Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion Management

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
Hi. I don't understand how we are supposed to keep up training all of our Companions? I am at lvl 18 now and i have 11 Companions! I can't seem to earn enough Gold to buy Comp Training points for all of them! My weaker Comps keep showing up in battles, and this is a real problem! It would be nice to delete, or at least disable the weaker ones! I am worried that later in the game, the weaker companions will really be a problem! Any thoughts on this please reply. Thank you!

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
sender511 on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
Hi. I don't understand how we are supposed to keep up training all of our Companions? I am at lvl 18 now and i have 11 Companions! I can't seem to earn enough Gold to buy Comp Training points for all of them! My weaker Comps keep showing up in battles, and this is a real problem! It would be nice to delete, or at least disable the weaker ones! I am worried that later in the game, the weaker companions will really be a problem! Any thoughts on this please reply. Thank you!
Join the long and ever growing list of upset Pirate101 players who want to drop the companions they don't want and drop the cards from their decks that they don't want. Without these two options the enjoyability of the game plummets quite a bit and makes players uninterested if new worlds come out as they simply don't want to put up with so many useless cards and companions and few things come up as wanted.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
A tip (credit to Darthjt):

Do not level your companions right away. You'll have to spend up to 4 companion points just to keep your first mate leveled up as much as you.

Wait until a single point can level up a companion at least 1 level. When you get to the point where you have so many companions, wait until a single point can level your companion 2 levels. That way you'll slowly build up your companion points over levels, and with quests that give companion points as rewards.

I have quite a few companions as well, but so far, at level 16, still have 10+ companion points at any given time.

I thought about this too, it is true that waiting to spend companion points makes your companions drop behind in levels, 3-4 levels. But I think it is better to have all companions 2-4 levels behind you with plenty of companion points to spend to level them up, than to have 1-3 companions at very high level with no companion points left and the remaining companions 5+ levels behind you.

Quests give quite a good amount of gold as reward. At level 18, buying companion points is expensive, so I understand. Even if you do not want to spend your gold you earn from quests, farming gold is a good idea. Each fight in Monquista earns you almost 100 gold per fight, and the random fights can go very quick.

I am very thankful that you can buy companion points, and I am very greatful to KI for adding that feature. Their very reason for doing so was to prevent someone from spending all the points, and then having a very bad time playing the game because they did something that they could not have reversed.

This is exactly what I had done back in Alpha. Before Darthjt found a good 'strategy' for companion leveling. I spent every single one of my points on my first mate, and ALL my other companions fell behind 5+ levels. Bonnie Anne was STILL at level 2. Needless to say, since there was no way to purchase outside points, I had a very bad time playing the alpha at level 10++.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Oh, believe me, I understand your frustration.

One huge tip regarding companions. Don't use your tomes until you can level them up at least 1 level, and if you hold out a bit more, you can level them up 2-4 levels.

Bosses are generally going to give the most gold, as well as better gear, and the chance at getting a new pet.

Start writing down names & places of bosses to farm. I guarantee you there are places in Cool Ranch that provide LOTS of gold to purchase tomes.

There are some companions in the game that you have to get because it's part of the main quest line. A suggestion would be to not do the side quest companions for a while. Hold off on doing these until you are a much higher level and are able to get more gold. That's what I did, and I was able to take care of my better companions (main quest line), and was able to complete the side quests to get my (not so great) companions at level 50.

Hope this helps!

Community Leader
This is a major part of the game. Allowing folks to delete companions would actually "break" it as I see things. Its a learning curve with the game. If players can keep what companions they want, and ditch the ones they dont want, then you will have a severly easy and unbalanced game. It would truly make the game beyond a doubt a game where the pirate with the most 'real' gold wins and take away part of the most challenging parts of the game as well.

Tip: Do not train your companions until you have to. Save your companion training tomes/points. Only use one when it will raise your companion an full level. If you can wait longer, you can get even more mileage out of your companion training tomes.

I keep my companions 3 levels below me, when I level giving me 4 levels above them, I train each of them a full level using a single training tome/point each.

Farm bosses for gold, sink ships for gold (my favorite way), keep stocked up on training points/tomes when you can (up to 10), as the price of these keeps going up.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
I have dont the Gortez mission 2 times and I have yet to get the monkey companion. My boyfriend was in there with me and fought as much as i did and he received it and I did not!! o.o I wonder how i can get this fixed? I already contacted Support and havent heard anything from them.

Administrator
Corbinslove1 on Oct 26, 2012 wrote:
I have dont the Gortez mission 2 times and I have yet to get the monkey companion. My boyfriend was in there with me and fought as much as i did and he received it and I did not!! o.o I wonder how i can get this fixed? I already contacted Support and havent heard anything from them.
Sometimes only certain classes will receive a companion reward from completing a quest. What class is your boyfriend and what class is your character?

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Oct 09, 2011
Original Final Fantasy Tactics was such a great and now nostalgic game. One of the main reasons was because you could pick and choose the units for battle.

I will not directly compare the two games here because they are not on the same scale but because of the type of battles it can be related.

At least the harder battles allow this type of play.

Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
save your points up, on my privateer i have 20+ and my companions are only 1-2 levels behind me.
wait until they can level twice, it might be harder early on, but its better in the long run!
Generous Megan Nightingale 11 Privateer

Community Leader
docangel on Oct 26, 2012 wrote:
Original Final Fantasy Tactics was such a great and now nostalgic game. One of the main reasons was because you could pick and choose the units for battle.

I will not directly compare the two games here because they are not on the same scale but because of the type of battles it can be related.

At least the harder battles allow this type of play.
I think of not being able to choose your companions as Pirate 101's version of FFT judge system: putting restrictions on combat forces you to play things a bit differently each time and makes sure you aren't just repeating the same working strategy ad infinitum.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Jun 14, 2012
I'm level 46 (Stuck on stormzilla but not to bad as i'm doing side quests now) and I understand what you all say, but the thing is it isn't to bad since all my companions except for muskeeters and my Subodai (lv 45 that's why side quests- for companion points) I'm a Swashbuckler and anyway my worst companion is that crazy monquistador because he already does around 100 damage so he doesn't need to be leveled up for healthe because he's ranged. So since I have 14 companions at the bottom it is a 1% chance of coming in so I put him there so it's unlikely he'll come in, but even so it's good to have another ranged with you in a battle. Off topic in my Stormzilla fight it's funny when i'm like 40 ft. and so is Stormzilla and here is my armadillo pet and he's like 20 ft. tall since he isn't a companion he isn't in the suit with you, yet he still can come into battle with you so they had to make him big, compared to you.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Companions are the greatest addition to this game! They keep all battles different and fun, no battle will be exactly the same.

So, here are my tips for Companion Management:

1. Do not get side quests companions until you reach max level, this will help you greatly manage the mandatory companions!

2. Wait till you are 5 levels above them before you train them, then they will gain 2 levels for 1 training point. For those that really do not help, wait for them to be 9 levels below you to train them.

3. Make sure you keep your companions in a good order of which you would like to have in battle with you, from most likely to least likely!

4. If you keep getting a companion you dont want, let them become a ghost and do not revive them. They cant join your battles if they are not conscious.

5. If you are having a difficult time with a quest, if it is not main line, do more main line and level up, then go back to it after you are a higher level and you have trained your companions up more.

6. If it is a main line quest, try and get help, if you cant, then spend a couple training points on your top companions, but don't go overboard. Also, watch carefully whom you are facing and strategize, melee attacking ranged and ranged attacking melee.

These are the best tips I can give you and anyone can use these tips to get by. There are people that have gone through most of the game without training a single companion, so it can be done!

Community Leader
My current strategy (I have switched up since my prior post) is to actually wait until my companions are 9 levels below my pirate! Occasionally I break that strategy for a single companion to get them promoted quicker as well. Yes, this can be a bit challenging at times, but if you can endure it, the dividends are awesome.

1. Companions train 3 levels with 1 tome when your pirate is 9 levels ahead.
2. Training tomes start to pile up, so you no longer have to purchase any.
3. Gold stacks up since you do not have to buy any training tomes.

My last 2 pirates I purchased a Marleybone galleon at level 18 because I was already max gold!!!
(I had a high level friend I could port to)

My first pirate that did this got to level 50, and had 128 training tomes saved to further train his companions.
I only had to buy 12 tomes total at that point to get ALL my companions to level 50.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 28, 2012
Many of the tips in this thread can't be called Companion Management; training tome management would be more accurate. Finding different ways to be thrifty with training tomes to the point where we blatantly put ourselves at a disadvantage just to save that 1 training tome.

What's the point of KI spending the time to add companions we can get by doing sidequests if finishing them would mean burdening ourselves for the rest of the game? Even if we get them after we hit level 50, we still have to level them up once the expansion eventually happens, so why bother getting them at all? Why add the option of crown companions at all if it would be counterproductive to buy one? Seems a bit redundant, no?

Basically, and I think I've said this in another thread, that players shouldn't be punished for having a large crew, which is what the current system does, especially if we're be forced to train/fight with companions we didn't want in the first place. Unless that was the goal of KI all along which I sincerely hope wasn't.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I understand what is being said. Barkadat3p mentions it very clearly.

But, I do like the randomness that comes with entering fights. It is like playing an itunes music libraby on random, where the highest played songs tend to be on the top of list.

I like what Ratbeard had said about it. It is completely optional to train companions, it is like a cherry on top. That way you never enter a fight with "bad" companions if you actually work on leveling your crew.