Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I don't understand Walk in Shadows

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
It says it increases back stab damage, but when am I doing back stab damage? Is it only when I use the Back Stab power? Do I have to stand in a specific place? Does it work on Assasin's Strike? Does it work on its own without a power selected so long as I am in a certain position?

I've played all the way to level 50 without figuring this out. Please help.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I believe I know.

All three powers related to back stab; Sneak Attack, Back Stab, and Assassin's Strike, are influenced by hide in the shadows.

At the current time, at level 28, my average sneak attack and back stab do about 60-65 damage per hit, for a total of about 120-140 damage. But after using hide, each hit from Sneak attack and Back stab does about 90-100 damage, for a total of about 200-220 damage.

Now, I have never officially got to try Assassin's Strike yet, since I am nowhere near the required level, but, I am assuming with a fair amount of certainty that Assassin's Strike will benefit from a moderate damage increase also, if used once hidden.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Shining Fantasia is correct.

Hiding in shadows and Walk in Darkness increases only the attack cards of Sneak Attack, Backstab with Bleeding, and Assassins strike.

You do not have to stand anywhere in particular and it does not increase regular attacks.

Hope this helps!

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
Ensign
Mar 04, 2011
are there actions that disable the boost? does it cancel if you move or do other actions while the boost is active?

Developer
Walk in Shadows has hopefully become much simpler to use and understand:

It will double the damage of ANY attack you launch while hidden.

While you are hidden, you cannot be directly targeted, but you can still be caught inside area-of-effect attacks.

The hidden effect ends when (a) you attack, (b) you take damage, or (c) after the duration expires normally.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
Ratbeard on Dec 6, 2012 wrote:

While you are hidden, you cannot be directly targeted, but you can still be caught inside area-of-effect attacks.

The hidden effect ends when (a) you attack, (b) you take damage, or (c) after the duration expires normally.
I have also lost the hidden effect when a companion casts a buff spell and I am in its range.

Community Leader

What about healing and buffs like Rouse, Discipline, and Call to Arms? Will using non-attack powers like those end the hidden effect too? Or could I hide, heal myself, and then launch an attack for double damage before it wears off?

And does the hidden attack have to be a melee attack, or will it work with ranged weapons or a Mojo Blast too?

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009

Ratbeard,

Does (a) refer to all attacks?

I quite often can remain hidden (at least visually, maybe not bonus damage application) after casting the swashbuckler poision spells. It seems only melee attacks by the swashbuckler ends the hidden effect.