I would want in a fight. I would like to stick to my main companions, because unlike my other companions, they know how to get a job done. You have to pay a fortune for the actions of an enemy. And you have to use up all your money because they ganged up on a certain companion, they did Relentless combo's, or they critical'ed on your companion. Why do you need to pay a lot of gold for the unfair actions of an enemy? It sounds wrong to me. I am totally fine with the wounding mechanic. BUT they need to reduce the prices, reduce the time, and allow all woundings to have the same time duration, because apparently, every time another companion is wounded, theirs is more expensive, and lasts MUCH longer. Its really stressful...
Well certain mechanics of fighting are helpful to remember in choosing who attacks who. It is never smart to take knives to a gunfight. Certain companions have almost no magical resistance so dont throw them at witchdoctors or musketeers to be turned into companionaid. If a companion has really good shielding for magical damage, then don't have them attack a buccaneer or swashbuckler.
I know you don't have much choice in who attacks them when it's the enemies turn but choosing wisely will make a huge difference in how well they survive the hits that they will trigger when they attack a target. Also farming for gear that allows you to protect them is very helpful too. Valor's Fortress and Valor's Armor have helped my hard hitting 'Squishies' survive long enough to make minion mush.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
Well certain mechanics of fighting are helpful to remember in choosing who attacks who. It is never smart to take knives to a gunfight. Certain companions have almost no magical resistance so dont throw them at witchdoctors or musketeers to be turned into companionaid. If a companion has really good shielding for magical damage, then don't have them attack a buccaneer or swashbuckler.
I know you don't have much choice in who attacks them when it's the enemies turn but choosing wisely will make a huge difference in how well they survive the hits that they will trigger when they attack a target. Also farming for gear that allows you to protect them is very helpful too. Valor's Fortress and Valor's Armor have helped my hard hitting 'Squishies' survive long enough to make minion mush.
There are those times when there is nothing I can do to protect a companion on mine. Like I said, I happen to have bad luck when it comes to enemies tending to critical and do a relentless combo on a companion. I don't mind companions being wounded, the only issue I have is the price. I stated that already in that comment.

Ensign
Jan 12, 2014
I think the healing system is completely flawed, and ruins the game.

You have to several hours to even use them again, because you can't use them when they are hurt. They will die quickly.

And if you try to heal them, you are forced to give over all of your gold you've earned. 50k gold to heal ONE companion? That's a joke.

And yes, i've spent my companion points leveling up some others. They are much worse than the companions I generally use. I gave them the right epics and talents, and they still fall far behind. Using them in combat is a joke.

So I can do roughly 4-5 battles a day until I have to quit playing. I'm paying ten dollars a month for nothing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Jul 11, 2014 wrote:

You don't have to set aside a promotion quest when that companion gets wounded/bed rest, just keep going, when it's time for your companion to fight; he or she will be revived! Just remember to put them on be rest again, so that when the actual promotion goes through, they'll GET HEALED! ( I found this out during El Toro's promotion.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Gamer4234 on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:

You have to several hours to even use them again, because you can't use them when they are hurt. They will die quickly.

And if you try to heal them, you are forced to give over all of your gold you've earned. 50k gold to heal ONE companion? That's a joke.

And yes, i've spent my companion points leveling up some others. They are much worse than the companions I generally use. I gave them the right epics and talents, and they still fall far behind. Using them in combat is a joke.

So I can do roughly 4-5 battles a day until I have to quit playing. I'm paying ten dollars a month for nothing.
Seems to me that you are complaining about the wrong things.

You can take only three companions into a fight at most, and yet, by the time you leave Skull Island you likely have twice that number.

If the others are chopped liver, then they are not powerful enough, and that is what you should complain about.

Frankly, with all of my companions up to full level, I rarely, if ever, have one defeated.

I also get Privateer heals, if my pirate is not a privateer. This goes a long way toward keeping companions out of bed rest.

Your battle strategy may also be at fault. If you send your buccaneer out to the middle of nowhere to battle one of the enemies in the back, don't be surprised if he gets surrounded by them all attacking him. Buccaneers tend to attract attack.

I usually use the first two round buffing up and letting the enemies come to me. I also concentrate all my fire power on one enemy at a time to eliminate them and reduce the number attacking each round.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Gamer4234 on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:

Who costs 50K to heal? Granted, I don't tend to lose companions (El Toro's unfortunate incident this evening notwithstanding) but I don't recall spending that much on him. I think I only spent 24K on him, and he's in the 50s somewhere. Are these maxed out companions?

We're supposed to be using strategies other than use-a-bigger-hammer to win the fights. Putting our injured companions on bed rest for a few hours should suggest that maybe instead of a hammer I want a screwdriver or wrench for this particular fight. In real life someone taking the damage our crews soak up would be in hospital weeks or months, assuming they survived at all.

As to your last point, perhaps you should start a new pirate, so when you've fought the fights you can with your main one, you can go back to the second pirate and feel like you're getting your money's worth.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
You don't have to set aside a promotion quest when that companion gets wounded/bed rest, just keep going, when it's time for your companion to fight; he or she will be revived! Just remember to put them on be rest again, so that when the actual promotion goes through, they'll GET HEALED! ( I found this out during El Toro's promotion.
What a wonderful tip that I was not aware of. Perhaps you could also put this one in the PHP thread.