Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Sergeant Shepherd

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 28, 2014
Just a quick question:

I've got a couple extra crowns and wanted to buy a crown shop companion...

Since I am a buccaneer, I have so many already and I think I made the wrong choice for the companion at the presidio cus he was a buccaneer too! (the guinea pig)

I was thinking about Sergeant Shepherd, but I heard from a lot of people that he's not very good... is that true? What powers and epics does he learn and how many?

Would you recommend a different crown companion for me since I am a buccaneer? I am currently in Valencia but will be leaving soon I think.

Thanks!
Cautious Daniel Clegg

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Striving Pilgrim on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
Just a quick question:

Since I am a buccaneer, I have so many already and I think I made the wrong choice for the companion at the presidio cus he was a buccaneer too! (the guinea pig)

I was thinking about Sergeant Shepherd, but I heard from a lot of people that he's not very good... is that true? What powers and epics does he learn and how many?

Would you recommend a different crown companion for me since I am a buccaneer? I am currently in Valencia but will be leaving soon I think.

Thanks!
Cautious Daniel Clegg
Well, first of all, it is good to have companions that are the same class as you because you can use your buffs (whale's might and whatever the other ones are).
Anyway, All presido companions have 4 epics at final promotion and I dont think they have any powers besides Critical Strike.
I would wait on buying anything, your crew should be fine at this moment.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Just a quick question:

Thanks!
Cautious Daniel Clegg
Seargent Shepard is an excellent companion! He is the 'twin' of Lucky Jack Russell and is fairly powerful, he only has a critical strike, but you can give him all the standard epics available for a privateer companion - like repel boarders, cheap shot, flanking etc.
If you want something different I would go for a swashbuckler, since you're in Valencia; have you unlocked Ridolpho Capoferro? He is an excellent companion, or if you want extra mojo on your crew, fight Eep Op Ork Ah Ah 24 more times to unlock him.

Ensign
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks for the tips! I have unlocked Ridolpho Copoferro (or whatever his name is...) I didn't know he was any good, so I might grab him! Thanks for all your help everyone! I'll probably wait till a couple more levels. I just started Cool Ranch, so when I get a couple more levels I think I'll grab both Ridolpho and Eep Opp ork ah ah!

I'll probably use the buccaneers more often then, since I have noticed that my buffs only work on some and not others.... didn't know only bucs benefit from strength buffs...

Love the game and the community! Thanks again for the good advise!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
And with eep he has the ability to poison which is fun. He likes to tell jokes and laugh so learning to speak Trogg is essential. I hear Barnabus knows the language he can teach ya. I had to learn the hard way of living in the jungle for a time. Also its a good idea to build up an immunity to the poison. Learned that the hard way too. In battle I got caught up in the moment and after defeating the enemy I have him a high five sort of thing after which I was poisoned from the contact and in the hospital for a few days....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Mar 29, 2013
You get Ridolfo Cappoferro as a Musketeer, and I have to say I absolutely love him. I love him.
Anyway, yes, Ridolfo would be a good choice.

BUT, I always find that it is better to have more of the same class as companions for buffs.
For example, on my 2 maxed buccaneers, my top 3 are: Peter Quint, Toro, and Bonnie
but on my low level buccaneer (about Valencia), my top 3 are: Peter Quint, Goronado, and Ratbeard.

Notice that on my smaller buccaneer, they are all buccaneer types - so they can get buffed up.

Goronado is a companion you can only get after fighting Gortez 25 times. I highly highly recommend him.

Good luck!

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Striving Pilgrim on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I have unlocked Ridolpho Copoferro (or whatever his name is...) I didn't know he was any good, so I might grab him! Thanks for all your help everyone! I'll probably wait till a couple more levels. I just started Cool Ranch, so when I get a couple more levels I think I'll grab both Ridolpho and Eep Opp ork ah ah!

I'll probably use the buccaneers more often then, since I have noticed that my buffs only work on some and not others.... didn't know only bucs benefit from strength buffs...

Love the game and the community! Thanks again for the good advise!
Ridolfo is VERY powerful, and I have used him on many occasions where lots of damage needs to be dealt in a short amount of time. If you're looking for high damage rates, get Ridolfo.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
Seargent Shepard is an excellent companion! He is the 'twin' of Lucky Jack Russell and is fairly powerful, he only has a critical strike, but you can give him all the standard epics available for a privateer companion - like repel boarders, cheap shot, flanking etc.
If you want something different I would go for a swashbuckler, since you're in Valencia; have you unlocked Ridolpho Capoferro? He is an excellent companion, or if you want extra mojo on your crew, fight Eep Op Ork Ah Ah 24 more times to unlock him.
Excuse me, but, didn't you say Sergeant Shepherd? The very same Sergeant Shepherd that I've seen before in Skull Island? I had some thoughts about him after seeing him during the quest "Into the Skull Cave" & a companion that is also named Sergeant Shepherd.

You know, after seeing him as the NPC & as a purchasable companion after finishing "One-Eyed Jacks are Wild", I'm really baffled. How could he be the Crown Shop "twin" of Luck Jack Russell if he's already an NPC in Skull Island? This is one query that's bothering me for a long time now. How could it be that's he's both an NPC & a purchasable Crown Shop companion at once?

I wish that NPC could be renamed, or, at least, have that Crown Shop twin of Lucky Jack Russell renamed to separate him from the other that is using that exact name.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
I would reccomend waiting until you finish the game. then, i would suggest going and fighting gortez enough times that you can buy his clone from the crownshop. to the best of my knowledge, Goronado is the best buccaneer companion in the game. but hey, thats just my advice.

Ensign
Sep 28, 2014
Ahoy everyone!

Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate it. I had another companion question, though.

The bear companions in the Grizzleheim booster pack: Does anyone know how many promotions they get and when they promote? I just got the privateer bear (Yaarn?) and really like him, but was wondering when he promoted and how often?

Thanks everyone!

Cautious Daniel Clegg

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blixet on Apr 27, 2015 wrote:
I would reccomend waiting until you finish the game. then, i would suggest going and fighting gortez enough times that you can buy his clone from the crownshop. to the best of my knowledge, Goronado is the best buccaneer companion in the game. but hey, thats just my advice.
Technically, there is no end to the game's storyline or the game itself. There is only the cliffhanger point, of which it will always be there once a new storyline update is launched.

Besides that, Goronado is quite a good Crowns Shop companion.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Blixet on Apr 27, 2015 wrote:
Goronado is a DEVASTATING companion, well worth the 7495 Crowns price. He can learn a couple Epics, but his real strength is from his 2 moves: Vicious Strike and Gorilla Warfare. Treat him as you would Baar; Tank him up with strength buffs, put a Valor's Armor on him, and cut him loose! The devastation is both pleasing to the eye and awesome!

Ensign
Nov 05, 2011
About Laarn, I happen to have him...he is awesome! He is a pay to promote like the rest of the crown shop companions, and can summon pets. So far, I have one promo for him on my lvl 44 Witchdoctor and he is the same level as I. I think he gets another promo soon, and his 1st one is around level 20-30 don't remember super well

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond297 on Apr 27, 2015 wrote:
Excuse me, but, didn't you say Sergeant Shepherd? The very same Sergeant Shepherd that I've seen before in Skull Island? I had some thoughts about him after seeing him during the quest "Into the Skull Cave" & a companion that is also named Sergeant Shepherd.

You know, after seeing him as the NPC & as a purchasable companion after finishing "One-Eyed Jacks are Wild", I'm really baffled. How could he be the Crown Shop "twin" of Luck Jack Russell if he's already an NPC in Skull Island? This is one query that's bothering me for a long time now. How could it be that's he's both an NPC & a purchasable Crown Shop companion at once?

I wish that NPC could be renamed, or, at least, have that Crown Shop twin of Lucky Jack Russell renamed to separate him from the other that is using that exact name.
You're forgetting what he said to us when we beat Fin "I hope we meet again sometime". Obviously, we're now able to recruit this NPC for ourselves. Why let this bother you unnecessarily?

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Just a quick question:

Thanks!
Cautious Daniel Clegg
Well, if you haven't already bought Temujin, I would take him over Sergeant Shepard any day. Temujin has to critical attacks with one of them being an accuracy reducing attack. Subodai and Temujin are two of the best companions in the game by far. They are suitable for PVE and PVP as well.