Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How do your pirates get by?

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Hola, mi amigos and amigas! Buenos dias, buenas tardes, y buenas noches! In English, Hello my friends! Good morning, good afternoon, or good evening. I'm practicing Spanish, as it's in my daily school schedule and I've been doing great in it. Oh, please take some manzana tarts, or to simplify apple tarts. I have a delightful array of meringues and small cookies for you! Please, make yourself comfortable and take some fruit teas- it was on sale in Mooshu and I have such plentiful amounts of gold, it's overwhelming to manage it all! But there's apple cinnamon blend, raspberry pomegranate, orange spice, summer peach and I believe fresh Mooshu cherry tea. Take your pick!

I have a question for you all- how do you get by in the Spiral? As pirates, you have to get your gold and shelter somewhere! I personally take jobs as cooks in the taverns- and I get paid immensely, no wonder I have so much gold. When I'm less lucky, I hate to admit but I pickpocket at times, if I'm low on gold of course. On the least lucky days, my ship isn't nearby and I'm in the middle of somewhere, I just make a makeshift bed till morning and wait out the morning on it. When I'm luckier, I just stay in my house, but on those days I find a peaceful place, like Mooshu, usually Subata, and I just rest. In fact it's more enjoyable than being home sometimes!

So, what do you do for Spiral survival?

Ciao!

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Aug 29, 2013 wrote:
Hola, mi amigos and amigas! Buenos dias, buenas tardes, y buenas noches! In English, Hello my friends! Good morning, good afternoon, or good evening. I'm practicing Spanish, as it's in my daily school schedule and I've been doing great in it. Oh, please take some manzana tarts, or to simplify apple tarts. I have a delightful array of meringues and small cookies for you! Please, make yourself comfortable and take some fruit teas- it was on sale in Mooshu and I have such plentiful amounts of gold, it's overwhelming to manage it all! But there's apple cinnamon blend, raspberry pomegranate, orange spice, summer peach and I believe fresh Mooshu cherry tea. Take your pick!

I have a question for you all- how do you get by in the Spiral? As pirates, you have to get your gold and shelter somewhere! I personally take jobs as cooks in the taverns- and I get paid immensely, no wonder I have so much gold. When I'm less lucky, I hate to admit but I pickpocket at times, if I'm low on gold of course. On the least lucky days, my ship isn't nearby and I'm in the middle of somewhere, I just make a makeshift bed till morning and wait out the morning on it. When I'm luckier, I just stay in my house, but on those days I find a peaceful place, like Mooshu, usually Subata, and I just rest. In fact it's more enjoyable than being home sometimes!

So, what do you do for Spiral survival?

Ciao!
I get along quite well with my current line of work which is: thievery from wealthy citizens in places like puerto mico, Valencia, marlybone, mooshu, and aquila. I also take jobs as a bounty hunter which pays handsomely ( I know, i am devious ) and i take part time jobs at the rose and dagger resort and hotel ( owned by our own royal friend Richard Ashthorn ). As for housing I will stay in his Rake's lagoon or his ship. If I can't stay there I stay in a hotel or friends house or even a helpful water mole tribe ( no troggies ) well I guess that is all about my survival.

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
We get by through the hunting of dastardly pirates and taking odd jobs around the Spiral. And trust me, these jobs get ODD. One time I had to help find the parts to a drama machine in Aquila that ended....well, that's another story for another time. And if we're really up for it, we go treasure hunting deep in the worlds of the Spiral.

Monkey King: Yeah, because the last treasure hunt went so well. Not naming names...Ratbeard.
Ratbeard: I told ye, I didn't know there were ancient ghosties down there. We did get the gold!
Catbeard: Which turned out to be fool's gold. Pyrite, in essence. Great job, Ratbeard.
Ratbeard: Why I oughta...
Bonnie Anne: Shut up you two! We've got a letter from Tierra Primata Skyway. It looks urgent.
Dead Mike: Monquista? I hate Monquista...

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Um, so the question is how do Scarlet and her little sister Jenny get by in the spiral? As I've stated previously, Scarlet and Jenny are not quit as honourable as other certain pirates (Emma, Anne, Chrissy...) but they do try to be mostly honourable pirates.

However they do get by in the spiral through carrying out, acts of piracy. To be clear, they don't steal from anybody who would notice their gold or hard earned supplies disapearing. This means that Scarlet and Jenny don't steal from common villagers, orphans, lower class workers or even other hard by pirates. No, Scarlet and Jenny only steal from wealthy merchants, traders, shop owners or wealthy pirates who have most likely gotten their treasures through dishonourable methods.

Ensign
Jan 22, 2011
Well, my pirates money making merely consists of a few things.
A-Treasure hunting. Because we all know it pays handsomely to those who collect certain treasures.
B-Turning in criminals. As much as my pirate is a thief and brigand. He likes to do a little justice. Knock out the competition too, of course.
My pirates living space. Is well anywhere. On his ship. a pagoda. a tea house cellar. his home in his own privately owned island in Valencia. Wherever its possible to make shelter. My pirate has definitely been there.
Merciless Kenneth, lvl 59 swashbuckler

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Due to my HUGE crew, (over 80 companions) and fleet of ships, I can send out squads for smuggling missions or private armies whenever I have a free boat or two. I do some mercenary work from time to time, which pays handsomely, but one of my crew's major gold grinder is our work with the marleyboneans. even though I am in Her Majesty's Secret Service, I still uphold my position as Vice-Admiral, and my Flagship, The Vigilant Falcon, is always on the prowl after armada scum. I also have my crew members helping with the war effort, for Ratbeard, Handsome Dan, Private Mills, Lieutenant Springer, Goronado, Exter, Catbeard, Sergeant Shepard and Sergeant Sanders all have reached high enough ranks to captain their own Vessels. That alone totals up to more than twice the income of the average Admiral makes in a month within one day! The crew pools 50% of their earned cash every day, while keeping the other 50% for their own personal purchases. the pooled cash goes towards ship repairs, food expenses, furniture, training equipment, etc.
So, when it comes down to it, my crew is never really in financial distress, so if this is the O.B.B.'s (Order of the Blazing Blade) version of getting by, then I figure that we're doing quite well.

Fearless Ryan Holystone
lv 65

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Bob the Musketeer furtively poked his head around the corner. The coast looked clear - also the path to the wooden chest that lay unattended in the corner next to where the Dos Amigos y Uno were performing. Everyone in the cantina looked busy. Mac Draw was sipping his cup of Yum. The Mustang Toreador was chatting with his friend. The barkeep was directing traffic to where the wedding would soon be held in the back room. Thank goodness the cake had survived the battle with the banditoads. Bob put his hands in his pockets and began walking nonchalantly towards the chest.

"Hola, amigo in training!" the musicians greeted Bob.

"Um, hey," he responded cleverly.

Bonnie Anne turned to Sarah Steele and Ratbeard. "Hopeless."

"Why does we foller him again?" Ratbeard asked for the two millionth time.

"Because without him you'd be volcano fodder," Sarah tartly shot back. "If he's good enough for Boochbeard and Gandry, he's good enough for me."

Meanwhile, Bob had claimed the pittance from the forlorn chest. They had to be a better of making expenses. Food, shot, all the other needs running a ship entailed cost major gold. Maybe one day there might be a windfall from somewhere. But it just didn't feel right taking rewards from the poor creatures the crew helped along the way on their quest to find the map pieces. So he politely refused all offers. Sometimes they had to accept a gift to save face on the giver's behalf, then they turned around and donated it all to a local charity. There was just so much need out in the spiral.

"Yum's on me, and nobody accepts a freebie," Bob commanded the crew, looking directly at Ratbeard. Then he sauntered up to the barkeep to order a pitcher of Yum.

"Hopeless, but he's ours," Bonnie Anne stated, self satisfied.

"Yeah, but if someone offers me a piece of cake, I'm eatin it."

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
I hate to say it but I get gold by stealing mooshu house items from Avery then selling them at bazzar.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
Teach is the name hitman is the game. mind you i must decline on the offer seeing idk what half that stuff is...and wondering how you managed to...get all that eludes me atm but none the less when i am not looting cargo and rival pirate ships stranding them in the skyways were ever that may be. i am a hitman. so if you need someones fate string to be cut prematurely...you come see me, villa or s. m. arson. i hang around mainly were ever i happen to be. i am a member of the rat pack so i do hang around skull island quite a bit making sure the rats stop fighting with themselves and try to well come back into the power they once had in the skyways. if i ever need a break i sit back at my fort(musketeer castle thing...) or chill at the at a old witchdoctors
house i...aaa..anyway hope to see you on the skyways...well maybe not seeing if i just so happen to be low on supplys....or someone hired me to you know then you may not want to meet me hehehe.

Corrupt Edward Teach

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
devereaux21 on Aug 30, 2013 wrote:
Teach is the name hitman is the game. mind you i must decline on the offer seeing idk what half that stuff is...and wondering how you managed to...get all that eludes me atm but none the less when i am not looting cargo and rival pirate ships stranding them in the skyways were ever that may be. i am a hitman. so if you need someones fate string to be cut prematurely...you come see me, villa or s. m. arson. i hang around mainly were ever i happen to be. i am a member of the rat pack so i do hang around skull island quite a bit making sure the rats stop fighting with themselves and try to well come back into the power they once had in the skyways. if i ever need a break i sit back at my fort(musketeer castle thing...) or chill at the at a old witchdoctors
house i...aaa..anyway hope to see you on the skyways...well maybe not seeing if i just so happen to be low on supplys....or someone hired me to you know then you may not want to meet me hehehe.

Corrupt Edward Teach
- Ola senjora! Um ... did I say that right? I'm getting some help from El toro here.-Ashley points at a bull sitting next to her and shrugs.- Trying to get my Spanish accent.
Anyway, I just returned from a little mission...although the crew didn't seem to like the jog around Ashen roads...- Ashley takes a glimpse at Scratch, Monkey king and Ratbeard,who was rubbing his one good leg.
-You got that right,- he whispers. The girl stretches to take a cookie, but touches an empty plate.
-Catbeard! Did you have to eat all of the cookies?- frowns Sarah.
- Sorry,- says Catbeard and swallows the last chunk.
- It's a good thing I'm expecting a shift of pickled herring today,- says Ashley with a smile.- Right. Short answer for your question- helping people around the Spiral. They usually repay me with gold, so ... yeah helping those in need.

Fair Ashley Holystone

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Hola, Emma! Good to see that you are taking up one of my favorite Latin Languages. It's always useful to be able to speak the native tongue of someone else...

So, how do I get by? Well, I can't say that I always take care of myself, because rather than my own health being my main priority, knowledge is. Most of the time I read first, then I eat. As of what I do eat, I usually just buy an apple from a fruit vendor and last the day on that, although sometimes to be honest I may not eat for several days...

A few years ago I bought a Skull Island Galleon, named The Golden Gryphon, and she's definitely endured a lot. I'm an honest pirate, and I get all of my necessities from buying them (using gold that my team and I had salvaged from the armada), and I live comfortably in my Hideout in the skies of Valencia when I'm not exploring The Spiral's libraries. My Hideout's interior is like the Castaway's Refuge, only instead of two upper floors there's only one, and on the single upper floor there are four bedrooms. To be honest, I'm kind of glad that most of the time I'm away from home, because when I see those three other empty rooms I get a little sad in thinking why the original Golden Gryphon Crew split up in the first place, and how my team is doing in the different corners of The Spiral. But let's not get too much into my personal emotions, shall we? If I think too much about the past, I get a little teary. Don't tell anybody I said that.

So, as you've just read, my life is a little bit on the boring side. However, I do have a few friends (Emma) that make my life interesting (Anne) and who seem to drag me into their troubles (Warwick), but I'm happy that I can help and I'm glad that I get to make a difference in other people's lives.

However, I do have a little bit of a guilty pleasure. It seems sometimes in the dead middle of the night, I find myself on an armada ship, my fingers remarkably close to the gold in that chest over there...

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Your taking Spanish too! well you can speak it better then me senora emma, my job would be a yum smuggler, I smuggle yum.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Being a traveler before going into piracy, I have a tendency to return to some of my previous methods to get by in the Spiral.

1) I take an instrument and play by on a street corner in places like the Isle of Dogs, Florenzia, Nova Aquilla And any city with a large number of folk.You remember Fox, That dreary night in the Admiral Benbow when those musicians that played that old Albion song? I was the one on the flute and got quite a pretty penny

2) Being a pack-rat, I find Relic Hunting a very lucrative trade. Not only do I get paid handsomely for the object I was retrieving, but my eye always catches an interesting trinket or relic that keep for myself. Being a previous appraiser of relics once, I know a valuable object when I see one. After I finnish my job, I sell the objects I found and sometimes keep a few for my collection.

3) Doing favors for certain people. This is by far the strangest of my trades and even I don't fully understand it. I find a person, or rather, he finds me, with a particular problem and I utilize my magcks to help them out in exchange for gold occasionally, but usually for something in return like helping me into a certain vault or just giving me a place to spend the night. Its not the most reliable way to get by and often gets me in uncomfortable situations, but it gets me by nonetheless.

Sincerely,

Impish Omar Underwood

Ensign
Jun 18, 2013
Tim Walker once again stands on the piers of Skull Island, watching as his crew unloads the crates and other items that they had pilfered from Moosho. Tso ships and Inoshishi ships made for profitable targets and goods from Moosho fetched a high price in the ports of Skull Island. Monquista was no longer a viable place to sell stolen goods now that Gortez and the resistance was busy elsewhere. Valencia provided too many opportunities for trouble, Tim was not one to resist sinking an Armada ship for spite. That did leave Cool Ranch, but after spending months going back and forth between that dusty place he was ready to take a long vacation.

The pirating trade was lucrative enough for him and his crew, despite a few grumbles from certain crewmen as he didn't bother stealing from common people. They were not a challenge, the Imperials, the Armada, and bandits, they were a challenge and the gold stolen from them made it more worthwhile in his eyes. And the gold he earned from the treasures he was now bringing from Moosho was even more lucrative, especially when something caught Avery's eye. The old pirate was a stingy haggler, but Tim walked away with a good heavy purse of gold each time.

"Pirating, the honest way to earn a living." He said to himself as he put away the earned coin into a vault that only he had access to. It was exactly that, honest, he honestly stole from others and sold it without a qualm. Cannot get more honest, with himself at least, than that.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
zuto4011a on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Your taking Spanish too! well you can speak it better then me senora emma, my job would be a yum smuggler, I smuggle yum.
My guess (with my very limited Spanish) that our Emma would be a seniorita .

Captain
May 16, 2011
How does Hank survive in the spiral? What an interesting question.

Hank likes to do most of his work undercover. And he does a whole lot of things to survive. That might be raiding enemy encampments, helping people with difficult problems,(with very little pay) participating in fighting tournaments..........Even robbing when he's desperate enough. He gets payed quickly by doing jobs in the Isle of Dogs sewers. Some people there like him so much that he is payed for just walking into The Snail and Newt Tavern. When he's not doing important tasks, though, he relaxes in his grotto home.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
My pirate usually gets by having companion clones when she is asleep Gracie Conrad made them .Then she goes to Valencia and pick up Valencian yum to Give to Chrissy the blesser .Finally she is a explorer for her job and she makes gold .Also her shelter is a half of the day thing.see you in the spiral

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
How do I, Slick Michael Radcliffe, get by in the Spiral? Well for starters, I am a swordsmith. I make some of the finest swords in the spiral. My crew, now being massive, I can rent out my sniper team for special events as concealed guards. Or even deploy my ninja squad to assassinate my enemies. My favorite thing to do though is antique appraising. Back on Earth, where I came from, I collected antiques and would research and appraise them. It is a fun little hobby for me and I like doing it. My castle is also a hiding place for pirates wanted by the Armada. The sheer number of cannons surrounding it make it a perfect place to hide. I guess that's it.

Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
I don't need to survive I got the krokotopian treasury to fall back on (not right now because Krokotopia is still in ruin from the armada attack). I live in an armada ship in my resort (the Dagger and Rose is opening soon). If I can't get money from the treasury then I take odd jobs.
Ratbeard: Yeah! Like that one time we had to crush monquistans skulls!
Monkey King: Ah that was a fun day ...
Me: I don't remember that.
Subodai: That's because you were at a meeting with the fang.
Me: Oh yeah ... Wait why didn't you consult with me?
Ratbeard: Uh... x tries to do mind trick x
Me: That never works on me. It only works on Griffin.

Captain
May 02, 2009
I get by as a Mercenary. I help anyone and anything (as long as they can pay) I take up jobs here and there, beat up some corrupt governors now and again. Sometimes I even help legendary heroes. But I also take up jobs from the Spiral Geographic Society. I mainly work as a scavenger and navigator for them (sense I have a reputation for liking Danger ) I take up refuse in a house that was built shipwreck by shipwreck right next to a hollow (and lightly active) volcano. Its a lot of fun there, and recently I bought a little fort in Valencia. It has a lot of character to it. Well, that's how my pirate gets by in the spiral.

Ruthless Luke Richardson
Trojan Warrior

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
The Undead Obeah on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
Being a traveler before going into piracy, I have a tendency to return to some of my previous methods to get by in the Spiral.

1) I take an instrument and play by on a street corner in places like the Isle of Dogs, Florenzia, Nova Aquilla And any city with a large number of folk.You remember Fox, That dreary night in the Admiral Benbow when those musicians that played that old Albion song? I was the one on the flute and got quite a pretty penny

2) Being a pack-rat, I find Relic Hunting a very lucrative trade. Not only do I get paid handsomely for the object I was retrieving, but my eye always catches an interesting trinket or relic that keep for myself. Being a previous appraiser of relics once, I know a valuable object when I see one. After I finnish my job, I sell the objects I found and sometimes keep a few for my collection.

3) Doing favors for certain people. This is by far the strangest of my trades and even I don't fully understand it. I find a person, or rather, he finds me, with a particular problem and I utilize my magcks to help them out in exchange for gold occasionally, but usually for something in return like helping me into a certain vault or just giving me a place to spend the night. Its not the most reliable way to get by and often gets me in uncomfortable situations, but it gets me by nonetheless.

Sincerely,

Impish Omar Underwood
i tried number one... didn't end well

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Silver joseph vane has many way's of getting his moneys
First off he does ocasionally gamble every so often but he's not to good at it.
secondly his better job bounty hunting he basically is a very good bounty hunter and he would hunt you down at any cost's if your one of the people he's hunting....so be careful...bwahahahahaha also if you want to hire him to get a certain someone to hunt...sure do so just remember the person you wanted him to hunt may or may not be alive afterwords incase if you wanted the person alive instead of dead but if you want him alive he might keep him alive...just with a limb or two gone and barely alive
he also has a job at the black spot as a chef and bartender if i was a food critic his cooking would be 7/10 but i dont critic food
his final job is shipping no i dont mean shipping as in making two people fall in love for no reason what so ever his shipping is delievering tf2 hats,weapons and misc. and other stuff besides that.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Well, I am notorious for my stealth ability, and being able to disappear at a moments notice. I usually sneak into people's houses at night, take just enough food to get by and not be noticed, and hide out in my old house in MooShu.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
Griffen Deverux on Aug 29, 2013 wrote:
I get along quite well with my current line of work which is: thievery from wealthy citizens in places like puerto mico, Valencia, marlybone, mooshu, and aquila. I also take jobs as a bounty hunter which pays handsomely ( I know, i am devious ) and i take part time jobs at the rose and dagger resort and hotel ( owned by our own royal friend Richard Ashthorn ). As for housing I will stay in his Rake's lagoon or his ship. If I can't stay there I stay in a hotel or friends house or even a helpful water mole tribe ( no troggies ) well I guess that is all about my survival.
You better stay away from my Unicorns.