Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Grizzly Beast Pack disappointment

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
While I understand how random works (and that technically if anything is random, there is a chance it will never happen), but.....

Still no bear companion after spending over 120,000 crowns.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jack Harkness on Sep 7, 2014 wrote:
While I understand how random works (and that technically if anything is random, there is a chance it will never happen), but.....

Did you get any pets or training tomes? Gear? Extra special pet snacks or doubloons? Its not just companions that are great in this pack.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

I hear you Jack, loud and clear.

I had to shell out about a WHOPPIN' 150,000 - 160,000 Crowns before I finally got 'lucky' and received the Musketeer bear. I know that the packs are a gamble and risk, but no player should have to spend that much money to get a virtual prize. I completely understand that it is a choice to pay for the chance, but there should possibly be a 'guaranteed cut-off amount' as to when you at least receive one companion. But it is a money making industry after all, and as long as we the players keep dishing out that much dough for virtual goodness, the high-stake gamble part will probably not change and guaranteed limits are probably merely a fantasy.

I do wish you the best of luck on getting a Grizzly companion.....no player should have to spend that much for at least one. Hope you get one soon, if you have any Crowns/Money left that is.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
I understand exactly how you feel! The same happened to me with the tribal crew pack, and I decided to let it go. I will say that "random" can be very hard to deal with knowing that some people got bear companions after a couple of packs and how some people got them after tons of packs. Good luck!

The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Captain
Dec 11, 2010

Here we go again *get sticky note of what to say when a pack disappoints someone*

They never state your confirmed the epic rare items after so many packs. You may get it in the next pack or never. Always be aware of this

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
welcome to the message boards jack harkness i got some pets and and doubloons its an okay pack

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
It took 329 packs )that's 131,271 crowns for those counting at home) to get 1 companion.

Also got 2 of the mechanical spiders, a handful of cats and too many of the other pets.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Well first welcome to boards, second no pirate said it be easy mate, but if ye play ye card right yer luck will change yer day will come mate have faith.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
anecorbie on Sep 7, 2014 wrote:
Did you get any pets or training tomes? Gear? Extra special pet snacks or doubloons? Its not just companions that are great in this pack.
Oh, I got pets. I'll post a screen shot if you really want to see them. And training tomes? ummmm, idc about those, I have over 100 on my character as it is. The snacks are ok, while neat, they aren't all THAT useful when compared to a normal snack, as long as you plan it out right and get pets to eat the snacks that they at least like, if not love.

Same thing with the doubloons, they are nice, but... I don't see them making the difference in winning a fight or not. The Egg doubloon could be fun in pvp though.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for the welcome.

I wanted to comment on this:

Here we go again *get sticky note of what to say when a pack disappoints someone*

They never state your confirmed the epic rare items after so many packs. You may get it in the next pack or never. Always be aware of this

I am well aware of how stuff like this works. As a veteran of CCGs (like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, Legend of the Five Rings) and a veteran of gaming (Ultima Online, Everquest, WoW, ect...) I know how this stuff works. But I also know that while you want rare things to be rare and really worth the time/investment, they need to be often enough for people to want to chance it. While they won't call it such, booster packs are a form of gambling.

If I had spent 130,000 crowns and had gotten 3 of the companions, I might be willing to try for the last 2.

Just sayin.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Jack Harkness on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

I wanted to comment on this:

I am well aware of how stuff like this works. As a veteran of CCGs (like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, Legend of the Five Rings) and a veteran of gaming (Ultima Online, Everquest, WoW, ect...) I know how this stuff works. But I also know that while you want rare things to be rare and really worth the time/investment, they need to be often enough for people to want to chance it. While they won't call it such, booster packs are a form of gambling.

If I had spent 130,000 crowns and had gotten 3 of the companions, I might be willing to try for the last 2.

Just sayin.
p.p somehow I expected this

Sigh it is happening again

Petty Officer
Jan 31, 2013
Actually, it's not random at all but programmed to be a 1 in 100 chance to get ultra rare items per pack opened. This was confirmed to me by a member of KingsIsle when I sent in an email complaining about spending over $100 in buying crowns to get a pack. I was after a mount at the time. I honestly hate that they programmed it that way because that 1% chance is so extremely low. Like Jack, I've been involved with plenty of other games both online and live that had rare things to collect. W101 & P101 was the first time where I felt the balance was wrong, and how it's not worth even trying for the ultra rare items. If you take out the fun, joy, and want of effort to try and get anything then you're left with nothing. My friend was nice enough to gift me a few packs so I could just see the few things they had to offer, but I won't be getting any myself simply because I know I will not get what I would most want.

Yes this is a long complaint rant, and one I will probably always bring up. I don't like the rewards system, and never will (unless it's changed). To those who get the items they truly want, I'm happy for them. To others who spend way too much money, I feel your pain.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I"m so sorry for your terrible luck. It's happened to me. in Wizard101 I'd spent 100000 crowns in hoard of the hydra, but I didn't even get a WAND. oh well...

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I did open 16 packs, although I got 3 pets recruiting a companion is hard,it's like finding a needle in a giant haystack based on my experience. I was trying to open 100 ( 20 each for my 5 characters )of these pack,but I ran out of crowns by the time I opened my 16th pack. Oh well try again in two weeks, when there might be another crown sale. Good luck on recruiting all 5 bear companions.

I nearly got a companion on the other pack i forgot the name,but I have to take a 10 second break and got a second yellow mount instead.I will try again some time in winter,I have given up yet to get a dino companion.

Ensign
May 06, 2009
Same I have spent 120,000 and not a single Bear.

One five skill book. One morphing statue. Three Banners.

A toooooon of pets.

I agree they should not be that rare. Make it where you get a token for each pack bought, for 100 tokens you could buy a rare you wanted.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Wow, and I thought I had bad luck not getting one after spending 60,000. Thank god I gave up at that stage before spending another 60,000.

I liked the latest update then did for Heroes of Dragon Age, where they increased the chance of getting rare and legndary items. Basically, they kept it random but also added a guarantee that you will get at least a Rare 1 in 4 packs or a Legendary 1 in 20 packs.

Pirates101 should have a similar guarantee, there is no reason not to. Not having a such a systems just comes across as a money grab.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013

This crown pack is based off of luck. Sometimes you'll get a companion by spending 399 crowns, or sometimes you can get it by spending 150,000 crowns. It all matters to luck, and this pack isn't always about companions either. I'm sure you got at least one pet from that pack right? Train it and head on over to Bestia. There are tons of people looking for those Grizzlehiem pets. They will give you anything.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you buy a pack hoping to get that one special item, you are sure to suffer disappointment. On the other hand, you may hit that 'jackpot'! With KI games you can earn Crowns up to 100 daily. So every four days you could try your luck without spending your own money!

Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
I wish they'd have the option of just buying one of the pets, it would be a lot cheaper and KI would make much more money that way.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Grintch on Nov 2, 2014 wrote:
I wish they'd have the option of just buying one of the pets, it would be a lot cheaper and KI would make much more money that way.
Just find a player that has it and ask them to morph with you.

Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 3, 2014 wrote:
Just find a player that has it and ask them to morph with you.
How embarrasing, I meant Companions not pets. lol

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Buying a pack expecting to get the rarest item available in the pack... well, chances are you will be disappointed. Although I love companions, I still know that everything I get from the pack is worth it, you can't count pets, pet gear, pet snacks, mounts, equipment, training tomes, treasures or housing items out, I always used to buy Tribal Crew Packs so I could sell the items and get a load of loot, I knew that if I kept going for the rarest thing that I would always be disappointed, so I went for the most common things and always felt happy I understand how frustrating it is not getting what you want, but remember that's life, if you really want something that not everyone can get, you're going to have to be patient and it will cost you, but it's from your own free will. If you know the chances and know that you may never get a pack companion, you might as well leave the pack, if the one thing you want is the highest rarity, you will keep getting disappointed, I personally think that wanting the smaller things in life makes the bigger things seem even better!
Remember patience is a virtue!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
No need to empty your bank account for it. They aren't going anywhere just buy packs when you can afford it. Wait for sales and discounts. Not everybody has the kind of money to buy in bulk lumps. It's truly not worth it to spend hundreds of dollars just for some companions.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
I understand the companions should be harder to get but really, a pack focusing on pets and companions you'd imagine they would make it just a tiny touch easier to get them, don't ya think?