Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Suggestions for KI-- Bringing in new Players

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I appreciate Mew & RB reaching out to players, in hopes of them helping to recruit/encourage players to join P101-- I tuly do! It comes from wanting to bring us more. Not only more, but much more in both the quality & quantity departments. While I do believe there's a lot that players can do to help in this area, I still think that there are some great avenues that the KI teams can try venturing down.
Here are some ways KI can help entice new members to join up...& ways players can work with them to accomplish the same goals & hopefully bring future high-quality/quantity updates down the Skyway:
1] Advertisements/Commercials
Letting potential new fishies know you are there goes a long way towards reeling them in. A couple, updated commercials that show what this game has to offer would be fantastic. Let people know P101 is a game for all ages, all walks of life & has something to offer every interest out there. This game has so much appeal that can reach such a diverse audience. Show them the fun that is out there.
2] Hook-a-Friend Programs
This is a way developers & current players can help each other. Mew & Ratty want us to help bring in new players. Why not create a fun & rewarding way to do just this. Develop a program where current players can refer a friend to join P101. Provide a way on the website where you can link a new member to a current member that referred them. Provide rewards to both parties for showing dedication & commitment to the game & it's future. Maybe rewards can include 1-month memberships, card packs/bundles, in-game Crowns items. Or even non-currency rewards such as: in-game mounts, Scrip, rare pets/gear-- things already in game that won't cost the company to hand out. Players will be helping KI & KI will be rewarding their efforts.
3] Incentive/Rewards Programs
Link W101 to P101 in such a way that if a Wiz-only player makes a Pirate account, they get W101 rewards based on progression in P101. Again, give away non-currency types of rewards or anything to entice wizards to join the pirates crew. Have the reward program go both ways & provide enticing incentives for both wizzies/pirates to start & continue their journeys in both games. Could be a way to hook many of those pointy-hat players.
4] Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges for rewards
Many games keep players logging in by providing daily & weekly challenges/quests & rewarding them for doing so. P101 is perfect for this. When you log in there could be icons on the screen that when clicked start up a daily/weekly event interface. Paying members can partake in these events & receive rewards based on completing tasks. Farm x bosses x amount of times, get some Scrip! Destroy x-enemy ships & get a new, pet & high level snack packs. Complete a badge during that week & earn some booster packs. There is so much that could be done here & it would keep players logging in daily/weekly & entice non-members to purchase membership in order to reap those rewards.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
I appreciate Mew & RB reaching out to players, in hopes of them helping to recruit/encourage players to join P101-- I tuly do! It comes from wanting to bring us more. Not only more, but much more in both the quality & quantity departments. While I do believe there's a lot that players can do to help in this area, I still think that there are some great avenues that the KI teams can try venturing down.
Here are some ways KI can help entice new members to join up...& ways players can work with them to accomplish the same goals & hopefully bring future high-quality/quantity updates down the Skyway:
Letting potential new fishies know you are there goes a long way towards reeling them in. A couple, updated commercials that show what this game has to offer would be fantastic. Let people know P101 is a game for all ages, all walks of life & has something to offer every interest out there. This game has so much appeal that can reach such a diverse audience. Show them the fun that is out there.
This is a way developers & current players can help each other. Mew & Ratty want us to help bring in new players. Why not create a fun & rewarding way to do just this. Develop a program where current players can refer a friend to join P101. Provide a way on the website where you can link a new member to a current member that referred them. Provide rewards to both parties for showing dedication & commitment to the game & it's future. Maybe rewards can include 1-month memberships, card packs/bundles, in-game Crowns items. Or even non-currency rewards such as: in-game mounts, Scrip, rare pets/gear-- things already in game that won't cost the company to hand out. Players will be helping KI & KI will be rewarding their efforts.
Link W101 to P101 in such a way that if a Wiz-only player makes a Pirate account, they get W101 rewards based on progression in P101. Again, give away non-currency types of rewards or anything to entice wizards to join the pirates crew. Have the reward program go both ways & provide enticing incentives for both wizzies/pirates to start & continue their journeys in both games. Could be a way to hook many of those pointy-hat players.
Many games keep players logging in by providing daily & weekly challenges/quests & rewarding them for doing so. P101 is perfect for this. When you log in there could be icons on the screen that when clicked start up a daily/weekly event interface. Paying members can partake in these events & receive rewards based on completing tasks. Farm x bosses x amount of times, get some Scrip! Destroy x-enemy ships & get a new, pet & high level snack packs. Complete a badge during that week & earn some booster packs. There is so much that could be done here & it would keep players logging in daily/weekly & entice non-members to purchase membership in order to reap those rewards.
4] ...continued
The daily quests, or maybe Daily Plunder would be more fitting, could be something along the lines of defeating varying types of enemies. Which bounties showed up on any given day would be random-- to keep the Spiral smelling fresh. Maybe bounties along the lines of something like these:
Defeat Skyway creatures, types
Fish-Kabob- Defeat 5 types of Spiral fish, 10 of each kind. Batacuda, Flying Fish, Stiletto, Koi etc.
Seafood Buffet- Defeat 5 types of sea creatures, 10 of each kind. Sky Squid, Jellyfish, Crawlies, etc...
Chip off the Ol' Flock- Defeat 5 types of winged creatures.
Defeat enemy, types
Hook, Line & Stinkers- Defeat 50 Zombie/Undead enemy types
Rattle 'em Bones- Defeat 50 Skeletal enemy types
I Do Believe in Spooks- Defeat 50 Ghostly enemy types
That Really Stings- Defeat 50 enemies that sting
Dog Chow- Defeat 50 muttly enemies
Kitty Litter- Defeat 50 ferocious feline types
Shark Bait- Defeat 50 shark enemy types
Round 'em Up- Defeat any 50 'livestock' enemies
Defeat any 50 enemies, by location- type (to encourage progression)
Skull Island Stompin' (Skull Island)
Monkey Business (Monquista)
Thin the Herd (Cool Ranch)
Have a Cow...or a Pig, Goat, Crane... (MooShu)
Marleybone Mayhem (Marleybone)
Just Wing It (Aquila)
Waistin' Time (Valencia)
Dino-mite as well!
Defeat enemies using certain weapon type
Super Sized, please- Defeat enemies using a Combo weapon
Slice of Heaven- Using a Slashy Weapon only
Take a Stab- Stabby Weapon only
Have a Blast- Shooty Weapon only
Staff Meeting- Staffy Weapon only
....and so on and so on. Some of these could be used for Weekly Bounties, maybe with a higher number of enemies to defeat. Each day and week the game would randomly reset which bounties 'show up' and rewards would be given once completed. It would encourage daily logging in, obtaining membership, and traveling to all worlds and locations.
...Of course, I make it seem so much easier to develop and program than it surely is!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
4] ...continued
The daily quests, or maybe Daily Plunder would be more fitting, could be something along the lines of defeating varying types of enemies. Which bounties showed up on any given day would be random-- to keep the Spiral smelling fresh. Maybe bounties along the lines of something like these:
Defeat Skyway creatures, types
Fish-Kabob- Defeat 5 types of Spiral fish, 10 of each kind. Batacuda, Flying Fish, Stiletto, Koi etc.
Seafood Buffet- Defeat 5 types of sea creatures, 10 of each kind. Sky Squid, Jellyfish, Crawlies, etc...
Chip off the Ol' Flock- Defeat 5 types of winged creatures.
Defeat enemy, types
Hook, Line & Stinkers- Defeat 50 Zombie/Undead enemy types
Rattle 'em Bones- Defeat 50 Skeletal enemy types
I Do Believe in Spooks- Defeat 50 Ghostly enemy types
That Really Stings- Defeat 50 enemies that sting
Dog Chow- Defeat 50 muttly enemies
Kitty Litter- Defeat 50 ferocious feline types
Shark Bait- Defeat 50 shark enemy types
Round 'em Up- Defeat any 50 'livestock' enemies
Defeat any 50 enemies, by location- type (to encourage progression)
Skull Island Stompin' (Skull Island)
Monkey Business (Monquista)
Thin the Herd (Cool Ranch)
Have a Cow...or a Pig, Goat, Crane... (MooShu)
Marleybone Mayhem (Marleybone)
Just Wing It (Aquila)
Waistin' Time (Valencia)
Dino-mite as well!
Defeat enemies using certain weapon type
Super Sized, please- Defeat enemies using a Combo weapon
Slice of Heaven- Using a Slashy Weapon only
Take a Stab- Stabby Weapon only
Have a Blast- Shooty Weapon only
Staff Meeting- Staffy Weapon only
....and so on and so on. Some of these could be used for Weekly Bounties, maybe with a higher number of enemies to defeat. Each day and week the game would randomly reset which bounties 'show up' and rewards would be given once completed. It would encourage daily logging in, obtaining membership, and traveling to all worlds and locations.
...Of course, I make it seem so much easier to develop and program than it surely is!
5] The Treasure Trove
This goes hand-in-hand with the Daily Plunder/Weekly, reward system. Oh, before I get into it, there could also be a Daily Quest (maybe called, Toss-a-Boss) to defeat a major boss, anywhere in the Spiral. Again, this would encourage players to revisit some of those past bosses, and obtain membership so they have access to certain bosses. Maybe it could be a Team-Only feature, meaning that you need 4 pirates to start and complete the boss battle-- to encourage co-op/multiplayer gaming.
Now for the Treasure Trove part. The Daily Plunder and Daily Toss-a-Boss could earn you a new form of in-game currency called Bullion. A new Crown-Shop type of store could be added (for members only), in which you trade in that Bullion for cool, new, exclusive items: pets, outfits for stitching, ships/parts, packs, mounts, houses/housing items and eventually leading to ultimate rewards such as super-exclusive companions. The Treasure Trove could be a 'tiered rewards' store meaning that you have to reach a certain Tier (via completing Daily/Weekly activities & gaining Bullion) in order to even qualify for certain Tiered rewards. Exclusive Companions and Ships would be at the top and final tier...and would take a heck of a lot of work to get to. But it would give members something to work on and log in daily in order to seek out those exclusive treasures. New items could be added in the future. Again, only Bullion from the Daily/Weekly events and progression through the ranks of tiers could be used to earn entry into The Treasure Trove. And make it only available to members. Actually...maybe provide free-to-play players a "free allowance" of Bullion when they start up. Enough to purchase something on the lowest tier, this way they could see all of the glorious Booty that awaits if they just upgrade to a membership and log in daily to complete those Daily/Weekly tasks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I love all your ideas Valkoor. How about if we can get another player to start playing or to sub we get a badge something like: Friend of Pirate101 or Pirate101 Hero. If it came with a cool effect that would show others how wonderful they are for helping, it would further incentive the idea.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
I love all your ideas Valkoor. How about if we can get another player to start playing or to sub we get a badge something like: Friend of Pirate101 or Pirate101 Hero. If it came with a cool effect that would show others how wonderful they are for helping, it would further incentive the idea.
Thank you, Chrissy. You know me I am full of ideas (or is it a fool with ideas)-- some decent, some creative, some plain goofy and some that should just be tossed overboard and fed to the circling Cutthroats. Wait....can Cutthroats even swim?

I like the idea of a special badge with a cool effect being rewarded to those that recruit new members. There's a lot of potential options in the incentives department. Something special for doing something special.

And in fact, I had ideas for some cool rewards that could appear in the Treasure Trove (aka- members only, mega Crown Shop). From doing the Daily Plunder you could earn the new currency, maybe Bullion, and use it to make purchases in the Treasure Trove.

Some of the exclusive rewards could be: exclusive badges with cool and spooky effects; new exclusive emotes including fancy new dance moves and celebrations; gear and weapons with neat effects that can be used for stitching your powerful gear to; more gender specific gear, also for stitching purposes; exclusive mounts; maybe some exclusive companions featuring some of the crazy NPC's, allies and nefarious baddies that we have encountered on our journeys (you know those characters that truly deserve some starring roles once again); exclusive ships and ship gear; pets that can create their own special hybrids when morphed only with other exclusive pets from the Treasure Trove; and so on and so on. Make access to the Daily Plunder and Treasure Trove only available once a paying member reaches the game's current max, to promote progression and daily logging in after all current storyline and new update completion. Kind of like a Play-2-Plunder system, of sorts. That may keep players engaged and working towards rewards once they finish up current content.

Something like this might just keep new members coming in and keep the game fresh for current paying members at max-level. Maybe???

Thanks again, my friend!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
5] The Treasure Trove
This goes hand-in-hand with the Daily Plunder/Weekly, reward system. Oh, before I get into it, there could also be a Daily Quest (maybe called, Toss-a-Boss) to defeat a major boss, anywhere in the Spiral. Again, this would encourage players to revisit some of those past bosses, and obtain membership so they have access to certain bosses. Maybe it could be a Team-Only feature, meaning that you need 4 pirates to start and complete the boss battle-- to encourage co-op/multiplayer gaming.
Now for the Treasure Trove part. The Daily Plunder and Daily Toss-a-Boss could earn you a new form of in-game currency called Bullion. A new Crown-Shop type of store could be added (for members only), in which you trade in that Bullion for cool, new, exclusive items: pets, outfits for stitching, ships/parts, packs, mounts, houses/housing items and eventually leading to ultimate rewards such as super-exclusive companions. The Treasure Trove could be a 'tiered rewards' store meaning that you have to reach a certain Tier (via completing Daily/Weekly activities & gaining Bullion) in order to even qualify for certain Tiered rewards. Exclusive Companions and Ships would be at the top and final tier...and would take a heck of a lot of work to get to. But it would give members something to work on and log in daily in order to seek out those exclusive treasures. New items could be added in the future. Again, only Bullion from the Daily/Weekly events and progression through the ranks of tiers could be used to earn entry into The Treasure Trove. And make it only available to members. Actually...maybe provide free-to-play players a "free allowance" of Bullion when they start up. Enough to purchase something on the lowest tier, this way they could see all of the glorious Booty that awaits if they just upgrade to a membership and log in daily to complete those Daily/Weekly tasks.
You have some great ideas. Quick KI hire this man! He's got your marketing plan! And he's a punster you won't even need doodle pads at the meetings to keep awake.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
You have some great ideas. Quick KI hire this man! He's got your marketing plan! And he's a punster you won't even need doodle pads at the meetings to keep awake.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Lol...thank you, Dante. Though I just may be closer to being tossed overboard than to KI hiring me.

My marketing plan also involves giving free, unlimited access to purchasing stuff, to any members named Cliff, Leaf, Sandy, Pebbles, Sunny, Rocky, Misty, Daisy, Peaches, Rose, Skye, Pruned-Hedges...etc.-- hey, what can I say, I love nature! Members with "nautical" and pirate-y names, such as Bob, Sway, Patch, Finn, Orry, Peg, Arrrnold, Ecks, Mark, Dee, Spot...would get free tours of the underside of a floating vessel (complete with follow up gasps of air)!!! That'll surely sell some memberships.

And I'd hope they'd keep those doodle pads handy at the meetings...origami is a team building tool and oddly shaped eye-patches for everyone!!! Thanks for the support, buddy!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DuranteRamses87 on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
LOL Can you just imagine a meeting with Tom and Valkoor in attendance? The giggle tears would be flowing so much they would never be able to read the agenda.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Great to see you back, Captain V.!

I like your suggestions.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
These ideas are Amazing! They would certainly attract more plays and keep old players in the game!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Thank you, Indigo. It's great to be back posting and playing again, even if it may only be for a bit and/or in a lesser fashion. It was great seeing you and Fiorenza the other night in-game and catching up a little.

And thank you too, Ryan. I appreciate the encouragement. Hopefully new ideas will be sparked from all of the players ideas/suggestions and P101 can enjoy continued success.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
5] The Treasure Trove
Love this idea!

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2013
Great ideas!

I also think creating more bundles may help attract new players. Just seeing game cards on the shelves that say "Pirate101" may lead to people thinking, "Hmm, what's that? Maybe I should try that out." If the Pirate101 name isn't out there in public, there is a good chance that people don't even know what it is.

~Virtuous Vanessa

Once a super fan, now a KingsIsle QA Tester! I squash bugs.
~
_~ )_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
Lol...thank you, Dante. Though I just may be closer to being tossed overboard than to KI hiring me.

My marketing plan also involves giving free, unlimited access to purchasing stuff, to any members named Cliff, Leaf, Sandy, Pebbles, Sunny, Rocky, Misty, Daisy, Peaches, Rose, Skye, Pruned-Hedges...etc.-- hey, what can I say, I love nature! Members with "nautical" and pirate-y names, such as Bob, Sway, Patch, Finn, Orry, Peg, Arrrnold, Ecks, Mark, Dee, Spot...would get free tours of the underside of a floating vessel (complete with follow up gasps of air)!!! That'll surely sell some memberships.

And I'd hope they'd keep those doodle pads handy at the meetings...origami is a team building tool and oddly shaped eye-patches for everyone!!! Thanks for the support, buddy!
Well, marketing takes lots o' planning, inspiration, concentration, & especially work. I'd presume people thinking about marketing ways would take more than what you thought, even with them targeted to change, too, but I really appreciate these ideas.

Though, I would think about other ideas to bring in more people, like carrying over certain ideas from W101 to P101, such as One-Shot housing gauntlets, boss rematch battles, new housing gauntlet bundles, more Make-A-Wish P101 wishes, new events, holiday & original(E.G., the 5 B.O.X.E.S. event in W101), even an equivalent to W101's Skeleton Key secret boss system.

Those have all been great successes to W101 in it's past updates time to time, & they still do today, so these ideas should be brought to P101 to follow suit to that success, so KI can get the game going again.

Honestly, I previously didn't know players meant a lot to P101 like how it is with W101... until now. That said, we'll do all we can to help KI a lot.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Since October is coming fast and we'll be celebrating the fourth year of Pirate101, why not combine this event into a membership drive much like the Valencian Steed Mount?
Only no Crowns purchases allowed - you must have a membership ( say before Oct. 31 ). Now for the reward for getting a membership ( whether it's purchased on line or from a game card ). If you get a membership this is what you get - a companion!
This could be any kind that is currently in game or something completely new. In fact, since many players have been asking for a Cat companion, why not make it one of the smuggler cats we see in Marleybone? ( Like Felix in the Snail and Newt Tavern? )
And if it's a new account with a membership, you get the companion + 500 Crowns + one week of free play!
Just placing this notice on Gaming Websites might be enough to get interest started and P101 players could spread the news.
After all, everyone loves "free"!

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
You've got some nice ideas here mate!

Those daily/weekly challenges do sound like an awesome feature to add to the game! I'd be doing those all the time.

Also, the idea of adding badges that have some cool effect would certainly entice me to stay forever. I've always wanted more badges like Nefarious 6th and Opposition Champion.

I must say, if all of your ideas were implemented, I'd certainly think that our community would expand tremendously. I sincerely hope KI considers your ideas.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 70

Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Since October is coming fast and we'll be celebrating the fourth year of Pirate101, why not combine this event into a membership drive much like the Valencian Steed Mount?
Only no Crowns purchases allowed - you must have a membership ( say before Oct. 31 ). Now for the reward for getting a membership ( whether it's purchased on line or from a game card ). If you get a membership this is what you get - a companion!
This could be any kind that is currently in game or something completely new. In fact, since many players have been asking for a Cat companion, why not make it one of the smuggler cats we see in Marleybone? ( Like Felix in the Snail and Newt Tavern? )
And if it's a new account with a membership, you get the companion + 500 Crowns + one week of free play!
Just placing this notice on Gaming Websites might be enough to get interest started and P101 players could spread the news.
I like that idea! Good conclusion to my boochbeard bundle thread!

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 22

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Yes...yes...& let me see...a-yeeeaaassss!!!

I think there are so many promotional ideas, such as yours, that would really attract players & new membership. That Valencian Steed Mount promotion was a great idea & something like that could easily translate into bigger & better things...& hopefully bring a great many new members to the Pirate-y side of the Spiral. Adding some "I gotta haves...but I gotta be a member to have them" kind of incentives/promotions/rewards/purchases, could really help bolster the transition from free 2 play, to paying member.

Like you noted, with all of the subscribers/followers P101 has, promoting these kind of events through social media would reach quite a population of players & potential players.

Also, like Virtuous Vanessa stated, a little "window advertising" goes a long way towards attracting potential paying customers. Even when I go into the gaming stores, the P101 cards are tucked away on the rotating gift card rack...& there's usually no more than 1 or 2 cards in a given store (while W101 usually has 5+ types). All of the other games that provide gift cards, have promotional signs throughout the store at least drawing their eyes to their game. So perhaps adding some more bundles & some P101 "eye candy" to promote the game-- especially where KI products are sold-- would go a long way towards bringing in more members & also current members' spending. Despite the transition to social communication, there's still always a place for the more, personal & intimate approach.

But all of this does cost money & KI would have to weigh the potential pros/cons versus the costs. But advertising/promoting, in general, is always a smart business practice. And social media will only take you so far. Hopefully new marketing & promotional ideas are in the works & potential new players can be hooked & they'll get to see the glory that is P101-- something we all have had the joy to experience. Hopefully others can too...& for a long time to come.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Marketing the game as "A Pirate Game for Kids" is misleading on many levels. While it's scaled for younger players when it comes to blood and gore and violence, or rather the lack of those things, it is enjoyable for players of all ages because of the depth of strategy. That, plus the brilliant references to pop culture make the game attractive to older players. The sad thing is there are many people who'll never know this because of the "for kids" attachment. The cartoony graphics (and I mean that in a good way) in the adverts doesn't help either. So many people get sucked into more "mature" games because of their glitzy graphics but in many cases those graphics masque questionable gameplay and story line content. P101 has decent stories, even if they're somewhat repetitive and contrived at times.
I still think KI is missing the boat and should be concentrating on promoting the game as "family friendly"... not just kid friendly. Parents and children can adventure and/or PvP together which is something not a lot of other franchises offer. And if you offer a kid a chance to whup some parent booty once in a while they'll probably jump at the chance!
So to KI I say... ramp up those commercials to target a more mature crowd as well as the youngsters and I think you'll tap into a potentially huge market.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
5] The Treasure Trove
Your toss-a-boss might work better if one could suggest teams of 2-4. That way someone playing at an odd time isn't as likely to be unable to find a full team. And folks like me, who are shy even in virtual crowds, would only have to deal with facing fewer unfamiliar people to finish the task.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 2, 2016 wrote:
Your toss-a-boss might work better if one could suggest teams of 2-4. That way someone playing at an odd time isn't as likely to be unable to find a full team. And folks like me, who are shy even in virtual crowds, would only have to deal with facing fewer unfamiliar people to finish the task.
Yeah, it doesn't even have to be a Team-Up "event". I had just realized that I hadn't provided any examples/suggestions to promote/encourage piratical togetherness So I threw that in to make the Spiral and Skyways a little warmer & cozier.

I actually would like to see something like the Toss-A-Boss become a weekly bounty that could be done solo or with a team of 2,3 or even 4 pirates. Something like the defeat-specific-boss-x-amount-of-times badges that we currently have. You defeat the Boss of the week so many times (maybe even in specific ways) for that given week & you get rewarded with exclusive gear/pets/emotes/effects, possibly Scrip, the Bullion that I suggested (to spend in The Treasure Trove)...or whatever would entice players to take part in it. But it could certainly be done solo if one wishes &/or combined with teams.

I also would love to see something like rare & random, Message In a Bottle line of quests. Something like this:

You're sailing around with your crew when out of the blue ol' Hawkules squawks out, "Hark, over there! That poor shiny bottle is drowning in the...uh, air!?" You steer your vessel towards the floating bottle & pull out the first note in a semi-long line of clue-filled notes that leads your pirate on a treasure chase. Throughout the quests you sail to the next clue/location & defeat something(s), locate the treasure, & then at the end you are rewarded with an extremely rare item(s).

Or even better yet...El Toro bellows from your ships bow, "My Capitan. The fruitful winds of Santo Pollo have blown in rumors of something most peculiar. I suggest we give it a look see...eh, por favor. Ar-r-r-r-r-baa!" It could be a random crew member that gets to start the random occurrence-- just for the sake of variety. Either way, we pirates would never know when it was going to happen & the only way it could happen is....yep, you guessed it-- by being in game & playing.

The sniffings of epic treasures always pulls a pirate by his nose hairs!