Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Cool Ranch is too hard!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 06, 2010
I love Pirate101, but when I reached Cool Ranch, I get defeated all the time! If you could change the difficulty level on ships and enemies, it would make the game more fun for everyone.

Community Leader
I had this problem when I first got to Cool Ranch as well. Then I realized that I was lvl 17 and fighting mobs that were lvl 22-23 and getting handily defeated. If, once you first get to Cool Ranch, you follow the main story line where you rescue the chicken man while looking for Pollo's map piece, you gain 3 levels fairly quickly (I got from 17-20 in about 3 or 3.5 hours) and then you're in a much better position to face the mobs for the sidequests!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Jul 31, 2011
Question; what if you focus ONLY on Storyline quests? Would it be harder or easier for me? Right now I'm level thirteen in Monquista. I passed Donkey Hato. I am searching for Gold Monkey Paw i forgot name.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
batmandance12 on Nov 4, 2012 wrote:
I love Pirate101, but when I reached Cool Ranch, I get defeated all the time! If you could change the difficulty level on ships and enemies, it would make the game more fun for everyone.
Try to stick to the main quest line, and a few simple side quests to help get leveled up. I think parts of Cool Ranch were meant to be done in increments, like the outlaws you capture for Rooster Cogburn. Some of those bad guys are level 30/31, and are very difficult early on in Cool Ranch.

I just plod along and put the harder quests aside until I know I'm ready for them. It makes the play much more fun than getting my fanny handed on a platter when I feel I'm under leveled.

Remember: Your first pirate will be making all the mistakes in the game. Other pirates you make/play will have an easier time, because you'll know what to expect and can strategize better.

Community Leader
suncaster72 on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
Question; what if you focus ONLY on Storyline quests? Would it be harder or easier for me? Right now I'm level thirteen in Monquista. I passed Donkey Hato. I am searching for Gold Monkey Paw i forgot name.
Harder is some ways, easier in others. If you focus on the main storyline, you don't get as many companions, gold, xp, trainging points, etc . . . but you do level faster. I find, given some trial and error, that the best strategy once you get to Monquista at least, is to focus on the main story, then, before you start on the next major setpiece, go back and do all the side quests. In this fashion, you get all the rewards, but the sidequests are faster and easier because you have the next ship and you are stronger. Then, you move onto the next chapter with all the rewards from the previous chapter. This has worked for me.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!