Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Roleplay - A Masked Ball in Padova

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Sam Underhill on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
Sam's eyes followed the Nightingale as she followed her charges. Something about her was familiar. That, or this place was giving him the willies. Ever since he and Magdelena had entered the palace he had felt as if someone was always watching - which more than likely was true. Who knew how many observers - paid and unpaid - were watching, well, everyone. Nonetheless a healthy dose of paranoia never hurt anyone. More or less.

Sam smiled as he saw his Unicorn friend approach, although he hid his sigh of relief. At least she hadn't been captured or suffered any unforeseen consequences. Maybe now they could get out of here under some pretext or another. Maybe food poisoning? No, that might lead to other unwanted inquiries. He'd just have to tough it out.

"I saved you a sweet, my sweet," he wittily pronounced as he proferred a sculpted marzipan rose to her. Magdelena curtisied and accepted the morsel, signalling with her fan, Careful, we are being watched.

"I see you have found another admirer, mio amor. The lovely songbird seemed quite taken with you. I do hope you made a date with her for a dance later. It must be a blessing to..."

Sam didn't hear anything further of Magdelena's commentary. CHRISSY! The voice, the mannerism, what in the Spiral was Chrissy of all people doing here? And as the chaperone for a gaggle of silly Human girls? Squid! Not silly girls after all. Maybe they were... someone else - just like he was! Pieces of an unseen puzzle began forming in Sam's mind. Had she recognized him? Was she giving him some kind of warning? Suddenly things were taking an even more sinister aura. He began to sense he was being used - not by Magdelena, surely she was a pawn as well - but someone was running a deep game all around him. He turned to look again at the nightingale, but she had already passed beyond view.

"... and after all that we will be dancing the one we practiced, remember? I do hope you haven't forgotten... Sam? Sam?"

"It's alright," Sam reassured her, coming back to his senses. "Too much sugar, I guess. I take it you found the gingerbread?" This was the code word they had developed for Magdelena's quest.

"Yes, it was delicious." Her look told him all was well. It would better he not find out about other things until afterwards, boys could be so overprotective. She took his arm and led him to the main room to watch the initial bouts of dancing.

"I think we should keep our eyes open," Sam cautioned, "something tells me this evening has only just begun."
Step left, step right, piva left. This time the shoulders moved as you went forward. Then again starting on the right foot - step right, step left, piva right. Magdelena had called this bit, Sequence ‘A’. He had a brief moment to recover his composure as Magdelena performed the same steps, catching up to him. From the corner of his eye Sam could see she moved far more gracefully than he, and her shoulders moved in a more suggestive manner.

Now it was time for Sequence ‘B’. Again he soloed, Piva left, piva right, piva left, step right, moving away from his partner. Then again, this time starting on the right foot. He breathed a short sigh of relief as he waited for Magdelena to rejoin him. Her movements were seamless, she kept her eyes lowered just so, swaying her hips just a little flirtatiously. But just as she reached him, it was time to move off again.

But from then on it was smooth sailing, the steps returning to Sam’s brain like a well practiced sword combination. He began to lose himself in the remainder of the dance. Sequence ‘A’ again, ending with a half turn to face Magdelena. Then both partners did another Reverenza. He returned to her side with another Sequence ‘B’.

The slightest of nods showed Magdelena’s approval of his dance so far. Halfway done, but in Sam’s mind the hardest part was over. Now it was just a repeat of the entire dance, excepting the Lady performs all the solos first, the Gentlemen playing catch up. At the end of the entire dance, they Riverenza one last time.
Still holding hands, Sam and Magdelena exited the dance floor to scattered applause. Although not perfect, Sam felt at least as if he had not shamed himself, or anyone else. Once they had comfortably reached the sidelines, she gave his hand a squeeze.

Bene, mio amor.’ Sam’s heart went flying.

Petty Officer
May 30, 2013
OOC: By the way, our school's having its annual carnival this Wednesday, and guess what the theme is? Masquerade Ball.

I'm scared now...

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Finally, I can 'speak' again! And 'Yarr' once more! (Enthusiastically kisses the beach of Skull Island; discreetly spits out sand thereafter). Note to self: do not ever take up a vow of silence, it would be unlikely to last long.

My, I certainly have gotten used to the privilege of the Pirate101 message boards, and being 'away' little more than a fortnight I have still terribly missed it! More later, as I have work to do first, but yes, Calamity, that was very good about the Doge delegating authority, and thanks Claire for letting me know your decision (phew, I was wondering how I was going to wiggle the story about to get you out of prison if you chose the other option! And this choice is far more interesting, as you will see...)

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
"Grace! Wait up!" "Get away from me, you Phantom! What do you want?" "It's me, your brother. Grace, I.. I just.. I just wanted to dance with you. But you musketters think so low of us buccaneers, and I knew you would be embarrassed to dance with me. That's why I pretended to be a ghost that spoke a lettle bit of German." "Oh, George. I never thought..." "You're still my lettle girl, Grace. Ever since I adopted you from Avery. And vatching you grow up... it vas too much for me." "Come." "Vhere are ve going Gracie?" "We're going to dance. The kind where the dad dances with his little girl, like in a Quicencera." (OOC: A Quicencera is a Spanish version of a sweet 16.) "Are you kidding?! I vould love to!" And so they danced together. Grace with her half mask, and her German adoptive father with his half mask.

(Aww, so sweet. The Phantom is revealed! But most of you ignored him anyways.)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
OOC: I don't think anyone ignored the phantom. I was curious, but did not know where you might be going with it. I suspect people didn't want to get in the way of where you were taking it. As for the characters in the story, perhaps they thought it was another part of the entertainment. I enjoyed the reference to "Phantom of the Opera".

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Mar 22, 2014 wrote:
Following the formal opening dances, Scarlet managed to take a step back and catch her breath. The dancing had been fun and she felt that she hadn't made any mis-steps. Although her swashbuckling skills had helped a lot in learning the various dances. But she couldn't really watch for danger properly while dancing. Sure, she could just wait for something to happen and then react, but Scarlet really preferred to always know, or at least have a pretty good idea of what was happening before hand.

For instance, the surrounding Armada troopers. Most were clearly just footmen, the unicorn footmen were the easyiest to spot behind their modified masks. But even the humans were easy to tell from the real clockworks. They simply moved too much, even the better ones shifted their weight from foot to the other occasionally. Scarlet was sure she had even seen one clockwork sneeze. But, then near the exits and in a few other places were the perfect statues of real Armada clockworks, the ones that never fidgited, sneezed or even breathed. At least there weren't that many of those ones.

And then there was that Throckmorton. Why was a Marleybonian waltzing around Valencia practically screaming "Pip pip, time for tea with the Queen eh."? Valencia and Marleybone are at war. Throckmorton had to be a Valencian sympathizer at the very least. In Scarlet's mind that made Throckmorton a traitor. She had to do something about that.

Glancing up at the still firmly attached and very lovely chandelier, Scarlet quickly found Chrissy standing at the side of the room with a few other servants.

Isabella quietly took Lucia by the arm and began walking back towards the spot where her mother and sisters were standing.

"Lucia, I 'ope some of these gentlemen 'ave asked you to dance. You do dance so well. In fact, I zought I saw zat Monsieur Zrockmorton asking you."

OOC: Scarlet is asking Chrissy to watch Sam for her, but I'm running out of room to write
(OOC: Sam, I know I told you already, but just want to say that I really loved that dance sequence!)

Orlando danced with Scarlet once again. Although their conversation was impeded by the quick, energetic steps of the bourree they were dancing, they still managed to discuss a favorite subject - squid. Orlando was charmed by Isabella's knowledge, knowledge that extended beyond the squid he had been able to study. It never occurred to him to wonder how a young lady of restricted society of his own island could have gained such knowledge; he was too absorbed in the delights of new information.

At last, pink and breathless from their exertions, the dancers made their ending reverence to each other. Orlando politely led Isabella to the sidelines, where he intended to enjoy more conversation with her after he had done the gentlemanly duty of offering to fetch her lemonade. As he made his offer, he noticed the Countess Pergolesi and her company nearby, and with a courtly bow extended his offer politely to her and the ladies with her as well.

"Thank you, young Foscari," Beatrice Pergolesi replied with like courtesy. "However, I believe we are already well-supplied with refreshments. You need only tend to your young lady," she added, nodding politely to Isabella. Then her voice sharpened and took on a dry edge. "I trust, Orlando Foscari, that you are not becoming like your father?"

Orlando blushed, and bowed again to cover it. "Ma dona, my father is greatly to be esteemed. I love and honor him, but I fear I am not the son he would wish me to be."

The stern lines of Beatrice's aged face softened at this candid reply. "You are honest, and loyal. Those are rare traits. Your father should approve of them. Indeed, he should learn from you." She swept him a curtsey, then took her leave, her grand-daughter and two elegantly dressed human girls following her.

Orlando sensed the question in Isabella's eyes, and blushed again. "You must forgive the Contessa Pergolesi. She bears my father a deep grudge, I think. I don't know what happened, really, only something about her son and daughter being involved in the Resistance - which is against the Law, you know," he added with awkward earnestness. "I suppose they met the ultimate price for their rebellion, which is very sad. I especially remember Beatrice's daughter, Fiamnetta, who used to give me sweets when I was small." Orlando looked pensive and unhappy, not liking to think of what probably had happened to her.

"Anyway," Orlando continued, trying for a more casual air, "everyone pretends they died in an accident, to spare the Contessa the shame of the truth."

continued...

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
"My father is still fond of the Contessa, really," Orlando continued, "though he constantly complains about her adversarial position on the Council. He says he remembers when she was young and merry. I think he had sort of a crush on her, back when he was young. But she isn't young anymore, and since her children are dead, and her granddaughter not yet of age, my father would have to appoint a new Council member if she passed away."

Orlando bit his lip, suddenly remembering his father speculating on the benefits of such a decision. But that was only when he was in a temper about Council business, Orlando told himself, and did not tell Isabella. He didn't want her to think of his father in a poor light.

"I'm glad I wouldn't be appointed to the Council," Orlando opined in a light tone. "I don't understand politics at all. I much prefer studying natural history. That I can understand."

And Beatrice Pergolesi made sure she was well out of earshot of Orlando and Isabella, when she murmured to her granddaughter: "Who is that young lady with Orlando Foscari? I thought I knew all the Doge's guests..."

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Calamity Finch on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
OOC: I don't think anyone ignored the phantom. I was curious, but did not know where you might be going with it. I suspect people didn't want to get in the way of where you were taking it. As for the characters in the story, perhaps they thought it was another part of the entertainment. I enjoyed the reference to "Phantom of the Opera".
I agree. I wasn't ignoring either. I was waiting to see where you were going with it. I am the last one to get in the way of someone's plots. I am a great Phantom lover and wanted to see if the "Music of the Pardovian Night" was going to start leading someone into the sewers.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
I agree. I wasn't ignoring either. I was waiting to see where you were going with it. I am the last one to get in the way of someone's plots. I am a great Phantom lover and wanted to see if the "Music of the Pardovian Night" was going to start leading someone into the sewers.
(Ooo, good idea. That was a great play. When I said ignored, I meant no characters acknowledged him.)

"Help! Someone! Please help!" "Shush, girl!" The new phantom had kidnapped Grace, with the "Music of the Night" playing. He took her to his sewers hideout. "Now, my angel! Sing! Sing for me!" "No! I won't! Dad! Help!" "Fine! If you won't sing then just stay down and be quiet." She approached the Phantom, who was busy conducting to notice her. She reaches to his face, and takes off the half mask he wears. "Why?! How dare you! Give me my mask!" And his face was scarred. The face that poisons all love.

(Phantom Jr.! Now an actual evil plot. Thanks for the idea, Chrissy.)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
OOC: -bursts out laughing- Oh my gosh, Sam, I swear I just laughed so hard. I feel a little bad for doing so, but I swear, the casuality of Sam just waving Hi when Anne's about to die.... Curse you Sam! (In a good way) -hands a congratulatory brownie tart-

Ciao!
Emma soon found her dance card full, practically besieged by a number of young men, mostly Unicorns, but also a few Guinea Pigs, two humans, and one Fox. At the moment she danced with a handsome Unicorn who regarded her admiringly with his soft brown eyes as he led her through the steps of a graceful basse danse. Her had introduced himself as Martino Ariosto, and had conversed lightly and intelligently at first, but now his conversation had lapsed into odd pauses.

Emma gave him an inquiring look, and he gave a quick shake of his head. "Forgive me, Dona Kara, but I am simply distracted by gazing upon your beauty." The flash from her eyes plainly showed her disbelief in the courtly convention, and he laughed. "No, 'tis true, I swear," he added as they did the reverenza together. "Yes, your charming fox mask - which no doubt is a mute testament to your cleverness and intelligence - does hide most of your face but does not hide your grace, your expressive eyes, or the pale glory of your hair."

Here they were separated briefly by a figure of the dance, but Martino continued when they came back together. "And thus is the cause of my distraction. In my mind I wish to make poetic description of you, but I am lacking the proper words. I could call your hair 'gold', for it gives a sense of something precious, shimmering in the candlelight, but gold is too hard and cold to describe something so soft and fine, something that shifts and moves. As a poet, finding the right words is very important to me," he added seriously.

"I confess I am not the best poet of my family, though I had the pleasure of publishing a small collection of works in the year past. Almost all of my family are writers and poets, which makes for lively conversation at family gatherings but also thorough criticism." Martino nodded at the figure of Benvolio Ariosto, crossing behind the line of dancers intent on some business of his own. "Witness my youngest brother, Benvolio. Poor Benvolio never took to writing and poetry like the rest of us. We all were kind, I hope, but I have been close to him, and I know the knowledge rankled."

"Still, he has other talents: Benvolio writes a fair hand, quite beautifully really, and is intelligent enough," Martino related with the offhand assessment of a sibling. "It was good that he got the position of secretary to the Doge, an honorable profession. I hope it has eased his frustration that he couldn't keep up with the rest of us," he concluded with a small sigh and an affectionate glance to where his brother had gone.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
totallyawesomepira... on Mar 23, 2014 wrote:
OOC: Ack! I'm SOOOOO sorry! I took up this dare that required me to write, like, 1000 words a day, for a month. So, when I finally finish the word goal for the day, the last thing I want to do is write a roleplay! PLEASE forgive this ignorant pirate! I'll write it now...

Claire set her jaw and looked straight ahead, weighing her options. Mainly she saw it as, Do Benvolio's Offer and Live to See Tomorrow, or Die. Pretty straightforeword. Claire cuncluded, But there must be a catch.

But try as she might, Claire couldn't see it. A sharp yank from Benvolio brought her to reality.

"Well?" Benvolio hissed. "Have you decided?"

Claire looked him in his black, beady eye, and said seven simple words.

"I have decided, and I choose yes."
(sharp and incisive writing, er, totally awesome pirate. I like it! I'm sure your major creative writing project had a lot of gems in it as well )

Benvolio released Claire's arm, and nodded, satisfied. Claire thought she detected relief too, and perhaps triumph? That didn't make her feel any better.

"Bene. Now signorina imposter," he addressed her sardonically, "You may go and take some refreshment now, but otherwise stay in the ballroom where I can see you. If I do not see you, I will assume that you have slipped off for some mission of your own that might be to the detriment of my master, the Doge. I will not permit that. If I do not see you, I will report you immediately, and you will be found and taken to the dungeons. You do not want that, trust me. When the time comes to do your small service to me, I will let you know. Once you have performed that service for me, then you are free to come and go as you please, though I implore you, for your own safety, do not try any foolish search of the Doge's well guarded palace."

He bowed before taking his leave, somehow giving the courtly move the same sardonic edge. "Do enjoy the Ball."

Petty Officer
May 30, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Mar 27, 2014 wrote:
(sharp and incisive writing, er, totally awesome pirate. I like it! I'm sure your major creative writing project had a lot of gems in it as well )

Benvolio released Claire's arm, and nodded, satisfied. Claire thought she detected relief too, and perhaps triumph? That didn't make her feel any better.

"Bene. Now signorina imposter," he addressed her sardonically, "You may go and take some refreshment now, but otherwise stay in the ballroom where I can see you. If I do not see you, I will assume that you have slipped off for some mission of your own that might be to the detriment of my master, the Doge. I will not permit that. If I do not see you, I will report you immediately, and you will be found and taken to the dungeons. You do not want that, trust me. When the time comes to do your small service to me, I will let you know. Once you have performed that service for me, then you are free to come and go as you please, though I implore you, for your own safety, do not try any foolish search of the Doge's well guarded palace."

He bowed before taking his leave, somehow giving the courtly move the same sardonic edge. "Do enjoy the Ball."
As Claire watched the unicorn stride across the room, fading into the crowd, she wasn't sure what she thought. She leaned against the wall as the dance music played, traumatized. It had all happened so quickly, but it had felt like forever.

Claire stood, supported by the wall, for what could have been a minute, but was just as likely to be an hour. Soon she noticed Dona Marcia dashing toward her, but it was surreal, as if a dream.

Please be a dream, Claire prayed. Please be a dream where I can wake up and go back to my bedroom and never pay another thought to the awful decision I just made.

But it was not a dream. Her surrealism was broken as Dona Marcia shook Claire's shoulders, her eyes glistening with tears.

"Claire!Claire, mi ragazza, are you alright? What has that man done to you?"

Claire's mind didn't register everything at first, but when it did, every single part of Claire tried to respond. Really, it did. But all that happened was Claire collapsing into the Dona's arms and sobbing. The Dona reacted with the love of a mother, gently rocking and stroking the girl's hair, letting her cry into her shoulder, whispering, "There, there," into her delicate ear.

But inside, there was as much guilt as there was sympathy. How could the Dona have made the foolish mistake to not only allow, but actually encourage bringing the girl here? Claire was 12. 12! A child! She had so much life, so much opportunity! She even had a bit of childhood left. And to crush it all, force her into the dangerous world of war, the Resistance. How could she have done this?

Then the Dona remembered Cassandra.

The sweet girl was the child any parent could hope for. A naturally bubbly personality, a love of learning, and an optimistic smile wherever she went. As their tutor, the Dona couldn't have been prouder. Then, the two girls had accidentally stumbled upon a book in the library that mentioned the Resistance. Their aunt had no choice but to tell the girls about the war, the evil of the Armada, the reason for the Resistance.

After that, both girls took a toll, but Cassandra was the most effected. She refused to play the games she had once loved. She spent most of her time reading, and shut almost everyone except Claire out. She looked at the Armada differently, and was more silent, making personal vows to ensure the Resistance prevailed. In one day, she had grown up.

And then came the eve of her 12th birthday.

Everyone was traumatized at that. Claire spent most of the day in her bedroom, sobbing over her sister, who was surely dead. The Dona sighed at the memory. The Armada had most probably killed the girl when they found out of her relationship with the Resistance. It was an awful day indeed.

The Dona wondered why she was thinking this, when she realized Claire was saying something. It was what Benvolio had told her.

The Dona's eyes widened, then she smiled with realization.

"He never said anything about me getting the paper."

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
A small party of pirates traveling in the sewers, following a dog from Marleybone paused in the tunnel. "Did you hear something?" It was hard to tell with all the echos, but they could just make out the words,"... Dad! Help!"
"Did Kenneth go this way?" the Captain asked the dog.
"I don't believe so ma'am, but the tunnel could double back, or Kenneth might have."
"We'd better check it out."
They emerged into a room that might have once been a storage area for tunnel workmen, but the only real word for it now was lair. It just screamed lair. A gondola in the in the sewers, she could kind of understand, but how in the world did someone get a pipe organ in here? And why would anyone want to? Perhaps an extreme devotion to echoing acoustics? There was a very well dressed female in party clothes, and a figure in a cloak with his back to them.
He snatched a mask from the girl, put it on, and spun towards them. He saw a horse, mouse, chicken and girl in blue work dresses, and a dog dressed in tacky orange clothes. The girl asked, " Did someone here yell for help? If not, we'll be moving on about our own business."

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
Calamity Finch on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
A small party of pirates traveling in the sewers, following a dog from Marleybone paused in the tunnel. "Did you hear something?" It was hard to tell with all the echos, but they could just make out the words,"... Dad! Help!"
"Did Kenneth go this way?" the Captain asked the dog.
"I don't believe so ma'am, but the tunnel could double back, or Kenneth might have."
"We'd better check it out."
They emerged into a room that might have once been a storage area for tunnel workmen, but the only real word for it now was lair. It just screamed lair. A gondola in the in the sewers, she could kind of understand, but how in the world did someone get a pipe organ in here? And why would anyone want to? Perhaps an extreme devotion to echoing acoustics? There was a very well dressed female in party clothes, and a figure in a cloak with his back to them.
He snatched a mask from the girl, put it on, and spun towards them. He saw a horse, mouse, chicken and girl in blue work dresses, and a dog dressed in tacky orange clothes. The girl asked, " Did someone here yell for help? If not, we'll be moving on about our own business."
"Yes, I/she did." said Phantom and Grace. "Do I really have to tell the whole story? Maestro, if you'd please." The Phantom walked over to his piano, muttering something under his breath. "... And here we are."
(By the way, this entire spleel was sarcastic. Grace was supposed to be annoyed that someone heard her call for help, but they acted as if nothing unusual was going on.)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
The horse had tears in her eye as she said, "That was beautiful. Such a heartbreaking and amazing story." The chicken also nodded. The girl said in puzzlement, "So you are both fine and no one really needs help? You are just here for some singing?" They nodded. "But why here?"
The Phantom paused before he answered. "Good acoustics."
"Ok then, we'll be on our way." The girls followed her lead and curtsied, the dog bowed. On their way out, the girl said, "Back to the search for Kenneth. ... Sarah are you humming?"
"It was catchy, Captain. A lovely tune."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Mar 1, 2014 wrote:
OOC: Sorry I haven't replied in a little bit... I'm thinking Mariella is going to be the one who ends up accepting Sam's offer, as Violetta seems to be a little shy around him, though I just want to make sure before I write. Is this the case, or will it be Kara with Mr. Throckmorton?

Also, Sam, wonderfully written. I had to suppress a snort of laughter when I read "Now it seemed that brains could be lurking within these girls." (Just to let you know, making me laugh at that time was comically dangerous, as I had been taking a sip of milk, and I'm not very fond of drink coming out of my nose)
Elizabeth, better known at the moment as Mariella, now danced her second dance with the Guinea Pig representative on Padova's Council, Signore Luciano Bonocini, an able and considerate dance partner, and a very chatty one. Her sharp, assessing eye reflected that perhaps someone so very plump shouldn't be wearing breeches, waistcoat, and coat of such a shiny, lilac-colored satin, but on the other hand, the merry Guinea Pig seemed to be perfectly happy and supremely comfortable being short and fat.

He had expressed delight that dona Mariella had the pavane - followed by the galliarde and La Volta - free. "These tall Unicorn ladies, how am I going to dance La Volta with them?" he asked with a comical expression. "Guinea Pig ladies, ah bene, they I can please by tossing them into the air, but you, who likely weighs as much as an orange, you I could toss to the ceiling, yes? Haha, we shall have a marvelous time dancing!" He twinkled happily.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Elizabeth, better known at the moment as Mariella, now danced her second dance with the Guinea Pig representative on Padova's Council, Signore Luciano Bonocini, an able and considerate dance partner, and a very chatty one. Her sharp, assessing eye reflected that perhaps someone so very plump shouldn't be wearing breeches, waistcoat, and coat of such a shiny, lilac-colored satin, but on the other hand, the merry Guinea Pig seemed to be perfectly happy and supremely comfortable being short and fat.

He had expressed delight that dona Mariella had the pavane - followed by the galliarde and La Volta - free. "These tall Unicorn ladies, how am I going to dance La Volta with them?" he asked with a comical expression. "Guinea Pig ladies, ah bene, they I can please by tossing them into the air, but you, who likely weighs as much as an orange, you I could toss to the ceiling, yes? Haha, we shall have a marvelous time dancing!" He twinkled happily.
LOL! Brilliant XD

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:

(OOC: Calamity, you made me laugh with your cleverly comic rationale for a lair: "good acoustics" But back to the story...)

Mariella had already learned that Bononcini was head of the Silversmith's Guild in the city of Padova. During the slow, stately steps of the pavane, he needed little encouragement to talk. "Ah, there is my colleague, Dona Elena Cornaro," he nodded smilingly at a tall Unicorn woman with a straight, regal bearing. "She is a younger daughter of the powerful Cornaro family, but she didn't get her position at the University from their influence. No indeed! She is distinguished professor of Mathematics and Rational Philosophy at the University of Padova entirely on her own merits. Of course, the University is closed presently -- oh, you should have seen her when the ruling was handed down! She is usually so very cool and composed that is difficult to tell what she is thinking, or even which faction in Padova she favors. Sometimes I do wonder if she is as patriotic as I am, but she has often reiterated her first loyalty is to King Casimir. And I should hope we all feel that way! But anyway, when the word came from Caesarius Argentus, the lead Armada factor here in the city, you know, that the University was to be temporarily closed, oh how very angry she was! I had no idea the woman could express such emotion!

"Of course, were I in her position, I would feel the same way," the Guinea Pig offered fairly, "at least in the heat of the moment. Still, I think I managed to convince her that surely this ruling was for the best, even if they were quite heavy handed about it. After all the Armada has served as most loyal and effective agents of the King."

"Indeed, practically everyone supports the decisions handed through the Armada agents. And why not? If it weren't for them, there might be no Valencia today, only a subject nation of Polaris. And since then they have been so good for our beloved country, so good for business!" Bononcini gave a little self-depreciating chuckle. "Of course, as a silversmith, I am very interested in business. I would hate for my hard work --my works of art!-- to be stolen by pirates, for instance. We have prospered since the Armada took control of our skies. Guiseppi Zipoli, my Crab friend on the Council, have often discussed this and are much alike in our thinking. He's head of the Shipbuilder's guild and has praised the Armada for improving the safety of our ships, which certainly has led to more good business for the shipbuilders. More merchants feel safer taking to the skies these days, which is good for everyone, thanks to the protection of the Armada."

Now the galliard had begun, and the dance became too energetic for conversation. For all his plumpness, Luciano Bononcini could caper with the best of them. Despite his disturbing revelations, Lizzy felt delighted with the skillful way he tossed her in the air for the Volta, for a moment feeling as if she had wings herself.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Calamity Finch on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
The horse had tears in her eye as she said, "That was beautiful. Such a heartbreaking and amazing story." The chicken also nodded. The girl said in puzzlement, "So you are both fine and no one really needs help? You are just here for some singing?" They nodded. "But why here?"
"Ok then, we'll be on our way." The girls followed her lead and curtsied, the dog bowed. On their way out, the girl said, "Back to the search for Kenneth. ... Sarah are you humming?"
OOC Now that made me giggle. Well done. Dang now that song is in my head too. Oh well, guess I just give up and put the DVD in and sing at the top of my heart.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
OOC Anne & Sam your dance descriptions are so brilliant I can almost see them. And I knew almost nothing about the names and steps of these dances, just enjoyed them in film. I truly wish I could really see this stuff. I have looked at the dance links Anne provided and loved them. Thanks to you I can almost think I might be able to learn them. Your writing is beyond excellent. It is truly picturesque.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
Calamity Finch on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
"Since you're not helping her, go away." said the Phantom. "Now, my Angel. Sing! Sing for me! Sing, my Angel of Music!" "Once again, no." "Fine. I don't want to do this do you, but I have to." The Phantom holds up a crystal, one that would fit on a locket someone gave her a long time ago. Grace was immediately attracted to it, and slowly started walking towards it. "Good, girl. Now sing!" Grace immediately starts singing a song about a true love. The Phantom is touched by it, and starts taking off his mask, and it drops to the floor. Grace stops singing, and stares at the Phantom's face. It is covered in scars, scars from past true loves, and she drops to the floor, with the mask in her hand.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
OOC Anne & Sam your dance descriptions are so brilliant I can almost see them. And I knew almost nothing about the names and steps of these dances, just enjoyed them in film. I truly wish I could really see this stuff. I have looked at the dance links Anne provided and loved them. Thanks to you I can almost think I might be able to learn them. Your writing is beyond excellent. It is truly picturesque.
(OOC: Thank you so much Chrissy. Your supportive words mean a great deal to me. And I believe many if not all these dances can be found on Youtube; if not, just looking at Renaissance and Baroque dances will give you the idea. And, guess what, you're next! )

Chrissy enjoyed the country dance she was currently dancing, strangely -yet appropriately- named The Skull Island Queen*. Her partner was the esteemed Signore Guiseppi Zipoli, Crab member of the Council. He was not the most elegant or graceful dancer, but he had not yet stepped on her feet, and better still was the courtesy he extended to 'Lucia', when many others had not even noticed her, dismissing her as a servant, even if a high-ranking one.

She complimented Zipoli warmly on his sensitivity and courtesy. He gave a gruff laugh. "Too many of us are fools who can not see beyond rank and estate. They miss the most priceless gems, simply because they are not set in a golden setting," he remarked with courtly grace and a smile to Lucia. He cast a critical look towards the Doge, who was in another set of the same dance, partnering an elegant, middle-aged lady Unicorn. "Our Serene Prince would do well not to so esteem the division on ranks, himself. He has an able secretary, an intelligent youth, who has fallen in love with the Doge's daughter -- if the rumors be true. Knowing the young lady in question, I think it more likely that dona Danielle would be flirting with him mostly to annoy her father. If the Doge didn't object so, then likely the foolish romance would fizzle and not have the delight of the forbidden."

"But if the girl's aim was to irritate her father, it worked. She has been sent away on 'holiday', I understand. It was that or dismiss his secretary, and the Doge knows the value of a good assistant," Zipoli added with an ironic lilt to his tone.

Coming to the bottom of the set, they had to sit out one repetition of the dance to then rejoin going up the line. Zipoli seized the chance to speak more privately. "And how is your friend, Maestra Lia? My second cousin who works in the Doge's dungeon conveyed our words of sympathy and support, but sadly, that was all he could do. I have heard she was released; is she well?"

* There's a Playford English Country dance (late 17th C. I think) called The Indian Queen... I just had to play with that!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
(OOC: Thank you so much Chrissy. Your supportive words mean a great deal to me. And I believe many if not all these dances can be found on Youtube; if not, just looking at Renaissance and Baroque dances will give you the idea. And, guess what, you're next! )

Chrissy enjoyed the country dance she was currently dancing, strangely -yet appropriately- named The Skull Island Queen*. Her partner was the esteemed Signore Guiseppi Zipoli, Crab member of the Council. He was not the most elegant or graceful dancer, but he had not yet stepped on her feet, and better still was the courtesy he extended to 'Lucia', when many others had not even noticed her, dismissing her as a servant, even if a high-ranking one.

She complimented Zipoli warmly on his sensitivity and courtesy. He gave a gruff laugh. "Too many of us are fools who can not see beyond rank and estate. They miss the most priceless gems, simply because they are not set in a golden setting," he remarked with courtly grace and a smile to Lucia. He cast a critical look towards the Doge, who was in another set of the same dance, partnering an elegant, middle-aged lady Unicorn. "Our Serene Prince would do well not to so esteem the division on ranks, himself. He has an able secretary, an intelligent youth, who has fallen in love with the Doge's daughter -- if the rumors be true. Knowing the young lady in question, I think it more likely that dona Danielle would be flirting with him mostly to annoy her father. If the Doge didn't object so, then likely the foolish romance would fizzle and not have the delight of the forbidden."

"But if the girl's aim was to irritate her father, it worked. She has been sent away on 'holiday', I understand. It was that or dismiss his secretary, and the Doge knows the value of a good assistant," Zipoli added with an ironic lilt to his tone.

Coming to the bottom of the set, they had to sit out one repetition of the dance to then rejoin going up the line. Zipoli seized the chance to speak more privately. "And how is your friend, Maestra Lia? My second cousin who works in the Doge's dungeon conveyed our words of sympathy and support, but sadly, that was all he could do. I have heard she was released; is she well?"

* There's a Playford English Country dance (late 17th C. I think) called The Indian Queen... I just had to play with that!
OOC Oh that was just delightful Anne. I rushed to youtube and was pleasantly shocked to get a hit right away on the Indian Queen. It really looks fun.

Chrissy couldn't help but get indignant again at that thought of what poor Maestra Lia went through and had a bit of fire in her eyes as she commented "Well the poor thing is still in shock at being so unjustly arrested...." but the warning in Zipoli's eyes halted her tongue as she realized that others could quite well hear her as they circled. She quickly adjusted her tone and replied, "She is recovering quite nicely and I am sure she is quite grateful for your help." It wasn't helping things either that her "Knowings" alarm kept going off and it was all she could do to stay balanced and focus on the dancing. Signore Guiseppi chivalrously interpreted her unsteadiness to mere excitement and gallantly increased the resistance on his arm to support her wobbles so that no one was the wiser. Chrissy gratefully gave him a blazing smile of thanks.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
OOC Oh that was just delightful Anne. I rushed to youtube and was pleasantly shocked to get a hit right away on the Indian Queen. It really looks fun.

Chrissy couldn't help but get indignant again at that thought of what poor Maestra Lia went through and had a bit of fire in her eyes as she commented "Well the poor thing is still in shock at being so unjustly arrested...." but the warning in Zipoli's eyes halted her tongue as she realized that others could quite well hear her as they circled. She quickly adjusted her tone and replied, "She is recovering quite nicely and I am sure she is quite grateful for your help." It wasn't helping things either that her "Knowings" alarm kept going off and it was all she could do to stay balanced and focus on the dancing. Signore Guiseppi chivalrously interpreted her unsteadiness to mere excitement and gallantly increased the resistance on his arm to support her wobbles so that no one was the wiser. Chrissy gratefully gave him a blazing smile of thanks.
[OOC: Chrissy's 'knowings' are not going off, not yet, just anxious and wary, with little thrums of adrenaline all over (prepped by that pituitary gland you mentioned in another thread ) so you are full of little false alarms. But don't worry, those knowings will rev up sometime soon. Very soon. ]

"You, of course, are right," Zipoli said softly the next time the dance allowed them to have a brief span for conversation. "Arrest on such a plainly invented charge should have never happened. We have grown accustomed to having the Armada involved in law and order as well as national defense. And they have done well. Truthfully, I have supported every stronger stance for them."

"You must understand," he continued quickly, intercepting a wary, distressed look from Chrissy, "how important they have been for us. Look at my friend, Bembo, over there. A great hero of the Polarian Wars when little more than a boy, now one of the leaders of Padova due to his role with the Council, happily married to a wonderful wife and a baby on the way. He likely would not have even survived the War, much less prospered, if not for the Armada."

"And since then? Well, they are widely known as incorruptible, un-bribable, efficient, and highly skilled. Few criminals escape their grasp, especially in the skies. We owe them much. And yet..." he shook his head. "And yet... there is the case of your friend. An isolated incident? Perhaps. But perhaps I also fear they are getting 'too big for their hats' as we Crabs like to say."

They finished the dance and applauded the musicians. Guiseppi Zipoli offered to escort Lucia back to her seat. As they promenaded there, Zipoli gave a long, sardonic glance at the pantomime Armada soldiers standing at the walls. "I see that evidently the Doge took to heart the speeches Count Tori was making in the Council. about the Doge not properly honoring these great heroes of Valencia; that the Doge was growing soft on crime and unpatriotic to boot. Ridiculous assertions, of course. But Tori is a persuasive speaker." The Crab frowned a little. "I hope that the lady was not released by the auspices of Cesare Tori. While he can be most effective in his actions, he always demands favors in return."

"The Doge demanded Dona Graziella's vote in his favor in exchange for her release," Chrissy informed him soberly.

The Crab snorted derisively. "Tori and Foscari play at the same games." Then he gave a crooked smile. "But even if the Senate passes a motion, that doesn't mean it will be approved by the Council. I have usually voted as the Doge wished, but perhaps it is time that he not always get his way."

Chrissy smiled in approval, but her smile grew abstracted as she noted something different about the 'Armada' soldiers. It seemed that almost all of them were pantomime indeed. She could have sworn that there were quite a number of the real thing amongst the disguised footmen earlier. But if so, where had they all gone?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
As Isabella returned from her latest dance, an Armada soldier stepped forth from his place at the wall. An instant later, Scarlet's heart rate began to resume its normal pulse as she realized this was one of the fake soldiers, merely a footman -- like Jack had been disguised-- playing the role expected of them.

"I was given this for you, ma dona." The footman proffered a sealed note as he bowed politely.

Scarlet took the note. "Who gave this to you?" she inquired.

"I do not know, ma dona. Another footman gave me this, but I did not recognize his voice, and with the masks we wear tonight I could not identify him." Scarlet thanked him, and he bowed in dismissal, returning to his place.

Scarlet examined the note. It was of high quality paper, but sealed with merely a plain blob of sealing wax. She broke it open and read:

"I must discuss something of Great Importance with you. Meet me in the North Antechamber adjacent to the Ballroom. G."

Scarlet frowned. The antechambers right of the ballroom were not off limits; she would be in no danger of being caught out in wrongdoing just by entering them. But, was this some sort of trap?

And who was this 'G'?