Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchdoctors- Do they get enough?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 24, 2009
Witchdoctor was my first class (Just can't let go of the magic.) But I notice I often find myself needing help! It is rare for a witchdoctor to critical, and defeating enemies is slow because of how weak we are. We only have 2 really strong spells, only good if we have enough will.

I have living proof that witchdoctors don't get enough because even my Privateer friend tried witchdoctor to level 20 because it is too hard. Other schools have an easier time, if they don't their gear is just not fit for their level.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
Mister Admantechia... on Jul 9, 2013 wrote:
Witchdoctor was my first class (Just can't let go of the magic.) But I notice I often find myself needing help! It is rare for a witchdoctor to critical, and defeating enemies is slow because of how weak we are. We only have 2 really strong spells, only good if we have enough will.

I have living proof that witchdoctors don't get enough because even my Privateer friend tried witchdoctor to level 20 because it is too hard. Other schools have an easier time, if they don't their gear is just not fit for their level.
WD is a easy class to solo pve with.

We have the highest damage of any class other then musketeers we have self heals that also damage we can reduce damage we can summon our own army etc etc.

If you have having issues soloing in pve as a WD then you need to look for better gear find a new tactic that works better or if all else fails play another class that best suites your playstyle.

As for pvp since all classes are for the most part balanced this will come down to the player and not the toon.

If you need proof of how high our damage can get i have pictures posted on pirate101central.com in the witchdoctor thread of my damage on just a super hit.

Also we have more then just 2 skills that do high damage

Cruel Darius Blake(65) (101 will level)

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Witchdoctors are weak? Seriously?

Oh my... got to be nice.. hmmm. Well, if you think you are weak, try updating your gear. Will is important, but so is damage, so try gear that has resistance, high will, and damage.

Gear with cards can be nice, but are not always the best, but some are really helpful.
There are Totems, Charms, and Rings that give resistance and will with great cards such as mojo storm or Valor's armor or even revive.

Use Staffy weapons that have good range, keep your distance and attack from afar and send in melee companions. If you are using weapons that don't have staffy, you lose your class damage boosts. If you use multi-class weapons, you lose the range boost.

Witchdoctors are easily one of the most powerful classes, if you play them correctly and not try and play them as a different class. They are witchdoctors, not a melee class like buccaneer or swashbuckler, so play them as a witchdoctor and as a ranged class.

Hope this helps, because I don't understand any complaint that the witchdoctors are weak. Not the case!

Ensign
Jan 15, 2011
You can say that witchdoctors are the "advanced" class just like necromancers in Wizard101. They will be difficult to use at first, but once you learn about strategy with them, you will find out that they are a very powerful class.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Just tried it to level 20? Well there is your problem. All classes are fairly weak until they get into the 20s. They they all starting kicking some serious tush. This is when our companions start promoting too and they get more powerful too. Just be a little patient. I can remember having problems in Cool Ranch with a couple of my classes but when I hit that 'magical' 20s barrier it got way easier. Hang in there and build your foundation and you will start seeing just how powerful that class can really be.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012

well I have been using a witchdoctor for a while now and have gotten to lvl 34 and have had no issues in fact I look back on my swashbuckler and privateer and see how much easier it was with my witchdoctor so you just might not be doing side quests that lvl you up and as for will juju and the other juju spells increase your will and that makes you spells stronger and spawning a skeletal pirate and the other witchdoctor spawns strong
Slick Cody Jonesprivateer lvl 65
Merciless Ethan Jenkinsswashbuckler lvl 65
Leo Richardsonwitchdoctor lvl 34

Ensign
Jul 26, 2011
Lol I have no idea what you're talking about. Witchdoctors are amazing! So many powers and spells the combinations are endless :D Being a witchdoctor I can solo quite easily. I first started with a swashbuckler until lvl 25 and then I tried a witchdoctor and I instantly loved it. So maybe it's probably because you don't get good gear? Not sure but stick with it!

Alura Legend Lvl 63

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
I'm a witchdoctor and I solo almost everything. I think witchdoctors get more than enough. (Not saying that's a bad thing! That's quite good. ) We can drain our enemies' health and get health back from them. We can summon skeletons to help us. We can attack from far away. Don't give up on your witchdoctor pirate. You just need to figure out how to grasp the power of ........ Witchdoctory? Witchdoctorism? Whatever.....

Rachel - Level 46

Captain
May 16, 2011
Witchdoctors might be weak in your opinion, but in my opinion, if you train a witchdoctor right, you can be downright pretty ruthless.

I have recently brought my witchdoctor; Modest Hank Ironside, up to max level. And this Hank has soloed over two/thirds of the game. If you're having trouble, may I suggest that you start farming Phule? His three drop are pretty worthy for witchdoctors. Well, Phule's Wand isn't that great, but the other two drops; Phule's Medallion and Phule's Mask really work well. With Phule's Medallion and Mask, I owned the hydra. It was no match for my combination of two Juju's, the fog spell thing that Phule's Mask gives, and Mojo Reaver. And Witchdoctor's can do so much more, if you train them right.

So just remember - Translation: Witchdoctors are super powerful.

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
Witchdoctors are quite powerful, and they get plenty with awesome skills and such. The only downside I'd say is the bizarre series of animal companions they get that are never quite good.

Ensign
May 26, 2011
I think witchdoctors do get enough power if you use them right. however against people with high resist it can be hard. I do think there aren't enough witch doctor enemies though.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
Yes witchdoctors get enough and I critical by getting super and mega hits .also it is my first class so every class may seem hard at first but it will get easier .

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010

Well I am a witchdoctors and I soloed skull island monquistia Valencia cool ranch Mooshu marleybone and aqulia .i am romantic rebbeca ivring level 65 .so they are really powerful see you in the spiral

Ensign
Dec 27, 2012
I've actually been thinking about that. So I'll give you a quick lesson on MU (Magic Users), from all genres of rpg (role playing games)

The Witchdoctor class is a classic MU class. What that means is the class is very weak at lower levels but turns into a potent power house at higher levels, and since Pirate 101 is based on a high level standard, you won't see any benefits to the class till you are well into your 30's or 40's level wise. It is this reason that many gamers feel that MU classes are advanced classes and should be taken on by more experienced players.

However in Pirate 101 you have the ability to pick second class skills. I say again in pirate 101 you have the ability to pick second class skills. As a witchdoctor this is more important than any of the other classes, because your secondary skills from your secondary class will be your primary means of defending yourself till you get to you higher levels. I will say it again, as a witchdoctor this is more important than any of the other classes because your secondary skills from your secondary class will be your primary means of defending yourself to you get to higher levels. Now I'm not trying to be mean by repeating myself, it's just that how important it is.

Oh FYI, I found the best secondary skill/class for the Witchdoctor is the Musketeer, but that's for another thread.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Welcome to the message boards Alacaran . Very informative. I look forward to hearing what else you hearing what else you have to share.

Ensign
Nov 23, 2011
I recently created another pirate who is a Witchdoctor and when I used my staff I kept fizzling (Something that really bugged me with the Storm School from Wizard101). However when I switched to a slashy/stabby weapon things changed and I more effective in terms of strength and accuracy. Also when you first create a pirate, if you plan on being a witchdoctor, I would choose to be from Grizzlehiem because it will make toughness your overall stat and you will be able to last in battle longer. In terms of strength, I would stick to swords, and I would choose the swashbuckler class as my second for more power and tricks and the buccaneer or privateer classes for further strength and powering up my weapons. Just a few suggestions. That's what I did.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
After playing a witchdoctor for just a little while, I am a bit surprised at this thread (though others have addressed it well). My witchdoctor (Anneke) just hit level 15, and so far I think she has had the easiest time of my characters. She gets a tremendous range with some of her powers, and does really significant damage. Yes, she does fizzle quite a bit using her staff, but usually a battle is over or nearly so when she has used up her powers. (Mind you I found some boots that give an extra mojo blast, and that has been useful). So far she has not even been knocked out in a fight (Anne and Charlotte, swashbuckler and privateer respectively, had that happen often at low level), not to mention even lost a fight yet. I do try to get Anneke gear that boosts her will (and the chicken juju is typically the first thing I cast, if I can, in a fight), and presently at low level, fighting comparatively low level villains, my witchdoctor does very, very well.

I have heard that in Marleybone and Aquila there are some significant challenges for witchdoctors, and I am looking forward to them when the time comes. And I have a bit of an inkling: my privateer Charlotte had a bit of a surprise from Rooke when she used her mojo blade (courtesy of a talisman) against him. That surprise attack was pretty cool, really.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
WinterTundra2 on Aug 31, 2013 wrote:
I recently created another pirate who is a Witchdoctor and when I used my staff I kept fizzling (Something that really bugged me with the Storm School from Wizard101). However when I switched to a slashy/stabby weapon things changed and I more effective in terms of strength and accuracy. Also when you first create a pirate, if you plan on being a witchdoctor, I would choose to be from Grizzlehiem because it will make toughness your overall stat and you will be able to last in battle longer. In terms of strength, I would stick to swords, and I would choose the swashbuckler class as my second for more power and tricks and the buccaneer or privateer classes for further strength and powering up my weapons. Just a few suggestions. That's what I did.
Did you run out of powers because if you still have the powers then use them and I usually don't fizzle

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 1, 2013 wrote:
After playing a witchdoctor for just a little while, I am a bit surprised at this thread (though others have addressed it well). My witchdoctor (Anneke) just hit level 15, and so far I think she has had the easiest time of my characters. She gets a tremendous range with some of her powers, and does really significant damage. Yes, she does fizzle quite a bit using her staff, but usually a battle is over or nearly so when she has used up her powers. (Mind you I found some boots that give an extra mojo blast, and that has been useful). So far she has not even been knocked out in a fight (Anne and Charlotte, swashbuckler and privateer respectively, had that happen often at low level), not to mention even lost a fight yet. I do try to get Anneke gear that boosts her will (and the chicken juju is typically the first thing I cast, if I can, in a fight), and presently at low level, fighting comparatively low level villains, my witchdoctor does very, very well.

I have heard that in Marleybone and Aquila there are some significant challenges for witchdoctors, and I am looking forward to them when the time comes. And I have a bit of an inkling: my privateer Charlotte had a bit of a surprise from Rooke when she used her mojo blade (courtesy of a talisman) against him. That surprise attack was pretty cool, really.
I agree with ya Anne, my witchdoctor Merciful Christina was the first one through the game as far as Mooshu and she had a blast. She rarely needed help, although never turned it down, cause friends are fun but she powered her way through stuff that left her other pirate sisters sitting stunned at a life fountain wondering what happened to them.
As Merciful Chrissy was the oldest she was the one that went through the test realm and suffered the most from the shell shock of the higher levels, lol, or as Ratbeard called it, she was one of those running out of the test realm screaming like her hair was on fire . She learned a lot and taught her younger sisters a lot about having to think differently and to think first about who you are fighting before you charge in there and expect to do what you have always done. That is a good way to make you familiar with the life fountains again, lol. She taught them well with her hard earned wisdom. You must think now and there are always ways to work around those tougher bosses. Yea the battles are tougher but that victory whoop is all the more sweet.