Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Armadillo pets have lost health

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
My Armadillo pet has recently lost health.
And the Armadillo is a great pet that had to be farmed for by anyone that wanted one...

Now your selling them? KI sure knows how to suck the fun out of their games.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Developer
Unintentional-- I'll fix it with the next patch.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Dr Zeppers on Mar 22, 2013 wrote:
My Armadillo pet has recently lost health.
And the Armadillo is a great pet that had to be farmed for by anyone that wanted one...

Now your selling them? KI sure knows how to suck the fun out of their games.
They are not selling the armadillo verde. They're selling what look like Peeps brand armadillos as a (probably) temporary thing. How on Earth does that suck the fun out of the game? People who want the 'dillo verde will still have to farm. If the pleasure you got from having the 'dillo verde was the sense of satisfaction that you managed to farm on and someone else didn't, that still holds true. Your patience and hard work has not been negated by my spending a couple of bucks on a totally different pet, any more than my pleasure in a wobbly yellow armadillo pet should be affected by the fact that yours is probably better defined and green.

Not everyone is going to want to be seen in 'public' with that batik buffaloon or the pink chocolope terribly long. You get other pets that are cool; some pirates switch out pets every time they get a new one.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2012
i agree with Saint

I'm disappointed to know the week i wasted farming for one of these armadillos was wasted and all i had to really do was wait and buy it from crown shop. Yes took me a week before one would finally drop for me no other drop pet took me that long to get.

Kinda kills the good feeling you get knowing you put in the effort for a good pet when you log in and see a pink and blue one for sale in the crown shop

Ensign
Jul 01, 2009
Oh good. I was very worried, as all my pets lost their health, which made them pretty much useless in battle. Can't wait for the fix. Thank you. :)

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Mar 23, 2013 wrote:
Thanks for the update Ratbeard, looking forward to my pet being his regular self again soon.

As far as someone asking how does some of these changes make things less fun.
Changing rewards that people worked/played very hard for subtracts from the accomplishment that was made, making the prospect of doing any further farming for stuff a lot less fun. "I'd farm for that special gear, but if KI nerfs it, its not worth the time and effort", and if they nerf it after i've already spent the time, then my time/effort was wasted.

If you worked for hours upon hours to get a piece of gear because of its awesome stats, and they nerfed the gear the day after you finally got it, or they offered it to everyone through the crownshop the day after you finally got the drop, it would pretty much ruin your fun/mood too.

And I now recognize the new versions of armadillos being sold are still not quite what we got in our Armadillo Verdes.

Developer
For the record, I do not "stealth nerf" anything. You can put that on the list next to "Nerfing classes to rebalance for PvP!" Despite the speculation, it is simply not happening. I spend my time dreaming of ways to improve your play experience, not squash it. I play this game, too.

That said, we absolutely will rebalance the game from time to time in the best interests of the game's overall health. The game is subject to change; it is important to know that. And I do my best to keep Jack informed so that he in turn can keep you all informed.

This change was due to me tinkering with the idea of raising pet damage at the same time that I was overhauling and improving the Summons. I changed my mind, and this change was unintended. We'll get them back to "normal" soon.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Mar 23, 2013 wrote:
Hey Ratbeard ye ole scurvy dog ye!

When might we see this "correction" that was promised on our Armadillo Pets?
Its been a couple months now...

Developer
Dr Zeppers on May 22, 2013 wrote:
Hey Ratbeard ye ole scurvy dog ye!

When might we see this "correction" that was promised on our Armadillo Pets?
Its been a couple months now...
The rollback of the (unintended) health rebalance should already be in-- I fixed it the same day we last discussed it. This was related to a rebalance of the summons, and an unintended Pets health change was made at that time.

And I'll double check again that the pets are pointing at the correct stats.

On the other hand, if you're expecting the health to roll back to some specific (arbitrary) point, I'm obligated to warn you that there will not be any further rollback.

Developer
Pets are currently balanced to have (roughly) half the health and half the damage of a companion (of the same level).

This is as intended, and reflects the desired overall game balance.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on May 24, 2013 wrote:
Pets are currently balanced to have (roughly) half the health and half the damage of a companion (of the same level).

This is as intended, and reflects the desired overall game balance.
I can appreciate that, so lets compare what you've said to what the game actually presents.

Seems like some real fuzzy math if thats the case.
I believe the Armadillo would fall in the buccaneer school if it were reflected.

Here are my only 2 buccaneer companions for comparison.
Neither have been given health boosts during training.

Level 50 Ratbeard
Health: 1824
Damage: 168-271

Level 50 Batacuda
Health: 1806
Damage: 168-270

Level 56 Armadillo Verde
Health: 839 (x2 = 1678)
Damage: 73-116 (x2 146-232)

My level 56 pet has less than half of its level 50 counterparts.
This doesnt even appear to "roughly" present half of its equal leveled companion counterparts.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2013 wrote:
For the record, I do not "stealth nerf" anything. You can put that on the list next to "Nerfing classes to rebalance for PvP!" Despite the speculation, it is simply not happening. I spend my time dreaming of ways to improve your play experience, not squash it. I play this game, too.

That said, we absolutely will rebalance the game from time to time in the best interests of the game's overall health. The game is subject to change; it is important to know that. And I do my best to keep Jack informed so that he in turn can keep you all informed.

This change was due to me tinkering with the idea of raising pet damage at the same time that I was overhauling and improving the Summons. I changed my mind, and this change was unintended. We'll get them back to "normal" soon.
Well, you have definitely not gotten "Pets" back to normal, they are horrible and not worth the crowns or time anymore. In fact, pets are getting to be more of a hindrance in Marleybone than helpful... They do NOT have 1/2 health of any companion of the same level, they do NOT do 1/2 damage of a companion of that level...

If you want people to like pets, buy pets, and keep pets, then something needs to be done, because as of now, this is not balanced in any way shape or form!

DarthJT

Community Leader
I must agree with DarthJT.

The help vs hindrance ratio for pets has drastically turned against the pets as we move forward.

With the cluttered battleboards we are seeing much of now, they are more of hindrance (They get in the way and choke up already narrow paths on battleboards) than help with their current abilities, and our ability to control them.

Community Leader
So...

Will pets eventually have "roughly" half the health, and "roughly" do half the damage of similar leveled companions? Currently they arent close (weve reflected data showing they dont even compare to companions several levels below them). My friends an I have now removed our pets in Marleybone/Aquila as they cause more trouble than assistance.

If pets are simply meant to be a novelty then I guess they are still doing their jobs in our backpacks and banks. If they were supposed to actually do/mean something then they seriously "need work".

Considering it is likely some form of the Wizard101 pet system will eventually be implemented, balance with stronger more powerful pets should be anticipated.

Developer
Pets do not fall in any class. They have low health like swashbucklers and low damage like privateers. They have low ability scores that grow to average. For a variety of reasons like this, the best way to describe them is in "rough" terms.

I have gone to the trouble of leveling my Sarah Steele to 53rd level, the same as me and my Pet, and resetting all her talents.

Her health is 1607.
My L53 Chameleon pet's health is 797.

My only Privateer is Gracie Conrad, who I just picked up at L54. Her damage is 141-230, which includes +13 from Will, for an average "damage" stat of about 173.

My pet's damage is 69-110, which includes +9 for his ability score of 46 (information you do not have access to unfortunately), for an average "damage" stat of about 81.

Administrator
. . . and with that, I'm not locking and closing this thread. Ratbeard has fixed the bug and the discussion has taken an inappropriate turn for this topic.

Thank you Ratbeard for your assistance!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*