Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

pirate101 versus wizard101 which is better?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 16, 2013
some people say wizard is better others say pirate my brain goes back and forth however, right now i like pirate better so what do you say

pls list your opinion below

happy spring break and fair sailing
bloody jordan nightingale lvl 65

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
To be fair i probably never would of heard of this if i didnt play w101, though i do find this game much better despite less housing choices :P It has more of a strategic feel to it rather than a kinda random feel.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Pirate101. I think they messed up Wizard101 and that's why I hardly play it anymore.

Ensign
Feb 17, 2009
BOTH are Equally Great IMO ,and Very Different In Game Play In Many ways,yet connected In story which actually makes Playing Both Pirate1010 & Wizard101 Even More Fun!

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
wiz pvp is all tc, pirates is better

Ensign
May 23, 2014
Pirates hands down. The story is better, the combat is funner, and the puns are better. Plus your crew talks to you incessantly, whereas you are alone, both in combat and your wanderings, in Wizard. And you can fly ships. Need I go on?

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
We are on the pirates message boards so i think most people prefer pirates and I am on that list!

Lieutenant
May 06, 2011
jordan06203915 on Mar 16, 2015 wrote:
some people say wizard is better others say pirate my brain goes back and forth however, right now i like pirate better so what do you say

I say Pirate101 is better! There are a whole bunch of pros than cons of Pirate101 vs Wizard101. Pirate101 has a variety of completely different systems. I sometimes wish that some things from Wizard101 were in Pirate101, but overall, I think Pirate101 is much more satisfying than Wizard101. All they do to Wizard101 is add, add, add until it's messed up.

First of all, Pirate101 has a better battle system. In Wizard101, you have to discard a card to place in a treasure card. In Pirate101, doubloons are waiting for you, providing their own space. Also, when you're in deep trouble in Wizard101, you're most likely done for. In Pirate101, you can panic, scream, and run away from the enemy which can help a lot - if you have friends in the battle, you can run behind them and have them protect you. (Also broadside combat)

Secondly, Pirate101 has much more transportation. This involves sailin' and the transportaler. In Wizard101, the only transportation you have is mounts / Spiral Doors but the Spiral Doors don't get you very far into the world. Don't forget the stagecoach in Cool Ranch...

Third, Pirate101.....

*continues to contrast Pirate101 from Wizard101 until the end of time*

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Between the two 101 games my current standing is toward the pirate.

In wizards initially, I was into the magical worlds of magic. It was a great and fun experince, sure it got fishing and crafting witch is fun. The only thing that I didn't like is how much cheating bosses is added and the dungeon zones witch for me not a big fan.

In pirates how ever, I had more fun and enjoyed it more. I remember the olden days when it was challenging and in my opinon lasted for hours. Now it rearly pass the 3 hour mark based on my recent experience, oh well it's still fun,but not as long. It's still fun and at least for vetarn players like me, ( and save some spare time to do other things like play other games or cook a meal ). I'm looking forward to a adventure hopefully soon.

Captain
May 16, 2011
Noooooooooooooooo! What have you done?! *Sighs* They're both fantastic....... ohhhhhhhh...... Pirate101, I guess..........................

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Op wizard bosses, 'nuff said.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
I think P101 wins it, mainly because of the combat. They really messed up W101 as of how KI sort of stuffed up the pvp and boss fights (you would need at least one person with you). I like the P101 storyline and how you have companions in battle which makes it seem easier . W101 players don't realise this is just the beginning of P101.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Both games be equal in me book.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
P101 hands down! It took me like 6 hours to do 1 battle and it didn't even make sense! (it was the malistare ghost one at the end of Azteca.)

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
While I do think that the general opinion will be biased towards Pirate101, as we are on the P101 message boards after all, I also agree that P101 is better.

Hear me out though. I have played both games to max level. I have only had the heart to continue on more than one character on P101 though. Namely because it was easier overall to play, even with VERY different classes, and the cheats that are in the game are not tipped in favor of the bosses, where as in Wixard101 it would be nearly impossible for me to solo many of the upper level bosses because of how bad the cheats had gotten.

Also, to me, Pirate101 has a better storyline. It's more complete, more fulfilling, VERY well written, and I feel as if it touches on darker subjects far better than W101 does while still maintaining a kid friendly atmosphere. W101 does touch on darker subjects, but it lacks some of the subtly that Pirate has. Morganthe is also just really boring, as a villain. She has little to no motivation and from a writer's standpoint, she honestly seems sort of typical. Not memorable. Malistaire was well written, the clockworks are well written, and Morganthe just falls flat of both of them.

Overall, the plot and gameplay are just so much more engaging in P101. I am not kidding when I say, in W101 all I have to do is load my deck with a set of cards and just point and click. It gets repetitive. You never get that with P101 though. Each fight is new and different, and rather like chess, and that's why I enjoy it.

Ensign
Sep 17, 2011
I'm going with the majority here.

Pirates all the way

Ensign
Feb 17, 2009
OK OK Have to Say and Go with The Majority as well Pirate101 Is WAAAY better than W101!

Petty Officer
Mar 11, 2011
Hm..
Kinda hard to choose in the winter of 2013 i had Lots of fun playing W101 .. An ice wizard helped me beat malistare and it was great but when i got to celestia it had become much more challenging and hard After pirate101 came out i signed up kind of but never played that either and i took a break from both games But then i came back to play pirate101 in the early months of 2014 and so...

I like pirate101 more because it has Companions and uhh... Your a pirate! Flying ships While in W101 you go riding a hydra or lion and then walk through a door and There you are in krokotopia It doesn't take long to go places while in P101 it does (Which makes it funner sometimes)

Pirate101 is the one game i got to max level between the two (Im around level 50 something on W101 as a death wizard)

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I've played both to a max and interestingly, my mains on both use DoTs: Fire and Swash. Funny...
Anyways I think I've spent more time on W101 because it takes longer to get to max, being it's level 100. I enjoyed the game, but then KI added bosses with ridiculous amounts of health and ridiculous cheats. I'm using team up a lot and finding nobody. I refuse to pay for henchmen so I go in and solo. I barely make it out alive, if I make it out alive. Not to mention, it's completely luck based while in P101, you select the general order of your powers and companions. In W101, the order is completely random.

Then there's the subject of PvP(Yeah, I'm going here). P101 is essentially anarchy at the moment, but people are making it work out pretty well considering. The powers of well rounded and with the equipment giving some powers to other classes, it works out well.
Now W101... Oh this is gonna be fun. First: the match system. 1v1 pairs people up by skill, and not by level. You get a Private level 98 fighting a Private level 54. And sometimes it's vice versa. Warlord lvl 100 fighting a Private lvl 100. PvP gear pulls out an obvious victor. IDK all the PvP ranks, but Private is lowest and Warlord is highest. When you hit a certain rank, you get access to equipment, which in turn, pulls you higher. It basically leaves 3 classes. Privates, people on their way to Warlords, and Warlords. That middle class is ridiculously small though so you can't hope to fight one of them unless you're one yourself, and then it's just hope. Then there's 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. Groups are determined by mean of all team mates' levels. So people do something called puppet teams. I don't have the space to explain what that is so if you don't know, look into it yourself.

So, in the end, P101 takes the cake.
That's by far the longest post I've ever posted.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
This question comes up every couple of months, but it is a logical question to ask. Sorry about repeating myself, but here is my take:

The most fundamental difference in the games is the core combat system. Wizard has Collectible Card Game (CCG) type combat, while Pirate's combat is essentially a tabletop miniatures skirmish game. I suspect which you will like best is more of a factor of which type of these two game styles you would prefer if you played both.

I have played both Wizard and PIrate extensively. Pirate, the younger game, is not as fully developed in terms of bells and whistles. For example, although we know "stitching" is coming, it is not here yet. However, with Pets as an example, KingsIsle is taking successful additions to Wizard and making them even better when introducing them to Pirate - so in that way Pirate does benefit from being the younger of the two games.

I have not played Wizard at all for about six months. Unfortunately, it is has a problem that becomes steadily worse as the game levels up: the designers make key fights challenging by giving the bosses massive "cheats" and zillions of hit points, which means fights take longer and longer to complete (many high-level boss fights take over an hour to complete, and are virtually impossible to complete solo). Pirate has more flexibility to make things challenging without resorting to large numbers of extremely annoying cheats - think of the General Tso's chicken fight as an example. To a large extent, I think Wizard's problem in this area is a consequence of the limitations of its core CCG combat system, where everyone stands stationary and tosses spells back and forth.

-Indigo

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
They both have little perks. Personally, I like them both the same.
Just can't wait for p101 to get more worlds, and can't wait for w101 hatchery people to get less snooty.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on Mar 21, 2015 wrote:
This question comes up every couple of months, but it is a logical question to ask. Sorry about repeating myself, but here is my take:

The most fundamental difference in the games is the core combat system. Wizard has Collectible Card Game (CCG) type combat, while Pirate's combat is essentially a tabletop miniatures skirmish game. I suspect which you will like best is more of a factor of which type of these two game styles you would prefer if you played both.

I have played both Wizard and PIrate extensively. Pirate, the younger game, is not as fully developed in terms of bells and whistles. For example, although we know "stitching" is coming, it is not here yet. However, with Pets as an example, KingsIsle is taking successful additions to Wizard and making them even better when introducing them to Pirate - so in that way Pirate does benefit from being the younger of the two games.

I have not played Wizard at all for about six months. Unfortunately, it is has a problem that becomes steadily worse as the game levels up: the designers make key fights challenging by giving the bosses massive "cheats" and zillions of hit points, which means fights take longer and longer to complete (many high-level boss fights take over an hour to complete, and are virtually impossible to complete solo). Pirate has more flexibility to make things challenging without resorting to large numbers of extremely annoying cheats - think of the General Tso's chicken fight as an example. To a large extent, I think Wizard's problem in this area is a consequence of the limitations of its core CCG combat system, where everyone stands stationary and tosses spells back and forth.

-Indigo
I believe it's crafting you're thinking of, since stitching is already in game, but very good analysis all the same!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, anecorbie, I did indeed mean crafting (I using stitching a lot in Pirate, as I want my pirates to look sharp!).

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, anecorbie, I did indeed mean crafting (I using stitching a lot in Pirate, as I want my pirates to look sharp!).

-Indigo

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
jordan06203915 on Mar 16, 2015 wrote:

Apples and oranges, sir. However, if I had to pick, I would definitely choose Pirate101 for several reasons. I think the graphics look better. I like the battling system better. The storyline is great and my pirates look super cool and I have to use more strategy with Pirate101. There's nothing wrong with Wizard101, but I've been playing Pirate101 since it started in Beta and I really like the fact that I've been here since day one.