Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My Reaction to the companion buffs

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
To be honest, this scares and excites me at the same time. My First thoughts are "is this just for testing epics?" and my second thought was "This is going live isn't it?" It scares me with what most companions can do now, however it excites me to see that Nausica didn't get a buff, but i guess Goro gets +2(+3* my apologies) so i don't know what other crown companions gain form this update. This makes certain companions overpowered, but at the same time, this goes for everyone, so it is fair. I like this update, as it allows certain companions to par with the crown ones, without making the crowns one obsolete. I am so hyped for this update to go live right now. This also makes the lower tier companions more viable, so I thank Kingsisle for that(even though i will still not use them that often )

Overall, an excellent answer to the "Crown Companion" Complaints, I would have not seen this as the perfect answer for it.

On that note, what other fixes (Levi Call, allowing us to test the new ranked weapons, etc.) have been implemented so that we know?

On the Technical side, I know we will just get these, but what about starting players? Will they just get these buffs to start(that would make it a bit op for starters), or is it an additional +1 for each promotion? Just wondering how they will be distributed for those pirate that will get there
Can't wait for more

Stormy Sam Templeton 65

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Stormy Sam Templet... on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
To be honest, this scares and excites me at the same time. My First thoughts are "is this just for testing epics?" and my second thought was "This is going live isn't it?" It scares me with what most companions can do now, however it excites me to see that Nausica didn't get a buff, but i guess Goro gets +2(+3* my apologies) so i don't know what other crown companions gain form this update. This makes certain companions overpowered, but at the same time, this goes for everyone, so it is fair. I like this update, as it allows certain companions to par with the crown ones, without making the crowns one obsolete. I am so hyped for this update to go live right now. This also makes the lower tier companions more viable, so I thank Kingsisle for that(even though i will still not use them that often )

Overall, an excellent answer to the "Crown Companion" Complaints, I would have not seen this as the perfect answer for it.

On that note, what other fixes (Levi Call, allowing us to test the new ranked weapons, etc.) have been implemented so that we know?

On the Technical side, I know we will just get these, but what about starting players? Will they just get these buffs to start(that would make it a bit op for starters), or is it an additional +1 for each promotion? Just wondering how they will be distributed for those pirate that will get there
Can't wait for more

Stormy Sam Templeton 65
I do enjoy our companions receiving more Epics & how they get more through leveling, because it would definitely help us a bit more through the toughest challenges yet, though, I still wish that companions would receive more powers along with gaining them through promotions.

Sure, this may bring some concerns & excitement to many, but not to worry. This doesn't make them too overpowered or anything. It's to bring past companions on par with the later ones, & maybe others into line with them, like holiday & bundle companions, too.

The few things about that is, that select companions, like Nausica, haven't recived more Epics to choose, & the Yule Trogg still having little choices on which Epics to spend it's recieved Epics. This may need some tending to.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Stormy Sam Templet... on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:

Can't wait for more

Stormy Sam Templeton 65
It should have the same distribution as it normally would, but it may be a bit more than you are used to seeing. I agree with @Trimond297 that it brings companions "on par" with their counterparts.

I think this will help a lot with lower level pirates as I am currently working on a Witchdoctor. I lost 5 of my companions to the Striped Bumballoons, and they were the same level as me. I think some health fixes should be implemented to certain mobs. Some of them have over double your pirate's health when they are the same level as the pirate you are playing on.

James Underwood - Level 65

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
I disagree Sam. I know that people think Nausica was over powered. But think about how much people payed for her. That bundle is 40 dollars. Most crown shop companions only cost on average of 5-10 dollars. I know that you might not like it but the natural order of things is, if you do more you get more rewards and if you do less you get less. If a person spent extra money or time procuring a rare companion or rare gear they should get the benefits of having an above average companion and gear. By making the free starter, school, and campaign companions stronger than the one people payed extra money for your destroying peoples incentive to do more and work harder.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Thomas Sunhammer on Jul 26, 2015 wrote:
I disagree Sam. I know that people think Nausica was over powered. But think about how much people payed for her. That bundle is 40 dollars. Most crown shop companions only cost on average of 5-10 dollars. I know that you might not like it but the natural order of things is, if you do more you get more rewards and if you do less you get less. If a person spent extra money or time procuring a rare companion or rare gear they should get the benefits of having an above average companion and gear. By making the free starter, school, and campaign companions stronger than the one people payed extra money for your destroying peoples incentive to do more and work harder.
I respect your standpoint, as it is a part of society, however, you assume that Nausica is worth $40 when you also get gear, housing, crowns, and a ship with gear.

-Varying on level, the worth of the gear is anywhere between 1750- 7500 crowns(varies on level)(anywhere between $2.50-15)

-Housing is anywhere between 5k and 10k crowns in worth($10-20)

-Varying highly on level(and since it is weaker that Epic Hero), it is about 5k-10k crowns($10-20)

-Bonus 5k crowns($10)

This alone makes the minimum worth of the bundle 32.50, and the maximum worth being worth $65. Any way you look at it, Nausica is practically a free bonus or $7.50 worth. Saying you paid $40 for a companion is a little unfair to the rest of what you get out of the bundle. Do you see people being prideful about their Cutthroat companion often? Do you see people claiming Cornelius is too overpowered? So why should Nausica be any different?The companions were supposed to be designed as unique, not overpowered.
You talk about pay to win companions, yet you gloss over other Pay-to win aspects? For Example Pay to win gear.
Are there any "pay to win" gear? In my opinion, the Gladiator bundle gear is great for SB, but it is on par with farm-able gear in the game.
We already pay to play this game already, so do we really need it to be pay to win as well? Additionally, remember that this is a friendly children's game. Yes, people saving on their own accord should get rewards. But children don't work as much, let alone for money, so do you really want children begging their parents for money just so that they can be happy playing/winning PvP?

Yes Nausica is good, and I use her every now and then in PvP/PvE. Would I pay $40 just for one companion? Of course not. I do not think KingsIsle was going for Pay to win as well as pay-to-play, and playing both business strategies is rather unfair. Nausica is still unique, but just not as overpowered now.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Stormy Sam Templet... on Jul 27, 2015 wrote:
I respect your standpoint, as it is a part of society, however, you assume that Nausica is worth $40 when you also get gear, housing, crowns, and a ship with gear.

-Varying on level, the worth of the gear is anywhere between 1750- 7500 crowns(varies on level)(anywhere between $2.50-15)

-Housing is anywhere between 5k and 10k crowns in worth($10-20)

-Varying highly on level(and since it is weaker that Epic Hero), it is about 5k-10k crowns($10-20)

-Bonus 5k crowns($10)

This alone makes the minimum worth of the bundle 32.50, and the maximum worth being worth $65. Any way you look at it, Nausica is practically a free bonus or $7.50 worth. Saying you paid $40 for a companion is a little unfair to the rest of what you get out of the bundle. Do you see people being prideful about their Cutthroat companion often? Do you see people claiming Cornelius is too overpowered? So why should Nausica be any different?The companions were supposed to be designed as unique, not overpowered.
You talk about pay to win companions, yet you gloss over other Pay-to win aspects? For Example Pay to win gear.
Are there any "pay to win" gear? In my opinion, the Gladiator bundle gear is great for SB, but it is on par with farm-able gear in the game.
We already pay to play this game already, so do we really need it to be pay to win as well? Additionally, remember that this is a friendly children's game. Yes, people saving on their own accord should get rewards. But children don't work as much, let alone for money, so do you really want children begging their parents for money just so that they can be happy playing/winning PvP?

Yes Nausica is good, and I use her every now and then in PvP/PvE. Would I pay $40 just for one companion? Of course not. I do not think KingsIsle was going for Pay to win as well as pay-to-play, and playing both business strategies is rather unfair. Nausica is still unique, but just not as overpowered now.
Hmm well you might have a valid point. Nausica is awesome as she is...and I do agree that that gear is excellent. Its possible I was connecting my frustration for the bears not getting epics to Nausica as well. I agree that Baar doesn't need any more powers either. But those pacs don't have great powerful gear, cool mounts, or housing items. Consolation prize wise they are the worst packs ever. I am sick of getting those stupid hamster tubes that our pets can't even use. I would love to see the other bears gain more powers along with all the other starters.