Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Advanced Pets in normal combat

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
So, I love the new advanced pet system. But I'm wondering... Do changes to pets have any effect on normal combat?

Developer
Charles the Healer on Apr 9, 2014 wrote:
So, I love the new advanced pet system. But I'm wondering... Do changes to pets have any effect on normal combat?
Well... Yeah! Big time!

Before this update most pets just had a single talent and no powers.

After this update, they'll have half a dozen or so, both powers and talents, and everything they learn in the Pet Pavilion also works in normal combat.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Indeed they do, I was totally tickled when my old standby pet stopped to heal a companion for me. I was delighted.

Ensign
Feb 25, 2013
To add to what Radbeard said:

I love the fact that my pet joins in combat at different times! I noticed it tended to join when one of my companions was knocked out. This was great because it kept me from being overwhelmed after losing a fighter.

Ensign
Nov 18, 2009
And not just when you're down a Companion, either.
Just like on Live, I've had my pets show up at any random time during battle.
I've gotten one pet up high enough that it makes me cheer to see it appear during battle, as it wallops them (bad) pirates real good.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Ratbeard on Apr 9, 2014 wrote:
Well... Yeah! Big time!

Before this update most pets just had a single talent and no powers.

After this update, they'll have half a dozen or so, both powers and talents, and everything they learn in the Pet Pavilion also works in normal combat.
I thought that Pets were supposed to keep the talents or powers they originally had and would be carried over to Advanced pets...

Example: Armadillo Verde, which many players worked long and hard for, farming for weeks or months till we finally got one. Well, there was a nerf to them, and the community accepted the nerf. As compensation to this nerf, the Armadillo Verde got Riposte and Relentless...

However, on Advanced pets, these talents & powers are not being carried over... Not 1 of my Armadillo Verde have both talents, 1 has 1 of the talents, but 2 didn't get either... I am guessing this is a bug that still needs to be fixed...

Developer
Darth JT on Apr 9, 2014 wrote:
I thought that Pets were supposed to keep the talents or powers they originally had and would be carried over to Advanced pets...

Example: Armadillo Verde, which many players worked long and hard for, farming for weeks or months till we finally got one. Well, there was a nerf to them, and the community accepted the nerf. As compensation to this nerf, the Armadillo Verde got Riposte and Relentless...

However, on Advanced pets, these talents & powers are not being carried over... Not 1 of my Armadillo Verde have both talents, 1 has 1 of the talents, but 2 didn't get either... I am guessing this is a bug that still needs to be fixed...
Yep, we made sure to give them those two talents, and they should always be the first talents that unlock as the pet levels up.

We're looking into it.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
Oh! Cool. So... You can cheer your pets in normal combat? Or is the system more automatic? Hmm... That would certainly add an interesting... depth... to combat :)

...Again, as a huge pet player in Wizard101, I really appreciate that you guys have added quality content, instead of quantity content. You definitely need a balance between the two- At a certain point, more storyline content becomes just a grind, if there's never any new systems. This updates, and ones like it, are what make the game interesting to play, in my humble opinion. You certainly won't find me complaining about no new worlds :)

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Ratbeard on Apr 9, 2014 wrote:
Yep, we made sure to give them those two talents, and they should always be the first talents that unlock as the pet levels up.

We're looking into it.
I hope that is fixed, I didn't get them either.

Ensign
Nov 18, 2009
Charles the Healer on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
Oh! Cool. So... You can cheer your pets in normal combat? Or is the system more automatic? Hmm... That would certainly add an interesting... depth... to combat :)

I haven't found any way to cheer in normal combat - my pirate is too busy fighting to do that.I think Ratbeard is saying that when pets join in during normal combat, they have all the Talents and Powers they've learned. As well as any combat benefits from Guts and Guile.

Of course, my new pets don't start with any talents or powers but by frantically training one of them (while having my Companions crank out pet snacks/items!), I've gotten one or two to show up so far. My pets from Live have some Talents and a Power already, even without training.

The "post card" I got when my new pet hit a certain level was a surprise, too! :)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
And they have new animations in normal combat too! My lion has danced at foes (evidently surprising them!) and while my armadillo usually rolls into a ball and flings herself at the enemy, I also saw her stand up on her hind paws and lob a projectile (a short distance) at the hydra. So cute! (and effective!)

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
And they have new animations in normal combat too! My lion has danced at foes (evidently surprising them!) and while my armadillo usually rolls into a ball and flings herself at the enemy, I also saw her stand up on her hind paws and lob a projectile (a short distance) at the hydra. So cute! (and effective!)
Do you happen to actually have lion? or a imperial lion?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MightySwashbuckler... on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
The Imperial Lion you get for doing the Mooshu Mystic Badge.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
The projectile that the Armadillo throws is a cactus lol. Also, I have seen my little 'dillo, Commodore Vaden, use Kraken's Lament, Mojo Strike, and Blade of 100 Ninjas on a lot of enemies! I think these new A.Pets might be just the thing I need to become unstoppable! Soon, I will rule the whole Spiral with my Armadillo of DEATH!!! By the way, what if the Armada got their hands on one and turned it into a robot? It would be called an Armadadillo, right?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
MightySwashbuckler... on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
It's the Mooshu lion... ach, I'm forgetting its proper name... the one you get after completing the 'Mooshu Mystic' quests, I think

Ensign
Aug 16, 2008
I haven't had my pet join yet in my battles. I have my pet chosen and it is already level 34. Do I need to do something special? Does training effect the chances of showing up?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
It's the Mooshu lion... ach, I'm forgetting its proper name... the one you get after completing the 'Mooshu Mystic' quests, I think
Zeena just recently brought me back a Whiskered Egg which hatched into a furry little Imperial Lion pet named Sir Fluffy- so now Valkoor has two.

I can't wait to see what type of new, trained powers and talents my brand new Imperial Lion procures as he grows...and grows. Not to mention, what morphs may result from combining the little guy with other fine pets. Should be interesting!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
AutumnButtercup on May 16, 2014 wrote:
I haven't had my pet join yet in my battles. I have my pet chosen and it is already level 34. Do I need to do something special? Does training effect the chances of showing up?
Its a chance thing. Ya just never know when it will happen. As long as you have one equipped the chances are there. Check your backpack and make sure you can see that little blue hand on it's picture.