Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My thoughts on Aquila

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
To start off, this is mainly just recommendations I would make to Aquila. I understand how this might be a huge error on my part (and you have every right to think that) since its release was around 9 months ago and have briefly said a few points in about four other posts, but I had hoped changes would have occurred in time. That has not been the case unfortunately, but I would like to recommend those changes now in further detail along with some others and hopefully you will still be willing to listen after all these months.

I really enjoyed the Illiad in this game. The dungeon bosses were truly epic and entertaining. They all had special abilities that made the fight fun. I hope you continue to do so in future fights. The second and third Chapter were pretty nice. I enjoyed the fight with the Minotaurs (it would have looked so cool though if at least one of them had the epic armor as the one shown on the minotaur of Nova Aquila) and the Hydra. The Halls of Minos and Talos could probably use a more epic end fight though.

The Odyssey just sort of seemed like it could have been so much better. It did have some nice plot in it and the Scylla fight was entertaining as well (I still say Charybdis should do something though). Unoculum and Anthemusa were very scare and empty despite of their size. Rabbits roaming around everywhere just didn't seem enough. Unoculum would look great with more enemy Cyclopes, and Anthemusa would be much more memorable with at least a fight with the Sirens.

The Medusa and Antinous fight also seemed to be very plain and anticlimactic. At least one of the two should have ended Aquila with a bang. After fighting Banditti, Khagan, Mari, Hykssoss, the Minotaurs, the Hydra, and Chief Antiphates, one would expect a super hard fight in the end. I can at least name three out of the ones I just listed that were harder than Medusa and Antinous. I recommend changing Medusa back to before she was nerfed or make her Gorgon's Gaze more frequent as well as increasing the chance of petrification. Antinous needs at least something. Minions spawning until he dies, a special power like Discipline or Battle Zeal, or a wall of enemies that protect him like the one Motagu forms in the Flooded Tunnels.

My last paragraph brings complaint as well as an inquiry. I am confused why we have so many No Trade Aquila Totems, Charms, and Rings that don't do anything at all, but provide stats. Most No Trade items in previous worlds had a special power or epic along with them. I am confused whether this is intended since it has been like this for so long or if its just a bug. The No Trade Items could offer power and epics the bosses use. For example, the Adder's Fang could offer Discipline (actually now I might understand). I still think they should have more purpose other than for some stats that can be found on regular items or for a bit of gold.

That's about everything I have to say about Aquila. Thanks for reading and sorry for any offense.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
No offense taken. In fact I would have to agree with you. I thought the last bosses could've used a little spice as well.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
I enjoy how much time you put into this thread! But try not to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't reached Aquila yet (I'm definitely not saying that you're spoiling anything! Please don't take me the wrong way).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
The Admiral on Feb 21, 2014 wrote:
To start off, this is mainly just recommendations I would make to Aquila. I understand how this might be a huge error on my part (and you have every right to think that) since its release was around 9 months ago and have briefly said a few points in about four other posts, but I had hoped changes would have occurred in time. That has not been the case unfortunately, but I would like to recommend those changes now in further detail along with some others and hopefully you will still be willing to listen after all these months.

I really enjoyed the Illiad in this game. The dungeon bosses were truly epic and entertaining. They all had special abilities that made the fight fun. I hope you continue to do so in future fights. The second and third Chapter were pretty nice. I enjoyed the fight with the Minotaurs (it would have looked so cool though if at least one of them had the epic armor as the one shown on the minotaur of Nova Aquila) and the Hydra. The Halls of Minos and Talos could probably use a more epic end fight though.

The Odyssey just sort of seemed like it could have been so much better. It did have some nice plot in it and the Scylla fight was entertaining as well (I still say Charybdis should do something though). Unoculum and Anthemusa were very scare and empty despite of their size. Rabbits roaming around everywhere just didn't seem enough. Unoculum would look great with more enemy Cyclopes, and Anthemusa would be much more memorable with at least a fight with the Sirens.

The Medusa and Antinous fight also seemed to be very plain and anticlimactic. At least one of the two should have ended Aquila with a bang. After fighting Banditti, Khagan, Mari, Hykssoss, the Minotaurs, the Hydra, and Chief Antiphates, one would expect a super hard fight in the end. I can at least name three out of the ones I just listed that were harder than Medusa and Antinous. I recommend changing Medusa back to before she was nerfed or make her Gorgon's Gaze more frequent as well as increasing the chance of petrification. Antinous needs at least something. Minions spawning until he dies, a special power like Discipline or Battle Zeal, or a wall of enemies that protect him like the one Motagu forms in the Flooded Tunnels.

My last paragraph brings complaint as well as an inquiry. I am confused why we have so many No Trade Aquila Totems, Charms, and Rings that don't do anything at all, but provide stats. Most No Trade items in previous worlds had a special power or epic along with them. I am confused whether this is intended since it has been like this for so long or if its just a bug. The No Trade Items could offer power and epics the bosses use. For example, the Adder's Fang could offer Discipline (actually now I might understand). I still think they should have more purpose other than for some stats that can be found on regular items or for a bit of gold.

That's about everything I have to say about Aquila. Thanks for reading and sorry for any offense.
No offense taken, of course. That is what these boards are for. So we can tell KingsIsle and the readers what we think. The sharing of thoughts is what communication is all about. As long as no one insults someone here and it passes moderation, all thoughts are welcome.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012

Did KI nerf Medusa? She was such a paper tiger in test realm because she had to fight my crew alone, that I didn't notice. Medusa is much tougher now that she has some back-up.
I enjoyed Aquila. I agree that Ulysses Palace and Medusa's lair are too easy, but it's great work. Good story and artwork, and the lines almost all match the audio on the dialogue now.
Of course there is room for improvement. There needs to be better No Auction (and no trade) gear in Aquila.
Most of my pirates still wear a lot of MooShu gear. Not because they never found the best Aquila gear, but because the late-offered MooShu gear is better. None of the gear with power cards from Aquila or Marleybone has better powers available than anything on MooShu gear. Until MB, every world had higher leveled cards on the gear than the world before it. Now the power of the gear has plateaued, unless you buy bundles and use the gear from them.
Also, it's high time KI released some furniture in Aquila, besides the big pile of gold. Put AQ furniture and pets on the loot tables for drops and in the Furniture Vendor shop. If I had to choose between these things and new storyline content I say Please Extend the Story! But you already have thee artwork done for all this stuff. Just add powers or talents to the existing No Trade No Auction gear, and work the furniture into the loot tables, and we will go out and farm the stuff while we wait for new content, like we did after you released the new CR and MS gear before the last content release.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
1Of1Musketeer on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
I enjoy how much time you put into this thread! But try not to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't reached Aquila yet (I'm definitely not saying that you're spoiling anything! Please don't take me the wrong way).
I sure hear you in that you are not accusing. You kind spirit is well noted. The best way to not pick any information on higher level stuff is to simply not read that section. Let's say you are still in Cool Ranch, then don't read the posts titled Mooshu, Marleybone or Aquila. Then you will get your wonderful surprises as intended and you can go to these threads only if you have a problem or question.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 23, 2014 wrote:
I sure hear you in that you are not accusing. You kind spirit is well noted. The best way to not pick any information on higher level stuff is to simply not read that section. Let's say you are still in Cool Ranch, then don't read the posts titled Mooshu, Marleybone or Aquila. Then you will get your wonderful surprises as intended and you can go to these threads only if you have a problem or question.
Yep your right

Pirate101 fans, stay cool and keep lovin' Pirate101!

Developer

No offense taken at all - feedback is always welcome.

Aquila was a real beast to develop, both from a story and implementation standpoint. I'd been thinking about it for a LONG time - back when we weren't sure how much we'd go live with, before the world order firmed up, we'd laid a lot of groundwork because there was a chance we'd need to build it sooner rather than later.

I knew right off that I wanted to do the Illiad and the Odyssey - that was a no brainer. The bit between them ended up being a little more tricky. There was something else i wanted to do instead of the minotaur, but we were unable to get it built (it may return someday as a gauntlet, if I get my way), and then the Minotaur story grew as we ironed it out. That's why Aquila is a little bit of an overstuffed Book, about 1.3 to 1.5 times the size of what I think a standard Book should be.

The Odyssey, compared to the Illiad, is a bit anticlimatctic. There's much less spectacle there, when compared to burning Troy. I knew that going in, and we tried to compensate as much as we could - it's why the Hydra and Medusa are included in the last act. I also liked the story conceits we twisted in - poor Polyphemus as just a house sitter, having you pursue Ulysses (who has a nasty habit of leaving his crew behind) rahter than go with him or drive him home. I thought was a nifty twist: instead of the epic hero, he's actually kind of a jerk, but his trials turn him around, and in his homecoming we find his heart of gold.

Another problem with the Odyssey that I discovered once we were in the thick of it was that a lot of its core encounters don't really suit themselves to our gameplay. I wanted to have Circe change your crew into pigs, but that was really beyond our capabilities, and besides, when you can teleport out anytime you want or call for friends, we can't "trap" you anywhere without a lot of hand waving that rings false. Fighting the Sirens also rang false for me (I don't want you to go in and clobber a bunch of girls - it seems unseemly), so like Polyphemus we went for the funny there with the ear wax. Ultimately, we went big with Scylla - that was a fight we spent months figuring out how to even stage, and a ton of effort went into making it and the Hydra. Some of the other Odyssey bits couldn't get as much love by comparison.

Future polish is always possible (as for why there hasn't been any yet, you'll soon find out what we've been up to). Beefing up the Gorgon and the suitors is definitely something to consider. Ultimately, the Odyssey is a personal story instead of a sweeping epic - without seriously compromising the sources or rigging a gauntlet for gauntlet's sake that felt artificial I couldn't see a way to punch it up to Troy levels. That's another reason we didn't split Aquila into 2 books - having the Odyssey be an entire book might make it suffer even more by comparison. I also hoped that the revelations at the end would compensate at least a little.