Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Tedious Promotions/ Pay to Promote?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
I'm sure we can all agree that, whilst fun, companion promotions can be down right tedious. Bonnie anne is a notable offender, with 3 promotions together taking roughly 5 hours to complete. Ratbeard is second on my list. He has 3 promotions, and each of them are fairly long and tedious.
I'm thinking, there should be an option to pay to promote storyline companions. What happens in the promotion isn't mentioned later on in the story.
Though, some of them are down right funny (El Toro,), we could go on easily without doing the promotion quests and getting the reward.
Maybe, it should be an option in the near future to create a pay to promote system, where you could pay crowns (or an excessive amount of gold). I'm talking a system that costs 5,000 crowns to promote each time, and it also requires about 10,000 gold, which is, quite a lot.
Though it's something i also wouldn't want to see in the game. Promotions, whilst extremely boring are meant to be fun. Sometimes they fail (Cough, Bonnie, Cough), but overall it seems worth the time.
What do you guys think? Should we stick to the forced questing now, or have a pay to promote system?

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 62

Ensign
Nov 28, 2009
I honestly wish we had more quest promotion companions. I enjoy finding out more and hearing the backgrounds of our companions. Shiruku Neko is one such companion I genuinely desire to have a quest promotion, as her background is, in my opinion, more interesting than some of the story line companions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Promotion quests aren't tedious! I find them fun and they give information about our companion's backgrounds. Without promo quests I would never have found out that Subodai was sold to the Armada ( why? I bet I'll find out in his next promo ). A peek at Ratbeard's history was great, too. And Bonnie Anne's third promo gives depth to an already great companion; and it's also a favorite with many players. Yes it takes time, when you might wish to continue with your quests, but the results are absolutely worth it! I wish a few more of my companions would have quest promos, notably, Mustang Sally, Monkey King and Shiruku Neko! With Mark and Recall, what used to be a long trek back and forth is now conciderably shorter.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DeathWiz101378 on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
I'm sure we can all agree that, whilst fun, companion promotions can be down right tedious. Bonnie anne is a notable offender, with 3 promotions together taking roughly 5 hours to complete. Ratbeard is second on my list. He has 3 promotions, and each of them are fairly long and tedious.
I'm thinking, there should be an option to pay to promote storyline companions. What happens in the promotion isn't mentioned later on in the story.
Though, some of them are down right funny (El Toro,), we could go on easily without doing the promotion quests and getting the reward.
Maybe, it should be an option in the near future to create a pay to promote system, where you could pay crowns (or an excessive amount of gold). I'm talking a system that costs 5,000 crowns to promote each time, and it also requires about 10,000 gold, which is, quite a lot.
Though it's something i also wouldn't want to see in the game. Promotions, whilst extremely boring are meant to be fun. Sometimes they fail (Cough, Bonnie, Cough), but overall it seems worth the time.
What do you guys think? Should we stick to the forced questing now, or have a pay to promote system?

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
I personally happen to love the promotion quests and if ever given the choice would never pay to promote those faithful companions that currently have promotions. To me, some parts of a great story just simply can't be skipped over to save time, even if they aren't later referred to. It's why I love to read books- to receive and soak up every detail possible. I can't skip even a syllable in a good read- even one I have read numerous times, so I surely couldn't skip a good visual read either.

The story in P101 is a grand storybook without the paper and every chapter, quest and main storyline companions' promotions add up to a story like no other. In my opinion, the promotion quests add to us pirates getting to better know our faithful crew and allow them to enrich our gaming experience and adventures throughout the Spiral. They are nice personal touches that bond Captains to crew.

The promotion quests are spread out enough to where I don't mind the overall length of them, but I do understand those that would wish to skip them and cut time, when time is hard to come by. Those people (and I am one of them) deserve to be able to save time when and however they so choose. But for me, no way, I can't get enough of Bonnie, Ratbeard, Toro and the rest of my crew that quest for promotions.

Another thing that I would not like to see, is all of the hard work, dedication, detail and creativity that the developers and writers of those promotion quests have put in, go to waste. To me they earn the right for their art and craft to be seen each and every time.

That being said, I do respect any that would wish to skip due to time constraints. So, if KI ever decided to offer up pay to promote for the Star Cast of their wonderful play, I would be happy that it helped those that needed to save time, but you can bet I won't be shelling out any gold to skip a single Humbug moment, taking a swing at Captain Swing or going fishing for a shoe!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Slow down and enjoy the game. You will find it becomes more fun when allow yourself to become wrapped up in the story instead of how long it's taking.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Forced questing. A, 10k gold isn't really that much at max, and B, skipping quests is a bit OP.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2009
I believe that's a matter of opinion as I've found all the companion promotions to be thoroughly engaging and relevant to the world they take place in. An example of this would be Bonnie Anne's promotion in Marleybone which DOES tie into the ongoing war with the Armada as the Anarchists are running rampant due to the Marleybonians being short-handed dealing with Rooke and the Armada. Even if they weren't short-handed it's heavily implied that the Marleybonians have always had a tough time against the Anarchists of Albion.

As for the tedious-ness tell me what MMORPG doesn't have it? and for less reward as well. [Collect quests *cough*] At least we are EARNING our companion's promotions and each one adds depth of character to each one. We learn through their quests how they act, they love, they seek redemption and so on. This allows us to connect with our "Core" crew on a deep level. Think of it as a character in a book and going through each chapter, each book, and seeing that character grow through relationships and hardship.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Generally, I don't mind the promotion quests. But I would certainly have no objection to having a crown fee alternative for those who want it.

-Indigo

PS I agree that so far, el Toro's is the most fun.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
DeathWiz101378 on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
No, I don't think we can all agree to that. I enjoy the promotion quests, even if they do take a while and often require me to wait until I can get into a particular skyway. Not everyone is going to enjoy the same things, so I can see that you might find the quests unnecessary. I wonder how you would justify the significantly higher cost of leveling those crew members compared to the others that don't have a promotional quest?

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
Stick to questing. You can get valuable loot along with learning more about our companions. I would like to have promotion quests for ALL companions. Until you finish the promotion quest by talking with the companion being promoted, you can repeat parts of the quest that get you the best loot.

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
I'm sorry to say it, but I don't agree with you. I love learning about all of my crew members' pasts and stories! I loved getting to meet some of Bonnie's family and I think that paying to promote would not only be a cheap and easy way out of spending a little time doing their quests, but also would take a lot away from the characters much needed development. Character development can play a huge role in hooking the player into the game and getting the player attached to certain characters. I actually really want KingsIsle to start creating promotion quests for the side characters as well! I recruited The Marchioness and I was really hoping on learning about her story, because I really like using her in battles.

This is just my personal opinion, however, but I hope this helps! Lvl 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I have to agree with all the responders here. I have gotten my most haliairty and my most heart wrenching moments from the game in the promotion quests. They are all brilliantly done and I have been known to sell anything to get the tomes (we are talking pre update tome rarities here) to get a companion that is close to promotion to that coveted level. I cannot wait for more promotion quests and will joyfully explore each and every one.