Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion auto-target?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
Hi, I notice that if a mob that my companion has targeted is killed, they do nothing that round. I would like to see my companion auto-target the next nearest mob if the one they are targeting is killed. Is this possible?
Thanks.

Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
Community Leader
Grintch on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
Not one person thinks this is a good idea?
It has been brought up before here. Also, I talked about it in episode 11 of my podcast. In short, I would like to see them add this feature. It changes the dynamic and strategies of the game a bit, but I think it does so in a compelling way that feels a bit less wasteful. Even if they only added it as an epic as was suggested by Max, I'd be fine with that.

However, what they may end up doing instead is give us the ability to select the order in which actions are carried out by the crew. That would also add a deeper layer to the strategy and help avoid some wasted turns.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
It has been brought up before here. Also, I talked about it in episode 11 of my podcast. In short, I would like to see them add this feature. It changes the dynamic and strategies of the game a bit, but I think it does so in a compelling way that feels a bit less wasteful. Even if they only added it as an epic as was suggested by Max, I'd be fine with that.

However, what they may end up doing instead is give us the ability to select the order in which actions are carried out by the crew. That would also add a deeper layer to the strategy and help avoid some wasted turns.
Thanks for responding. I could support any one of those options if it saved wasted turns.

Community Leader
Interesting idea.
It would take quite a bit from the strategy of the game however IMO.

What your referring to is a consideration I take each and everytime I make a move in the game. It plays a role in dictating my attack strategy.

Take this away and we wont need strategy, might as well have an "Auto-fight" button.

Am I the only one that enjoys this slice of game play strategy?

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Community Leader
Dr Zeppers on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
Interesting idea.
It would take quite a bit from the strategy of the game however IMO.

What your referring to is a consideration I take each and everytime I make a move in the game. It plays a role in dictating my attack strategy.

Take this away and we wont need strategy, might as well have an "Auto-fight" button.

Am I the only one that enjoys this slice of game play strategy?
I don't think it removes strategy as much as alters it. If anything, it better enables you to plan your moves out. Often times, strategy can be totally undone by a miss but also undone by too many hits. One more relentless lands than you'd though and Bonnie Anne doesn't get to double tap. I don't think this should be made inherent but it would be nice as an option on some crew members, just like all the other epics are. Especially if we get to decide what order they take their turn in, you could have certain crew be clean up batters, as it were.

I'm all for adding complexity to the strategy, but I want it to be fun complexity. I'm on the fence as to which this aspect of the current system is. When you work it out perfectly, it's great. When there's a hitch, it's frustrating. I don't think combat is broken as it is, by any means, but I like it when games give you more options to customize your strategy. The more tools I have, the more I can build!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I think it does alter the game dynami, making tactical decisions much easier. Everybody hit A, and then if he's dead then hit B, and if we're lucky, hit C. Currently, you have to make some careful choices - is Subadei going to hit, and if so, will it be enough? If A survives Subadei's blow, is there a good chance he will be whacked on his turn by one of my crew with first strike?

Perhaps KI could add a new epic feat at some point where crew with that feat could be given a primary and secondary target.

-Michael

Ensign
Dec 28, 2012
Indigo Ring on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
I think it does alter the game dynami, making tactical decisions much easier. Everybody hit A, and then if he's dead then hit B, and if we're lucky, hit C. Currently, you have to make some careful choices - is Subadei going to hit, and if so, will it be enough? If A survives Subadei's blow, is there a good chance he will be whacked on his turn by one of my crew with first strike?

Perhaps KI could add a new epic feat at some point where crew with that feat could be given a primary and secondary target.

-Michael
I think this sums up the problem. If companions could automatically select another target, it would be simple to put them all on one each turn, knowing that no attacks would be wasted. Then again, does it matter to me if other people do this in their PvE battles? Nope.

I'd rather see the ability to re-order companions and a bit less variation in attack values. I know there has to be some, but regularly seeing attacks go for half the damage of the previous one is invigorating. In my opinion that makes it harder to arrange combat, not missed attack chances.

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Greatbob1 on Jan 30, 2013 wrote:
I think this sums up the problem. If companions could automatically select another target, it would be simple to put them all on one each turn, knowing that no attacks would be wasted. Then again, does it matter to me if other people do this in their PvE battles? Nope.

I'd rather see the ability to re-order companions and a bit less variation in attack values. I know there has to be some, but regularly seeing attacks go for half the damage of the previous one is invigorating. In my opinion that makes it harder to arrange combat, not missed attack chances.
I have to agree with this here. It will be used for mindlessly piling on one mob per turn. Adults/children doesn't matter we always take the easy way and this would be it. It would also sort of devalue certain epics like double tap. Blade storm I could see being changed to say a three square move where if the companions kills the target they can move three squares to use blade storm. Right now that skill seems even more situational than double tap.

The biggest change they can implement to provide better strategy and choice is making the companion system and who you have out pure choice.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Greatbob1 on Jan 30, 2013 wrote:

I think you are all missing the point of having a strategy. It makes you think and determine, who does what damage, will they possibly miss, how many do you put on each target, etc. It keeps the game strategic and fun. What would be the point if everything would just be set to automatic? why even play the game then? It is the choices we make and the strategies we chose that make the difference in the game.

Community Leader
Indigo Ring on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:

-Michael
I think michael makes an excellent point as far as how this would effect attack strategy, and result in a negative impact on the game. It would nullify the usefullness of other epic talents as well.

I also like the idea of the possible future epic talent, as long as it was limited in distribution, it could be easily overdone and again have a negative impact on the game.

I dont see any need to make every battle in the game an "epic" battle allowing us to select companions. That would just be giving players an easy out. It would totally deflate the companion system allowing players to focus solely on certain companions, and not their entire "team". The companion system as is makes every (non-epic) battle a surprise, and a strategy twist. Its part of what keeps me interested, especially in some of the more grindy parts of the game. Its very much part of what keeps the game fun battle after battle.

As it is leveling, obtaining, and training of companions is all part of the games strategy. Allowing us to focus on just the few companions we want by allowing us to select them each battle, eliminates those facets of the game play strategy. Not only do I have strategies in how to use my companions in battle, because of how they are used in battle, I strategize as to how/when I obtain them (at optimum level).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV