Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate101- Questions and Answers

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello fellow pirates.

I wanted to try and start a fresh topic thread were pirates of all levels could ask questions about the game and expect to get great answers from their fellow friendly pirates. I noticed that every day there are numerous new topics asking for help on various parts of the game. Many of those topics get answered with great insight from other pirates, however- many of them get lost in the shuffle due to new topics taking their place and the questions go unanswered.

So for that reason, I was hoping to start a thread topic where answers to the many questions we pirates have can conveniently be found in one source. By doing this it may help to keep the topic fresh with daily updates from either updated questions or answers, and in doing so it may be easier to find info you are looking for. In addition, it would help with having to worry about 'watching numerous topics' where you have posted questions. This thread topic could take the place of those 5, 10, 15 'watched topics', allowing you to free up space for other topics. After all, 25 topics isn't many to be able to watch.

Anyways, so please start with the question asking about anything and all things related to Pirate101. And to all you fellow pirates out there with your vast knowledge of the game get ready to help your friends out!

And remember, no question is a foolish one and anyone pirate captain on the boards with knowledge on the subject please feel free to answer.

Thanks for reading and responding to Questions From Pirates, Answered By Pirates.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello fellow pirates.

I wanted to try and start a fresh topic thread were pirates of all levels could ask questions about the game and expect to get great answers from their fellow friendly pirates. I noticed that every day there are numerous new topics asking for help on various parts of the game. Many of those topics get answered with great insight from other pirates, however- many of them get lost in the shuffle due to new topics taking their place and the questions go unanswered.

So for that reason, I was hoping to start a thread topic where answers to the many questions we pirates have can conveniently be found in one source. By doing this it may help to keep the topic fresh with daily updates from either updated questions or answers, and in doing so it may be easier to find info you are looking for. In addition, it would help with having to worry about 'watching numerous topics' where you have posted questions. This thread topic could take the place of those 5, 10, 15 'watched topics', allowing you to free up space for other topics. After all, 25 topics isn't many to be able to watch.

Anyways, so please start with the question asking about anything and all things related to Pirate101. And to all you fellow pirates out there with your vast knowledge of the game get ready to help your friends out!

And remember, no question is a foolish one and anyone pirate captain on the boards with knowledge on the subject please feel free to answer.

Thanks for reading and responding to Questions From Pirates, Answered By Pirates.
This is another great idea. Very similar to the tips thread but you can request what tip you need for right now. I like it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ok, so I have a question for all you wise pirates out there in regards to realms.

Say you are questing in a different realm than a logged on pirate from your friends list. If my friend were to request help and I teleported to the friend would I change to his/her realm? I was just curious about it and thought to try it out in the game but wanted to see if anyone on the boards happened to know.

Thanks!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I have one other question that came to mind. Actually I guess it is a few all dealing with gear drop rates.

I have heard a lot of pirates talk about drop rates and I wanted to know if some pirates truly have better drop rates than others. Or is it all just random and really has nothing to do with certain pirates having 'better numbers' when calculating their rate of dropped gear that would favor their particular pirate. Or is it simply that some pirates are just luckier than others

Maybe this is more a question for Administration or the Developers. If anyone has any expertise that they can share on this topic, I would more than appreciate it.

Two-Faced Valkoor Ohlen- Lvl 65

First Mate
May 01, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
Ok, so I have a question for all you wise pirates out there in regards to realms.

Say you are questing in a different realm than a logged on pirate from your friends list. If my friend were to request help and I teleported to the friend would I change to his/her realm? I was just curious about it and thought to try it out in the game but wanted to see if anyone on the boards happened to know.

Thanks!
Yes, you go to their realm if you are in a different realm. This brings up the very good point: that if you want to be in a certain realm when questing, you need to check which realm you are in after helping your friend out.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
I have one other question that came to mind. Actually I guess it is a few all dealing with gear drop rates.

I have heard a lot of pirates talk about drop rates and I wanted to know if some pirates truly have better drop rates than others. Or is it all just random and really has nothing to do with certain pirates having 'better numbers' when calculating their rate of dropped gear that would favor their particular pirate. Or is it simply that some pirates are just luckier than others

Maybe this is more a question for Administration or the Developers. If anyone has any expertise that they can share on this topic, I would more than appreciate it.

It is my understanding that the drop rates are random. I have always seemed to get better equipment more often if I had to use a sigil to get to the fight since a sigil is supposed to indicate a harder opponent.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
It is my understanding that the drop rates are random. I have always seemed to get better equipment more often if I had to use a sigil to get to the fight since a sigil is supposed to indicate a harder opponent.
Thank you for the responses SlightlyMadWizard!

I figured you probably went to their realm but wasn't positive- so thanks for clarifying. That is a good point about the checking realms, I hadn't thought of that.

I too thought the drop rates are random but in the game I constantly hear other higher level pirates talking about how they consistently have a good drop rate (better than others) and to get better gear you should fight bosses with them to increase your chances at more, rare gear. Just wasn't sure if this was true or just the case of a lucky pirate blowing smoke. Thanks for info on sigil(dungeon) bosses possibly giving better loot. It makes sense that you would be better rewarded for fighting tougher bosses.

Anyways, thanks again for the answers and help- I appreciate it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Being new to the boards you may not have heard Ratbeard's classic response to this question. Enjoy the giggles.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013

I think it's all random luck, but I've noticed my Swashbuckler keeps getting a lot of Privateer gear (more so than any other class including his own). Perhaps Ratbeard can go into some detail about drop rates and how it all works. Because lately, everyone is complaining that drop rates are too low, but that's probably because we don't know any better.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
Being new to the boards you may not have heard Ratbeard's classic response to this question. Enjoy the giggles.
Thank you Chrissy- once again you have exposed my wetness behind my ears. I will be sure to check out what the Rat has to say about this. Thanks indeed and believe me I will enjoy them- you too!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Wicked Victor Arms... on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
I think it's all random luck, but I've noticed my Swashbuckler keeps getting a lot of Privateer gear (more so than any other class including his own). Perhaps Ratbeard can go into some detail about drop rates and how it all works. Because lately, everyone is complaining that drop rates are too low, but that's probably because we don't know any better.
Thanks Victor- I kind of thought it was random. It doesn't really bother me or matter to me too much as far as the actual rate or numbers go. After all we can't always get what we want when we have no say in the matter but I am right there with you with the privateer drops. The majority of what I get dropped is for Privateers as well with Musketeers/Witchdoctor's a not so close second. I rarely get anything good for my buccaneer but I'll keep plucking away at it.

I just wanted to find out if all the hoopla others are complaining about is actually something worth complaining over- or should we just keep farming and be happy with what we get and sell the rest (or keep for our other pirates). Thanks again Victor.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello everyone, I was farming the Metal Guardian last week and I like to use El Toro and Goronado because they can swing/jump over the metal fences to activate the statues much faster. This got me to thinking, "Who are the other companions that can bypass tall obstacles like this. I have tried a portion of my companions but I thought it might just be easier to post the question. If anyone knows which other companions have this ability I would be interested in hearing the results.

And thank you.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Hello everyone, I was farming the Metal Guardian last week and I like to use El Toro and Goronado because they can swing/jump over the metal fences to activate the statues much faster. This got me to thinking, "Who are the other companions that can bypass tall obstacles like this. I have tried a portion of my companions but I thought it might just be easier to post the question. If anyone knows which other companions have this ability I would be interested in hearing the results.

And thank you.
A Ninja Pig can jump, if you have one. The Mistle Toad and Tricky Vinny can jump as well. Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah is also a good candidate. Yule Trogg is another one. There you have it!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:

And thank you.
Ooh good question. I for one am eager to hear the answer to this one too.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
warriorscreed on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
A Ninja Pig can jump, if you have one. The Mistle Toad and Tricky Vinny can jump as well. Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah is also a good candidate. Yule Trogg is another one. There you have it!
Thank you kindly warriorscreed! Alas I do not have any of those companions yet....but I do have some crowns waiting in the wings.

Are any of them worth getting and if so which one would you recommend most, if you don't mind me asking.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I have another question for the great minds that play the game. What is the difference, if any, in the armor bonuses attached to gear. Some say, for example- just 8 Armor, some +8 Armor and some +8 total armor (or something like that). Is there any difference or do they all just amount to adding 8 to your armor rating or # ? Or is there some other 'hidden' armor stat that is influenced by the different armor stat boosts that are used?

Thank you in advance for any answers or help.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Victor- I kind of thought it was random. It doesn't really bother me or matter to me too much as far as the actual rate or numbers go. After all we can't always get what we want when we have no say in the matter but I am right there with you with the privateer drops. The majority of what I get dropped is for Privateers as well with Musketeers/Witchdoctor's a not so close second. I rarely get anything good for my buccaneer but I'll keep plucking away at it.

I just wanted to find out if all the hoopla others are complaining about is actually something worth complaining over- or should we just keep farming and be happy with what we get and sell the rest (or keep for our other pirates). Thanks again Victor.
I have heard (and seen) that the drops improve (not only quantity, but quality) when there are more Pirates in the fight.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Jan 18, 2014 wrote:
I have heard (and seen) that the drops improve (not only quantity, but quality) when there are more Pirates in the fight.
Thanks for the info, yea I have seen it go both ways as well. Battling solo and getting nothing but gold and run of the mill equipment and also fighting solo (against Metal Guardian) and getting seven chests dropped, with each one having really good gear with 2 or 3 being really rare high end gear. Same goes for fighting with 3 or 4 pirates- not much for a few battles and then wow, great gear in a bunch of chests. So maybe it is just purely random after all ,but the chances of getting good drops just increase with more pirates (hence, more chests) being added to the mix.

Thanks again for the response.

Captain
May 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:
Thank you kindly warriorscreed! Alas I do not have any of those companions yet....but I do have some crowns waiting in the wings.

Are any of them worth getting and if so which one would you recommend most, if you don't mind me asking.
eep can promote twice and has 3 different regular attacks after that. he can also poison the enemies with the swashbucklers first poison skill. being a magician, im also sure he has good resistance. im not sure about the rest

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:

For me, hands down the highest damage dealer from the crown shop has been my Necromancer Pig. People have seen him in action and got one for themselves from the demonstration. Privateers get him free and all my other ones will have him bought. Well maybe my swashie may not as she has Chilam Bak, the the Calaca Ravager from the Tribal Pack. He seems, so far to be a real damage dealer and has the same epics as the Necromancer Pig so I will know for sure when he gets to the level that you get the Pig so I can compare for sure.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Sneaky George Quar... on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
eep can promote twice and has 3 different regular attacks after that. he can also poison the enemies with the swashbucklers first poison skill. being a magician, im also sure he has good resistance. im not sure about the rest
Thank you for the info on Eep, Sneaky George. I just may have to check him out, as I wouldn't mind have a poisonous frog on my crew. Promoting twice is nice as well. Again, I appreciate the info.

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Why the high price of traing tones?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
pirate101 lover on Jan 20, 2014 wrote:
Why the high price of traing tones?
I agree that they do cost a pretty gold coin and especially when your pirate reaches max level. Although I think the ratio may pretty much remain the same as you level, as far as gold your pirate gets in drops from current level enemies, ships and chests in relationship to the cost of the training tomes for that current level. So I guess the more gold your pirate is supposed to get at his/her current level- the more the tomes are going to cost. 8000+ per tome is a lot, so that is why it is important to buy all you can with each level your pirate gains.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
For me, hands down the highest damage dealer from the crown shop has been my Necromancer Pig. People have seen him in action and got one for themselves from the demonstration. Privateers get him free and all my other ones will have him bought. Well maybe my swashie may not as she has Chilam Bak, the the Calaca Ravager from the Tribal Pack. He seems, so far to be a real damage dealer and has the same epics as the Necromancer Pig so I will know for sure when he gets to the level that you get the Pig so I can compare for sure.
Thanks for the tip and the info Chrissy- you will be happy to know that a few days after one of our in game adventures, I invited the Nec. Pig to join my crew. Just like you said, watching him in action as your first mate, was all the convincing I needed- plus I don't have many witchdoctors to begin with. At level 67 and fully armed and dangerous, he is definitely a powerhouse in battle.

So, I thank you for demonstrating his awesomeness.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
A question for any Kingsisle administrator , developer, moderator or programmer. I have been contributing to the P101 wiki lately and I have been adding some images of missing companions. A great place to get good screenshots of them is in a tavern. When you have a large crew, it can be tough to get the 'right' companions to show up in the tavern. I thought that maybe your 1st mate would always show up, but this isn't the case.

I can always switch my 1st mate around to get the shots but I was curious about the tavern question, because in the tavern your pirate can have free roam with lots of companions standing still, posing and saying "toasted cheese" (nod to Sam) for their photo?

So my question is;

Is there any way to influence which companions show up in the tavern or is it 100% random?